• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogs31

3 more isnt "way more" championships.

Umm, yes it is? It's twice as many as LeBron has. Most great players are only in their prime for 10 years and maybe a notch below that level for another 5. 3 more championships is pretty significant considering that.

The league is arguably better today talent wise top to bottom then it was in the 90s. Theres a shortage of true Hofers but the top to mid tiers of players are stuffed at a few positions.

The talent in the league is better today I agree. But guess what? 80% of that talent is in the Western Conference, you know, the conference LeBron has intentionally avoided to make his path to the finals easier. If you want to compare talent in the eastern conference today to when Jordan played, it's not even a discussion, the Eastern Conference was miles better in the 80's and 90's then it is now.

If we're keeping tabs, MJ never faced a team as tough as the 14-15, 15-16 GSW's or 12-13 13-14 SA in the Finals.

Totally disagree, I think you're forgetting how good the 93 Suns were. They won 62 games despite not having their second best player (Kevin Johnson) for half the season. They had the best power forward in the league (Barkley), one of the top 5 point guards (Johnson), one of the best shooters in the league (Majerle), and they had Danny Ainge and Tom Chambers coming off the bench. That team was loaded and Jordan beat them by himself averaging 41 a game for the entire finals.

h1nch

Yeah I think I'm about done w/ LaMarcus Aldridge.

Hope he opts out after next year if the Spurs can't dump him in a trade.

mjp2417

Banned
Totally disagree, I think you're forgetting how good the 93 Suns were. They won 62 games despite not having their second best player (Kevin Johnson) for half the season. They had the best power forward in the league (Barkley), one of the top 5 point guards (Johnson), one of the best shooters in the league (Majerle), and they had Danny Ainge and Tom Chambers coming off the bench. That team was loaded and Jordan beat them by himself averaging 41 a game for the entire finals.

There is no universe in which the '93 Suns were as good as the last 2 Warriors teams (who averaged 70 wins a season) or the 2014 Spurs (who featured 4 future Hall of Famers and played basketball as well as anyone has ever seen it played in the Finals). The Suns were simply a good but not great team that rode a career year from Chuck to the Finals.

How the hell can I watch nbatv? I'm on the road for work and I have it as part of my cable package. But it won't let me stream it on my iPad. Says has to be watched in home?!

Whose stock has declined more sharply over the last few years since changing teams: Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge?

LMA. Kevin Love was on fire in the 2016 series when the Cavs ripped through the East, was on fire to start this year, still is amazing at rebounding, has never lost a playoff series or an NBA game in the United States in the East, etc.

h1nch

Has Aldridge been weak all year?

It's tough because he's a good defender and definitely helps them on that end even when his shot isn't falling, which seems to be all of the time. He also doesn't seem to be nearly as good of a post player as he's supposed to be.

And even when he has a good game it's typically due to him loading up early on. When it's crunch time he always seems to disappear on offense or just go cold from spots that he's supposed to be money from.

Last season he went on a tear after the all star break. This year he's had no such streak. He was annoyed that he didn't make the all star team but he totally didn't deserve to.

Boogs31

There is no universe in which the '93 Suns were as good as the last 2 Warriors teams (who averaged 70 wins a season) or the 2014 Spurs (who featured 4 future Hall of Famers and played basketball as well as anyone has ever seen it played in the Finals). The Suns were simply a good but not great team that rode a career year from Chuck to the Finals.

The Spurs had ZERO top 10 players in the NBA during both of those finals runs. Tim Duncan was still good, but clearly past his prime, same can be said for Parker and Ginobili, and Kawhi was very promising and a great role player but definitely not the star he is now. Those teams played a very aesthetically pleasing game, but out of the 5 Spurs championship teams, they're not even in the top 3.

And the first Warriors finals team had little to no playoff experience and it was before Draymond had become a confident offensive player. The second Warriors finals team had an injured Steph Curry, no Bogut for the final 2 and a half games and no Draymond for game 5.

And having Charles Barkley, who's a top 20 player ALL TIME in the NBA, during his best season makes you a great team. As long as you have a good supporting cast, which they did.

Beverley is back. Probably disliked his bad performances, plus him picking up 3 fouls early, and now he's powered up. If anything blows the door open, it's gonna be Beverley powering up (game 1 was the same)

Tommy DJ

LMA. Kevin Love was on fire in the 2016 series when the Cavs ripped through the East, was on fire to start this year, still is amazing at rebounding, has never lost a playoff series or an NBA game in the United States in the East, etc.

And most importantly, Kevin Love can shoot a mean 3 ball when he gets going.

Aldridge doesn't really shoot 3s unless he's got several seconds to set up his shot so when he's shooting 40% off long 2s, he's incredibly inefficient.

I just wish he'd use his size in the paint way more often. The one thing the Spurs miss is Duncan's ability to get easy buckets with that hook shot off the glass. That's an easy 10 points off 50% shooting percentage and gives guys like Green and Mills more room to shoot.

Rockets just have to stop one player (Westbrook) and OKC is winning. If we make it to GS, we'll have to stop 3 players. Thats why I don't think we have a prayer beating GS. SAS is more manageable since they rely heavily on Kawaii

Nice job drawing the foul Harden!

A part me always chuckles tbh. I decent amount of those 3 pt fouls will become non-shooting fouls soon, but he'll still be good at drawing 3 pt fouls, and while the rule remains, it's always gonna make me feel oddly smug.

If the game doesn't slow down too much, it doesn't really bother me.

rambis

Banned
Umm, yes it is? It's twice as many as LeBron has. Most great players are only in their prime for 10 years and maybe a notch below that level for another 5. 3 more championships is pretty significant considering that.
Not really. If we were talking Bill and anyone else then you would say he has alot more. But if Lebron wins 1 or 2 more then the differences start to become negligible. I consider the likes of MJ, Bird, and Magic all in the same tier.

The talent in the league is better today I agree. But guess what? 80% of that talent is in the Western Conference, you know, the conference LeBron has intentionally avoided to make his path to the finals easier. If you want to compare talent in the eastern conference today to when Jordan played, it's not even a discussion, the Eastern Conference was miles better in the 80's and 90's then it is now.

Idk about intentionally avoiding the West. The 8 championship promising Heat Big 3 would've teamed up anywhere I think. And Cavs made most sense for a lot of reasons.

Those Spurs and Warriors teams had some of the best offensive and defensive ratings of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom