• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Purely conjecture, unless you have some insider information that no one else does. He could be a perennially injured played and he could not. I'm encouraged that his foot didn't experience any re-aggravation for the games he did play, and from what I've read the meniscus tear is a very common injury. Embiid definitely needs to learn how to play less recklessly, though.

It's a reasonable assumption given his sample size as a basketball player. He couldn't handle the rigors of college basketball which lead to a stress fracture in his back and a fractured navicular bone, which for big men is damn near the kiss of death for their career.

He then takes 2 years and multiple surgeries to actually get on that floor. Despite only playing once or twice a week and on limited minutes he still tore his meniscus. Meniscus tears are common for sure, generally they are a result of trauma in young athletes though, his came from what? A minor fall? Honestly I want him to succeed he was a blast to watch and it's clear the guy has enormous talent, but the odds he ever goes a full season are next to none.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Hawks aren't bad
The Hawks aren't good

It's maddening to watch this team. Too talented not to win games, but not talented enough to hang with the top 4 in either conference.

Servbot24

Banned
The Hawks aren't bad
The Hawks aren't good

It's maddening to watch this team. Too talented not to win games, but not talented enough to hang with the top 4 in either conference.

Same for Pacers... chances are we'll be playing in the first round and the winner will lose in the second.

The Hawks aren't bad
The Hawks aren't good

They just beat Boston a couple of days ago by double digits tho.

Still, they're the worst playoff team in the East right now lol. And people wonder why the Hawks have "no fans" when they have home performances like these, not even just the Cavs, but teams like the Kings.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Da fuq...Buss bros. trying to oust Jeannie now? lol Lakers

http://abc7.com/sports/buss-family-feud-brewing-over-control-of-lakers/1784115/

Two weeks after Jeannie Buss fired her brother Jim from his position with the Lakers, a legal battle is brewing over which family members will ultimately control the team.

Jeannie Buss has been the controlling owner of the NBA franchise since her father Jerry - who bought the Lakers in 1979 - died in 2013.

But this week her brothers Jim and Johnny moved to oust her from that position. They called a meeting for next week to vote on a new board of directors and offered four proposed members that included themselves, but not Jeannie.

BtkCVMVCMAAttOL.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
So do Lakers fans like Russell? Or is he a disappointment.

pretty meh about russell. really inconsistent. at least he's still young? i could see him getting replaced in the draft if the lakers wanted to go another direction.

that being said who else is legit from that 2015 draft class outside of towns and porzingis? note that i'm a casual fan that really only follows the lakers. so i just talk out my ass :D

pretty meh about russell. really inconsistent. at least he's still young? i could see him getting replaced in the draft if the lakers wanted to go another direction.

that being said who else is legit from that 2015 draft class outside of towns and porzingis? note that i'm a casual fan that really only follows the lakers. so i just talk out my ass :D

The good thing with this draft being very PG heavy is that I think Russell can play with another PG. Multiple ball handlers works in Walton's offense too. I think he's good, not sure he can be great. Needs to become a better outside shooter and needs to get more aggressive at attacking the basket and finding ways to score.

Devin Booker and Myles Turner are pretty good.

The good thing with this draft being very PG heavy is that I think Russell can play with another PG. Multiple ball handlers works in Walton's offense too. I think he's good, not sure he can be great. Needs to become a better outside shooter and needs to get more aggressive at attacking the basket and finding ways to score.

Yup. I think the 1st thing to consider is that alot of Lakers fans seem to want a superstar right now, have unrealistic expectations for their team.

Russell can be good. He can possibly fringe all-star, a 2nd option on a good team, etc. One of the better things about Lou getting traded for the Lakers is that it takes away another aggressive scorer that Russell could/would defer to (they still have Swaggy P).

I think Randle is similar tbh, he still has potential, he isn't some sort of bust. He has less potential than Russell, but he isn't some shit player.

KAT, Booker, Porzingis, and Myles Turner are going to be stars. Kelly Oubre Jr. has potential, already a key bench piece for the Wizards in his 2nd year. A redraft at this point pretty solidly has those 5 as the top 5 picks, although I'm not sure about Russell vs Kelly Oubre.

After that, I know both Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell have been SOLID rotation players for the Rockets this year, and Larry Nance Jr. seems pretty good for the Lakers. Richaun Holmes is another Sixer center that has talent. Norman Powell was a major part of why the Raptors were comfortable trading Terrence Ross, he stepped it up, especially recently when DeRozan had been injured and he actually got playing time (he's now one of their main bench players)/

WCS seems to have played well, but also been stuck behind Boogie. I haven't been following him, have no idea, but he can still be a solid team. Stanley Johnson had a solid first year with the Pistons, and then I remember him going to the D-League when the Pistons were in the middle of the worst part of their turmoil, don't know about now. Justise Winslow is incredibly solid, especially on defense, doesn't have a shot. Have heard mixed things about Frank Kaminsky.

I'm personally pretty high on TJ McConnell, he's been pretty great as a facilitator this year, averaging 6.1 assists this year.

Yup. I think the 1st thing to consider is that alot of Lakers fans seem to want a superstar right now, have unrealistic expectations for their team.

Russell can be good. He can possibly fringe all-star, a 2nd option on a good team, etc. One of the better things about Lou getting traded for the Lakers is that it takes away another aggressive scorer that Russell could/would defer to (they still have Swaggy P).

I think Randle is similar tbh, he still has potential, he isn't some sort of bust. He has less potential than Russell, but he isn't some shit player.

Randle is a really solid player, but to be honest if he doesn't drastically improve his shot and his range his ceiling goes from fringy all star to rotation/energy big.

Sandfox

KAT, Booker, Porzingis, and Myles Turner are going to be stars. Kelly Oubre Jr. has potential, already a key bench piece for the Wizards in his 2nd year. A redraft at this point pretty solidly has those 5 as the top 5 picks, although I'm not sure about Russell vs Kelly Oubre.

After that, I know both Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell have been SOLID rotation players for the Rockets this year, and Larry Nance Jr. seems pretty good for the Lakers. Richaun Holmes is another Sixer center that has talent. Norman Powell was a major part of why the Raptors were comfortable trading Terrence Ross, he stepped it up, especially recently when DeRozan had been injured and he actually got playing time (he's now one of their main bench players)/

WCS seems to have played well, but also been stuck behind Boogie. I haven't been following him, have no idea, but he can still be a solid team. Stanley Johnson had a solid first year with the Pistons, and then I remember him going to the D-League when the Pistons were in the middle of the worst part of their turmoil, don't know about now. Justise Winslow is incredibly solid, especially on defense, doesn't have a shot. Have heard mixed things about Frank Kaminsky.

I'm personally pretty high on TJ McConnell, he's been pretty great as a facilitator this year, averaging 6.1 assists this year.

The only one of those guys I see being a star is Towns.

i think all lakers fans are conflicted...because we want them to play better but not good enough to screw up their draft chances.

Looking at the Suns, I don't think the Lakers have to worry too much. The Suns have more of the sort young talent that might randomly go off for 40 pts, between Devin Booker and Marquesse Chriss, and Eric Bledsoe, who can also go off for 40 on some random night decently often.

Looking at the Suns tonight, huh, that's a few games now, I should look into Tyler Ulis

The only one of those guys I see being a star is Towns.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turnemy01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bookede01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porzikr01.html

KAT is very likely to become a superstar.

Booker is near-guaranteed to be a star, and has a good shot at becoming a future superstar.

Porzingis is similar to Booker in that way, but the Knicks could easily Knick it up. I'm a little less sure about his chances at being top of the top of the league as much as I see for Booker, but that might just be recency bias.

Turner is also very likely to become an all-star, although I don't see him becoming a super-star

Looking at the Suns, I don't think the Lakers have to worry too much. The Suns have more of the sort young talent that might randomly go off for 40 pts, between Devin Booker and Marquesse Chriss, and Eric Bledsoe, who can also go off for 40 on some random night decently often.

Looking at the Suns tonight, huh, that's a few games now, I should look into Tyler Ulis

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turnemy01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bookede01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porzikr01.html

KAT is very likely to become a superstar.

Booker is near-guaranteed to be a star, and has a good shot at becoming a future superstar.

Porzingis is similar to Booker in that way, but the Knicks could easily Knick it up. I'm a little less sure about his chances at being top of the top of the league as much as I see for Booker, but that might just be recency bias.

Turner is also very likely to become an all-star, although I don't see him becoming a super-star
I endorse this message.

Top Bottom