• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K13 |OT| Because Live is Dead

mbmonk

oh god 2K

PCDD apparently delayed AGAIN to the 30th.

In general, I don't mind a company using price to direct users to the method of distribution the company prefer, but delaying the release instead based strictly on digital vs physical is very frustrating as a consumer.

I updated the OP with the 30th as the digital release date for PC. If it does release tomorrow some either post here or PM me and I will update the OP again.

benjipwns

Banned
Gamefly is now listing the 30th as well.

I have no idea why they delayed the DD once, let alone twice. Physical isn't exactly easier to find (especially outside the US), hell Amazon is already out of stock. It makes more sense to go digital-only over physical-only.

The game will have been out nearly a month when it goes up on Steam and places vs. the "free" DD version that's been out since release.

mbmonk

i love 2k games but I always suck so bad, I can barely win on All-Star, if I went on online I would get destroyed. how do you guys get good? Are you trying to run plays every time down the court, or do you usually just pass around and try to set some picks, etc? also on D, do you change players every time the ball gets passed?

I haven't ignored your post, it's just you are probably just as good as a player as I am, if not better. I will attempt to give some advice.

Online D, I usually controller the defender that is guarding the worst offensive player on the opponents team. Especially the ones who can't shoot outside. It allows you to safely sag off and protect the paint. I will switch off to another defender if he is intentionally attacking me as a manual defender, but at least at that point he is shooting with his worst offensive player so that is a plus for me.

Online offense I usually look for a fast break or easy basket first and then run a play of some sort if that doesn't happen. You are going to run across zone defense online ( mostly 1-3-1 and 2-3 ) so you will need to eventually have a plan to attack those with your team/players.

The advice is worth what you paid for it. Hopefully some better players will chime in and help you out.

Babalu.

So what signature skills should I have for my player?

I am a 7'1 athletic center playing more as a defensive center working in the post.

Its all about defense for me even though i'm averaging like 20 points off of easy put backs/dunks/working the post.

This is what i've got right now:

scrapper: for boxing out/rebounding
post proficiency: for dominating the post
brick wall: settings screens all day
posterizer: not sure if it helps or not

The ones i'm looking at are:

lockdown defender: does it really help a lot? I dont play online much. how does it activate? against my man or do I have to be touching him?

eraser:love blocking and average 2 a game but it seems to only help for 15 seconds...is that really all it does it give a stat boost for 15 seconds after a block? does it help blocking or anything?

bruiser:seems good since i'm always on the post on O or D. does it help much?

hustle points: this seems like it could help since i'm averaging like 3-4 offensive boards a game. I can usually throw em down after but a boost might be good?

defensive anchor: does it really help the team much? is it worth it to help the team rather then me with other skills?

Any insight is appreciated.

Wrayfield

I am a 7'1 athletic center playing more as a defensive center working in the post.

Its all about defense for me even though i'm averaging like 20 points off of easy put backs/dunks/working the post.

lockdown defender: does it really help a lot? I dont play online much. how does it activate? against my man or do I have to be touching him?

eraser:love blocking and average 2 a game but it seems to only help for 15 seconds...is that really all it does it give a stat boost for 15 seconds after a block? does it help blocking or anything?

hustle points: this seems like it could help since i'm averaging like 3-4 offensive boards a game. I can usually throw em down after but a boost might be good?

defensive anchor: does it really help the team much? is it worth it to help the team rather then me with other skills?

Dude, my PG averages 2 per game :). I am only 15 games into my rookie season so no signature skills for me yet... Won't be abte to make up my mind easily.

Misterhbk

Posterizer helps! BG and Stat are beast and Posterizer is a big part of that

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just started playing this with my brother in law. We'd like to do a Season mode together on a single team.

-Are there any recommended settings? Especially anything good for inexperienced players. In terms of sliders, difficulty, quarter length, etc. 5m seems a bit short though the default difficulty is giving us a good challenge (likely because we suck).

-Is there any way to switch players other than the A button? It says it's supposed to switch you to nearest player but it seems to just cycle through the team. Any way to get around this so that co-op works well?

Really enjoying the game; any other tips appreciated.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Just started playing this with my brother in law. We'd like to do a Season mode together on a single team.

-Are there any recommended settings? Especially anything good for inexperienced players. In terms of sliders, difficulty, quarter length, etc. 5m seems a bit short though the default difficulty is giving us a good challenge (likely because we suck).

-Is there any way to switch players other than the A button? It says it's supposed to switch you to nearest player but it seems to just cycle through the team. Any way to get around this so that co-op works well?

Really enjoying the game; any other tips appreciated.

Check out Operations Sports 2k forum for some slider suggestions. Most of what is there is to make the game play as realistic as possible, but I'm sure you will find some info that will help you tweak it to your liking.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do people use the shot stick at all? Just trying to learn the controls I'd almost rather they just didn't mention it at all. Confusing as hell though I know it's just an option :p. I do quite like the dribble stick otoh.

mbmonk

I was playing an online quick match and my opponent was pimp slapping me with the Knicks. I just kept making adjustment, after adjustment, until finally I found an answer. I was down 13 at the start of the 4th and came back to win. I outscored him 24 - 6 in the final quarter.

The opponent was running his offense through Carmello.
1st quarter - I just played default defense with my best defender on Carmello.
2nd quarter - I would manually call for double teams.
3rd quarter - I assigned Carmello's defender to play tight on ball defense to take away jumpers, and had the rest the my team double Carmello "on the driver". So when Carmello blew past the pressuring defender there would be someone there to pick him up.
4th quarter - I gave up on man to man defense and I switched a 1-3-1 zone. This worked.

Do people use the shot stick at all? Just trying to learn the controls I'd almost rather they just didn't mention it at all. Confusing as hell though I know it's just an option :p. I do quite like the dribble stick otoh.

I do not use the shot stick personally. I just find the buttons to be easier to learn. Although there are a couple moves you can only do with the shot stick and you can adjust your shot while you are in the act of shooting with the stick. So using only the buttons, I miss out on a bit.

If you aren't planning to dedicate yourself to become a NBA 2K elite player and are just playing for fun then I would say the buttons are fine. If your are planning to really dive deep into the game and get the most out of it, then the shot stick might be worth the time you invest to learn it.

New comers to the series have a lot to learn and for some putting off learning the shot stick might help reduce complexity and therefore frustration .

DominoKid

so is 2K gonna address the fact that you pretty much cant block dunks in 2K12?
like...you cant even put a body on a guy.

what the fuck is that shit.

Babalu.

I feel like this is the worst soundtrack in a nba2k game in a long time.

what the fuck is the point of putting in so many songs where half the song is muted and they are all cut up and edited (mercy) to all hell. Is there even one non instrumental song where its not edited/censored?

fuck jayz and kanye. hope they never touch another sports game again.
and fuck the censors. Put a toggle in the options to uncensor the music. Some of us aren't 5 year old pilgrim children, we can handle it.

and fuck autosave.

DominoKid

Try using left stick hold and then pressing y, it works better than a full jump block

good look.

its just annoying as hell to see your opponent REPEATEDLY bulldozing their way through your defense and then dunking on 7 footers w/ no risk.

i can understand Lebron doing it...but Durant aint bulldozing anybody IRL.

good look.

its just annoying as hell to see your opponent REPEATEDLY bulldozing their way through your defense and then dunking on 7 footers w/ no risk.

i can understand Lebron doing it...but Durant aint bulldozing anybody IRL.

yeah the computer does seem to be a little cheese on getting to the rim, but you might wanna check out mbmonk's post (about 3-4 posts up) on how to help with that

And you can always mess with the sliders, people have been posting their version of optimal sliders online that seem to help with that as well as the crazy computer offensive rebounding

mbmonk

I am starting my slow transfer from the Lakers to the Bobcats. When I first started playing with the Bobcats I about gave up on them and the project as a whole. The starting five just doesn't fit my play style. I decided attempt to learn how to play with the top 3 players on the Bobcats and then go on from there. Well to my surprise two of the top three ( K. Walker and B. Gordon ) are on the bench by default.

After looking closer at the roster most of the starters on the Bobcats really should be bench players.

SG - B. Gordon has an elite level mid range jumper ( 92 ) and a deadly 3pter ( 87 ), not to mention his Ball Security is better than the default starting SG Henderson. Henderson has an elite mid range shot (90+) as well, but his ball security and 3pt are fairly low.

PF - The default starting PF, Biyombo, is pretty much trash. T. Thomas, who is on the bench, has the same Sig Skill (Eraser) and a vastly superior offensive game.

C - The default center Haywood is slow and cant' shoot. I sub Mullens in at that spot. Mullens is faster has a much better jumper and seem to do just fine setting picks, dunking, and hitting the boards.

PG - The only spot that is really close is the PG position. Walker vs Sessions is a pretty close match. I just like the skill set of Walker more so than Session so far. After looking at the rating for Kimba and Gilchrest I noticed they both have elite level speed in the game. So pairing them together hopefully allow me to push the ball after misses. So for now he is the starting PG.

I played my first online game with the Bobcats against a guy using OKC. He quit in the 4th quarter :). It was very entertaining....

photo.jpg

I accidentally started M. Carrol, a shooting guard, at the center position :p. I subbed him out, but the opponent wanted to shoot with OKC's Big 3 so badly that he never used Perkins in the post against the SG while Carrol was in. The gentleman I played online was either a poor player or had a bad game.

A major downside to the Bobcats for me is their playbook. A lot of their plays take way too long to develop. I am not a huge fan of the PnR's that they have in their playbook, though they are effective against man defense. I need to see if I can change them during an online quick match.

Riggs

Banned
Can any My Player experts PLEASE tell me what the hell is going on with my contact lay ups?

I cannot make any .... the slighest bump of an opposing player causes the ball to miss 95% of the time.

I am an athletic point guard.

Playstyle in this order is Cutter/Iso/Mid/P&B Handler

Here's the kicker though ....

(These are all maxed)

Layup/99
Shot in traffic/99
Shot mid/close/99
Dunk/99
Strength maxed to 70
Emotion/99
Vertical/99
Signature Moves
Finisher 3/3
Acrobat 3/3
Shot creator 3/3
Dead Eye 3/3
Ankle Breaker 3/3

(Don't ask how I maxed my shit, I paid ... yes I am lame and deserve a beating haha, first time I ever "Paid to win" in a game)

But seriously I can play D. Rose or R. Westbrook which are point guards, and I do the sickest lay ups. Especially with Westbrook I can finish the layup most of the time even with very rough contact.

I compared my stats to Westbrook and Rose, and I am higher then them in everything that has anything to do with lay ups. (And pretty much everything else to be honest)

Now I searched around the net and other scoring type point guards in my player are complaining of the exact same problem with lay ups. The slightest contact and it miss's , kind of ridiculous with how good my stats are. And I definitely know how to play this game so pretty sure it's not a control issue, but it could be ....) just odd since I can do contact lay ups no problem with Rose / Westbrook (Nevermind Durant or Wade, but I left them out since they are not Point Guards.)

My friend is a SG with way lower stats, and he finishes contact lay ups just fine.

Is 2K basically forcing my player Point Guards just to be shooters? Scoring is not a problem I was dropping 40 points per game before I even bought more VC, I could easily do 60+ right now if I wanted to .... it's just boring doing jump shots all day, sometimes I Want to take it to the rim.

Please guys any advice would really be appreciated, sorry for the novel above I just wanted to describe everything I have and have tried. Help me NBA GAF!!!!

CapTN Riggz on Xbox Live btw if anyone wants to add to bullshit / play / or even help with this issue. You guys seem to know your shit.

And please don't get mad at me for buying VC I already feel bad enough lol =/

Can any My Player experts PLEASE tell me what the hell is going on with my contact lay ups?

I cannot make any .... the slighest bump of an opposing player causes the ball to miss 95% of the time.

I am an athletic point guard.

Playstyle in this order is Cutter/Iso/Mid/P&B Handler

Here's the kicker though ....

(These are all maxed)

Layup/99
Shot in traffic/99
Shot mid/close/99
Dunk/99
Strength maxed to 70
Emotion/99
Vertical/99
Signature Moves
Finisher 3/3
Acrobat 3/3
Shot creator 3/3
Dead Eye 3/3
Ankle Breaker 3/3

(Don't ask how I maxed my shit, I paid ... yes I am lame and deserve a beating haha, first time I ever "Paid to win" in a game)

But seriously I can play D. Rose or R. Westbrook which are point guards, and I do the sickest lay ups. Especially with Westbrook I can finish the layup most of the time even with very rough contact.

I compared my stats to Westbrook and Rose, and I am higher then them in everything that has anything to do with lay ups. (And pretty much everything else to be honest)

Now I searched around the net and other scoring type point guards in my player are complaining of the exact same problem with lay ups. The slightest contact and it miss's , kind of ridiculous with how good my stats are. And I definitely know how to play this game so pretty sure it's not a control issue, but it could be ....) just odd since I can do contact lay ups no problem with Rose / Westbrook (Nevermind Durant or Wade, but I left them out since they are not Point Guards.)

My friend is a SG with way lower stats, and he finishes contact lay ups just fine.

Is 2K basically forcing my player Point Guards just to be shooters? Scoring is not a problem I was dropping 40 points per game before I even bought more VC, I could easily do 60+ right now if I wanted to .... it's just boring doing jump shots all day, sometimes I Want to take it to the rim.

Please guys any advice would really be appreciated, sorry for the novel above I just wanted to describe everything I have and have tried. Help me NBA GAF!!!!

CapTN Riggz on Xbox Live btw if anyone wants to add to bullshit / play / or even help with this issue. You guys seem to know your shit.

And please don't get mad at me for buying VC I already feel bad enough lol =/
bring up "contested shot" to above 50.
you'll see noticeable difference around 60+
but real veterans bring it down to anything below 40.
bring down paint collision too.

ps- you're a pussy.,

Riggs

Banned
bring up "contested shot" to above 50.
you'll see noticeable difference around 60+
but real veterans bring it down to anything below 40.
bring down paint collision too.

ps- you're a pussy.,

Shouldn't have to mess with sliders if I can do this with other PG's in the league, considering my stats all rock theirs.

And ya I know :(

Riggs, have you tried messing with your player's signature animations? Specifically their Layup Package?

In the case of the really good players, they either have their own package (D-Rose, Wade, Ginobili) or will be set to All-Star Guard. If you use the Rookie layup pack with a good player, he'll still have really bad layups

Riggs

Banned
Riggs, have you tried messing with your player's signature animations? Specifically their Layup Package?

In the case of the really good players, they either have their own package (D-Rose, Wade, Ginobili) or will be set to All-Star Guard. If you use the Rookie layup pack with a good player, he'll still have really bad layups

Ya man :(

All star guard, D. Wade, C. Paul, nothing seems to get me on the level of Derrick Rose, really was trying to make a player like him. My stats are all better then his too lol. Just played a game against the bulls and the shit rose was pulling off in the paint was awesome. My guy just kept missing. And thing is I know how to do these moves , I play season with OKC and Chicago, pulling off awesome lay ups with Rose and Westbrook. Even though I have right Signature Advantage moves and proper stats its like 2k has penalized PG's in my player .... only thing I can conclude at this point. My buddy's SG can do all this shit and his stats are way lower then mine.

Babalu.

all I can say about that is make sure "shot in traffic" is high, theres a signature skill that helps with contact dunks/layups too.

But something I noticed too is that when I upped my rebounding stats to max, it became harder to rebound for some reason. Like I was missing gimme's that I was grabbing no problem with lower stats.

I have no evidence to back it up but it seems like when I upped my stats like crazy, I seemed to get worse or something. (rebounding, blocking).

Who knows.

So what's wrong with the PC version this year? Online still defaults to lowest setting without any way to change? Patches slow? UI still the previous year's? Ronnie2K still pretends that PC community doesn't exist? etc? Lay it on me...I'm tempted to buy ...

Riggs

Banned
all I can say about that is make sure "shot in traffic" is high, theres a signature skill that helps with contact dunks/layups too.

But something I noticed too is that when I upped my rebounding stats to max, it became harder to rebound for some reason. Like I was missing gimme's that I was grabbing no problem with lower stats.

I have no evidence to back it up but it seems like when I upped my stats like crazy, I seemed to get worse or something. (rebounding, blocking).

Who knows.

Shot in traffic maxed, Finisher and Acrobat signature advantage skills maxed 3/3. I give up, will just make a fucking SG since apparently PG's cannot do contact lay ups in this game ... PG's you make at least.
Ridiculous!

I really wish I had the smarts to test this theory, but I think Finisher is totally fucked for my PG/Athletic guy. It literally does nothing (at least for lay ups), I perform the same as I did without it =/

Even tried re equipping it to different signature advantage slots lol =/

Tons of people on Gamefaqs I noticed with the same exact problem, so weird .... I must figure this out!

EDIT

Copy and paste from a guy over at 2ksports.com

Originally Posted by elevator13@***********
I actually think the Finisher skill is legitimately broken at the top level. At 99 dunk and 95 shoot in traffic with finisher at 2/3 for about an entire season I was able to completely destroy the opposition. I could probably pull off a 360 spin move plus layup through 3 different people. Since upgrading to 3/3 a contact is almost guaranteed to end in failure. Even if I am consistently making much worse shot selections suddenly ever since picking it up, even if the rest of the league suddenly became much better defenders, no matter what, that doesn't make much sense. With stats like 99, 95 and finisher at 3/3, it's almost a given that every once in a while I should see at least a single shot that isn't a complete brick. Not happening.

That is really the conclusion I was coming to around 3pm today. Roughly 8 hours ago, I had a feeling this was exactly the problem. Would make sense to say the least, my boy is doing lay ups like a beast with Finisher 2/3 and pretty lame stats. Wish I knew someone at 2k =/

Key word at end of his post "Complete Brick", these layups are not EVEN close with light to medium contact. They are total amateur hour, really hope this is fixed in a patch if indeed Finisher 3/3 is screwed up.

So what's wrong with the PC version this year? Online still defaults to lowest setting without any way to change? Patches slow? UI still the previous year's? Ronnie2K still pretends that PC community doesn't exist? etc? Lay it on me...I'm tempted to buy ...

I just played some quick games offline and had a blast.

benjipwns

Banned
No MyTeam, no MyPlayer closet thing, no All-Star Weekend preorder, no VC system. There's some stuff you can't unlock because there's no VC, but that'll probably get modded or fixed.

Online is fixed, but is matchmaking only.

Patches will probably be slow again, and Ronnie2K is same as always.

Roster/court updates and stuff come out the same day as consoles though.

Ugh...I hate this second class treatment of the PC version. I'd actually be willing to pay more if they made at the very least a full featured port...It's probably going to take them months again after the console patch to push the PC patch out as well..

LuchaShaq

Banned
Love the game.

That said the 3pt contest in the all star pack is 100% garbage. The controls are laggy in this mode unlike any 2k game ever? Seems like an alpha build of the 3pt contest since it looks worse than the rest of the game as well. Confusing as hell.

Heysoos

Not sure if anyone can help me, but I did a clean install for Windows 8. Reinstalled the game, but I can't log in anymore because it says the myplayer account doesn't exist, eventhough I can log in to the website. I can't create a new account because it says my CD key is already in use... :/ Shitty drm is shit.

Top Bottom