• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Bulls are third because Michael Jordan, no way am I putting the Spurs over the Bulls.

Nah man, Bulls have 6 championships and one main great era from around 1987 to 1998, whereas the Spurs have 5 championships, a 20 year streak of 50+ seasons, the best win percentage of any nba team (by a good bit too), have had only 6 losing seasons in their entire history, etc. From Gervin to Robinson to Duncan and now to Kawhi, the Spurs have almost ALWAYS been in the playoffs and even contenders.

Meanwhile, the Bulls are a franchise which have treated great coaches like shit (even Phil Jackson), have spies in the lockerroom (as part of the staff), and have an owner who says bullshit like this:'

"Basketball is a game. Baseball is a religion. Baseball is American"

I mean come on man, we're grading FRANCHISES over here

Nah man, Bulls have 6 championships and one main great era from around 1987 to 1998, whereas the Spurs have 5 championships, a 20 year streak of 50+ seasons, the best win percentage of any nba team (by a good bit too), have had only 6 losing seasons in their entire history, etc. From Gervin to Robinson to Duncan and now to Kawhi, the Spurs have almost ALWAYS been in the playoffs and even contenders.

Meanwhile, the Bulls are a franchise which have treated great coaches like shit (even Phil Jackson), have spies in the lockerroom (as part of the staff), and have an owner who says bullshit like this:'

"Basketball is a game. Baseball is a religion. Baseball is American"

I mean come on man, we're grading FRANCHISES over here

I just can't discount that dynasty, we will never see something like it again. Of course, you could say the same thing about the Spurs, which what definitely makes these debates interesting. But I still stand by my decision, shrug.

Trey

Spurs are a better franchise than the Bulls, and it ain't particularly close if you ask me.

To go from David Robinson to Duncan to Kawhi. Just...how?

Spurs are a better franchise than the Bulls, and it ain't particularly close if you ask me.

To go from David Robinson to Duncan to Kawhi. Just...how?

Depends on how you are ranking. Spurs would get the nod if you put more emphasis on longevity. Bulls had probably as huge of a cultural impact in a much shorter time.

overcast

Boy, the Rockets have fucking jumped off a cliff. Pathetic showings lately. Zero effort defensively. Look like the 8th seed again :]

TTG

Rockets looked as deflated as their crowd in the 4th and hey! A Tim Hardway Jr. sighting, I thought he was really promising in his rookie season on the Knicks, but it hasn't worked out. Don't know why either, now that he's on the Hawks you can't really shrug your shoulders and blame the organization.

TTG

I think the Clips can beat the Warriors with CP3 back in the squad.

I thought the Clippers were their biggest danger last year, it was probably the Thunder anyway and I was wrong, but I liked them. This year however, with Durant on board, they don't have much of a shot. The match up is really bad for them, Green on Blake and Klay on Paul really mitigates them. You could see tonight how well Blake does against even a great defender in Durant, but Green is one of the two best players around on that end and it's like he was made to guard Griffin.

On the other side they really can't put up a fight, especially when it comes to the bench and that's the difference this year.

From an outside perspective (europe) of the nba:
1-Michael Jordan (who gives a shit about the Bulls? They are always terrible). He was the pioneer of the internationalization of the nba, more than any franchise.
2-Spurs (the contemporary franchise)
3-Lakers (fame show)

Celtics are irrelevant.

El Topo

I kind of have to agree. The Celtics just don't seem to get a lot of attention over here in Europe.
The Spurs have popular European players, the Lakers have this weird celeb/fame popularity, the Bulls get the old-time Jordan bonus, the Warriors and Cavs are popular for obvious reasons.

He sums up a lot of what dusty, old sports writers feel about the game I think. "Too many 3's, need to post up down low, play more defense, quit whining" etc. I mean the guy used "girly basketball" as an insult without irony in 2016. He's basically stuck in 1985 when it comes to basketball and a lot of sportswriters are also. Also, even I'll admit he can be entertaining and funny. Which I think distracts a lot of people from his nonsensical "analysis".

He's total shit at his job and the day he quits TV can't come soon enough.
Boo this man. Barkley is fun as hell to listen to and easily the funniest dude in basketball commentary.

Didn't see but it wouldn't surprise me, the guy has an incredibly fragile ego, he's very insecure. Loves to dish out the jokes but gets hurt very easily and tends to get very petty and pouty.
Yeah Shaq always takes every joke seriously, it's annoying. He's a big fucking baby. Chuck's rebuttal was incredible though, he downed him in 2 seconds. I was dying at the reaction lmao

Boy, the Rockets have fucking jumped off a cliff. Pathetic showings lately. Zero effort defensively. Look like the 8th seed again :]

Nah, outside the 4th quarter, our defense was what was keeping us in the game. Look at the number of turnovers we forced from the Hawks last night.

That being said, Gordon struggling is not a good thing.

Looking back at last night, we should have played Montrezl Harrell at some point, because even if that meant we have an undersized center against Howard, he never plays "lackadaisical". D'Antoni even said earlier on, when they were struggling to find minutes for Harrell, that he would sometimes insert him whenever the players on the court seemed to just be going through the motions.

In one or two games? Sure. In a 7 game series? Absolutely not. I think only the Cavs could beat the Warriors but it would take weird shit like all of the questionable shots they take going in.

I want to believe in the Spurs as well but I just don't see it. Warriors are too OP.

tbh I don't have an issue with Chuck in this whole thing, his crit of LeBron isn't that outlandish or anything
He had valid points for everything. LeGoogle just got salty then but like Chuck said, most writers are too busy to kiss his ass since they wanna be his friend instead of being journalists and making similar points.

I don't think either is completely wrong in this ordeal.

rambis

Banned
tbh I don't have an issue with Chuck in this whole thing, his crit of LeBron isn't that outlandish or anything
Chuck's just an idiot that clearly doesnt understand what it takes to win at the highest level. Mulitple multiring players have weighed in mostly agreeing with Lebron that you have to get better as a team to repeat. With CLE getting noticeably worse and being hit by injuries/player moves, they absolutely need to make a move. Despite this consensus Chuck still double downs as his schitck dictates.

Arent you a GS fan though? Cause if so its fucking hilarious that you think Lebron needs to shut up and color.

Chuck's just an idiot that clearly doesnt understand what it takes to win at the highest level. Mulitple multiring players have weighed in mostly agreeing with Lebron that you have to get better as a team to repeat. With CLE getting noticeably worse and being hit by injuries/player moves, they absolutely need to make a move. Despite this consensus Chuck still double downs as his schitck dictates.

Arent you a GS fan though? Cause if so its fucking hilarious that you think Lebron needs to shut up and color.

The thing that I always think about is the Rockets in the 1994-1995 season. We started the season off a little lacksaidasical, ended the season on a 17-18 run, struggled throughout the season, more than the NBA champions should, and traded for Clyde Drexler (sending a pretty key player, Otis Thorpe, away as part of the deal)

Drexler hadn't won a championship, and if you watch the Clutch City documentary, was in a large part big in motivating everyone else because of that. He still wanted it, and despite ending 47-35 and having the hardest road to the championship of all time (beat 4 best regular season record teams that year), they won the championship. But midway through the regular season, they weren't playing with a chip on their shoulders, and that was causing issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4fu6hy/what_were_the_hardest_and_easiest_championship/

Line_HTX

So I was outside the Toyota Center where there was a concert stage, endless amount of food trucks, and a makeshift bar that had TV's. I was standing in line for one of the food trucks when I heard a bunch of loud cheering from the bar, and when I got my food I walked over there to see what was up, looked at the TV's to see Dwight Howard interviewing post-game, and I was like, no fucking way, how did we lose this one... Fucking Hawks fans everywhere, I swear! :p

It seems like there was no bad blood between the team and Howard, it just didn't work out, but at least Howard wasn't being a real cancer like he was with the Lakers. Nice of the Rockets to put a video tribute for him and a lot of players and fans still like him amongst the boos.

VeeP

Warriors had 3-4 injured players last night, including 2 starters. And the Clippers still couldn't take it. With a healthy GSW and a healthy LAC, my bet would def be on the Warriors.

rambis

Banned
The thing that I always think about is the Rockets in the 1994-1995 season. We started the season off a little lacksaidasical, ended the season on a 17-18 run, struggled throughout the season, more than the NBA champions should, and traded for Clyde Drexler (sending a pretty key player, Otis Thorpe, away as part of the deal)

Drexler hadn't won a championship, and if you watch the Clutch City documentary, was in a large part big in motivating everyone else because of that. He still wanted it, and despite ending 47-35 and having the hardest road to the championship of all time (beat 4 best regular season record teams that year), they won the championship. But midway through the regular season, they weren't playing with a chip on their shoulders, and that was causing issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4fu6hy/what_were_the_hardest_and_easiest_championship/
Right. Outside of Bron and maybe Kyrie who's really young I cant imagine the other CLE players giving too much of a shit about anothet ring that they wont even be remembered for.

Howard will always be an all time NBA great in my book for fucking over that Lakers team for good.

steve-nash-dwight-howard-si-cover.jpg

best team

Servbot24

Banned

Pacers are my team. I guess I'm a GSW fan in terms of just enjoying watching them play; I root for Curry to have crazy games but don't really care if the team wins.

Anyways, CLE could obviously use another piece to compete with GSW, but no one wants to hear someone of Lebron's caliber saying "I can't do it. Someone help me." Fans want to witness greatness. That's not realistic, but neither is the idea that # of rings = quality of player. Just keep that stuff behind the scenes, don't be complaining about it in public.

Jarate

Banned
Yes while the team needs to get better, the NBA is one of the few team sports where an individual can take over games and win. Dirk had a good team when he beat the big 3, but that was Dirk putting the team on his back and carrying them to a chip.

The regular season doesnt matter anyway, Once Lebron plays PF in the playoffs, that team is going to get a lot better.

Ronin Ray

This is fucking RIGGED and bullshit like hell.

C3uo9BCUoAQ9zZt.jpg

Ok I please explain what's going on here . I know that's a basketball anime but I have never watched it. Is this guy good or what ? I mean the warriors got KD and we need help to compete so have Pop and RC Buford taken the next step and started recruiting anime characters because I am on board.

On a serious note congrats to Coach Popovich for passing Jerry Slogan for most wins with a single team at 1,127

Top Bottom