• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Fjordson

It's almost unfair to judge guys like Ray or especially Reggie against modern offenses. It almost feels like there should be a designation for the pre and post D'Antoni eras in theNBA, kind of like the dead ball era in baseball when the league leaders in homeruns would it like 12 a season.
I can see that, it's almost a different game these days, but you can even look beyond volume I think. The consistency (Klay has never shot below 40%, Steph never below 42%) the variety and the degree of difficulty of the shots, etc. Those two are pretty far removed from anyone in the past imo. Plus, there's no one else even from this era doing what they're doing.

A whole tier? I can't agree with that at all.
Sure. I mean Ray has been the goat and he's certainly eclipsed by Steph and Klay.

Still top 4-5. That ain't bad. I guess saying "tier" isn't really correct since he's still near the top of the list.

I can see that, it's almost a different game these days, but you can even look beyond volume I think. The consistency (Klay has never shot below 40%, Steph never below 42%) the variety and the degree of difficulty of the shots, etc. Those two are pretty far removed from anyone in the past imo. Plus, there's no one else even from this era doing what they're doing.

Sure. I mean Ray has been the goat and he's certainly eclipsed by Steph and Klay.

Still top 4-5. That ain't bad. I guess saying "tier" isn't really correct since he's still near the top of the list.

No I agree. There's no guarantee that a guy like Reggie or even Ray in their hay day would have been the same shooter if asked to shoot the volume of guys today. It would be a complete reworking of their teams' offenses. I sometimes wonder how different the career of guys like Kerr or Dell Curry would play out if they played in today's games. Back then deadeye three point shooters were so undervalued and relegated to bench roles. Nowadays they probably be starters making $15 million a year.

Fjordson

No I agree. There's no guarantee that a guy like Reggie or even Ray in their hay day would have been the same shooter if asked to shoot the volume of guys today. It would be a complete reworking of their teams' offenses. I sometimes wonder how different the career of guys like Kerr or Dell Curry would play out if they played in today's games. Back then deadeye three point shooters were so undervalued and relegated to bench roles. Nowadays they probably be starters making $15 million a year.
That's a good question. Guy says like Dell would be a lot more valuable I think.

T Dollarz

Yeah, it's tough comparing Reggie and Ray stats to Steph and Klay, because their offenses weren't centered around 3pt shooting like they are now. They stats definitely would be up in this modern era.

FStop7

Banned
What's gonna happen to players from the KG/AI/Ray Allen generation now? KG is getting a spot on TNT but it sounds like it's short segments rather than sitting with them at the desk.

Guys from the previous class like Barkley/Miller/Shaq/Kenny are entrenched as analysts and aren't going anywhere soon.

TBH I wish some of them would get moved out so we can get some new perspectives. I'm kinda tired of hearing the same old hot takes from the usual suspects.

Ronin Ray

What's gonna happen to players from the KG/AI/Ray Allen generation now? KG is getting a spot on TNT but it sounds like it's short segments rather than sitting with them at the desk.

Guys from the previous class like Barkley/Miller/Shaq/Kenny are entrenched as analysts and aren't going anywhere soon.

TBH I wish some of them would get moved out so we can get some new perspectives. I'm kinda tired of hearing the same old hot takes from the usual suspects.

If guys are good talkers and entertainers they will get jobs. You may have to watch different channels but they will be there. I want a segment with Tim Duncan where he just no sells everything an shows no emotion. Curry hits a crazy game winning 3 cut to Duncan with a stone face and he just shrugs

Gigglepoo

He's close 3rd. Because rayray had this kind of moment

GettyImages-170830969.jpg

And a better form lol.

Reggie was the best player in the Pacers for most of his career. Ray Allen got to play third and fourth fiddle on loaded teams. Kind of a tough comparison.

Reggie's Pacers had much more success that Ray's Bucks and Supersonics, though, and his team didn't trade him. Ray was traded twice!

charsace

Reggie was a great 3pt shooter off the catch, but not off the dribble. Ray was a better 3pt shooter off the dribble than Reggie and was the 4th guy I had ever seen who was great shooting 3s off the dribble(first was Larry Bird then Tim Hardaway and Allan Houston). Klay and Curry have taken shooting 3s off the dribble to a new level and then you have Kyrie who shoots 3s off the dribble at a level beyond guys in previous eras and you have up and comers like Booker who can pull it off. Reggie probably isn't top 5 in 3pt shooting ability and if I had to pick 3 guys it would be Curry, Dirk, Bird for 3pt shooting.

I still think it is hilarious that a guy with Baron Davis' shot selection is the best player in the game and that his style of play is what teams are looking for. The original beard has been redeemed.

Servbot24

Banned
Reggie was my favorite player as a kid. Once he retired I lost some interest in the league. Some new guys have definitely reinvigorated it in recent years though.

Loved Reggie when he destroyed the Knicks, but hated him when he went against my Bulls. Loved the back to back home and home game where Reggie bowed after beating Bulls first game, and Pippen came back 2nd game after Bulls won and bowed to the crowd.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOMzdxynChs Bulls still won. I thought they lost that game. I forgot that shot by Kukoc. Gives me goosebumps. That year devastated me. I wanted Pippen to win without MJ.

OldMan

Banned
Cavs organization has been totally cool throughout this whole World Series and scheduling games accordingly because of times. 1+ and Rockets look really good, had no clue they picked up Anderson and Nene.

I get to see muh Lakers play the Pacers tonight. I think I'm only eleven rows up too. This should be a good night.

Man my work schedule has my days screwed up. I thought today was the 2nd so I was like, "no the lakers play the Hawks tonight."

Damn, no local basketball for me :( work is going to be a drag.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Need gif of Kyrie yelling, "Get the fuck out of here" after he hit the dagger 3, holy shit.

see5harp

Dude is talented as hell, but is his own worst enemy.

Tired of hearing the "talented" and "passionate" arguments. He's a dumb man baby who loses more games than he wins with his selfish behavior. He needs psychiatric help. He's basically the Azealia Banks of the NBA with his constant arguing with refs and players. At this point I just laugh when he has his hands in the air watching the other team run back to score on a 5 on 4.

Top Bottom