• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizeezyc

That motherfucker is a top 10 NBA player. Cold hard facts.

Make your case then motherfucker. I want to know how a minus-defense big can make a top 10 list in 2016. His offense can be god-tier, but he's not that god-tier. You're saying you believe in him as a top player on a team, even though he's never been on a team even approaching .500? Two years ago he would have been close, but he's fatter, takes plays off, and lost all his positives on defense. He's high usage without the payoff.

LionPride

Banned
Make your case then motherfucker. I want to know how a minus-defense big can make a top 10 list in 2016. His offense can be god-tier, but he's not that god-tier. You're saying you believe in him as a top player on a team, even though he's never been on a team even approaching .500? Two years ago he would have been close, but he's fatter, takes plays off, and lost all his positives on defense. He's high usage without the payoff.
So we gonna act like he's been surrounded by a competent FO and roster? Anytime he was injuries and a dumbass FO fucked him over. Offensively he's a beast. Defensively, he does take plays off, but he had to carry his team buzzer to buzzer. He's a top 3 Center and a top 10 NBA player.

Clippers have it rough, then again Blake hasn't looked like his peak self in a bit now. I think CP3 and DJ are still relatively formidable but you never know if cp will follow suit with injuries...

Slizeezyc

So we gonna act like he's been surrounded by a competent FO and roster? Anytime he was injuries and a dumbass FO fucked him over. Offensively he's a beast. Defensively, he does take plays off, but he had to carry his team buzzer to buzzer. He's a top 3 Center and a top 10 NBA player.

Being a top 3 center doesn't mean much (I'd take Towns, Gobert, AD over him at that position for the record, to name 3). Center can't be Cousins bad on defense, they just can't be, it becomes so much harder to build a championship-level defense. You can't win with a guy with that high of usage who gives so much of it back on the other end. If he didn't get fatter and stop caring, maybe he'd be sort of in the conversation. And he was even a remotely good teammate (which, hey, that matters if you're that terrible to be around).

The Kings and Boogie were made for each other. They're both a mess and could feed on the souls of each other. And top 10 players do not get dealt for Buddy fucking Hield and protected pick (Paul George in a similar contract situation, he wasn't being dealt for that package) -- Kings are dumb AF, but still just about nobody wanted to risk the Boogie experience. It's a good gamble for the Pelicans, but they were a rare team that could roll them dice.

Kyrie shouldn't be on that list either as Bron made his life. He's like the guard version of Cousins, except it's more acceptable for how little he cares on defense -- and he's more efficient, and it's easier to give him the ball in the clutch than Boogie.

LionPride

Banned
Being a top 3 center doesn't mean much (I'd take Towns, Gobert, AD over him at that position for the record, to name 3). Center can't be Cousins bad on defense, they just can't be, it becomes so much harder to build a championship-level defense. You can't win with a guy with that high of usage who gives so much of it back on the other end. If he didn't get fatter and stop caring, maybe he'd be sort of in the conversation. And he was even a remotely good teammate (which, hey, that matters if you're that terrible to be around).

The Kings and Boogie were made for each other. They're both a mess and could feed on the souls of each other.

Kyrie shouldn't be on that list either as Bron made his life. He's like the guard version of Cousins, except it's more acceptable for how little he cares on defense -- and he's more efficient, and it's easier to give him the ball in the clutch than Boogie.
KAT
Boogie
Marc

That's my top 3, Davis is someone I put on the PF list even though he splits time pretty evenly at PF/C

Boogs31

Blake is a top 10 player, but these random injuries are hurting his value.

Absolutely no way Blake Griffin is a top 10 player. He's not even the best player on his own team. The Clippers with Paul and no Griffin have been just as effective. The only time in his career he was even in that discussion was two years ago when he had that great series against San Antonio. He hasn't shown that level of athleticism since. He also doesn't contribute at all in the 4th quarter and is a slightly above average defensive player at best.

Here are my top 15. Blake is not better than any of these guys and is probably in the 16-20 range.

1) LeBron
2) Kawhi
3) KD
4) Harden
5) Curry
6) Westbrook
7) Wall
8) CP3
9) PG13
10) Butler
11) Giannis
12) Marc Gasol
13) Draymond Green
14) Klay Thompson
15) Boogie

Also to the people putting Irving in the top 10, that's just as bad.

Tall4Life

Absolutely no way Blake Griffin is a top 10 player. He's not even the best player on his own team. The Clippers with Paul and no Griffin have been just as effective. The only time in his career he was even in that discussion was two years ago when he had that great series against San Antonio. He hasn't shown that level of athleticism since. He also doesn't contribute at all in the 4th quarter and is a slightly above average defensive player at best.

Here are my top 15. Blake is not better than any of these guys and is probably in the 16-20 range.

1) LeBron
2) Kawhi
3) KD
4) Harden
5) Curry
6) Westbrook
7) Wall
8) CP3
9) PG13
10) Butler
11) Giannis
12) Marc Gasol
13) Draymond Green
14) Klay Thompson
15) Boogie

Curry should be higher.

HiResDes

I'd rather have a healthy Blake over Boogie honestly on any squad. Most certainly Giannis he's younger with more upside considering his defensive output.

Drake needs to break things off with gsw and come back to toronto to give them luck <3

Last year he was number 1 up until his injury. This year he hasn't been quite as dominant offensively and while he's above average defensively, he's not elite on that end.

Fair enough, I'd still take Curry over Harden though.

Boogs31

Damn no Raptor in the top 15?

IMO Lowry is in the 16-20 range. His playoff performances were he's been less aggressive and afraid to get his shot blocked inside have dropped his ranking. Derozan is more in the 25-30 range. His ineffectiveness off the ball combined with his lackluster defense and passing skills really have hurt Toronto against the Bucks. He is top 10 in terms of iso and pnr scoring.

LionPride

Banned
Top 20:
LeBron
KD
Curry
Kawhi
Harden
Westbrook
Davis
Boogie
Wall
KAT
Irving
PG13
Giannis
Butler
Derozan
Marc
Gobert
CP3
Klay
Millsap

Top 10:

1. Al Hortford
2. Al Hortford
3. Al Hortford
4. Al Hortford
5. Al Hortford
6. Al Hortford
7. Al Hortford
8. Al Hortford
9. Al Hortford
10. James Young

Boogs31

Fair enough, I'd still take Curry over Harden though.

That's a close call. I personally think that Harden's been slightly better this year. Curry has a better supporting cast even without Durant which is why he'll probably always get the better of Harden in the postseason. But if they both had equal supporting casts, I believe Harden would come out on top.

Uhh, crap. What the hell did Beverley say to a fan after the game?

Was it the same fan he got into a verbal altercation with during the game?
because they had to pull him away from that too.

He better hope that doesn't lead to a suspension or something....

edit: Looks like it was the same fan from earlier in the game, and I'm betting nothing more than maybe a monetary fine comes of it.
the limited clips I could find all look rather tame.

Line_HTX

Was it the same fan he got into a verbal altercation with during the game?
because they had to pull him away from that too.

He better hope that doesn't lead to a suspension or something....

edit: Looks like it was the same fan from earlier in the game, and I'm betting nothing more than maybe a monetary fine comes of it.
the limited clips I could find all look rather tame.

I was away and didn't see the game. All I know is the Rockets requested a review apparently.

Lebron, Durant, Curry, Harden, Kawhi. I think the rest is much harder to position. Although I put Kawhi at 5, he would always be my first choice in a series against Lebron.

Toronto fading that purple back to red. Looks like they actually showed up to start this game.

Anyone know if they came out to more Barney music today?

Ronin Ray

1) LeBron
2) Kawhi
3) KD
4) Harden
5) Curry
6) Westbrook
7) Wall
8) CP3
9) PG13
10) Butler
11) Giannis
12) Marc Gasol
13) Draymond Green
14) Klay Thompson
15) Boogie

I am either crazy or you forgot AD . He's better then 7-15 on your list

Slizeezyc

That's two seasons. If he misses next year? We'll question him. Boogie has missed for seven years!

Yep. If KAT continues to be Boogie-like on defense after the grace period ends, that will be another strike as well.

There's no real justification to push for Cousins at this point. He's not someone you can build a team around due to his style of play and how he acts. He's got to be back in full prove-it mode.

Again, a center in today's NBA has too much responsibility to not be good on the defensive end (probably elite) in order to be a top 10 player. It's just the way it is. Your center runs your defense in most schemes now and he will always derive a majority of his value from that end.

Ray_Allen8.jpg

Imagine 2001 Ray Allen on this modern bucks team.

Slizeezyc

Stop running side pick and roll you dolts, you're letting the Bucks trap you there. Middle pick and roll so you have more room, and stop these Delon Wright/Corey Joseph minutes where they're handling against the trap so defenders can just go under.

Come on Casey. He's at least cut Jonas' minutes.

Marz

Idgaf if you haven't been in the playoffs doing your thing when defenses tighten up and play gets more physical then your not in the conversation for top 10.

Say what you want about Kyrie but dood is going up against a 73 win team with an elite defense hitting dagger 3s and dropping 40 on the biggest stage.

Cousins can put up regular season numbers all he wants with inflated stats losing games by at least 15 every night who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom