• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K13 |OT| Because Live is Dead

Omega

Banned
does someone quitting in a quick match count as 2 wins?

i was 1-2, made this guy rage quit and got my 3 wins a row achievement

RS4-

What's up with double tapping B while on defense? You just fall over as if you got your ankles broken.

Is it to flop?

bieber_uni.jpg

d8f3c06f_picard_wtf_RE_DONT_QUESTION-s300x266-71337.jpeg

This is the worst NBA 3pt contest in any game I've ever played. The controls are so shit, How hard can it be to make the 3pt contest smooth? Man its terrible

So I'm playing Rockets/Knicks 94 against the cpu and it's a tie game under 1 min in the 4th and I miss a shot with Dream and I casually say "Shit" out loud and my Kinect picked it up and I was called for a tech for verbal abuse (I honestly didn't even know that was in the game) ....

Holy shit, that's awesome. LOL. Best use of the Kinect so far confirmed.

Desaan

PC version has the same textures as console by the looks of things, the lighting and reflections are noticeably better and other small details due to advanced AA and MSAA options.

EDIT: My player creation still sucks massive balls, horrible hair textures and insanely low resolution tattoos make another appearance. This game needs something akin to EA's game face and they need to step up on the my player creation, it's been the same 3 years in a row.

Reave

Huge improvement over 2k12, which I thought was absolutely abysmal by NBA 2k standards (see: NBA 2k11).

My only gripe is CAP/MyCAREER. No good hair and face options and there's still no voiceover option, which means I still sound like a thug, you feel me?!

Otherwise, I fucking love this game.

The M.O.B

EDIT: My player creation still sucks massive balls, horrible hair textures and insanely low resolution tattoos make another appearance. This game needs something akin to EA's game face and they need to step up on the my player creation, it's been the same 3 years in a row.

My only gripe is CAP/MyCAREER. No good hair and face options and there's still no voiceover option, which means I still sound like a thug, you feel me?!

Yup, judging from reactions MyCareer mode still seems like a mess as it has always been.

chris121580

Man, the atmosphere is so damn good especially when a game is close at the end. Crowd is going nuts and the announcers are totally into it. This game is fantastic

Omega

Banned
Yup, judging from reactions MyCareer mode still seems like a mess as it has always been.

pretty much.

i'm puerto rican but i have to make my player be black because the second to last skin tone looks good until you get in game, then you look like a character from the simpsons.

charsace

So I'm playing Rockets/Knicks 94 against the cpu and it's a tie game under 1 min in the 4th and I miss a shot with Dream and I casually say "Shit" out loud and my Kinect picked it up and I was called for a tech for verbal abuse (I honestly didn't even know that was in the game) ....

lol :(

Also there is a scoreboard glitch in online games.... 2k fix this shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUyzylptul0

If I had this game I would get banned from it. I would go ape shit and some of you know it.

CSX

Just came back from a friend's who had the game.

I keep on doing crossovers underneath the basket lol...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
If I had this game I would get banned from it. I would go ape shit and some of you know it.

I don't think voice commands work online, unless I'm missing something in options or mine just doesn't want to work online :\ No problem offline, but my Kinect is not picking up anything in the 5 online match ups Ive played. I cussed up a storm the last game I just played online cause I wasn't getting any foul calls and nothing. I would also yell out man D or pick and roll and that too didn't work.

Can't be banned if the function doesn't work online lol

edit- read an old post at operationsports... yea this doesn't work online.

parasight

Online is so damn broken. It's on like Rookie difficulty or some shit. All sorts of bulldozing and shooting over 70% from beyond the arc on like 30 attempts in 5 minute quarters. I know 2K is terrible every year online but this is like fundamentally broken.

Fjordson

Love the way this game plays. Only got in a few quick games and the rookie challenge in My Career, but I like it so far.

Got drafted 11th by the Blazers. Was really hoping I could go to New Orleans with Anthony Davis, but missed it by a spot =[

I only played a single game, but something I noticed from videos as well is that there are a ton of offensive rebounds. Is this a difficulty setting thing? Maybe it's more realistic than I'm thinking and is actually an improvement, but just seemed like rebounds were almost 50/50.

I only played a single game, but something I noticed from videos as well is that there are a ton of offensive rebounds. Is this a difficulty setting thing? Maybe it's more realistic than I'm thinking and is actually an improvement, but just seemed like rebounds were almost 50/50.

Found them really hard last year as you'd get glued to defenders and couldn't fight for space.

Fjordson

I've noticed this as well and I think it's off. Seen it mentioned on Operation Sports, GameFAQs, Twitter, etc. Seems like a lot of people are seeing too many offensive rebounds. Wouldn't be surprised if that's tweaked in an upcoming patch.

benjipwns

Banned
Found them really hard last year as you'd get glued to defenders and couldn't fight for space.
The best part is if the shot was going in, you could easily get to the basket. If it was going to hit the rim, the AI was boxing you out hard. Was easy to tell on FTs.

Maybe it's more realistic than I'm thinking and is actually an improvement, but just seemed like rebounds were almost 50/50.
A realistic distribution is around 70/30 D/O.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Is online quick match on rookie or something? F-ing superstars don't miss at all and 3 pointers go in way too much.

mbmonk

EDIT:

1) In 2k12 there was a screen that told you how a specific player peformed for all the shot types and skill moves. For example, it woud tell you "Post Hook - Excellent" "Post Fade - Average" "Post Hop - Good". Is this screen still in the game?

2) So would the Lakers be a good team to use to learn the game? They seem to have a good variety of skilled players (post, slashers, spot up shooters, pick'n'roll passers, etc.). In theory I could stick with the same team to practice my post moves, drives to the basket, PnR, etc.

Heat are a sick team, but Bosh isn't really your traditional post player. The Thunder don't have a great offensive post either.

I am just struggling so bad with the Bobcats....

Solo Act

There are a lot of offensive rebounds against the computer. It was driving me nuts during my 5th game, and I had made the decision to adjust the sliders after I finished the current game I was in. Then, something clicked for me and I ended up not adjusting the sliders after all.

Maybe I'm giving the game too much credit, but I think this is the most realistic rebounding engine in a video game. You have to box out. It's not about switching to your tallest guy and hitting the jump button (although that will work from time to time), it's about making sure that you have inside position on the other teams rebounders, boxing out, and then grabbing the rebound. I'm telling you, once I figured out how to make sure my positioning was correct, and find someone to box out once a shot is in the air (L2/LT), my defensive rebound numbers went way up. Basically, instead of worrying about my guy, I started worrying where Dwight Howard was and made sure I had a body on him.

Rebounding is a game within the game. Defensive positioning matters, whether defending on the ball or going after rebounds. I personally love it and would recommend trying to watch your rebound position and get a butt on the offensive players.

Smokey

Is online quick match on rookie or something? F-ing superstars don't miss at all and 3 pointers go in way too much.

Probably. They'll probably fix it in a patch along with the usual 2kisms. Of course that patch will probably break something else.

2k life!

charsace

Online is so damn broken. It's on like Rookie difficulty or some shit. All sorts of bulldozing and shooting over 70% from beyond the arc on like 30 attempts in 5 minute quarters. I know 2K is terrible every year online but this is like fundamentally broken.

In 2k11 they tried sim settings at release and got a ton of complaints. They patched the game and changed the settings back to dunk fest. The only way you could get sim game play in match making is back when they made college hoops.

EDIT:

1) In 2k12 there was a screen that told you how a specific player peformed for all the shot types and skill moves. For example, it woud tell you "Post Hook - Excellent" "Post Fade - Average" "Post Hop - Good". Is this screen still in the game?

2) So would the Lakers be a good team to use to learn the game? They seem to have a good variety of skilled players (post, slashers, spot up shooters, pick'n'roll passers, etc.). In theory I could stick with the same team to practice my post moves, drives to the basket, PnR, etc.

Heat are a sick team, but Bosh isn't really your traditional post player. The Thunder don't have a great offensive post either.

I am just struggling so bad with the Bobcats....
1. I'm not sure as I haven't really dug through the menus and features...

2. Definitely. Gasol in the high post is pretty lethal, Howard is a beast down low, Metta is a pretty good defender, Nash is a great "glue" player that keeps everything running smoothly, and Kobes SIG skills are all pretty damn good , especially Heat Retention, Finisher, & Deadeye.

Practice your post moves with Dwight, Pau, & Kobe. There are tons of dekes and jab steps/fakes to use now that I find myself really enjoying going to the post. The CPU will double hard when you get on a roll in the post, though, so that's when Metta, Kobe, Jamison, etc come in real handy as spot up shooters.

Also, the high PnR with either KB or Nash handling and Gasol rolling is pretty lethal. When Pau comes off the screen you have various options: pop the j at the elbow, roll to the basket for a layup, drive and kick to metta/nash, or drive and dump down low to Dwight as the defense rotates. Its really a thing of beauty. Just learn to use bumper commands, such as LB then Y then right stick towards opposite basket, which will make Gasol pop out. You can make all your players cut any direction you like using that feature as well as call out plays that highlight that player. The left bumper is something I use every time down the floor, and you should all be doing the same.

mbmonk

1. I'm not sure as I haven't really dug through the menus and features...

2. Definitely. Gasol in the high post is pretty lethal, Howard is a beast down low, Metta is a pretty good defender, Nash is a great "glue" player that keeps everything running smoothly, and Kobes SIG skills are all pretty damn good , especially Heat Retention, Finisher, & Deadeye.

Practice your post moves with Dwight, Pau, & Kobe. There are tons of dekes and jab steps/fakes to use now that I find myself really enjoying going to the post. The CPU will double hard when you get on a roll in the post, though, so that's when Metta, Kobe, Jamison, etc come in real handy as spot up shooters.

Also, the high PnR with either KB or Nash handling and Gasol rolling is pretty lethal. When Pau comes off the screen you have various options: pop the j at the elbow, roll to the basket for a layup, drive and kick to metta/nash, or drive and dump down low to Dwight as the defense rotates. Its really a thing of beauty. Just learn to use bumper commands, such as LB then Y then right stick towards opposite basket, which will make Gasol pop out. You can make all your players cut any direction you like using that feature as well as call out plays that highlight that player. The left bumper is something I use every time down the floor, and you should all be doing the same.

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. I haven't had time to study the roster in depth yet, so this is great info :). Thanks again!

Smokey

The Rockets have NOTHING. I have no low post presence. No slasher. No finishers around the rim. No outstanding defenders. RIP Yao and Tracy. Although to be fair I haven't yet done my homework of digging into individual tendencies so I'm just going off of my default games so far.

But I do have Kevin Martin aint that right Dark Faze

skipped 2k12 and my favorite was 2k10. though it sounds like i'll wait for a good price drop and patches based on what i've read the past few pages.

anyone play as the mavs and can give me some quick impressions?

also, is troy murphy still fucking automatic from 3 in this game? i used to piss off my roommate using murph, granger, jr smith or rudy fernandez.

The Rockets have NOTHING. I have no low post presence. No slasher. No finishers around the rim. No outstanding defenders. RIP Yao and Tracy. Although to be fair I haven't yet done my homework of digging into individual tendencies so I'm just going off of my default games so far.

Rocket's GM Daryl Morey:

"We bet it all on Dwight.
The Lakers took the best of us and tore him down.
People will lose hope."

Enter Jeremy Lin:
"But the Lakers cannot win. Houston needs its true hero."

Got a double double and still only went 10th in myplayer.

10th pick is best pick (I was pumped that Detroit and Phoenix passed me by).

I was excited that Horse Rogers got picked over Austin Rivers, but I realized once we got in a game that somehow the Hornets were able to snag Anthony Davis at 1, Horse at 10 and still had Austin Rivers on the roster.

I guess I didn't notice that when I was going in the 20s last year, but seems odd that they wouldn't leave the original player in the pool for the next team. Also that means there is zero risk to a team for drafting me and I might as well go first.

charsace

Did they power down the player tendencies this year? It used to be that a guy could have an average rating in something, but an above average tendency and be good at it.

Top Bottom