• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Hill looking good. I want to see him back at the Spurs if they can't get Paul.

gordon-hayward-went-from-lll-have-her-home-by-9-12307582.png

What's with the US and this daddy stuff

Good luck to Houston-GAF. These Texas post-season matchups are almost always intense, so here's to another good series. I expect Harden to throttle the Spurs, so hopefully Kawhi continues to ball with others stepping up.

Ripenen

Good luck to Houston-GAF. These Texas post-season matchups are almost always intense, so here's to another good series. I expect Harden to throttle the Spurs, so hopefully Kawhi continues to ball with others stepping up.

Harden didn't shoot very well in the first round. Maybe he's had enough rest to put that behind him, but if not the Rockets are going to have a hard time.

Harden had a player's tribune article

James Harden said:
In a way, this whole ride started back last summer with Coach D'Antoni's crazy idea.

After Coach took the job, we immediately got on the phone — talking about what went wrong last season, talking about our roster, talking about changes we could make. Normal intro-type stuff. It was clear he was smart as hell about basketball, but laid back, too. He was asking questions and listening, instead of acting like he already knew everything. I liked his vibe right away.

And then before we hung up, he stopped and just said straight up: ”Honestly, we need you to be the point guard."
We met up a number of times over the summer. Coach is big on film, and we watched a lot of it. Sometimes it was a Rockets game but mostly it was older stuff — from those run-and-gun Suns teams he coached. Basically, we watched a lot of Steve Nash running the point. Coach said he wanted me to study one of the great scoring point guards in the history of the game.

It was some of the most fun I've had in a film room. I can still see Coach pointing at the TV, getting excited about something Nash had done in a game. He'd pause the film, and we'd talk about Nash's ability to change pace, or how he was reading the defense, or how he always seemed to get guys the ball who hadn't touched it in a few possessions. Coach talked about how Nash was a vocal leader — something I've tried to improve on more and more each year. And he kept telling me how much Nash evolved as a player each season.
Again and again the idea of me moving to the point would come up. And I think he was basically trying to say: If you're willing to score a little bit less, and have the ball in your hands more, you could be running the offense like this.

Then he'd point back to Nash on the screen.

One day I had to tell him what was on my mind.

”Uh, Coach? I have to say ... I'm not the biggest fan of Seven Seconds or Less."

That's what I told him. Looking back, I'm surprised I said that. Seven Seconds or Less is the thing that made him famous in Phoenix. But I wasn't trying to knock that system. I was just trying to be honest: Just because it had worked for them didn't mean it would work for us.

I knew our team was going to be able to fill it up, but a run-and-gun team? It didn't seem like our style. We were going to have to work the shot clock a little longer to get better shots.

Coach's response surprised me. He didn't get defensive. He wasn't even mad. He just told me that I was missing his point.

Forget the position, he said. Watching film wasn't about trying to copy the Suns offense or even about point guard. It wasn't about a position on the court at all.

Coach was talking about sacrificing for something bigger than myself.

cantona222

I will be in Boston on Tuesday. I can catch game 2 between the Celtics & Wizards. So if I go to the box office of the arena during half time, will the ticket prices drop compared to getting the tickets before the game?

Ripenen

Harden has been dealing with a wrist issue too right?

Yeah not sure how serious that is but the original injury happened I think back in March. He missed one game with illness but other than that hasn't taken any time to recover. I'd expect him to shoot better after almost a week of rest/rehab.

DopeToast

Banned
Fucking pumped for Cavs round two basketball. Hope the week-plus off helps the team. Not expecting a sweep, but hopefully we can close out in six? I'm perpetually nervous watching this team.

spyder_ur

I will be in Boston on Tuesday. I can catch game 2 between the Celtics & Wizards. So if I go to the box office of the arena during half time, will the ticket prices drop compared to getting the tickets before the game?

Uhhh, no, definitely not. There won't be tickets to sell. Your best bet is Stubhub or Ace Ticket and prices are looking like $60-80 per balcony seat.

There are scalpers all around the Garden. Occasionally you can find one nervously trying to unload some tickets after the game has started, but it's hardly a sure thing, especially given it's the playoffs.

Congratulations on visiting the greatest city in the country, though.

James Harden said:
That's my obsession now. To be the kind of leader who does what's necessary to win.

Leadership:
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/KindlyPaleInchworm

Harden had an incredible year, but we'll see how much of a leader Harden is this series, and if he wants to commit to playing the game correctly and completely.

Please, please, please don't suck in this series Derozan and Lowry. Make it competitive.

I'm pretty confident Raptors will give them a fight. DeRozan and Lowry have been killer against the Cavs this season, and even though they lost those games, they were still all fairly competitive. I think the addition of Serge Ibaka and rise of Norm Powell can swing things in their favor now. Unless the Cavs find that switch. Then it's over for the East.

Cornbread78

I'm pretty confident Raptors will give them a fight. DeRozan and Lowry have been killer against the Cavs this season, and even though they lost those games, they were still all fairly competitive. I think the addition of Serge Ibaka and rise of Norm Powell can swing things in their favor now. Unless the Cavs find that switch. Then it's over for the East.

Tucker is the key bruh. Just 1 or 2 Bron fingers smashed will do.

cantona222

Uhhh, no, definitely not. There won't be tickets to sell. Your best bet is Stubhub or Ace Ticket and prices are looking like $60-80 per balcony seat.

There are scalpers all around the Garden. Occasionally you can find one nervously trying to unload some tickets after the game has started, but it's hardly a sure thing, especially given it's the playoffs.

Congratulations on visiting the greatest city in the country, though.

Really? Us this a special case for the garden?
Because 3 years back I was able to get tickets for in Brooklyn for the Eastern second round against Lebron's Miami.

Barrage

I'm still not used to this New NBA money.

I was tellin somebody I thought Monroe was gonna take his Player Option, because he wouldn't get 17 Mil from anybody...

...then I remembered IAN MAHIMNI got 17 Million. Makes about the same as John Wall.

Gigglepoo

The Clippers would be smart to let him walk and not spend the money imo, but they probably will overpay for Blake and also keep Paul and be mediocre for many years because welcome to the NBA

There are worse fates every year than winning 50+ games and being one of the few relevant NBA teams.

There is no fate worse than playing with Chris Paul.

What will Blake choose?

spyder_ur

Really? Us this a special case for the garden?
Because 3 years back I was able to get tickets for in Brooklyn for the Eastern second round against Lebron's Miami.

Boston ain't Brooklyn. I don't know if they release any same-day tickets (maybe call the box office), but you certainly won't be able to get them once the game has started at a discount.

Al Horford is playing the playoffs. Tim Duncan is at home playing some videogame. That tells you everything you need to know about Superstar Al Horford.

Chris Paul is an annoying player that plays dirty and yet whines at the refs all the time for little to no reason. There's a lot of plays involving him pushing dudes in mid air, punching fools in the balls or just all around doing weird shit that could get guys injured. He's also a fucking shitbag that can't get anyone to rally around him. I like his play, but dislike everything else about him as human being.

Thats actually Clippers culture.

Harden has been dealing with a wrist issue too right?

Wrist issue seems to be over, but he sprained(?) his ankle in game 3. Hopefully, the extra days means that he's rested up now

Leadership:
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/KindlyPaleInchworm

Harden had an incredible year, but we'll see how much of a leader Harden is this series, and if he wants to commit to playing the game correctly and completely.

1st one is on Ryan Anderson, Harden is clearly rotating to cover Taj Gibson. In fact, all three clips were examples of the Rockets using Harden to pack the paint, making life harder for Westbrook/Adams/Gibson, but also allowing Roberson to try and gain momentum and crash the boards/make layups. It's the sacrifice that the Rockets made - Harden did a great job at hurting those Russ drives into traffic with his body and arms

Our Max Player

Tim Duncan had a 21 points, 20 rebounds and 11 assists (plus 8 blocks) to close out the 2003 NBA finals - playing both PF and C positions - so there's a little give and take I guess.

Scrub isn't even as good as Hakeem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom