• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Bread

Banned
Danny loves the Brooklyn pick so much that he's going to refuse to draft anyone with it.
lmao

So you'll draft a guard.

When your best players are all guards.
If they get the first pick they'll take Fultz and that's a bad thing? Thomas is going to want a max after last year, this gives them an opportunity to let him go somewhere else and find a young and possible elite player to take his spot. Then use the money to get a big.

If they get the first pick they'll take Fultz and that's a bad thing? Thomas is going to want a max after last year, this gives them an opportunity to let him go somewhere else and find a young and possible elite player to take his spot. Then use the money to get a big.

Letting your current best player walk to reset and hope that you hit a triple instead of a double this time is a little ridiculous yeah.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Well anyone is an upgrade over Huertas so its not like the Rockets got anything good in return.

We got 3.54 million in cap space to use on the buy out market, so yea we got something better than either of those scrubs.

So like I said, thank you Lakers. You're making us Rockets fans happy taking our trash.

Why get Horford if they're just gonna keep assets and look for a franchise player in the draft? Is there some kind of prize for winning 50+ games? To be clear, Indy was asking way too much for George but what're you doing ainge.

I mean, sure Fultz could be great, he could also be the next Eric Gordon. Surprised Danny wasn't more urgent with the current window they have. Isaiah, Smart and Bradley are only going to get more expensive, Horford is only going to get older. He's banking on the unknown over the known. Ballsy strategy, and it could pay off, but if it doesn't, if whoever they draft with the Brooklyn picks and Jaylen Brown end up closer to role players than stars, that will be an interesting retrospective in few years.

jman2050

I mean in fairness the Celtics were kind of dealt a bad hand because Cleveland is only getting stronger and the player they could realistically acquire to challenge them in the playoffs simply doesn't exist right now and won't for the foreseeable future (and let's not even get into the Warriors matchup...) There's no disgruntled prime Kevin Garnett waiting in the wings to be snapped up in a lopsided deal this time around. The actual trigger move they needed was signing Durant, having that fail kind of handcuffed them.

At the same time, doing nothing at all in this situation doesn't improve matters any.

Bread

Banned
Letting your current best player walk to reset and hope that you hit a triple instead of a double this time is a little ridiculous yeah.
Letting a 30 year old 5'8" PG who wants a max walk because you have a 19 year old Fultz is ridiculous? Ainge has the opportunity to build a team of young guys while contending with veterans at the same time. It's a unique place and I am all for betting it all on a core with Smart/Brown/Crowder/the two Brooklyn picks.

They could put "Has Brooklyn's 2017 draft pick" in the blank banner now.

2010blank+banner.jpg

The Raptors have Tucker's Bird rights as well.

Sully and two second rounders for PJ Tucker is a win in my book because we still have the Clippers 1st rounder

Duxxy3

Would they have beat the Cavs even with Paul or Butler? I don't think they would have. So they'll take a shot with what they have, and then see if the balls roll their way this year.

I'd be happy with Fultz or Ball.

I mean in fairness the Celtics were kind of dealt a bad hand because Cleveland is only getting stronger and the player they could realistically acquire to challenge them in the playoffs simply doesn't exist right now and won't for the foreseeable future (and let's not even get into the Warriors matchup...) There's no disgruntled prime Kevin Garnett waiting in the wings to be snapped up in a lopsided deal this time around. The actual trigger move they needed was signing Durant, having that fail kind of handcuffed them.

Couple George and add a big in FA with Isaiah and you've got a team that can at least marginally compete with them.

As they are right now they're still leagues behind them and arguably still behind the Raps too. Sitting on these assets is just a little bit of a waste of the window they have now while these picks develop and you hope they turn into something.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"Bulls offered Taj and Canaan for Pat Beverley yesterday, Houston turned them down. So eyes turned to OKC."

Thankfully Morey isn't flat out stupid.

Bread

Banned
Would they have beat the Cavs even with Paul or Butler? I don't think they would have. So they'll take a shot with what they have, and then see if the balls roll their way this year.

I wonder how hard they went after Blake Griffin. He seems like the only guy "available" that could realistically put them over the top the way they are built right now.

If you are betting on building a title contender by drafting players with the Brooklyn picks, that means you are sort of admitting that IT, Horford, and possibly Crowder and Bradley won't be a part of the next great Celtics team. It's a weird transition for them to be in. I just think you go with the known factor. I mean, Danny traded a top 5 pick for an aging Ray Allen because he recognized a relatively small championship window. Wonder if he just doesn't think IT and Horford can be a part of another "Big 3" alongside someone like PG or Butler?

Lol Ainge
Should have traded those second round picks for Noel since who gives a shit about the second round

Everyone is leaving when their contract is up, Ainge ain't giving no one the max

Gigglepoo

If Paul George doesn't get the Celtics over the hump, they are a long way away from doing anything.

Bread

Banned
If you are betting on building a title contender by drafting players with the Brooklyn picks, that means you are sort of admitting that IT, Horford, and possibly Crowder and Bradley won't be a part of the next great Celtics team. It's a weird transition for them to be in. I just think you go with the known factor. I mean, Danny traded a top 5 pick for an aging Ray Allen because he recognized a relatively small championship window. Wonder if he just doesn't think IT and Horford can be a part of another "Big 3" alongside someone like PG or Butler?
Well I don't think there's a guy out there that puts IT and Horford on the same level as the old Big 3. Allen, Pierce, and KG were such an amazing trio of players because they all had complementary skill sets on the court.

What's the ideal kind of player that would fit in with IT and Hortfords? A big who can rebound, defend, and hit an open mid range J is what I would want. Gimme Blake.

I wonder how hard they went after Blake Griffin. He seems like the only guy "available" that could realistically put them over the top the way they are built right now.
Disagree. If they could have managed to score Butler or George, as well as stealing Noel, while keeping smart, they could compete imo. I understand that's a lot but idk seemed doable. CROWDER, Johnson and nets pick for Butler. ROozier and Memphis pick for Noel. Or something . That doesn't "gut" the team. You'd still have 2018 nets and brown for future.

the hottest of takes, #whyisntreallifelikeNBA2k

Matrix

I missed this, but KJ McDaniels salary got moved to the Nets. Frees up some room for us, I guess.

Getting rid of KJ and Ennis gives us close to 4 million free in cap space money I believe to use in the buyout market. As much as I can't stand him, looks like they're gonna try to go hard after Bogut.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. As of now we have two free roster spots open.

"Buyout Candidates:

Derrick Rose
Jeff Green
Andrew Bogut
Tyreke Evans
Deron Williams
Tiago Splitter
Sergio Rodriguez
Jose Calderon
Jodie Meeks
Luis Scola
Darren Collison
Roy Hibbert
Brandon Jennings
James Johnson
Gerald Henderson
Boris Diaw
Mike Dunleavy
Jordan Will
Devin Harris
Terrance Jones"

Not all of them will be waived though, some nice names.

Bread

Banned
If Paul George doesn't get the Celtics over the hump, they are a long way away from doing anything.
Oh come on that's just not a reasonable way to look at the team. The problem was that Indiana wanted to gut their roster in order to give up George.
'

If that tweet about their asking price was accurate*

Without George

IT/Rozier
Smart/Bradley
Crowder/Brown
Johnson/Jerebko
Horford/Olynyk
plus the 17 and 18 Brooklyn picks

With George

IT/Rozier
Smart/Young
George/Green
Johnson/Jerebko
Horford/Olynyk
plus the 18 Brooklyn pick

I'm not convinced that the team with George is much better.

Top Bottom