• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

ecnal said:
stockton/malone jazz vs current rockets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-GRnKkn3A&feature=player_embedded

the guy sucks pretty bad too; he keeps trying to perform the 2k10/2k9 lead-pass exploit and turns the ball over a lot -_-

it basically confirms that 2K has almost entirely eliminated lead passing.

the guy has some other vids too

wow i love how the gameplay looks. and this is on PRO? from everything i've seen if 2k can get the online part right this is going to be a really good game.

on a somewhat related notes, when i see shit like this (comments from youtube):

tight video, but still a little upset that 2k11 still has generic shoes

it makes me fucking hate casual gamers. "bu bu the shoes!" "bu bu the color of the 4th alternate jerseys for the dolphins is off!" "bu bu why not additional headband options"

jesus christ dude who fucking CARES

Purexed

Banned
Not a fan of capping points for individual players. From playing the demo, I think there's enough tools to punish guys that try and play Kobe ball.

The last thing I want is having an encyclopedia of rules that give complainers an out to cite a clause to get a loss overturned. Let's get a good sim group together and let's get after it using common sense!

Smokey

ecnal said:

alright fuck it, i'm all in

AtlusAram said:
Smokey, too late to join the 360 league? I'll take any team...

Not at all. Still deciding on how teams will be picked, but I'll put ya down.

Gravijah said:
I'm just teasing, guys. :lol I only ever got into Basketball within the past few years and I'm more of a fan of players than teams. I'll probably be using the Thunder since I've had a man crush on KD since college.

Did you want in on 360? Not doing team calls yet, but if you want in I'll put you down.

pilonv1

ecnal said:
interesting options too:

real player % might be good for those who want to run their association as sim as possible.

second thought too, using real player % could eliminate a lot of potential cheese, but it might be too frustrating for some people when wide open shots don't fall...

Are they even available for online though? Real FT % has been an option for years, but not for online.

The last thing I want is having an encyclopedia of rules that give complainers an out to cite a clause to get a loss overturned. Let's get a good sim group together and let's get after it using common sense!

You need to have some ground rules otherwise you get people constantly leaking for fast breaks, playing nothing but off ball defense, driving baseline constantly or scoring all their points in the paint.

DiddyBop

viakado said:
i love that Real % idea. i will definitely turn that feature on for league play.
also, ps3 participants, as another deterrent for cheesing/exploiting, how do you guys feel about capping individual player points per game?
it limits cheesing/exploitations/isomotion use and promotes team play, passing.
of course there would be exceptions on the bottom barrel teams.
my thought process is i want to handicap the league so that abuse/cheesing is limited and everyone has a relatively equal shot on winning the grand prize pot.

im just thinking out loud here, so any thoughts and feedbacks are much appreciated.
I think real shot% should be for association only if you want to keep everything as realistic as possible. In an online league those who take the time to learn their players releases and run plays shouldnt feel like all that effort is wasted since it won't matter as much if real% is on.

As for the cap on star players we might not even need it as most people don't really cheese like that in the league ( besides that Beasley dude :lol ). And what if you're in a tight game in the fourth and your star player is already capped out and having him shoot the ball gives you the best chance to win? If there MUST be a cap it should be limited to players rated 90 and above overall or something. But overall I'd just vote no on the cap, too many variables to consider

charsace

Did they fix iso move into lead pass/alley oop? Doing a dribble move and then passing increased a chance of a lead pass/alley oop being completed. It's why PnR back door alley can work so well.

Smokey

name: Smokey
name: DCX
name: LukeSmith
name: Birdman02
name: ecnal
name: Charsace
name: jobber
name: DY_nasty
name: makaveli13
name: konex
name: Dark FaZe
name: Nightz
name: Baby Milo
name: CB3
name: FMT
name: Sanjuro Tsubaki
name: DMczaf
name: LiveWire
name: anachronous_one
name: kai
name: mrbob
name: Vestal
name: snack
name: truelize
name: pheeniks
name: daw
name: AtlusAram

3 spots left in 360 league

DiddyBop said:
I think real shot% should be for association only if you want to keep everything as realistic as possible. In an online league those who take the time to learn their players releases and run plays shouldnt feel like all that effort is wasted since it won't matter as much if real% is on.

As for the cap on star players we might not even need it as most people don't really cheese like that in the league ( besides that Beasley dude :lol ). And what if you're in a tight game in the fourth and your star player is already capped out and having him shoot the ball gives you the best chance to win? If there MUST be a cap it should be limited to players rated 90 and above overall or something. But overall I'd just vote no on the cap, too many variables to consider
actually thats not a bad idea at all.
here are PPG stats for:
season 08
season 09

only kobe and lebron are above 25ppg. which i was thinking a cap should be for players rated in the 90s

pilonv1

Just make it 50% of total team points or something from one player. If people are playing sim style and spreading it around then they won't have an issue.

Birdman02

DiddyBop said:

Instead of having a cap on each individual game, why not just make the cap on their scoring average? That will leave some room for those types of games.

Birdman02 said:
Instead of having a cap on each individual game, why not just make the cap on their scoring average? That will leave some room for those types of games.
im sorry if i wasn't being clear, but yes this is what i meant. capping scoring average. not how much you can score per game.
i think we still remember michael fucking beasley scoring 80+ points a couple of season ago.
what say you gents?

Shurs

Smokey said:
name: jobber

3 spots left in 360 league

So how does team selection work?

I'd want the T-Wolves. Is anyone else already signed up for the league claiming them?

Shurs

speculawyer said:
Because it probably sucks.

Anyone remember when they came out with their first version of NBA 2Kn for the PS3 . . . they put in some thing where you could do a free-throw by mimicking the action of a free-throw with the Sony 3-Axis motion controller (or what ever that controller was called).

Any one ever talk about the feature again? Anyone use it? Anyone care? Bueller? Bueller? . . .

I loved the SIXAXIS Free Throw system and was disappointed it didn't make it into the following editions.

pilonv1

benjipwns said:
Only the top five or six guys on each Classic Team are "real" the rest are all 50 rated generics.

See: http://thereal2kinsider.blogspot.com/2010/09/nba-2k11-player-ratings-final-w-jordan.html

Will rage if I cant use WILL PERDUE

edit: MOAR RAGE

WARRIORS
84 – Monta Ellis (SG)
83 – David Lee (PF)
80 – Stephen Curry (PG)
69 – Andris Biedrins (C)
68 – Epke Udoh (PF)
67 – Reggie Williams (SF)
66 – Charlie Bell (SG)
64 – Brandan Wright (PF)
64 – Dorell Wright (SF)
62 – Jannero Pargo (PG)
61 – Dan Gadzuric (C)
53 – Vladimir Radmanovic (PF)

WHERE THE FUCK IS JEREMY LIN WE DONT EVEN HAVE PARGO YOU DUMB FUCKS

74 - Sam Perkins (C)

Oh god please let him have a sig shot

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
91 - Gary Payton (PG)
89 - Shawn Kemp (PF)

Shawn Kemp rated less than Karl? pfft...

Real talk is Stockton should be rated high than the Failman..

Blackace

pilonv1 said:
Oh god please let him have a sig shot

If they don't have it I will go all hunter on my 2k10 disk...

I want to use it for my player mode..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No Barkley Suns I see. I'm assuming this is because of separate licensing issues involving Sir Charles? Maybe he wanted to be on the cover alongside MJ. :lol

pilonv1

Blackace said:
If they don't have it I will go all hunter on my 2k10 disk...

I want to use it for my player mode..

Yeah it would be great. Considering they have Pierces set and jump shot I'd be surprised if they didn't have something for him.

Blackace

XiaNaphryz said:
No Barkley Suns I see. I'm assuming this is because of separate licensing issues involving Sir Charles? Maybe he wanted to be on the cover alongside MJ. :lol

Charles' name is still tied up..

Even though they never played, I wish they would have put some more greats in like the Houston championship teams...

daw840

The money in the pot aspect is a little worrisome (I know we aren't planning on doing that for the 360 league, but still.) It encourages sharkwaters type of play. Doing anything to win, be it cheese or exploits. Especially when the pot is hundreds of dollars.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
on a somewhat related notes, when i see shit like this (comments from youtube):

it makes me fucking hate casual gamers. "bu bu the shoes!" "bu bu the color of the 4th alternate jerseys for the dolphins is off!" "bu bu why not additional headband options"

jesus christ dude who fucking CARES

you know what would be cool? if they played this in the arena when someone fouls out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Tiz6INF7I

Purexed

Banned
viakado said:
im sorry if i wasn't being clear, but yes this is what i meant. capping scoring average. not how much you can score per game.
i think we still remember michael fucking beasley scoring 80+ points a couple of season ago.
what say you gents?
I'll ultimately comply with any rules you establish, but let's just make sure the rules are clear without nuance or overcomplication.

One suggestion I have to help keep everyone honest is the requirement of a player feedback form, submitted via PM or email. Things like sportsmanship, on-ball defensive, variety of offensive attack, and cheese factor could be scored on a 1-5 scale. That way, cheesers can be warned, and if they continue, they get removed from the league. Simple as that.

I'm on an iPhone right now, but if you guys like the idea, I can make an infographic describing the feedback system when I get back to my Mac.

Smokey

daw840 said:
The money in the pot aspect is a little worrisome (I know we aren't planning on doing that for the 360 league, but still.) It encourages sharkwaters type of play. Doing anything to win, be it cheese or exploits. Especially when the pot is hundreds of dollars.

Somebody will need their rent to be paid and will DO ANYTHING to win!

Shurs said:
So how does team selection work?

I'd want the T-Wolves. Is anyone else already signed up for the league claiming them?

What will happen is vets that have been around in the leagues will get to go first. Most guys who are fans of their real teams will of course pick them in the league. Then after the vets have claimed their squad, the rookies will get to pick.

name: fivering
name: HEY LOW 2
name: Shurs

Shurs

Smokey said:
Somebody will need their rent to be paid and will DO ANYTHING to win!

What will happen is vets that have been around in the leagues will get to go first. Most guys who are fans of their real teams will of course pick them in the league. Then after the vets have claimed their squad, the rookies will get to pick.

How do you determine the rookie pick order? Post count?

As I like one of the worst teams in the league, I hope I can get them , but I'd like to know if any vets are taking the T-Wolves before I dedicate myself to the league.

DCX

DCX
Shurs said:

As I like one of the worst teams in the league, I hope I can get them , but I'd like to know if any vets are taking the T-Wolves before I dedicate myself to the league.
prolly not :lol

DCX

ecnal

Shurs said:

i think you'll be safe getting the wolves. i wouldn't worry about it.

PS, whoever gets the kings, we need to talk. :D

DiddyBop

I think strict rules for PIP and on ball D should take priority over capping point averages, but if it did happen What cap were you thinking of? 27-29 ppt for players rated 90 and above?

As for the pot, maybe it should be 10 dollar buy in as we'll prolly run two seasons this year right? Somethin like ten bucks each season

DiddyBop said:
I think strict rules for PIP and on ball D should take priority over capping point averages, but if it did happen What cap were you thinking of? 27-29 ppt for players rated 90 and above?

As for the pot, maybe it should be 10 dollar buy in as we'll prolly run two seasons this year right? Somethin like ten bucks each season

I would still like to get an understanding of what the definition of what is against the rules concerning off ball D. Obviously controlling a center 100% of the time is frowned upon but personally I don't see what is wrong with playing off ball D from time to time defensively.

Smokey

^^^Rules and guidelines will be laid out sometime this week. Manual D always gets brought up every year!

Here's how teams will be picked for 360 league:

Vets who have been in NBA2K leagues in the past will pick first. After they finish picking their teams, the "rookies" who have not played in the 2K league but have participated in other GAF sports leagues will select their teams. The true rookies who haven't played in either a NBA2K league or any other GAF sports league will pick last.

Shurs

Smokey said:
Here's how teams will be picked for 360 league:

Vets who have been in NBA2K leagues in the past will pick first. After they finish picking their teams, the "rookies" who have not played in the 2K league but have participated in other GAF sports leagues will select their teams. The true rookies who have played in either a NBA2K league or any other GAF sports league will pick last.

When do the Vets start picking?

ecnal

Dark FaZe said:
I would still like to get an understanding of what the definition of what is against the rules concerning off ball D. Obviously controlling a center 100% of the time is frowned upon but personally I don't see what is wrong with playing off ball D from time to time defensively.

man-to-man when possible--aka the vast majority of the time.

it's fine to switch to off-ball defenders when you want to interrupt plays--like to recover a CPU defender caught on a screen--or stop really predictable passing by manually fronting a post player or something.

common sense stuff. there are definitely some people that abuse this though, and try to play off-ball as much as possible (aka always playing some off ball defender when a play happens), when, in general, on-ball d should be played the overwhelming majority of time.

the point of the league is to play versus another user, not to play against a CPU defender while an opponent runs around all day long off the ball. i remember you were the magic last season, and i thought you played defense well--good mix of off-ball and on-ball d.

ecnal

pilonv1 said:
WHERE THE FUCK IS JEREMY LIN WE DONT EVEN HAVE PARGO YOU DUMB FUCKS

rosters had to close on 8/20, i'm pretty sure he'll be added when the first roster update happens.

Smokey

Shurs said:
When do the Vets start picking?

I'm in the process of contacting them now. I'm only waiting on a few more people. Once they're finished I'll post the teams along with the user so the next group knows who is already taken.

pilonv1

ecnal said:
rosters had to close on 8/20, i'm pretty sure he'll be added when the first roster update happens.

Yeah I realised that later. But it's strange because they never signed Pargo.

Also this means Lin won't have a proper photo :(

unomas

Banned
Haven't picked up an NBA game in years......but with all the old favorites I'm tempted. The game looks so smooth.

jobber, you're now part of the ps3 league.
smokey says you're out 360 league.
if you're willing, you're #16, and $20 in.

Purexed said:
I'll ultimately comply with any rules you establish, but let's just make sure the rules are clear without nuance or overcomplication.

One suggestion I have to help keep everyone honest is the requirement of a player feedback form, submitted via PM or email. Things like sportsmanship, on-ball defensive, variety of offensive attack, and cheese factor could be scored on a 1-5 scale. That way, cheesers can be warned, and if they continue, they get removed from the league. Simple as that.

I'm on an iPhone right now, but if you guys like the idea, I can make an infographic describing the feedback system when I get back to my Mac
yes, please do that. i would like to see this infographic.
i think having a feedback system will help participants be self-aware of any exploitations they may be doing. or any praises for that matter.

makaveli13

Neo Member
I have a noobish question. how often are league games played? I am concerned that being from Australia I might be holding up the league if games are played every day or so. if being in a different timezone will cause you issues please feel fee to take my name off the 360 list.

Smokey

makaveli13 said:
I have a noobish question. how often are league games played? I am concerned that being from Australia I might be holding up the league if games are played every day or so. if being in a different timezone will cause you issues please feel fee to take my name off the 360 list.

There is usually a week to get all of your games in. In league play you view 5 games at a time on your schedule. So when we start the league you'll see the first 5 games on your schedule as 'Round 1'. Within the 7 day limit all 5 of those games are to be played, or the commish will sim them. Once the deadline hits we advance to the next set of games.

Pilon was in the 360 league last year and is also in Austraila I believe and he was very reliable. I think he may not have played 1 or 2 games out of our 30+ game schedule. So it can work...it's just kind of up to you.

Top Bottom