• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, Blake just doesn't look very skilled when he drives. It's the reason Draymond owns him. He contests his jumpers and let's him do his bull rushing spinning thing and forces him into a low percentage shot most of the time.

Wow, what a game! It was close from start to finish. Of course, I'm a bit biased since the Jazz won. Still feeling some residual anxiety from that last play. Not sure if I'll get any sleep tonight.

TTG

Clippers look like they're tired of this basketball thing. Only guy that was at a playoff level was CP3 and he was a little too run down to carry them the whole way, I thought when he hit that 3, then came back and pulled up off the dribble for another attempt it was a clear sign he was tired and he bricked it. He came back and tied it anyway, but there's only so much water the little man can carry, especially when he's been in and out all year.

Last year I was saying all season the Thunder's window was closing(and it didn't take special insight to see), but they played it out. It's the same for the Clippers this year, but it looks like they know. I'm guessing they make it to Oakland anyway, but that's gonna be a beat down.

WTF is Crawford playing 29 minutes for when Redick only has 27? Maybe Ballmer's faith in Rivers will finally crack after this game.

Bread

Banned
Doc needs to go, they've consistently shown that their peak in the playoffs will never be enough to get them to the finals.

TTG

Just got back to see the Joe Johnson buzzer beater. lmao the guy's name is ISO JOE, why did they put crawford on him 1 v 1?

Utah has a bright coaching staff. Rivers kept subbing for offense and defense at the end, so when Paul tied the game he had his offensive players out there, meaning Crawford in for Luc, and Utah caught them by not calling time out. Joe went around a perfunctory screen someone set and Blake switched it without thinking so that left Crawford on Joe. Oh, DJ had himself a McGee-esque contest too, where he's 12 feet in the air so it looks impressive, but he's in fact a step too late to actually affect the shot.

tldr: Regular season defense.

lol at people on here putting down Kawaii, they'll shut up when he wins his second Finals MVP this year. he's the best overall player in the NBA.

Doc needs to go, they've consistently shown that their peak in the playoffs will never be enough to get them to the finals.

Doc is overrated, he got lucky in Boston with his crew of wily, hungry vets.

Doc and Vinny both had the same impact
Western conference semi finals

These guys just can't win, that choke years ago from being up 3-1 or was it 3-2 really killed their moral

pislit

can chris paul hakeem 94, duncan 03, or dirk 11 this (omg the texas teams with their lone star championships) clipper team?

I don't think it's that Chris Paul can't get it done without star teammates. I'm starting to think his teammates are just shit without Chris Paul

Get this man out of LAC. Give him to San Antonio or NOLA or something

Yeah...Please stop this. Stop. Curry was like +1015 this year. In a down year. He's a back to back MVP. He breaks defenses just by being on the floor and at the end of the day scoring and playmaking are the most important parts of the game for an individual player.

LeBron
Curry
KD

Everyone else.

I'm not entirely sure about that ranking. KD became a really great rim protector and defensive player around last post-season and it followed into this season too. Add his consistency and variety in ways to score

Curry has the highest scoring potential, a crazy gravity to him, but I don't think, if I had only one star on my team, that he would necessarily be the best option.

1. Not all scoring is created equal.

2. Curry's defense isn't bad.

3. Curry's offense creates opportunities for his teammates that destroys pretty much any defense including the Spurs.

When Kawhi is top 3 playmaker in the NBA let me know. Until then his ability to effect the game will never be on a LeBron/Curry level.

Curry isn't a top 3 playmaker. He's a great playmaker, and unlike most other elite playmakers is also elite off the ball (only Lebron is similar in that regard), but he is not, on his own, an elite playmaker.

jdstorm

Banned
can chris paul hakeem 94, duncan 03, or dirk 11 this (omg the texas teams with their lone star championships) clipper team?

Probably not. However there are a few teams that he could jump too (he's a free agent this summer) that would give him an opportunity to get close.

Nete

Just watched the Jazz-Clippers, holy game Batman. I'm not sure I've ever had an emotional rollercoaster this big watching an NBA game.

PgeTUIA.jpg

Guy in the right it's me watching Gobert crawling on the floor. At the end of the game I was JJ.

I still can't believe we stole this without Rudy.

Tommy DJ

I don't think he's good enough to completely shoulder the load, the Clippers as a whole aren't good enough, and the coaching staff/environment doesn't seem to be the sort that develops championship winning teams. Let's be honest, what team let's one of their star players punch and break their hand on their equipment manager?

All three of these players seemed to buy into whatever their coaches were selling to them and, in the case of Hakeem and Duncan, were generational talents that were exceptionally good on both ends of the floor.

Out of the top 3 seeded teams, the only one the Clippers can beat are the Spurs, for whatever reason. But they aren't got no hope at all against Golden State if past games are indicative of anything.

cavs won by the grace of god lol.

You mean the grace of CJ. Miles. As a Jazz fan nothing makes me happier then seeing Smiles brick buzzer beaters for other teams.

Guys that Jazz game was magic last night. I love these guys. It's awesome to see vets do their thing.

Hill, Diaw and Johnson!

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I don't think it's that Chris Paul can't get it done without star teammates. I'm starting to think his teammates are just shit without Chris Paul

I'm not entirely sure about that ranking. KD became a really great rim protector and defensive player around last post-season and it followed into this season too. Add his consistency and variety in ways to score

Curry has the highest scoring potential, a crazy gravity to him, but I don't think, if I had only one star on my team, that he would necessarily be the best option.

Curry isn't a top 3 playmaker. He's a great playmaker, and unlike most other elite playmakers is also elite off the ball (only Lebron is similar in that regard), but he is not, on his own, an elite playmaker.

538 makes a compelling argument that Curry and LeBron clearly impact the game more than any other NBA player. Interesting analytics on the effect they have when on the floor (part of their series on the arguments that can be made for various MVP candidates):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-case-for-stephen-curry-mvp/

People who think Curry isn't a great playmaker don't understand gravity at all. He could have 5 assists but he consistently creates 4 on 3 opportunities which is why NBA defenses cannot guard the Warriors. He literally is why they keep winning. It's ridiculous.

jdstorm

Banned
People who think Curry isn't a great playmaker don't understand gravity at all. He could have 5 assists but he consistently creates 4 on 3 opportunities which is why NBA defenses cannot guard the Warriors. He literally is why they keep winning. It's ridiculous.

Its easy to have "Gravity" when you play 8v5 most games and dont get called for defensive fouls 80% of the time

offtopic

Its easy to have "Gravity" when you play 8v5 most games and dont get called for defensive fouls 80% of the time

What? If Curry got half the calls Harden (or even Westbrook) get he'd average another 4-5 points/game. I've never seen a superstar get less calls.

jdstorm

Banned
What? If Curry got half the calls Harden (or even Westbrook) get he'd average another 4-5 points/game. I've never seen a superstar get less calls.

You should try rewatching the first quarter of any game the warriors play against a team with fast guards. (Portland, OKC, Houston, Charlotte, Washington... the list is pretty long)

Without fail the opposition gets inside and draws fouls at will (because GSW always foul on D since they dont have anyone who actually plays good defense except occasionally Durant, Klay and Iggy) Then Refs realise that GSW cant have their "All Stars" foul out. This leads to illegally contested shots when GSW is playing defense, which leads to teams taking more 3s, long rebounds and GSW killing teams in transition.

Every time the foul pendulum gets close enough that calls will go against GSW they give up a few meaningless cynical fouls and make sure they recieve the benefit of the whistle, since NBA refs always try to keep foul calls/free throws somewhat even.

Honestly GSW manipulating refereeing to their advantage at this level is somewhat impressive. Completely unwatchable and uninteresting, but impressive.

offtopic

You should try rewatching the first quarter of any game the warriors play against a team with fast guards. (Portland, OKC, Houston, Charlotte, Washington... the list is pretty long)

Without fail the opposition gets inside and draws fouls at will (because GSW always foul on D since they dont have anyone who actually plays good defense except occasionally Durant, Klay and Iggy)

Leaving out the best defender in NBA means we are sort of done here. I watch most warriors games....do you have any stats to back this up? Opponents routinely get significantly more free throws per game.

offtopic

Curry is a jumpshooter, why would he get more calls?

Because he is getting routinely fouled both on the ball and off. Also, Curry has had one of the highest FG% of all NBA players in the paint the past couple season.... (despite getting repeatedly fouled and not getting the calls).

jdstorm

Banned
Leaving out the best defender in NBA means we are sort of done here. I watch most warriors games....do you have any stats to back this up? Opponents routinely get significantly more free throws per game.

Of course they do, they are the only ones attacking the paint. GSW mostly just take jumpshots off moving screens.

Draymond Green's only useful defensive skill is making referee's afraid for their physical safety if they call a foul on him. He litterally regularly kicks players in the balls. He did it twice last playoffs and only got suspended because the second time he did it to Lebron. He's Chuck Hayes but refs act like he's prime Hakeem

Edit: Here is the game log of all the Warriors games this season. Look at the PF column. Most of the time those numbers are essentially the same for both teams. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2017/gamelog/

Why this benefits GSW is that they rely on smart passing and 3pt shooting so calling less fouls per game usually benefits them.

Edit.
During 1st quarters GSW are ranked 20th in PFs conceded
During the 2nd and 3rd Quarters GSW are ranked 16th in PFs conceded
During the 4th quarter GSW are ranked 4th in PFs conceeded

Nothing unusual to see here folks

jdstorm

Banned
GS is 7th in the league this season in points in the paint but they are just a jump shooting team.

Did you adjust all teams for points scored in the paint off transition opportunities? Because the phrase "jump shooting team" mainly refers to halfcourt offense.

Have you ever watched him play in your life? Curry routinely gets pummeled without calls.

Hell, Curry is ranked 38th in Free Throw attempts, only averaging like 4-5 free throw shots a game. That's a far cry from how often players like Harden, Westbrook, and Derozan force their way to the line.

Haven't watched much rocket games this year, what are their weaknesses? Since it's a MDA team I assume they're a high powered offense with below average defense, is that far off?

Real talk that's way too in my personal space. I would've caught him slipping and hit with a uppercut from hell. Can't talk with no tongue.

Barnes is out. Do the Warriors have a chance?

Nope... Portland's guards are too fast. I'm not even sure why Kerr plays Draymond. He's the worst defender I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom