• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"Huertas contract was $1.5m and $1.6m. The 2nd year was non-guaranteed and Houston will be off the hook for next season once waived."

"Ennis-Huertas swap opens up another $233,880 in room. Gives Rockets a total of $3.54M in available cap room to spend. Can split btwn 2 vets."

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Tyler Ennis has a team option at the end of the year right? Righhttt????

2016-17: $1,733,880
2017-18: $2,666,707 {Team Option}
2018-19: $3,784,057 {Qualifying Offer}

cheer up haha

"Woj says Bulls and Celtics weren’t close. Bulls wanted to get pieces of C’s core and not draft picks." What in the world are the Bulls doing!!! Sports radio in Chicago is on fire asking GarPax to be fired.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I mean, sure Fultz could be great, he could also be the next Eric Gordon. Surprised Danny wasn't more urgent with the current window they have. Isaiah, Smart and Bradley are only going to get more expensive, Horford is only going to get older. He's banking on the unknown over the known. Ballsy strategy, and it could pay off, but if it doesn't, if whoever they draft with the Brooklyn picks and Jaylen Brown end up closer to role players than stars, that will be an interesting retrospective in few years.

Would they have beat the Cavs even with Paul or Butler? I don't think they would have. So they'll take a shot with what they have, and then see if the balls roll their way this year.

I'd be happy with Fultz or Ball.

I wonder if Cleveland isn't the issue, but GSW is instead. Boston with PG or Butler could have taken a Cleveland with an injured Kevin Love; but they can't beat GSW. If Durant signs a max in GSW, then the GSW core is basically locked in for 4-5 years.

Boston's biggest problem is that their cap space was only useful before this year ended, because they could have grabbed PG or Butler, fit them in cap space, and then extended IT using Bird rights. Now the problem is that Ainge has to hit on the two Brooklyn picks - and if IT makes 3rd team all NBA (behind Paul and Curry) - he's gonna get the super max (the 200 million+ contract) and suck up all of their cap space.

Matrix

you kidding me? haha

gVhEfeF.png

Cause Sewer was a lock down defender and amazing player on O.

Rockets also cut salary

Matrix

Yeah, we did. :/

You knew what you were getting though right? I mean I knew before he set foot on the court as a Lakers what kind of man he was.

Yea I wasn't happy as first, but I honestly thought the Laker season had changed him in every way. All it took was him not getting enough post ups and not wanting to pick and roll to become a bitch last season.

Matrix

Um, the Rockets are going to shoot 50 3s a game against the Warriors and hope they get hot. Lou Williams was a huge acquisition.

Seriously.

Billups always hates on us though ( kinda odd), Twack is all over the place with his opinions on the Rockets & I have no idea who that Peter Griffin looking guy is.

its ESPN so yea haha

Seriously.

Billups always hates on us though ( kinda odd), Twack is all over the place with his opinions on the Rockets & I have no idea who that Peter Griffin looking guy is.

its ESPN so yea haha

I can tell you Lou Willimas is a great addition. I knew Mike D liked him a lot. He was the cause of every time out Mike D took last time we played. I htink I even saw Mike D' mouth Jesus on a few occasion.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
@sam_amick

No deals for Kings. Had offers on Ben McLemore, Darren Collison and Arron Afflalo, but opting to wait until this summer to make more moves.

Yeah lets not trade away players who would be free agents next year...

spyder_ur

I wonder if Cleveland isn't the issue, but GSW is instead. Boston with PG or Butler could have taken a Cleveland with an injured Kevin Love; but they can't beat GSW. If Durant signs a max in GSW, then the GSW core is basically locked in for 4-5 years.

Boston's biggest problem is that their cap space was only useful before this year ended, because they could have grabbed PG or Butler, fit them in cap space, and then extended IT using Bird rights. Now the problem is that Ainge has to hit on the two Brooklyn picks - and if IT makes 3rd team all NBA (behind Paul and Curry) - he's gonna get the super max (the 200 million+ contract) and suck up all of their cap space.

I mean they don't have to give it to him and regardless that's a problem for another day. Either way, cap space isn't really an issue in the short-term or even long-term. My bigger concern is roster construction and timing, but they're still in a very enviable position with a ton of flexibility. Think about it - both the Pacers and Celtics best players are free agents next summer. Only one team is totally screwed if their star walks.

I think your first point is a really good one. I think the presence of LeBron and the Warriors juggernaut really cools the trade deadline for these teams on the fringe. The Celts weren't the only winning team with assets that weren't able or didn't choose to splurge to improve their team - think Houston, Utah, Rockets, Wizards, Clippers, etc. I think teams are getting smarter now (Kings, Knicks and Magic Johnson-led teams aside) and don't want to mortgage their future to win one more game in a series against the Cavs or Warriors. It's hard to argue against that.

I love the Lakers right now

First they took Sewer & and now they have taken Ennis from us. Our two worst players :D

Rob Pelinka is going to be a a terrible GM at best, or good partner at worst, for the Rockets for years to come. Rockets extending Harden and signing Gordon + Ariza, all his biggest contracts tbh, on a team that he probably was friendly with, especially recently, given how many career seasons D'Antoni gives players, is going to be so useful.

lmao

If they get the first pick they'll take Fultz and that's a bad thing? Thomas is going to want a max after last year, this gives them an opportunity to let him go somewhere else and find a young and possible elite player to take his spot. Then use the money to get a big.

Get rid of your best player who is in his prime brehs

Fultz could very well be a bust, its a gamble like any draft. Also it'll take years for them to be good enough to have a big impact.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I mean they don't have to give it to him and regardless that's a problem for another day. Either way, cap space isn't really an issue in the short-term or even long-term. My bigger concern is roster construction and timing, but they're still in a very enviable position with a ton of flexibility. Think about it - both the Pacers and Celtics best players are free agents next summer. Only one team is totally screwed if their star walks.

I think your first point is a really good one. I think the presence of LeBron and the Warriors juggernaut really cools the trade deadline for these teams on the fringe. The Celts weren't the only winning team with assets that weren't able or didn't choose to splurge to improve their team - think Houston, Utah, Rockets, Wizards, Clippers, etc. I think teams are getting smarter now (Kings, Knicks and Magic Johnson-led teams aside) and don't want to mortgage their future to win one more game in a series against the Cavs or Warriors. It's hard to argue against that.

If they don't give IT the supermax, he will get the max from someone else and be gone for nothing. Boston's cap space basically is gone after this year if they don't want to break up their team. That was Boston's main reason for doing something this trade deadline. But if they look at GSW and go "welp we ain't beating them" - then just hold onto picks and wait everyone out.

We both got burned by Dwert Howard, our teams understand each other now.

Oh shush, Howard was great in 2015, and the playoff leader in 2014. And honestly, 2016 was the sort of year where I'd rather just forget it happened for all players, cause most of them looked bad

Yea I wasn't happy as first, but I honestly thought the Laker season had changed him in every way. All it took was him not getting enough post ups and not wanting to pick and roll to become a bitch last season.

I'm not sure that was it.

I think he was fine not controlling the team as much, so long as the Rockets were winning. He wasn't the elite pick n' roll we always wanted him to be as often, all day, every day, but he wasn't trying to always post up like some make it out to be

NHale

I think if the Celtics don't win a title in the next 3 years, people will look back at this deadline as the reason why. Failing to match what teams offered to get DeMarcus Cousins and Nerlens Noel considering the assets they have is something that I can't understand.

Maybe DeMarcus is really a team cancer and Noel is a rental (seriously for 2 2nd round picks!!!). But both would definitely fit in a team that is last in the entire NBA in rebounding percentage. Maybe they can sell Boston as the perfect city for Bogut.

Soooo.....

the Rockets managed to lose their 3 worst players....

I hope we sign one more and bring Nanu back, seeing only 2 underhanded free throws this season, when we could be seeing so many more, is a damn crime

Next season and this off-season for the Lakers and Pacers is going to be funny. Pacers are going to try so damn hard to get a championship contender around PG, maybe Turner takes the next leap into all-star contention, and Lakers are going to have to show that they are quickly improving and have star caliber players now or in the near future. I don't actually believe he'll really so adamantly go to the Lakers unless they are in somewhat decent shape

Tom Penny

I think if the Celtics don't win a title in the next 3 years, people will look back at this deadline as the reason why. Failing to match what teams offered to get DeMarcus Cousins and Nerlens Noel considering the assets they have is something that I can't understand.

Maybe DeMarcus is really a team cancer and Noel is a rental (seriously for 2 2nd round picks!!!). But both would definitely fit in a team that is last in the entire NBA in rebounding percentage. Maybe they can sell Boston as the perfect city for Bogut.
So what you're saying is if the pelicans don't win title they are a total failure because unibrow is infinitely better than any player on the Celtics ...

Bread

Banned
Idk why the 2018 pick + one player + trash maybe? weren't mentioned as much. Sure, that 2018 pick isn't the 2017 pick, but it's still probably top 5.
Who could they have traded for with that? They weren't getting Butler without giving up core players, they weren't getting George without core players and the 17 pick, and they weren't getting Cousins because he was a headcase.

Everyone is quick to blame Ainge for not making these trades when it's not his fault that the other teams' asking prices were sky high.

spyder_ur

If they don't give IT the supermax, he will get the max from someone else and be gone for nothing. Boston's cap space basically is gone after this year if they don't want to break up their team. That was Boston's main reason for doing something this trade deadline. But if they look at GSW and go "welp we ain't beating them" - then just hold onto picks and wait everyone out.

Well they're fine next year cap-wise. 2018-2019 they only have 2 guys with guaranteed contracts - Horford and Jae. Presumably Jaylen too. There's no question they have a lot of contractual issues to grapple with, but like I said they have a ton of flexibility because they will have all of these cost-controlled young players, assuming they are ready for roles. Look it's not going to be the ideal situation where they are paying IT-Bradley-Crowder a combined $20M, but the cap isn't a major concern at this point.

I think they would have like to have made a deal, but it's not worth gutting everything. And getting George would have made the cap situation more problematic, not less.

Tom Penny

Yep. Ainge probably wants the pick so he doesn't have to max a one way playing midget and get our future PG..IT is great at what he does but reality is once he loses a step he literally is a bench scorer making 30 million.. Anybody with eyes knows this.

NHale

So what you're saying is if the pelicans don't win title they are a total failure because unibrow is infinitely better than any player on the Celtics ...

Are you seriously comparing the Celtics roster with the Pelicans roster? AD might be better than IT but he isn't infinitely better. One team is in the cusp of contending for the title the other is in the cusp of contending for a playoff spot.

Maybe DeMarcus Cousins isn't a good fit in the locker room (IT would know that better than most) but Danny Ainge definitely had the assets to make a better offer than the Kings (if Vivek would see as such is another question considering he thinks Hield is the second coming of Steph).

Tom Penny

Are you seriously comparing the Celtics roster with the Pelicans roster? AD might be better than IT but he isn't infinitely better. One team is in the cusp of contending for the title the other is in the cusp of contending for a playoff spot.

Maybe DeMarcus Cousins isn't a good fit in the locker room (IT would know that better than most) but Danny Ainge definitely had the assets to make a better offer than the Kings (if Vivek would see as such is another question considering he thinks Hield is the second coming of Steph).
AD has all-time great talent. Their potentials aren't close.
LOL

They will look back at the Durant decision as the reason why
Why did Ainge choose Zeller over Durant :(

Who could they have traded for with that? They weren't getting Butler without giving up core players, they weren't getting George without core players and the 17 pick, and they weren't getting Cousins because he was a headcase.

Everyone is quick to blame Ainge for not making these trades when it's not his fault that the other teams' asking prices were sky high.

Seems like they could have gotten Noel for a lot less than the 2018 pick. That should have been the move given the asking price of the other guys. Hasn't he hinted at wanting to be in Boston anyway? Isn't he from Boston?

Yep. Ainge probably wants the pick so he doesn't have to max a one way playing midget and get our future PG..IT is great at what he does but reality is once he loses a step he literally is a bench scorer making 30 million.. Anybody with eyes knows this.
Sadly this is the truth.

Bread

Banned
Why did Ainge choose Zeller over Durant :(
Zeller's skill set is a much better fit for our team, I trust in Danny.

Seems like they could have gotten Noel for a lot less than the 2018 pick. That should have been the move given the asking price of the other guys. Hasn't he hinted at wanting to be in Boston anyway? Isn't he from Boston?
They tried to get Noel for a first earlier this year and were denied. Maybe they didn't want to trade him to a "rival".

Servbot24

Banned
Next season and this off-season for the Lakers and Pacers is going to be funny. Pacers are going to try so damn hard to get a championship contender around PG, maybe Turner takes the next leap into all-star contention, and Lakers are going to have to show that they are quickly improving and have star caliber players now or in the near future. I don't actually believe he'll really so adamantly go to the Lakers unless they are in somewhat decent shape

Even if Turner takes that step it won't be enough. They need another great player to be a threat. Ideally a guard to play alongside Teague.

Mortemis

Banned
Notice that their signs spell out CDC.

This could be a public health concern they're trying to alert you to.

Lakers GAF, what are you hiding?

👀

Ennis probably won't amount to anything, but it's a good deal to see if he can be anything, and it's not like Marcelo [ :( ] was worth anything. Win for both teams.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well they're fine next year cap-wise. 2018-2019 they only have 2 guys with guaranteed contracts - Horford and Jae. Presumably Jaylen too. There's no question they have a lot of contractual issues to grapple with, but like I said they have a ton of flexibility because they will have all of these cost-controlled young players, assuming they are ready for roles. Look it's not going to be the ideal situation where they are paying IT-Bradley-Crowder a combined $20M, but the cap isn't a major concern at this point.

I think they would have like to have made a deal, but it's not worth gutting everything. And getting George would have made the cap situation more problematic, not less.

The issue is that IT would get closer to 40 million a year IIRC (35% of the cap), while Crowder's gonna get a max (30%) and Bradley's gonna get 25+ million a year. That's what is the rough part.

Top Bottom