• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Plenty of people have injured a player - you confident that Draymond hasn't? We've already talked enough about the Love play so I'm not really interested in doing that again. I'm not sure if you're really trying to suggest he was trying to injure Oubre last night (or Lopez in round 1).

Taking it to race seems lame as shit to me - apologies if I misinterpreted and that's not where it was headed. Draymond gets more attention because he's more visible and because Draymond did it like 5 times in a single postseason and cost his team a title.
I mean no one has missed months of time and required surgery because Draymond purposefully injured them *shrug* but again, the point wasn't that Draymond is a model citizen.

And I think race certainly plays a part in it. Scrappy or "gritty" behavior as Ninja Scooter mentioned for white guys turns black players into "thugs". That's been going on for decades in numerous sports.

megalowho

I mean no one has missed months of time and required surgery because Draymond purposefully injured them *shrug* but again, the point wasn't that Draymond is a model citizen.

And I think race certainly plays a part in it. Scrappy or "gritty" behavior as Ninja Scooter mentioned for white guys turns black players into "thugs". That's been going on for decades in numerous sports.
It's all the purposeful and tried to do it caveats that don't line up with his temperament and his mentally soft game. Love got injured, that's facts. When he gets built up to be some kind of headhunter, that's comedy.

Cornbread78

KHrBv7S.gif

phanphare

Banned
yeah I don't know, maybe it's because olynyk is a relatively insignificant player on a team that's most likely not going to make it to the finals

look at delly. he's a dirty player that probably got talked about more because he was on a championship contending team. if he made the same dirty plays on another team I doubt it'd get much play in the mainstream.

Fjordson

I'm not going to say that race plays no part in it but I would say that national exposure is pretty major, especially with Draymond being star and Olynyk being a role player.
I can agree with that.

And like I said, I don't want to suggest Draymond hasn't deserved discipline. He fucked up last year, that's on him.

Get outta here with what? Olynyk injured a player and put him out for months, something Draymond's never done. Then tried to do it again this year. Those are simple facts. And that's also not at all why Draymond got suspended.

The point isn't that Draymond is a saint, it's the difference between the attention that the two get and the reasons why.

Personally I think the difference in perception between them is not only due to what's being implied here, but also the fact that Olynyk is a shit bench role player while Draymond is one of the most high profile players in the league. Nobody cares about what Olynyk does, his play doesn't warrant that relevance.

I'm not going to say that race plays no part in it but I would say that national exposure is pretty major, especially with Draymond being star and Olynyk being a role player.

Yeah!

It's all the purposeful and tried to do it caveats that don't line up with his temperament and his mentally soft game. Love got injured, that's facts. When he gets built up to be some kind of headhunter, that's comedy.

So Kelly didn't purposely yank his arm (a move which he's repeated) in a totally unneccesaey and reckless way?

spyder_ur

It's just weird because I haven't seen that. The attention and name calling is not at the guy who reacted to a borderline foul by charging at a referee and a player not looking at him but at the guy who set a screen that was, again, at worst borderline illegal.

I didn't bring up Draymond.

My take: it's basketball and I've played it my entire life. People get heated and you're tangled with bodies all game long. There is a gray area with many of these plays and generally I don't think anyone is trying to hurt other players. If Olynyk was trying to do it, he sucks at it and you'd have more examples.

With the exception of the Oubre charge, I don't really have an issue with any of the physicality or shit-talking in the series; I think it makes it more fun. And I actually think last night's game was pretty well officiated.

For being a dirty player, Draymonds sure doing a good job so far not collecting techs.

Draymond seems like a really smart guy. Let's be honest here, he cost his team a title last year by bullshitting and he knows what that means, so it's very likely we won't see those shenanigans again.

Nafai1123

Banned

So far he hasn't collected a single tech this postseason...though I guess I should be more specific and say he hasn't collected any flagrants either.

Draymond seems like a really smart guy. Let's be honest here, he cost his team a title last year by bullshitting and he knows what that means, so it's very likely we won't see those shenanigans again.

I agree, he knows his value to the team and the importance of him being able to play. I don't think we'll see a repeat of last year at all.

So far he hasn't collected a single tech this postseason...though I guess I should be more specific and say he hasn't collected any flagrants either.

I agree, he knows his value to the team and the importance of him being able to play. I don't think we'll see a repeat of last year at all.
Can you list any examples on when he should have gotten one?

beat

100% this, those are bad shots that Green shouldn't be taking.

Green shot 31.3% from three this regular season. Yowch. He was significantly better last year: 38.8%, almost all of them open or wide open shots.

This year, he's been a little worse when wide open (36.8%) and stunningly worse when just open (24.8%).

I don't like it, but honestly there's basically just one guy in the entire NBA I'm comfortable taking long ass 3s. Even when Klay puts it up I cringe a bit. When it comes to Lebron taking it to me is extra bad because he's more than capable of making the possession end in a better shot.

Besides Steph, I don't mind when Klay or Damien Lilliard shoot long threes.

Perfect.

The last two guys who actually injured players due to their dirty behavior were DellaDiveAndHurtYou and Olynyk. Season ending injuries, not just a bruise or something. Meanwhile, Green breathes on Lebron too hard and people are calling for one year bans. Makes you think what causes that kind of disparity...

You saw how in game 1 Gobert kept shoving him, and the look on Drays face. He wasn't gonna bite, just kept beating them in the one place it matters instead.

Kickz

Who cares

Why do you even watch basketball if you don't enjoy it? If all you want to know is "Team X wins this year" then save your time and tune out til June.

Eh, the San Antonio x Houston series still has some intrigue so that not completely true

LionPride

Banned
Remember when 2K13 came out and a lot of us thought that the Lakers would be a dominant team in real life because PnR all day and Dwight just didn't

I don't like it, but honestly there's basically just one guy in the entire NBA I'm comfortable taking long ass 3s. Even when Klay puts it up I cringe a bit. When it comes to Lebron taking it to me is extra bad because he's more than capable of making the possession end in a better shot.

I swear to god Ryno shoots them better from 2 or 3 ft out behind the line. Harden has a good one from above the key too, and Gordon is good when he's one. Honestly, this entire Rockets team shoots from behind the line (the only 3 pt shooters I'd be uncomfortable shooting like this are Ariza, Dekker, and maybe Patrick Beverley), it's just something they started to do because they realized they could do it and it stretches the floor even more.

I like how Markieff is just sitting there on the bench with his hands calmly folded during the whole thing.

That's what makes it the best

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-play...s-fighting-fouling-trash-talking-330e8274860a

Jason Concepcion said:
There's Oubre, spouting invective over the wan, supine body of Olynyk. Ref Monty McCutchen, holding Oubre back. Wizards backup guard Brandon Jennings — who is freaking terrible and yet was somehow one of my favorite Knicks for two-thirds of this season because he's the Michael Jordan of trolls — was giving the most dishonest effort ever at being a peacemaker. (Jennings would later have to be separated from C's backup Terry Rozier because he is a shit-talking king. This dude is the emperor of a shit-talking federation that spans multiple continents. Brandon Jennings talks so much shit the Dalai Lama would swing on him. This guy beefed with Joe Budden before it was meme-worthy.)
Now look at Markieff (IS IT HIM???) and John Wall on the bench.
0*gHcw_Yq7mEayAu6v.

KEEF NEVER EVEN UNLACES HIS FINGERS. WALL LOOKS LIKE HE'S WAITING FOR HIS CAR TO COME OUT OF THE CAR WASH.
0*HImEzByKVN2ThJQ9.

THE FIGHT IS POTENTIALLY BREAKING OUT. OUBRE LOOKS LIKE HE DOESN'T BELIEVE THAT LIL YACHTY IS ACTUALLY HAPPY ALL THE TIME. AND KEEF AND WALL ARE ACTING LIKE TWO SENIOR CITIZENS IN A BOCA RATON SAUNA TRYING NOT TO TALK ABOUT POLITICS.

Wall and Markieff and the rest of the Wizards were totally ready to for the series to get physical and dirty.

Green shot 31.3% from three this regular season. Yowch. He was significantly better last year: 38.8%, almost all of them open or wide open shots.

This year, he's been a little worse when wide open (36.8%) and stunningly worse when just open (24.8%).

Besides Steph, I don't mind when Klay or Damien Lilliard shoot long threes.

Perfect.

Lillard and Klay are other good ones, yeah. Actually think Lillard started doing this a little before Steph did, or started getting attention for it at least

I swear to god Ryno shoots them better from 2 or 3 ft out behind the line. Harden has a good one from above the key too, and Gordon is good when he's one. Honestly, this entire Rockets team shoots from behind the line (the only 3 pt shooters I'd be uncomfortable shooting like this are Ariza, Dekker, and maybe Patrick Beverley), it's just something they started to do because they realized they could do it and it stretches the floor even more.

I'm still not a huge fan of long ass 3s, but it kind of makes sense on the Rockets offense because the entire philosophy is kind of built around shooting 3s at expedient pace, right? And if it's going in, the other team is pretty much fucked.

But I think that my issues with Lebron taking a long 3 also extend to Harden taking a long 3. Other guys around him shoot at a higher clip and he's such a great passer that moving the ball around and finding a better shot is preferable. If a play broke down and the clock is almost gone, then yeah, shoot it. But early in the clock for no reason? That's a bad possession IMO even if it goes in.

I'm still not a huge fan of long ass 3s, but it kind of makes sense on the Rockets offense because the entire philosophy is kind of built around shooting 3s at expedient pace, right? And if it's going in, the other team is pretty much fucked.

But I think that my issues with Lebron taking a long 3 also extend to Harden taking a long 3. Other guys around him shoot at a higher clip and he's such a great passer that moving the ball around and finding a better shot is preferable. If a play broke down and the clock is almost gone, then yeah, shoot it. But early in the clock for no reason? That's a bad possession IMO even if it goes in.

For both Harden and Lebron, it keeps the defenses more honest. There's this sense when Lebron starts shooting those fuck you 3s and making them, that is most similar to the "Steph Curry is hot" feeling, where you know your team is in a world of hurt and there's nothing that can be done. Teams try to sag off Lebron, and when he's nailing those 3s, it's just time to accept your loss.

The mystery of his jumpshot percentage vs free throw percentage is just odd though.

The mystery of his jumpshot percentage vs free throw percentage is just odd though.

I'll never understand that too especially considering Harden's jumpshot is mechanically sound. Maybe he palms the ball a bit wrong or lead with the wrong fingers and it leads to inconsistency? Not sure why that doesn't apply to the FT as well though lol.

VeeP

Sigh

Seattle deserves a team. Clippers? Kings?

I honestly think Clippers should move to Seattle. I really think the franchise would get more respect there. And this way, fans of LA Basketball can always watch the Lakers.

OKC has fans, Sac has fans. Taking away those teams from those guys would be messed up. Taking Clippers away? You still have another team in the same area. For fans it's bad, but it's not as bad as moving Thunder or Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom