• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin Ray

I choose to believe that if Kevin Harlan does our games, we'll win

Hope we see more of those nasty Harden and Ryno step-back jumpers, Nene mid-range shots (although he shot them on Friday, just missed) and Capela hook shots to punish the Spurs defense. Just enough to keep them honest. Harden and Ryno and Nene are efficient enough at those shots such that they're worth it.

Also, do we need another infusion of anime in this anime thread?

I'm keeping it on because I had another bet that I haven't fulfilled and am planning to get to this summer - watching all of Best Wishes and making a thread where I go over it episode by episode

Although I'm seriously tempted to change it to the Patrick Beverley xenomorph temporarily

Thread always needs more anime . No need to ever ask such silly questions

Ronin Ray

GS is just lucky ATL decided to take the biggest choking crown in the SB..

Nah not even close . Anything can happen in football since the playoffs and Superbowl are one game sudden death. 3-1 warriors tops everything as the biggest choke in north American sports history. The pats are just happy it tops 16-1.

How many MVPs does LeBron have on his team? There's a difference between having 2 MVPs and 3 guys that can go off for 50 whenever they want and two other good players.

I don't understand this. Yes, the Warriors are a better team. They were a better team last year as well. But the Cavs have a great roster, they have the second best roster in the league and it's not particularly close. It's not like the Lebron is taking the fucking Knicks to the Finals.

And let's not act like Lebron didn't go for the super teams. He went to Miami to form a super team, he went back to the Cavs to form another super team. Acting like he's been trapped in a shit squad and is only getting to the Finals thanks to sheer willpower is disingenuous.

Time and time again I don't understand why we must build up heroic narratives about Lebron instead of just enjoying him play. Why must it always be epic?

sad that the raptors season comes to an end today. :(

I've been listening to XM radio as they are having a contest to go to Game 4 of the finals.

and the host keeps saying "tonight is a "rap"" pun intended, and that the contest will be a trip to Game 4 in Cleveland.

man, I'm really hoping that since the Raptors have been the biggest disappointment in the East this post season, that the Celts/Wiz present a good challenge if not an out right (near) upset in the ECF.

Servbot24

Banned
I think Spurs would complete with the Cavs in the Finals, maybe take it to 6 games, because they're the Spurs. And of course GSW. But everyone else in the league would lose in 5 at best to the Cavs.

Boogs31

Go back and watch the tape of Game 5. LeBron and Kyrie's points were coming primarily off jump shots that game and the difficulty level of many of those Kyrie shots was already off the charts. I would buy this argument if the game turned on LeBron/Kyrie getting to the rim at will, but that's simply not what happened. Most of those 82 points were unguardable shots from outside the paint. Draymond obviously helps the Warriors in Game 5, but the Cavs still won that by 15 going away and I don't see Draymond's presence causing a 15 point swing with the way that game in particular played out. Also, Bogut was playing fewer than 17 minutes per game in the postseason. That's not a hell of a lot for a player that allegedly swung the title. We're obviously arguing hypotheticals here, so who the fuck knows for sure, but I just don't see it.

I understand that a good chunk of their points were scored from the perimeter but not all of them. Green is one of the most versatile defensive players in the league, he would have made them less efficient on that end of the floor. He's one of the main reasons the Warriors are an elite defensive team. He can switch screens, he can protect the rim and he reads the game defensively better than anyone in the league. Players rarely score 40+ on exclusively jumpshots. They get into a rhythm by getting to the rim, getting some easy baskets and then hitting from the outside. Green takes away a ton of easy baskets and prevents guys from getting into a rhythm.

This is the shot chart of game 5. I believe Kyrie is on the left and LeBron the right.

http://media.cleveland.com/cavs_impact/photo/nba-finals-game-5-irving-james-7e5ece044a0b83cc.png

I see 11 layups made and 7 shots from 10 to 15 feet made that Draymond could have realistically altered.

And yes the Cavs won by 15 but that's pretending as if the game wasn't close throughout. I believe it was tied at 61 at halftime. You don't think with Green they could have held the Cavs offense under 60 for the half? The Warriors got a really great performance from Thompson and a pretty good performance from Curry in the game. The reason they lost was they didn't get enough stops, especially in the first half. Exactly the thing Draymond helps with.

V5LGI5T.png

Austin Rivers for Porzingis confirmed.

I understand that a good chunk of their points were scored from the perimeter but not all of them. Green is one of the most versatile defensive players in the league, he would have made them less efficient on that end of the floor. He's one of the main reasons the Warriors are an elite defensive team. He can switch screens, he can protect the rim and he reads the game defensively better than anyone in the league. Players rarely score 40+ on exclusively jumpshots. They get into a rhythm by getting to the rim, getting some easy baskets and then hitting from the outside. Green takes away a ton of easy baskets and prevents guys from getting into a rhythm.

This is the shot chart of game 5. I believe Kyrie is on the left and LeBron the right.

http://media.cleveland.com/cavs_impact/photo/nba-finals-game-5-irving-james-7e5ece044a0b83cc.png

I see 11 layups made and 7 shots from 10 to 15 feet made that Draymond could have realistically altered.

And yes the Cavs won by 15 but that's pretending as if the game wasn't close throughout. I believe it was tied at 61 at halftime. You don't think with Green they could have held the Cavs offense under 60 for the half? The Warriors got a really great performance from Thompson and a pretty good performance from Curry in the game. The reason they lost was they didn't get enough stops, especially in the first half. Exactly the thing Draymond helps with.

So what the fuck happened in the next two games?

I don't understand this. Yes, the Warriors are a better team. They were a better team last year as well. But the Cavs have a great roster, they have the second best roster in the league and it's not particularly close. It's not like the Lebron is taking the fucking Knicks to the Finals.

And let's not act like Lebron didn't go for the super teams. He went to Miami to form a super team, he went back to the Cavs to form another super team. Acting like he's been trapped in a shit squad and is only getting to the Finals thanks to sheer willpower is disingenuous.

Time and time again I don't understand why we must build up heroic narratives about Lebron instead of just enjoying him play. Why must it always be epic?

You're completely ignoring the one time Lebron willed the Cavs to the finals before leaving for Miami lmfao. It's epic because the only other player we've seen exhibit his level of mastery at this game was MJ. Don't normalize his performance.

lebron being on the other side of the ball prevents the 3-1 warriors choke from being the worst

No it doesn't. The other situation was Tom Brady vs. the "never done anything BUT choke" Falcons.

Tall4Life

Even since it was Tom Brady, they were down 28-3 late in the THIRD QUARTER. Making up 25 points in such a short amount of time was literally considered impossible, especially with how bad the Patriots were playing. Then they forced an OT, the first in SB history. And then won. Blowing a 3-1 lead isnt some crazy thing, the Cavs had won a game in the series before. Still a hilarious choke job, but not on the level of "This is almost literally fucking impossible" like 28-3. The next biggest comeback in SB history was like, 10 points. 25 is fucking absurd, and the Falcons didnt score again.

Even since it was Tom Brady, they were down 28-3 late in the THIRD QUARTER. Making up 25 points in such a short amount of time was literally considered impossible, especially with how bad the Patriots were playing. Then they forced an OT, the first in SB history. And then won. Blowing a 3-1 lead isnt some crazy thing, the Cavs had won a game in the series before. Still a hilarious choke job, but not on the level of "This is almost literally fucking impossible" like 28-3. The next biggest comeback in SB history was like, 10 points. 25 is fucking absurd, and the Falcons didnt score again.

Nah. Patriots had been pretty much moving the ball at will and the Falcons were scoring quick and easy. As soon as the Patriots made it 28-9, as a Falcons fan, I started getting uneasy. Our defense was already tired. Their time of possession advantage was absurd.

It's football. A lot of shit can happen in one game, even in a quarter. Playing a best of 7 series is supposed to eliminate a lot of that randomness. GS choke job was worse. *shrug* not a big deal.

I miss the playoffs thread from last season when we talked about 6 and 7 games sweeps. All we debate about now is who the better marginal role player is, George Hill, Tony Parker, or Kawhi.

You're completely ignoring the one time Lebron willed the Cavs to the finals before leaving for Miami lmfao. It's epic because the only other player we've seen exhibit his level of mastery at this game was MJ. Don't normalize his performance.

What? I'm not ignoring that. My point is simply how come the narrative about Lebron is always about him playing in shit teams when he hasn't played in a shit team for a fucking long time? Yeah that Cavs team sucked, Lebron got in the Finals because he's a great player. Great for him! But that doesn't mean he always needs more help, or that it's always about how epic of him beating another juggernaut by himself. It's obnoxious, it's like eating a very good pie and barely chewing and instead going OMFG THIS IS SO GOOOOOD every 2 seconds.

Tom Penny

Nah not even close . Anything can happen in football since the playoffs and Superbowl are one game sudden death. 3-1 warriors tops everything as the biggest choke in north American sports history. The pats are just happy it tops 16-1.

There have been four losses in 2,551 games when a team had a 25 point lead in the NFL regular season...so yeah...ATL wins choke title since it was also the SB..Include the playoffs and the odds are much better at 6 out of 2,647 games..0.22 percent.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Where was Raptors defense ranked this year? Watching this...looks like a dumpster fire and that is being generous.

Tom Penny

I see the Cavs continue to shoot 40+ percent from 3 in their sleep..GS should not be heavily favored against them. Any team with that type of shooting is insane.

So can we blow up the raptors and clippers this off season? Especially the raptors, I'm tired of watching their dejected attitudes in most games.

FZZ

Banned
The Cavs are much much worse when Love is on the floor

if he isn't knocking down shots he's a liability outside of boards

Korver is a better defender than him

The Cavs are much much worse when Love is on the floor

if he isn't knocking down shots he's a liability outside of boards

Korver is a better defender than him

Love is great for bigger lineups - if the Cavs face a great rebounding team they'll need him badly. He also scores for them a ton early on, typically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom