• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

Smokey

Dark FaZe said:
The hype is getting to me. I just know that we're all about to get scammed...

I don't think they can or will have a repeat of what happened last year.

360 List said:
name: Smokey
name: DCX
name: LukeSmith
name: Birdman02
name: ecnal
name: Charsace
name: DY_nasty
name: makaveli13
name: konex
name: Dark FaZe
name: Nightz
name: Baby Milo
name: CB3
name: FMT
name: Sanjuro Tsubaki
name: DMczaf
name: LiveWire
name: anachronous_one
name: kai
name: mrbob
name: Vestal
name: snack
name: truelize
name: pheeniks
name: daw
name: AtlusAram
name: fivering
name: HEY LOW 2
name: Shurs

There is ONE spot left for the 360 league.

SamuraiX- said:
I think I might join. Are you guys only taking regulars? I've never played in an online NBA league either.
no, all are welcome. this will be the first successful 2k League on the ps3.
so you in? only a measly $20 buy-in.

makaveli13

Neo Member
Smokey said:
Pilon was in the 360 league last year and is also in Austraila I believe and he was very reliable. I think he may not have played 1 or 2 games out of our 30+ game schedule. So it can work...it's just kind of up to you.
Thanks for the reply smokey, I should be able to work my schedule around that 7 day limit, looking forward to it :)

SamuraiX-

viakado said:
no, all are welcome. this will be the first successful 2k League on the ps3.
so you in? only a measly $20 buy-in.

Did you type out the rules anywhere? If not, could you give me a brief outline of the how exactly everything works? I'm completely new to this. :-/

pilonv1

Smokey said:
is usually a week to get all of your games in. In league play you view 5 games at a time on your schedule. So when we start the league you'll see the first 5 games on your schedule as 'Round 1'. Within the 7 day limit all 5 of those games are to be played, or the commish will sim them. Once the deadline hits we advance to the next set of games.

Pilon was in the 360 league last year and is also in Austraila I believe and he was very reliable. I think he may not have played 1 or 2 games out of our 30+ game schedule. So it can work...it's just kind of up to you.

I think I played everyone but Konex, who showed up a round late looking to play our game, and Zep or someone as I got stuck at work.

Keep in mind that it really sucks if you're working or studying full time, because you cant play during their prime time. I was lucky that I had a bunch of time off and played some games on Sat/Sun afternoons. But if you're playing someone who isn't around on a US Friday or Sat night Also the lag can be pretty bad. Otherwise it's awesome fun.

If you're desperate for a league but not sure about playing USA peeps I can point you to one I'm in with a great bunch of local guys.

SamuraiX- said:
Did you type out the rules anywhere? If not, could you give me a brief outline of the how exactly everything works? I'm completely new to this. :-/
30 games plus best of 7 playoff series.
the regular season games will be divided into 6 weeks. Each week will have 5 games for you to play. Also each week is about 7 days. you can play anyone of your 5 opponents within that 7 days. this is called flex schedules. if you wish you can knock out all your games in one day, or spread them out throughout the week.

Rules:
points in the paint:
either it will hardcapped at 50pts +10pts for any overtime play. Or it will be dynamic. For example, points in the paint will not exceed more than 50% of your total points. hasn't been ironed out yet.

trading rules:

at this point there are no restrictions to any trading rules of yet.

scoring average cap:
im leaning towards capping an average for any player rated above 90. Maybe 25ppg.
this doesn't mean you can't score 50pts in a single game, it just means you can't be scoring 50pts every game with the same player. this will limit isomotion abuse and promotes team play and passing

Man on defense
you must guard the ballhandler at all times. If you are playing any type of zone, you must be the defender closest to the ball handler.

types of defense
any kind of defense is allowed, except for full court press. im also thinking an exception of last two minutes of the game.

those are the ones i can think of. i will be doing a lot of testing before league starts.
as to make it fair and handicapped for everyone.

also, DiddyBop will be co-commish.

SamuraiX-

viakado said:
30 games plus best of 7 playoff series.
the regular season games will be divided into 6 weeks. Each week will have 5 games for you to play. Also each week is about 7 days. you can play anyone of your 5 opponents within that 7 days. this is called flex schedules. if you wish you can knock out all your games in one day, or spread them out throughout the week.

Rules:
points in the paint:
either it will hardcapped at 50pts +10pts for any overtime play. Or it will be dynamic. For example, points in the paint will not exceed more than 50% of your total points. hasn't been ironed out yet.

trading rules:

at this point there are no restrictions to any trading rules of yet.

scoring average cap:
im leaning towards capping an average for any player rated above 90. Maybe 25ppg.
this doesn't mean you can't score 50pts in a single game, it just means you can't be scoring 50pts every game with the same player. this will limit isomotion abuse and promotes team play and passing

Man on defense
you must guard the ballhandler at all times. If you are playing any type of zone, you must be the defender closest to the ball handler.

types of defense
any kind of defense is allowed, except for full court press. im also thinking an exception of last two minutes of the game.

those are the ones i can think of. i will be doing a lot of testing before league starts.
as to make it fair and handicapped for everyone.

also, DiddyBop will be co-commish.

Nice. Thanks for all that. Few questions:

1) With things like points in the paint, how can we regulate that? Because I commonly don't check until the end of the game.
2) Like you said, I can play all my 5 weekly games in one day if I wanted to. However, that's only if I can get my opponents to schedule on the same day, right?
3) When you guys plan to start everything up? I preordered on Amazon and they said I'd be receiving the game like on the 22nd or something.

Smokey

reaver18 said:
Is that spot still open for the 360 league? I'd like to join.

Yessir. You are the last and final member.

UPDATED 360 LIST

1. Smokey
2. DCX
3. LukeSmith
4. Birdman02
5. ecnal
6. Charsace
7. DY_nasty
8. aznpxdd
9. konex
10. Dark FaZe
11. Nightz
12. Baby Milo
13. CB3
14. FMT
15. Sanjuro Tsubaki
16. DMczaf
17. LiveWire
18. anachronous_one
19. kai
20. mrbob
21. Vestal
22. snack
23. truelize
24. pheeniks
25. daw
26. AtlusAram
27. fivering
28. HEY LOW 2
29. Shurs
30. reaver18

SamuraiX- said:

1) With things like points in the paint, how can we regulate that? Because I commonly don't check until the end of the game.
2) Like you said, I can play all my 5 weekly games in one day if I wanted to. However, that's only if I can get my opponents to schedule on the same day, right?
3) When you guys plan to start everything up? I preordered on Amazon and they said I'd be receiving the game like on the 22nd or something.

1.) If you feel you're getting close to the limit it doesn't hurt to pause the game and check. Just wait until you have possession obviously. Also we can check the stats from the league website to verify points in the paint.

2.)Yes.

ecnal

SamuraiX- said:

1) you can just pause @ the half or at the end of quarters and check under team stats, or you can have a computer/laptop nearby and check on the league's website as the game is streaming--it'll show a live boxscore with pip, shooting %'s, etc.

2) yes

edit: too late :lol

SamuraiX- said:

1: most common way to find out where you stand in pip is by pausing the game. usually players pause the game during a time out. or, you can log on to the 2k league site and your game will have real time stats as you play. that includes play-by-stats and points in the paint stat.

2: yes correct, if only all your 5 opponents are available that same day. but if you post in the league thread what youre availability is, people will respond back with their schedules.
its all about communcation. thats why also i created the irc chat for more options on communicating with your opponents.

3:league will start no more than 2 weeks after launch (Oct. 5th)

pilonv1

Letting people pause after half time sucks, because they'll look and see they have a bunch of PIP "to spare" and take it inside more.

SamuraiX-

Nice, thanks for all the info guys. I really want to join, but I'm worried now that you said you'll start no later than October 19th. Amazon estimates my copy will arrive by the 25th, but sometimes they do arrive sooner than expected.

I don't want to hold you guys up, so I guess I'll just wait it out and grab a spot if there are any left open when my copy arrives.

Purexed

Banned
viakado said:
yes, please do that. i would like to see this infographic.
i think having a feedback system will help participants be self-aware of any exploitations they may be doing. or any praises for that matter.

Didn't want to spend a ton of time on it, but the below image gives you a feel for things. After every couple weeks, I think it'd be a good idea to post the feedback rankings. Perhaps allocate a small portion of the pot ($40?) to the individual that tops the feedback rankings.

mockfeedbackform.png

pilonv1

viakado said:
this is the number one reason im a proponent of dynamic pip.

The best is a % of total (50% is fine). It forces people to score in different ways, and you can't keep it in "reserve" as easily.

Purexed said:
Didn't want to spend a ton of time on it, but the below image gives you a feel for things. After every couple weeks, I think it'd be a good idea to post the feedback rankings. Perhaps allocate a small portion of the pot ($40?) to the individual that tops the feedback rankings.

mockfeedbackform.png
im loving this feedback system more and more.
another fine idea purexed. allocating a % to the player with the highest feedback rating.

pilonv1 said:
The best is a % of total (50% is fine). It forces people to score in different ways, and you can't keep it in "reserve" as easily.
will do some league testing with diddy. between 40-50% should be the magic number.

pilonv1

I play in another league with 50% and it's pretty much spot on. I think they also take out Fast Break Points and Points off Turnovers too but it depends on how involved you want to get.

SamuraiX- said:
Nice, thanks for all the info guys. I really want to join, but I'm worried now that you said you'll start no later than October 19th. Amazon estimates my copy will arrive by the 25th, but sometimes they do arrive sooner than expected.

I don't want to hold you guys up, so I guess I'll just wait it out and grab a spot if there are any left open when my copy arrives.
i'll add you to a spot. whats a few more days of practices and scrimmages?
congrats, you are #16 on the list!

PS3 LEAGUE IS OFFICIAL GENTS. :D
current pot stands at $370 US

.....assuming pheeniks doesn't bail us for the 360 league. do you hate money pheeniks?

makaveli13

Neo Member
pilonv1 said:
If you're desperate for a league but not sure about playing USA peeps I can point you to one I'm in with a great bunch of local guys.

Hey mate, thanks for the advice. Would you be able to PM me the details for the local league?

Smokey would you be able to remove me from the 360 league so someone can take my spot? I'd probably be selfish if I left myself on it as I can't guarantee how many games I would be able to play with USGaf. Sorry bout changing my mind.

SamuraiX-

viakado said:
i'll add you to a spot. whats a few more days of practices and scrimmages?
congrats, you are #16 on the list!

PS3 LEAGUE IS OFFICIAL GENTS. :D
current pot stands at $370 US

.....assuming pheeniks doesn't bail us for the 360 league. do you hate money pheeniks?

Alright, cool. Thanks! :D

One more question. How is it gonna work when we choose which teams we want to play with? Is anybody given precedence over everybody else? Do we spin a wheel? Roll a dice? Go in order down the signup list? Or is it just first come, first serve?

Smokey

makaveli13 said:
Hey mate, thanks for the advice. Would you be able to PM me the details for the local league?

Smokey would you be able to remove me from the 360 league so someone can take my spot? I'd probably be selfish if I left myself on it as I can't guarantee how many games I would be able to play with USGaf. Sorry bout changing my mind.

No problem. Better now then in the middle of the season!

So there is still one spot left open on 360 league

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
viakado said:
jobber, you're now part of the ps3 league.
smokey says you're out 360 league.
if you're willing, you're #16, and $20 in.

first off... WAT? I was in GAF 2K leagues before hazy boy even registered here so how the hell did I get the boot?

#2 I can't play 2K on a PS3 controller. I tried to in 2K8 and 2K9. The triggers on the 360 controller are easier to press for D and posting up. That's why I end up buying Live for PS3 and 2K on 360. (cause Live didn't have D LOLZ)

This is bullshit.

I'm gonna start my own league. A league where you don't have to pay to play or under the rule of a dictatorship who says who can play and who can't.

Purexed

Banned
jobber said:
first off... WAT? I was in GAF 2K leagues before hazy boy even registered here so how the hell did I get the boot?

#2 I can't play 2K on a PS3 controller. I tried to in 2K8 and 2K9. The triggers on the 360 controller are easier to press for D and posting up. That's why I end up buying Live for PS3 and 2K on 360. (cause Live didn't have D LOLZ)

This is bullshit.

I'm gonna start my own league. A league where you don't have to pay to play or under the rule of a dictatorship who says who can play and who can't.
You kind of dug your own hole on this one. Insulting the dude running the show strikes me as nonsensical...

Smokey

jobber said:

This is bullshit.

Because you act like you're 4 years old. Hazy boy, foggy? You've been takin' swipes at me for years for no reason and when I ask you wtf your problem is you want to ignore the question and you don't answer. So you want to ignore me then I'll ignore you and keep it movin'. If you've got a problem with me grow up and say it otherwise I don't really care how you feel.

Apparently you're still butt hurt over some 2K game from who knows how long ago. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause you to be an ass all this time. In fact I think I'm on your ignore list and don't even know WHY which makes it even better! But you want to play in a league that I'm running?

:lol

Smokey said:
Because you act like you're 4 years old. Hazy boy, foggy? You've been takin' swipes at me for years for no reason and when I ask you wtf your problem is you want to ignore the question and you don't answer. So you want to ignore me then I'll ignore you and keep it movin'. If you've got a problem with me grow up and say it otherwise I don't really care how you feel.

Apparently you're still butt hurt over some 2K game from who knows how long ago. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause you to be an ass all this time. In fact I think I'm on your ignore list and don't even know WHY which makes it even better! But you want to play in a league that I'm running?

:lol

oh, man this is some good shit. the drama has already begun.
15p616w.jpg

I always wanted to take part of an online league... but i´m afraid to commit and then afterwards can´t play all the games. Lot´s of stuff going on at work right now... how do you guys handle drop outs, people with tight schedules?

I´m on PS3 btw, paypal is the method?

I ask this because i´m afraid of saying "yes, i´m in", and then afterwards screwing it up.

DiddyBop

seattle6418 said:
I always wanted to take part of an online league... but i´m afraid to commit and then afterwards can´t play all the games. Lot´s of stuff going on at work right now... how do you guys handle drop outs, people with tight schedules?

I ask this because i´m afraid of saying "yes, i´m in", and then afterwards screwing it up.
Getting the 5 games in is alot easier than you might think so don't worry. After the first week if you don't think you can fully commit m sure you'll be able to get a refund. No harm in signing up and seeing how it goes :D so you in?

seattle6418 said:

2k league has flex scheduling. you can play any one of your opponents that week within a 7 or 10 day span. very flexible on your schedule, tbh. drop outs happen all the time, no biggy.
we should have some kind of reimbursement deadline for people wanting to drop out early.
And yes, paypal is preffered.

btw, pheeniks and aznpxdd are going to the 360 league.

here is the updated ps3 list. back to 14. :/
name: viakado
name: rinse82
name: Purexed
name: DiddyBop
name: pistolpete2940
name: Dmncnby2k9
name: thauoftkidd
name: thomasbk
name: Big Baybee
name: btothekw
name: johnny_park
name: MorisUkunRasik
name: bdizzle
name: SamuraiX

rinse82

RE: PS3 League

So I'm assuming random draft lottery for team selection order?

Can't wait for this shit. Played the Jordan Challenge for the "Flu Game" last night, pure nostalgia, dropped 63 on Hornacek :lol

thauoftkidd

Neo Member
rinse82 said:
RE: PS3 League

So I'm assuming random draft lottery for team selection order?

Can't wait for this shit. Played the Jordan Challenge for the "Flu Game" last night, pure nostalgia, dropped 63 on Hornacek :lol

i think the commissioners are still deciding on the process.

Smokey

NBA2K VETS

1.Smokey - Rockets
2.Ecnal - Magic
3.DCX - Knicks
4.Pheeniks - Heat
5.Birdman - Mavericks
6.charsAce - Jazz
7.CB3 - Lakers
8.Nightz - Hornets
9.Daw - Nuggets
10.Mrbob - Thunder
11.Dmczaf - Bulls
12.FiveRing (Blazers?)
13.Konex - Celtics
14.anachronous_one -
15.Dark Faze -
16.HEY LOW 2 -
17.aznpxdd -
18.FMT -
19.Truelize -

Rookies that have played in other GAF leagues

20.LukeSmith
21.LiveWire
22.sanjuro Tsubaki

True Rookies

23.DY_nasty
24.Baby Milo
25.Kai
26.Vestal
27.Snack
28.AtlusAram
29.Shurs
30.Reaver18

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Smokey said:
NBA2K VETS

1.Smokey - Rockets
2.Ecnal - Magic
3.DCX - Knicks
4.Pheeniks - Heat
5.Birdman - Mavericks
6.charsAce - Jazz
7.CB3 - Lakers
8.Nightz - Hornets
9.Daw - Nuggets
10.Mrbob - Thunder
11.Dmczaf - Bulls
12.FiveRing (Blazers?)
13.Konex - Celtics
14.anachronous_one - Hawks
15.Dark Faze -
16.HEY LOW 2 -
17.aznpxdd -
18.FMT -
19.Truelize -

20.LukeSmith
21.LiveWire
22.sanjuro Tsubaki

True Rookies

23.DY_nasty
24.Baby Milo
25.Kai
26.Vestal
27.Snack
28.AtlusAram
29.Shurs
30.Reaver18

Hawks, plz.

Smokey

Cloudy said:
How come I called Lakers when I posted (before CB3) but didn't get them? :\

Because CB has been more reliable when it comes to being active and playing games in the past.

update said:
NBA2K VETS

1.Smokey - Rockets
2.Ecnal - Magic
3.DCX - Knicks
4.Pheeniks - Heat
5.Birdman - Mavericks
6.charsAce - Jazz
7.CB3 - Lakers
8.Nightz - Hornets
9.Daw - Nuggets
10.Mrbob - Thunder
11.Dmczaf - Bulls
12.FiveRing (Blazers?)
13.Konex - Celtics
14.anachronous_one - Hawks
15.Dark Faze - Wizards
16.HEY LOW 2 -
17.aznpxdd -
18.FMT -
19.Truelize -

20.LukeSmith
21.LiveWire
22.sanjuro Tsubaki

True Rookies

23.DY_nasty
24.Baby Milo
25.Kai
26.Vestal
27.Snack
28.AtlusAram
29.Shurs
30.Reaver18

HEYYYYY LOW

Smokey said:
NBA2K VETS

1.Smokey - Rockets

2.Ecnal - Magic
3.DCX - Knicks
4.Pheeniks - Heat
5.Birdman - Mavericks
6.charsAce - Jazz
7.CB3 - Lakers
8.Nightz - Hornets
9.Daw - Nuggets
10.Mrbob - Thunder
11.Dmczaf - Bulls
12.FiveRing (Blazers?)
13.Konex - Celtics
14.anachronous_one -
15.Dark Faze -
16.HEY LOW 2 -
17.aznpxdd -
18.FMT -
19.Truelize -

20.LukeSmith
21.LiveWire
22.sanjuro Tsubaki

True Rookies

23.DY_nasty
24.Baby Milo
25.Kai
26.Vestal
27.Snack
28.AtlusAram
29.Shurs
30.Reaver18
im utterly shocked the commish gets first pick.
shocked!
SamuraiX- said:
Sorry, viak. I had one more question. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23555271&postcount=328

The above poster says you guys are still deciding, but how do you expect it to work out?
we can try the system i implemented last year where returning players (vets)gets first dibs. In this case, its just me diddy and purexed.
after the vets pick, i will go down the list of who signed up first and ask each player who they want. after all teams are chosen, each rookie is given one challenge to challenge any opponent they want for that team. if challenger loses, he loses his spot and goes back in the line. if incumbent loses, he has the option to pick an unassigned team or challenge any other opponent that has not been challenged yet.
one team can only be challenged once.
a player can only be challenged once.
first come first serve when it comes to challenging.
i really want players to fight for the team they want.
we have roughly two weeks from launch to league start. so its more than enough time for all these potential games.

...that or we can do a lottery pick.
I'm assigning diddy to be Team Assignment Czar. i'll leave him to the details and rules.
if you have any questions, defer to him.

Kai

Spurs - They are not taken yet.... and I am challenging for the Lakers. (Also - is it not possible to select historical teams? Why not? If so - I want 96 Bulls).

Purexed

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Sorry, viak. I had one more question. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23555271&postcount=328

The above poster says you guys are still deciding, but how do you expect it to work out?
My suggestion would be to do a random lottery to pick teams via a web based sorting list. The concept of vets probably shouldn't apply since we have so many newbies. Outside of me, Kado, and Diddy, is everyone else new?

EDIT - Just saw Kado's post, that'll work!

Kai

If I understand this right - we are playing for a pool of money too now right? If so - get out of here with this vets bullshit - everyone should have a random selection/draft if there is money involved.

Top Bottom