• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
Ayesha Curry is opening a BBQ restaurant in SF...Steph ain't leaving the bay.

Glad all you fans of sucker ass teams had those wet dreams while they lasted.
Yes yes and she is going to be the one there every day running the place so Steph can't leave!

LionPride

Banned
Will the KD/Klay team wear Seattle uniforms? Klay going to WSU is close enough right?

Spurs will upset GS in 7 so Kawhi can put the clamps on Lebron.
giphy.gif

Why is he hindered by that? Do you know how awful those Cavs teams were ?

This isn't a tennis match, he still needs support and those teams were complete ass in a conference that has been a joke for a decade +

You can hold the Heat Ls to his head, but it becomes irrelevant if he can beat this Ws squad.

"Those" Cavs teams? He led one awful Cavs to the Finals (and so did Allen Iverson with the 6ers) where he had a TS% of .428 (Iverson had a .486 and scored over 35 points a game). The other Cavs team was injured, sure, but shit happens. Even if you remove those 2 from the situation, he's looking at a 3-2 Finals record.

I would never say count the rings to hold anyone from being a good player or a great player. Championships isn't the sole measurement of greatness (or even a good measurement), but a losing record in the Finals? That's not the GOAT, that can't be. He'll be one of the best, but you can't claim to be THE best with a record like that.

Surfinn

Oh damn.. Was hoping Hitta would just get tagged with "Not very good"

Anyway back to reality. Hope the warriors take it in 4.

Mike Budenholzer will relinquish his duties as president of the Atlanta Hawks but will remain as head coach.

Wes Wilcox will also remain with the front office in a high ranking role.

The Hawks will begin searching for a new head of basketball operations.

Now do the same thing Doc.

You can shitpost all you want, if he beats the Warriors this year that will be the greatest single achievement in NBA history.

Jordan never had to face such an OP team.

What the fuck, I'm not shitposting, Lebron won't be the GOAT even if he beats the Warriors, that's nonsense. How is that a bigger achievement than like Bill Russell winning 11 titles in 13 years? The Celtics routinely beat a Lakers team that featured 3 HoFers in their squad, it's not like they were going against the Toronto Raptors. This unprecedented superhero thing about Lebron needs to stop.

My point is that this narrative sucks and it only demerits Lebron's legacy, the one he's so fucking obsessed with. Any other sport and yeah, you might have a point. But not in basketball, not in the one sport where there pretty much is a consensus GOAT, not when he's going against a player that was pretty much as statistically dominant as he is and has a pristine Finals record. He'll never surpass Jordan, not unless he wins like the next 3 Finals. Then and only then he'll have a shot.

It's no shame being the second greatest athlete to ever play a sport and we should just be fine with that instead of trying to build up narrative to make him beat the one guy ahead of him.

Gigglepoo

LeBron has made as many Finals appearances consecutively as Jordan reached in his entire career. That's crazy consistency and durability.

phanphare

Banned
To me personally, the top 5 is comprised of the top player at their position.

So MJ, LeBron, Magic, Hakeem, TD

Hakeem, he is my top C all time. Kareem is 2

that's actually an interesting way to do it

me personally, I just find kareem gets no respect in the GoaT lists. he's top 2 for me with MJ and honestly there's not a whole lot any player could do to knock one of them down a spot.

How is that a bigger achievement than like Bill Russell winning 11 titles in 13 years?

Winning 4 titles in the current era is infinitely more difficult than that. Fewer teams with less talent back then.
The Celtics routinely beat a Lakers team that featured 3 HoFers in their squad, it's not like they were going against the Toronto Raptors. This unprecedented superhero thing about Lebron needs to stop.
Showtime Lakers where nowhere near the same level as the current Warriors. Out of those 3 HoF guys only Magic could have carried a franchise at the time. Current Warriors got at least 2 that can do that.

Look I am not saying Lebron is going to overtake Jordan if he wins this year but it will get people talking and I have a feeling Lebron knows it. We are about to witness some shit.

LeBron will never be better than Jordan
I'd have 2a and 2b for Kobe and LeBron tbh

Kobe isn't even in the top 5.

LionPride

Banned
that's actually an interesting way to do it

me personally, I just find kareem gets no respect in the GoaT lists. he's top 2 for me with MJ and honestly there's not a whole lot any player could do to knock one of them down a spot.
That's fair, had longevity and was great forever.

rambis

Banned
What the fuck, I'm not shitposting, Lebron won't be the GOAT even if he beats the Warriors, that's nonsense. How is that a bigger achievement than like Bill Russell winning 11 titles in 13 years? The Celtics routinely beat a Lakers team that featured 3 HoFers in their squad, it's not like they were going against the Toronto Raptors. This unprecedented superhero thing about Lebron needs to stop.

My point is that this narrative sucks and it only demerits Lebron's legacy, the one he's so fucking obsessed with. Any other sport and yeah, you might have a point. But not in basketball, not in the one sport where there pretty much is a consensus GOAT, not when he's going against a player that was pretty much as statistically dominant as he is and has a pristine Finals record. He'll never surpass Jordan, not unless he wins like the next 3 Finals. Then and only then he'll have a shot.

It's no shame being the second greatest athlete to ever play a sport and we should just be fine with that instead of trying to build up narrative to make him beat the one guy ahead of him.
The Spurs and Warriors teams he's played are some of best of all time statistically. Its no grand conspiracy that Lebron has played tough teams in the Finals. I don't think Jordan, or any body really has a Finals win the caliber of last year's.

What needs to stop is this whole sacred cow aspect to Jordan.

If LBJ leads the Cavs past the Warriors it moves him to 4-4 in the Finals. That's not the GOAT.
I guess he should have lost in the first rounds of the playoffs like MJ to be the GOAT.

LeBron will never be better than Jordan
I'd have 2a and 2b for Kobe and LeBron tbh

Kobe LMAO!!! LeBron is already better than MJ. People talk about the East being weak but forget that MJ dominated a league full of low bb iq players full of coke and no athletic ability players like Dan Majerle. The Goat? Not anymore!!!

Nafai1123

Banned
Hey bro, what's your top 5? Is Westbrook in it?

This thread is like Mike and Mike between games.

I don't wanna get banned :p

For real though, I don't feel like I have the experience to do a honest top 5 all time. Didn't watch much when I was younger so I don't feel comfortable judging. Saw Jordan, Kobe, Shaq a bit but that's pretty much it.

That said, WB ain't even top 5 in the league right now. Lebron, KD, Steph, Kawhi, Harden in that order.

Servbot24

Banned
LeBron can't be better than Jordan because I can watch both of them in their prime and see that Jordan is better

LeBron could end up with the honor of the best accomplishment though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom