• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Amir Al 41 minutes 4 rebounds.

Embarrassing. I know bread hates people who say it, but we just grossly overpaid for him. I get why it's a nice look to get a free agent here finally, and he does add some offense in terms of ball movement and spreading the floor, but his rebounding and rim protection issues are a very serious problem.

Beyond that I have no idea why amir still gets significant minutes. What does he really do at an NBA level for that position? Hes not a great defender, poor rebounder for the position, not a shot blocker, doesn't bring much in the way of offense. Flat out stinks.

Bread

Banned
Al's strength is not rebounding, we knew this going in. We need another guy next to him if we want to win a playoff series. I think we'll see how much Ainge believes in this team soon, if he doesn't go out and get another big then I think he knows he needs a big revamp to make them a contender.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Al's strength is not rebounding, we knew this going in. We need another guy next to him if we want to win a playoff series. I think we'll see how much Ainge believes in this team soon, if he doesn't go out and get another big then I think he knows he needs a big revamp to make them a contender.

He's an all around player for the most part. I knew he wasn't a great rebounder but I didn't know he was this horrible. I also thought he was a plus defender down low, and while he gets some blocks he doesn't provide really anything in the way of rim protection. He does see the floor well as a big man, he does spread the floor, but he doesn't really have a post game and he's a mediocre shooter. I just figured he was at least decent in those areas, but unfortunately in this NBA guys like mozgov get paid.

Also again Terry rozier please goaway.

Obviously I don't get to watch him much, is he still working his way back to his peak from the break? A few years ago people were saying he was becoming the best 2 way player in the league. Feel like he's cooled a bit.

They also had a new starting point guard, figured out their best lineups (or at least the players they should bench - Ellis), a new starting PF, and a 20 year old sophomore center that is probably headed for an all star career. Oh, and a new coach.

It was always going to take a while for the Pacers to get out of their funk.

As for PG13, look up the box scores on the Raptors-Pacers series last year. Paul George nearly took down the Raptors singlehandedly. He's not at the level he was at before, I guess, but the Pacers haven't been there either.

As for defense, he sorta crushed Harden the other night, so I'm assuming he's still up there on D

Tom Penny

Embarrassing. I know bread hates people who say it, but we just grossly overpaid for him. I get why it's a nice look to get a free agent here finally, and he does add some offense in terms of ball movement and spreading the floor, but his rebounding and rim protection issues are a very serious problem.

Beyond that I have no idea why amir still gets significant minutes. What does he really do at an NBA level for that position? Hes not a great defender, poor rebounder for the position, not a shot blocker, doesn't bring much in the way of offense. Flat out stinks.

They need to trade Amir's corpse for Vucevic to get something out of that spot.

Nerlens motherfucking Noel. Seriously, put him at the 5 playing more minutes than Philly are giving him and just let Horford fuck over to the 4 and fix 2 issues with one awesome player.

Noel averages over 2 steals and 2 blocks per 36 minutes. That's ridiculous, not even Draymond Green has those numbers.

random25

Obviously I don't get to watch him much, is he still working his way back to his peak from the break? A few years ago people were saying he was becoming the best 2 way player in the league. Feel like he's cooled a bit.

PG13 is surely returning to form after that devastating injury. Him posterizing Capella and limiting Harden to one of his worst scoring nights this season during the Rockets game shows that he's almost back there. He's still inconsistent in scoring but he's really getting more aggressive than before.

He's an all around player for the most part. I knew he wasn't a great rebounder but I didn't know he was this horrible. I also thought he was a plus defender down low, and while he gets some blocks he doesn't provide really anything in the way of rim protection. He does see the floor well as a big man, he does spread the floor, but he doesn't really have a post game and he's a mediocre shooter. I just figured he was at least decent in those areas, but unfortunately in this NBA guys like mozgov get paid.

Also again Terry rozier please goaway.

He's not a rim protector, but he's a good defender.

Idk, he would probably be better if there was an actual center for rim protection on the Celtics.

Iirc, Howard got more rebounds in the first game the Hawks had, or the one matchup between the Cavs and Hawks, than Horford had in the full 4 games against the Cavs last year in the playoffs

Nerlens motherfucking Noel. Seriously, put him at the 5 playing more minutes than Philly are giving him and just let Horford fuck over to the 4 and fix 2 issues with one awesome player.

Noel averages over 2 steals and 2 blocks per 36 minutes. That's ridiculous, not even Draymond Green has those numbers.

Not saying Noel isn't damn talented, but careful extrapolating stats like that

Ibaka would be a huge get for basically every team that wants a stretch 4, or a rim blocking 4 to pair with a more offensively talented, perimeter oriented 5

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
PG13 is surely returning to form after that devastating injury. Him posterizing Capella and limiting Harden to one of his worst scoring nights this season during the Rockets game shows that he's almost back there. He's still inconsistent in scoring but he's really getting more aggressive than before.

Good to hear, more talent the better for the league.

They also had a new starting point guard, figured out their best lineups (or at least the players they should bench - Ellis), a new starting PF, and a 20 year old sophomore center that is probably headed for an all star career. Oh, and a new coach.

It was always going to take a while for the Pacers to get out of their funk.

As for PG13, look up the box scores on the Raptors-Pacers series last year. Paul George nearly took down the Raptors singlehandedly. He's not at the level he was at before, I guess, but the Pacers haven't been there either.

As for defense, he sorta crushed Harden the other night, so I'm assuming he's still up there on D

No I understand that part for sure, and I've checked stats and box scores, but it's not quite the same as the eye test.

Also fake edit- but as much as I think Zeller is the absolute worst, it's clear he's a better rebounder than the garbage we have in amir.

Edit- god damn Lowry did this earlier this year in the 4th just unbelievable defense from smart but ridiculously clutch shots from Lowry.

Servbot24

Banned
Can't blame IT for flopping

Still hard to believe that injury happened and he's back playing at an all-star level

Not saying Noel isn't damn talented, but careful extrapolating stats like that

Yeah I understand you, but the fact that he averages around this 2-2 thing for his entire career. Even if it doesn't translate fully with a heavier load, the potential is insane.

The only thing I don't like is that he's likely to be a bit overpriced considering some concerns about his health (which I don't know if they still exist, I haven't been following that closely). He's the kind of guy that would be great to buy low, like really really great. I'm afraid Philly is a bit too smart to do that though lol.

Servbot24

Banned
I haven't watched much Celtics this year, damn IT is really good at basketball

Their TV commentators are really bad at commentating though

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I haven't watched much Celtics this year, damn IT is really good at basketball

Their TV commentators are really bad at commentating though

Nah Mike Gorman is amazing. Tommy is rough to listen to though. IT is something else in the 4th, it just keeps happening.

Respect to Jaylen for playing heavy minutes in the big games for a team this deep into post-season contention. It hasn't always been perfect, but he looks fine out there more often than not. Clearly he's a work in progress, but I'm a believer.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Respect to Jaylen for playing heavy minutes in the big games for a team this deep into post-season contention. It hasn't always been perfect, but he looks fine out there more often than not. Clearly he's a work in progress, but I'm a believer.

He's a hair away from a bunch of little things, but he's an absolutely explosive athlete. He's a damn good rebounder for his position, prolific at getting to the line. He needs to tighten up his handle a bit, soften the touch a tiny bit, and get more consistent with his release. Has tons of potential.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Maybe I jinxed Lowry, just struggling right now.

Edit-
Well the Nets blew a 4th quarter league no matter what happens :)

Yuuup that's 2 in a row in the 4th and it seems the heat are officially out of the running. Front runner to challenge becomes Phoenix.

Tom Penny

Maybe I jinxed Lowry, just struggling right now.

Edit-

Yuuup that's 2 in a row in the 4th and it seems the heat are officially out of the running. Front runner to challenge becomes Phoenix.

Lake show too.. IT making me want them to pay a midget. Insane...

TTG

The shooting in this Bulls/Thunder game is incredible. One 3 point field goal made between the two teams in the first. The sniper in question? Roberson.

He's a hair away from a bunch of little things, but he's an absolutely explosive athlete. He's a damn good rebounder for his position, prolific at getting to the line. He needs to tighten up his handle a bit, soften the touch a tiny bit, and get more consistent with his release. Has tons of potential.

Yeah I expected him to be much rawer and even the parts that could be better you can see that it's reasonable to expect it happen. The fact that he's holding his own is a great sign.

Damn the game getting tense.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jaylen needs to work on his handle all off season the rest will come. He will draw fouls regularly.

He has a very workable shot form, he just needs to get more consistent with it. The best part is his defense though, with his frame, length, and athleticism he can cover from 1-4. He could average 20+ if he puts it all together, be a damn good 2 way player.

The Heat at 9 in a row now. If anything, I saw this season definitely vindicates Spoelstra as coach.
If they are going to be serious about a playoff run then by all means continue playing like they are right now. But it would be a shame if they win only like 32 games and waste valuable draft position.

Top Bottom