• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxpower

the Warriors won 67 games despite their best player missing 20 games. This is a team that won 73 games and then added a top 3 player in the world in his prime. It's possible this is just an all time (maybe THE all time?) great team we are in the midst of seeing. Wouldn't surprise me to see them run the table, and then you have to look at their resume: 67, 73, 67 wins in a 3 year run. 2 titles. 73 wins in a season. 16-0 playoff run. That starts to stack up as an all timer.

The problem is that Klay and Curry always start choking halfway through the playoffs. It's the reason why they could barely beat a depleted Cavs team two years ago and why they lost to the Cavs last year. If the Splash Brothers play well then they should be unstoppable.

The problem is that Klay and Curry always start choking halfway through the playoffs. It's the reason why they could barely beat a depleted Cavs team two years ago and why they lost to the Cavs last year. If the Splash Brothers play well then they should be unstoppable.

That's why they have KD now. KD is the best player on that team. He changes that equation entirely.

In what world does "I wish the playoffs and the NBA was more even with competition" Equal LOLLLROFLOMG GAF SO SALTY 😂😂😂

The best years and series are when competition is tight. Has nothing to do with salt.

beat

I still think Curry was hampered last year by the knee injury. Some nights in the playoffs he was nearly at the level he set in the 2015-16 regular season, and some nights he couldn't make those kinds of moves.

But slipping in a puddle of sweat and injuring a knee isn't really "choking".

yuraya

Spurs have absolutely no chance against the Dubs. The Rockets have a very slight chance simply due to 3 pt. shot variance, and the Cavs have a slightly better one due to 3 pt. variance + LeBron factor, but that's about it. I really miss last year's playoffs when there four teams that were all roughly at the same level of talent.

Its still the Spurs tho. The longer they miss out on the finals the more likely they are to get there. That is just how it is with Popovich. I wouldn't ever count him out until he retires. Too much talent and too much experience on that team even without Duncan and Parker. They still need to get past Harden ofc.

As for the Cavs..They still aren't playing defense anywhere as good as they played last year. Same with rebounding. And that was biggest miracle comeback the NBA has seen in a while. Now Durant is there to rebound and play defense. Something Warriors didn't do that well down the stretch last year. Finals are going to be a repeat of last year except first 4 won't be 3-1 it will be 4-0.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
He averaged 30 ppg on 54% (61% TS) in his last Finals appearance against LeBron. I think he'll be alright.
Stop Scoot. He's a mentally weak choker who shrinks in the moment and Lebron is his daddy. Gotta push that narrative. Those numbers are irrelevant. All about dat eye test.

KD isn't the player to worry about on that team. Nobody can guard his shot. He'll do his thing unless he's just "off" some nights. It's the fact that Steph and Klay can disappear randomly that can be difficult for GSW. If Utah had a team who's 3rd best player was Joe "1st round and out" Johnson, maybe they win tonight. When you hold GSW to 40% shooting, you gotta come up with better than 30% at home. If GSW shoots 40% against the Spurs/Rockets/Cavs they're gonna hold L's.

FZZ

Banned
I been waiting for a minute
For my lady
So I can't jeopardize that for one of these hoes
I been living without limits
As far as my business
I'm the only one that's in control
I been feeling all I've given
For my children
I will die for those I love
God, I'm willing
To make this my mission
Give up the women
Before I lose half of what I own
I been thinking
About my vision
Pour out my feelings
Revealing the layers to my soul
My soul
The layers to my soul
Revealing the layers to my soul

this gonna be the mantra for LeBron fam

no pressure, no more expectations. It will be 10 years since his first Finals appearance

the King will realize his Final form

Bronx-Man

Banned
this gonna be the mantra for LeBron fam

no pressure, no more expectations. It will be 10 years since his first Finals appearance

the King will realize his Final form
tocry.png
what a time to be alive

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Plenty still think Curry is the best player on Golden State. I prefer's KD's two way game this year over Curry.

If they had to miss one for the rest of the playoffs they would be better going alone with Curry than Durant. Curry warps the game in ways that Durant doesn't, is a key ingredient to their culture/vibe the has facilitated their success the past three years and, lest we become prisoners of the moment, has been their best offensive player so far in the playoffs.

TBH though, Draymond is probably the single player they can least afford to lose.

I still think Curry was hampered last year by the knee injury. Some nights in the playoffs he was nearly at the level he set in the 2015-16 regular season, and some nights he couldn't make those kinds of moves.

But slipping in a puddle of sweat and injuring a knee isn't really "choking".

It's really incredible the lengths people go to excuse Curry. He wasn't hurt in 2015's finals. He was last year, but he was playing. On an all-time team. And still found ways to show out in spurts before reaching the finals.

I hate the Draymond excuse too since it wasn't a whole lot he was gonna do the one game he missed to stop Lebron. Not to mention he came back the very next game and watched Lebron put up another 40+ point game, then a triple-double in game 7.

The Warriors just lost last year.

Fjordson

It's really incredible the lengths people go to excuse Curry. He wasn't hurt in 2015's finals. He was last year, but he was playing. On an all-time team. And still found ways to show out in spurts before reaching the finals.

I hate the Draymond excuse too since it wasn't a whole lot he was gonna do the one game he missed to stop Lebron. Not to mention he came back the very next game and watched Lebron put up another 40+ point game, then a triple-double in game 7.

The Warriors just lost last year.
I mean, watching Curry so far in these playoffs compared to last year, it's pretty easy to see that it made a difference.

It's not an excuse, it's a simple fact. Not sure why fans get so angry about it. Hell, when Golden State won Kyrie and Love missed the entire finals. Injury luck is a part of pretty much every title.

The Draymond suspension I do put a little less stock into just because the Dubs had two more chances to end it after that.

He averaged 30 ppg on 54% (61% TS) in his last Finals appearance against LeBron. I think he'll be alright.
Lmao, forreal.

Playoffs really bringing out all the angry shitposters.

I mean, watching Curry so far in these playoffs compared to last year, it's pretty easy to see that it made a difference.

It's not an excuse, it's a simple fact. Not sure why fans get so angry about it online. Hell, when Golden State won Kyrie and Love missed the entire finals. Injury luck is a part of pretty much every title.

Bringing up Curry in 2015's playoffs/finals was supposed to be the point. He was healthy then. What happened? He was hurt last year and still managed to ball out right up until the moment it mattered (the finals).

Golden State pretty much lost last season the exact same way they won the year before that; the difference was Kyrie and Love were on the floor. Lebron was the best player on the floor by a mile both years.

The Cavs just bested them last year. Curry's knee didn't have a ton to do with the outcome. That's why I don't really get bringing it up.

Fjordson

Bringing up Curry in 2015's playoffs/finals was supposed to be the point. He was healthy then. What happened? He was hurt last year and still managed to ball out right up until the moment it mattered (the finals).
Huh? What happened was he played way better than he did in 2016...because he was healthier...

Bringing up 2015 sort of proves my point.

The Cavs just bested them last year. Curry's knee didn't have a ton to do with the outcome. That's why I don't really get bringing it up.
And I think you're wrong *shrug*

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Goddamnit people, what did I say earlier about spamming the garbage hyperbolic hot takes. This thread is a dumpster fire.

teepo

curry's playoff stats from last year had the same level of drops from the title year. just skim through his basketball reference profile and compare his ts, per, ortg, and obpm from the regular season to the playoffs for their respective years. i just can't buy the knee argument

save for tonight's game, he's looking great but the sample size is still small and the competition hasn't been great thus far.

Golden State pretty much lost last season the exact same way they won the year before that; the difference was Kyrie and Love were on the floor. Lebron was the best player on the floor by a mile both years.

This is revisionist history. Curry averaged 26 points a game in the 2015 finals. In game 5, he scored 40. Cleveland played real gutsy in that series, but they were also inexperienced going in.

Mortemis

Banned
Goddamnit people, what did I say earlier about spamming the garbage hyperbolic hot takes. This thread is a dumpster fire.

It's an NBA/sports thread in the playoffs. Hot takes are second nature.

Forreal though the best posters in this thread are the ones who just don't post.

curry's playoff stats from last year had the same level of drops from the title year. just skim through his basketball reference profile and compare his ts, per, ortg, and obpm from the regular season to the playoffs for their respective years. i just can't buy the knee argument

save for tonight's game, he's looking great but the sample size is still small and the competition hasn't been great thus far.

Bingo. If he balls out this year, maybe then the knee argument holds weight. It sure as shit doesn't now. He was ghost in 15's finals.

Boogs31

First off the biggest reason the Warriors lost last year was because they didn't have their best defensive player for game 5. They had all the momentum and home court for that game. If Green plays in game 5 they win the series 4-1. It's that simple.

The second reason they lost was because of fatigue. Because the West is so much more difficult, the Warriors had an all out war to get through the conference finals against OKC while the Cavs coasted through an incredibly weak Toronto team. Curry was not only hurt, but incredible tired by the end of the Finals.

And the third reason they lost was injuries. Not only Curry being less than 100% but Bogut going down in game 5 was critical. Ezeli, Bogut's replacement, was horrible in game 7.

The Cavs didn't best them at all. LeBron and Kyrie were incredible in games 5 thru 7 but it wouldn't have mattered if not for the three things I mentioned above. The Warriors were the best team in the NBA last year. Sometimes the lesser team triumphs.

FZZ

Banned
First off the biggest reason the Warriors lost last year was because they didn't have their best defensive player for game 5. They had all the momentum and home court for that game. If Green plays in game 5 they win the series 4-1. It's that simple.

The second reason they lost was because of fatigue. Because the West is so much more difficult, the Warriors had an all out war to get through the conference finals against OKC while the Cavs coasted through an incredibly weak Toronto team. Curry was not only hurt, but incredible tired by the end of the Finals.

And the third reason they lost was injuries. Not only Curry being less than 100% but Bogut going down in game 5 was critical. Ezeli, Bogut's replacement, was horrible in game 7.

The Cavs didn't best them at all. LeBron and Kyrie were incredible in games 5 thru 7 but it wouldn't have mattered if not for the three things I mentioned above. The Warriors were the best team in the NBA last year. Sometimes the lesser team triumphs.

Man it's stuff like this that allowed Jim Sterling to give Breath of the Wild a 7 and have people think that's a valid score

does this count as a hot take

that makes no fucking sense. sometimes the lesser team triumphs, but not in a best of 7 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom