• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I must say, Rockets/OKC was the ugliest series I remember seeing and by seeing I mean watching about 8 minutes a game before my eyes started to bleed and I had to turn it off.

Everyone who is crying about super teams, this is what you want?

Uhh... Yes. Fuck your shitty ass blowouts and coasting to the Finals like it's pre-determined in July. I'd rather take a physical ugly game that's close most of the way through than your Rookie difficulty or whatever on 2K.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Kawhi leonards answer about it not about him being the best, but his team being the best? Hnnnnnnnngggggggg gimme that guy all day every day.

Shame that he's not very good

Where did I say winning doesn't matter? Lmfao. Winning to get an individual award is what doesn't matter, guy. It's an individual award. Basketball's obsession with giving it to the guy on one of the better teams doesn't really make any sense. Its not a participation award, it's a "you were the best, most valuable, most exciting player in the league" award. Not team. Player. It's right there in the name.

Trying to argue otherwise in the name of "this is how it's always been done" doesn't take away from that.

Projections don't matter. We all thought OKC would end up about where they ended up. Then the season started, and we didn't think they'd even make the playoffs. What changed? Russ. Them finishing in the same place we thought they would doesn't change the fact we all thought they'd arrive there in a luxury vehicle, not some beatdown piece of shit that Russ had to drag to the finish line. That kind of difference matters.
I literally posted a bunch of facts and you turn into a 10 year old child quoting a bunch of bullshit? lmao

Who thought that OKC wouldn't finish anywhere where they did once the season started? The fuck kind of logic is this? OKC was projected by practically every news publication and betting places to make the amount of wins they made. If your point is they didn't start killing every team and everyone changed their mind (in other words, not rational nba fans who overreact on a weekly basis), am I supposed to sympathize with those kind of fans?

Your idea on what MVP is is hilarious. Westbrook wasn't the best player, nor is he the most valuable since his ability was was to get his team to 10th in the league, or 6th in his own conference. That garbage metric would put Anthony David in the top 3 every single year, but it doesn't. And winning while dominating does matter since that's generally been the metric on who wins 99% of the time they announce the award.

But you're right about one thing. Who is the most exciting player is how you determine MVP. Also best dressed and the one that gives the coolest post game interviews. Maybe we can add some post scoring celebrations on the list?

Cornbread78

guys.
relax.

See, it can be sport and fun as well:

MkRrlnr.gif

MVP baby!

Boogs31

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. Rather watch Golden State show us beautiful basketball while beating down the opponent rather than a tight free throw competition.

I enjoyed watching Warriors/Blazers game 4 up until they were up 28 to 5. It was cool to see how great the Warriors could play. But then, after you've seen that and you know the last 3 and a half quarters are a formality, there is zero drama.

I also fast forward free throws when I watch, so a lot of free throws doesn't bother me.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Are you sure? What was his excitement level on the court though? I feel like he was at least 6.5/10, it totally makes sense why he won his MVPs.

To be honest, I think you're zoning in on that particular word and ignoring everything else he said around it. His intent seemed pretty clear. Not saying I agree one way or the other.

I literally posted a bunch of facts and you turn into a 10 year old child quoting a bunch of bullshit? lmao

Who thought that OKC wouldn't finish anywhere where they did once the season started? The fuck kind of logic is this? OKC was projected by practically every news publication and betting places to make the amount of wins they made. If your point is they didn't start killing every team and everyone changed their mind (in other words, not rational nba fans who overreact on a weekly basis), am I supposed to sympathize with those kind of fans?

Your idea on what MVP is is hilarious. Westbrook wasn't the best player, nor is he the most valuable since his ability was was to get his team to 10th in the league, or 6th in his own conference. That garbage metric would put Anthony David in the top 3 every single year, but it doesn't. And winning while dominating does matter since that's generally been the metric on who wins 99% of the time they announce the award.

But you're right about one thing. Who is the most exciting player is how you determine MVP. Also best dressed and the one that gives the coolest post game interviews. Maybe we can add some post scoring celebrations on the list?

I didn't wanna include everything in the quote. It was a lot of shit. Calm down. You'll be okay, guy. Is everything okay at home?

I'll leave it all up there this time if it makes you feel better, though. Since you responded to the points I made by making the very same points I just finished debunking, I think it's safe to say we're done here anyways lol.

Russ is the MVP. It's over. Everyone who matters in the decision process disagrees with you. Move on.

Surprised so many people give a fuck about regular season MVP. It's such a meaningless award - especially in the NBA where players don't actually try until the playoffs.

I enjoyed the Rockets/OKC more than the Warriors/Blazers series if that's what you're asking. You can say all you want about how ugly the Rockets/OKC series was, but at least it was competitive. I'd rather watch an ugly game that is close than a beautiful game that's a blowout.

The 4th quarter was almost one hour. Hard to endure.

The 1st quarter of the 4th game of the Warriors was better than anything of this series.

Yeah competitive games are great, but not the way this series was played. Seeing free throws, bricks, hacking and guys throwing their arms at any three point attempt is anything but fun.

Jacce

Banned
The fact that there is probably one game left in the miserable career of Paul Pierce and nobody gives a fuck gets me hard.
He'll be a first ballot basketball hall of fame entry.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. LeBron James 1.0000
2. Dwyane Wade 1.0000
3. Dirk Nowitzki 1.0000
4. Chris Paul 0.9999
5. Kevin Durant 0.9979
6. Paul Pierce 0.9974
7. Chris Bosh 0.9951
8. Dwight Howard 0.9910
9. Carmelo Anthony 0.9818
10. Russell Westbrook 0.9579
11. Stephen Curry 0.9492
12. Vince Carter 0.9455
13. Tony Parker 0.9386
14. Pau Gasol 0.9335
15. James Harden 0.9234

TTG

As someone who has defended WB often in past years and criticized him often this year, I think he's getting just a bit too much crap for the way the series played out...

I really don't want to talk about the series because it was utter trash, but to OKC's season over all: it was more catered to a self absorbed player than Kobe's last year was. And the Lakers weren't going to go anywhere anyway and neither was OKC and the world keeps turning, but that's what it was. I don't know if it's OKC's way of saying thanks for not leaving us or if he commands the locker room to such an extent and he decided this was the thing to do, the why doesn't really matter. It was obvious for anyone following the nba this year with any insight into basketball.

Last year, Adams was one of the most promising young centers in the game, now he just carries Russ's jockstrap. Oladipo isn't any better(or is he actually worse?) and he came over from the Magic ffs. Kanter was a good sixth man and he showed it against the Spurs, now he's back to being a punchline. The list keeps on going. Maybe Russ spends this off season rocking back and forth petting his MVP trophy like Golumn and it's all better next year, but right now I'm guessing agents around the league are telling their players to stay the hell away from OKC. This series and these 4th quarters encapsulate what's been going on all year.

Props to Beverly for telling it like it is post game, because of course Russ is out there with that fake shit about how they're all in it together. Welcome Westbrook, king of Oklahoma.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is this a make or break series for John Wall and his legacy? If the Wizards loose to the Hawks how damaging is it to his legacy if he can't even get out the first round?

Dat SAS/Skip culture is destroying sports.

He's been in the league since 2010 though. He's not a rookie or even in his first few years. In theory 26-30 should be his prime. Getting ousted in the first round doesn't help his cause especially in a week Eastern Conference.

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. LeBron James 1.0000
2. Dwyane Wade 1.0000
3. Dirk Nowitzki 1.0000
4. Chris Paul 0.9999
5. Kevin Durant 0.9979
6. Paul Pierce 0.9974
7. Chris Bosh 0.9951
8. Dwight Howard 0.9910
11. Stephen Curry 0.9492
12. Vince Carter 0.9455
13. Tony Parker 0.9386
14. Pau Gasol 0.9335
15. James Harden 0.9234

Are the shorts that he shit in already in the Hall?

Ripenen

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. LeBron James 1.0000
2. Dwyane Wade 1.0000
3. Dirk Nowitzki 1.0000
4. Chris Paul 0.9999
5. Kevin Durant 0.9979
6. Paul Pierce 0.9974
7. Chris Bosh 0.9951
8. Dwight Howard 0.9910
11. Stephen Curry 0.9492
12. Vince Carter 0.9455
13. Tony Parker 0.9386
14. Pau Gasol 0.9335
15. James Harden 0.9234

How do they calculate this probability? Dwight Howard seems way high. HOF is not just based on stats is it?

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. LeBron James 1.0000
2. Dwyane Wade 1.0000
3. Dirk Nowitzki 1.0000
4. Chris Paul 0.9999
5. Kevin Durant 0.9979
6. Paul Pierce 0.9974
7. Chris Bosh 0.9951
8. Dwight Howard 0.9910
11. Stephen Curry 0.9492
12. Vince Carter 0.9455
13. Tony Parker 0.9386
14. Pau Gasol 0.9335
15. James Harden 0.9234

Manu at #20 behind Blake Griffin
Holy shit lol
Melo at 9 is a joke too

The bar for the basketball hall of fame isn't all that high. Dwight is like a 2 or 3 time defensive player of the year and was the best player on a Finals team. He's probably getting in.

Boogs31

The 4th quarter was almost one hour. Hard to endure.

The 1st quarter of the 4th game of the Warriors was better than anything of this series.

Yeah competitive games are great, but not the way this series was played. Seeing free throws, bricks, hacking and guys throwing their arms at any three point attempt is anything but fun.

Game 3 of the Rockets/OKC was fantastic. Harden and Westbrook both played great and the game came down to the last shot.

Game 1 of the Warriors/Blazers game was much more watchable than game 4 because it was actually close. Both teams were playing well. If you said game game 1 of that series was better than anything from Houston/OKC I might agree with you. Games 2 thru 4 were mostly boring because the outcome was clear from the get go. Sports are at their best when players are pushed to the limit and there is actual drama.

TTG

Uhh... Yes. Fuck your shitty ass blowouts and coasting to the Finals like it's pre-determined in July. I'd rather take a physical ugly game that's close most of the way through than your Rookie difficulty or whatever on 2K.

Just saw this, who is coasting to the finals? Last year GSW were down 3-1 to OKC, year before that they were down 2-1 to Memphis and other series were close. On the other side, Lebron is always going to make it, he doesn't need stars around him.

Manu at #20 behind Blake Griffin
Holy shit lol
Melo at 9 is a joke too

What about Chris Bosh at 7? If ever there was a player who benefited from a weak Eastern conference. Dude made like 11 straight all stars because there was never another big man in the East.

Boogs31

Just saw this, who is coasting to the finals? Last year GSW were down 3-1 to OKC, year before that they were down 2-1 to Memphis and other series were close. On the other side, Lebron is always going to make it, he doesn't need stars around him.

I don't think anyone that says the Warriors are going to coast to the finals this year also means they coasted in previous years. Yes OKC pushed them to the brink last year, but the Warriors now have Durant and OKC doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom