• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

The Celtics are in the second place in the East with their second best player having missed quite some time. That's some Coach of the Year stuff from President Stevens.

spyder_ur

Reading some nice stuff about Yabu and especially Zizic overseas for the Cs. Even Nader is tearing up the D League. Everyone's focused on the Brooklyn picks and the young guys, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them be a part of any deadline deals, especially with the roster numbers where they are.

One GM on Zizic: "The general manager speculated that if Zizic had not come out last season, when the Celtics got him with the 23rd pick, “he would almost certainly be a lottery pick in this draft, maybe Top 10, even though this is a deeper draft than last year."

Without DeRozan too

Not over one of D'Antoni, Fizdale, Snyder, or Brooks

Celts didn't have Bradley or Olynyk also.

I think he has a decent shot at COTY. Should've won it last year IMO (well Pop should probably win it every year). Could see D'Antoni or Fizdale for sure, definitely not to the latter two.

Not over one of D'Antoni, Fizdale, Snyder, or Brooks

They're all doing a great job, but the Celtics have a better record than all of these teams except Houston and the Rockets could be cooling down. Stevens is at least in the conversation (I might give the nod to Fizdale because that Grizzlies team should suck).

nah just some MVP shit from IT

I'd be cool with that too. He's at least an All NBA.

They're all doing a great job, but the Celtics have a better record than all of these teams except Houston and the Rockets could be cooling down. Stevens is at least in the conversation (I might give the nod to Fizdale because that Grizzlies team should suck).

I'd be cool with that too. He's at least an All NBA.

Wizards started 2-8, have had 4th best record since December 1st, and 2nd best record in January.

Grizzlies:
Marc Gasol has missed 3 games
Tony Allen has missed 8 games
Zach Randolph has missed 8 games
Mike Conley has missed 13 games
Troy Daniels has missed 16 games.

Jazz are waaay worse too:
Hayward has missed 8 games.
Diaw has missed 10 games.
Rodney Hood has missed 11 games.
Derrick Favors has missed 17 games
George Hill has missed 25 games
Alec Burks has missed 37 games.

Grizzlies are 30-21, and their most common opponents are the Rockets, Mavs, Spurs, and Pelicans. Jazz are 31-19. Celtics are 31-18, and in the eastern conference.

Quin Snyder is actually shaping up to be a better choice than Fizdale (especially because they're more comparable), plus Snyder get COTY would be funny because of the stares he gives

maxresdefault.jpg

Jarate

Banned
MVP Joel Embiid
Most Improved Player: Joel Embiid
Defensive Player of the Year: Joel Embiid
Coach of the Year: Brett Brown

Rookie of the year: Dario Saric

Quin Snyder is actually shaping up to be a better choice than Fizdale (especially because they're more comparable), plus Snyder get COTY would be funny because of the stares he gives

Goddamn that's a great look. We'll see how all of them finish the year, I think the Jazz are a better bet to finish strong because of the talent in place. Still think Stevens could win this if the Celtics keep it up and finish at the 2nd spot in the East. Also, very very long shot here and I know it, but if they get a good 5 and never play Amir again, if Avery gets healthy and if the Cavs keep floundering, they may even land the top spot in the conference. Pretty unlikely but it could happen.

As it is, none of these choices would be wrong though.

phanphare

Banned
Who wants Hibbert or Spencer Hawes on their team?

Actually wait they don't have nearly as many years on their contract, wtf is Charlotte doing?

I don't know

this is either the first part of another move or they're taking a leap of faith in plumlee that he can be consistent if given the minutes. he's certainly more athletic than either hawes or hibbert and he will probably be an upgrade on defense, hopefully. he could also be more effective in the pick and roll game which is how charlotte gets most of its buckets.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's SBN's take:

Charlotte has been seeking a defensive upgrade at the position with Cody Zeller dealing with injuries and the rest of the bench struggling to stop anyone. Hibbert was supposed to be that player, but he's proven to be too slow for the modern game. The Hornets allow 105.2 points per 100 possessions with Hibbert in the game. Hawes, meanwhile, is one of the worst defensive big men in the league.

Plumlee is more mobile than both and could achieve some consistency under the tutelage of head coach Steve Clifford and assistant coach Patrick Ewing.

It's a salary dump, plain and simple. Re-signing Plumlee was one of the worst decisions a team made last summer. Moving on in exchange for Hibbert (expiring contract) and Hawes (who could opt out, but will likely pick up his player option) saves the Bucks more than $6 million next year and $12.4 million the next two seasons.

Both players may find minutes in Kidd's center roulette, but this move wasn't made for on-court reasons.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Memphis Grizzlies are the Kansas City Chiefs of the NBA

Have a decent roster and some nice players but they'll never get out of the second round until they get a superstar

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You guys see the look on Shaq`s face when Barkley said, first of all, you ain't a good fighter? Hahaha

mjp2417

Banned
You guys see the look on Shaq`s face when Barkley said, first of all, you ain't a good fighter? Hahaha

Either I am totally misreading the room there or that seemed like legitimate tension. Shaq seemed pissed throughout the entire discussion.

Gigglepoo

Charles Barkeley fucking sucks. Can't wait until he's fired / retires.

Yeah, hearing Tony Kornheiser say Barkley is the most important voice in American sports made me throw up in my mouth. I seriously do not understand his appeal. At best, he's funny (though I disagree I know others laugh at his antics). Why does that make him important, though? He's fundamentally wrong about every opinion he spouts about the modern NBA.

Either I am totally misreading the room there or that seemed like legitimate tension. Shaq seemed pissed throughout the entire discussion.

Didn't see but it wouldn't surprise me, the guy has an incredibly fragile ego, he's very insecure. Loves to dish out the jokes but gets hurt very easily and tends to get very petty and pouty.

Fjordson

Yeah, hearing Tony Kornheiser say Barkley is the most important voice in American sports made me throw up in my mouth. I seriously do not understand his appeal. At best, he's funny (though I disagree I know others laugh at his antics). Why does that make him important, though? He's fundamentally wrong about every opinion he spouts about the modern NBA.
He sums up a lot of what dusty, old sports writers feel about the game I think. "Too many 3's, need to post up down low, play more defense, quit whining" etc. I mean the guy used "girly basketball" as an insult without irony in 2016. He's basically stuck in 1985 when it comes to basketball and a lot of sportswriters are also. Also, even I'll admit he can be entertaining and funny. Which I think distracts a lot of people from his nonsensical "analysis".

He's total shit at his job and the day he quits TV can't come soon enough.

Gigglepoo

He sums up a lot of what dusty, old sports writers feel about the game I think. "Too many 3's, need to post up down low, play more defense, quit whining" etc. I mean the guy used "girly basketball" as an insult without irony in 2016. He's basically stuck in 1985 when it comes to basketball and a lot of sportswriters are also. Also, even I'll admit, he can be entertaining and funny. Which I think distracts a lot of people from his nonsensical "analysis".

He's like an NFL analysist who still cheers when a dude gets knocked unconscious. Except one who forced his way off two teams but still never won a damn thing.

mjp2417

Banned
He sums up a lot of what dusty, old sports writers feel about the game I think. "Too many 3's, need to post up down low, play more defense, quit whining" etc. I mean the guy used "girly basketball" as an insult without irony in 2016. He's basically stuck in 1985 when it comes to basketball and a lot of sportswriters are also. Also, even I'll admit he can be entertaining and funny. Which I think distracts a lot of people from his nonsensical "analysis".

I think it's also that Barkley does code as "authentic," which tends to get conflated with "insightful" in America because we are pretty vehemently anti-intellectual. Like, I actually do think Chuck genuinely believes the things he says on TV in ways that other talking heads probably don't, but that doesn't mean they aren't kinda dumb, it just means they give us an honest picture of Chuck's thinking such as it is.

TTG

Charles Barkeley fucking sucks. Can't wait until he's fired / retires.

He's the most entertaining guy on tv. You wouldn't want Lowe or, god forbid, Windhorst, or Rose on there. Or that insufferable clown Amin, now you're making me throw up in my mouth.

He's a dope when it comes to strategy, but no one is tuning in for his take on pick and roll coverage.

Fjordson

He's a dope when it comes to strategy, but no one is tuning in for his take on pick and roll coverage.
The problem is lots of people out there think they're getting quality information from Chuck. People in this thread know it's just dumb entertainment, but like Gigglepoo mentioned, lots of people out there consider him an "important" voice in sports and put a lot of stock into what he says. Which is terrifying considering how stupid 95% of it is.

And tbh, I never watch any of that TNT shit so I'd actually love someone like Lowe or Amin. They're excellent on Rachel Nichols' show The Jump. But I'm probably in the minority there.

Top Bottom