• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K13 |OT| Because Live is Dead

We can always just do a joint league with another forum and make it a GAF vs thing. An overall winner obviously along with a sidebet involving which forum will rank it more wins or have a better winning percentage at seasons end.

EagleEyes

Anybody have any idea why the playvision art doesn't show up on the court in myCareer? I've got the option for it turned on and i've got the run plays option on also. The playcall messages also aren't coming up either. Please tell me 2K didn't screw this up again like they did a few years ago.

ecnal

Alright so I've gone back and have a preliminary list of those who would like to be in GAF 360 league:

Smokey*
Dark Faze*
L1quidSwords
Clint Beastwood
Ferny*
Ecnal*
Nightz*
Amory
Anachronous_one*
triggaz
Red Blaster
lol

*vets that have played in GAF leagues in years past. They will get first dibs on teams.

Here is a link to our last league

To get an idea of how they leagues are ran check out the rules in the OP. We didn't do one for 2k12 because OA was jacked up. Some of those rules could be modified but that's the general outline. If I missed somebody or others are interested post and I will add. If you don't think you'd want to play through a season and would drop etc, please don't sign up!

quoted for new page.

leggo!

Fjordson

Just had 21 points and 8 assists in my fifth game in MyCareer. Pick & roll with LaMarcus Aldridge is beastly.

Anybody have any idea why the playvision art doesn't show up on the court in myCareer? I've got the option for it turned on and i've got the run plays option on also. The playcall messages also aren't coming up either. Please tell me 2K didn't screw this up again like they did a few years ago.
I saw people mentioning this on another forum. I think that it's a bug right now where it doesn't show up if you aren't playing point guard. My guy plays the point so I haven't had a problem, but it sounds like an issue for every other position =[

Just lost to the Heat as the Hornets but at least I got it down to a 10 point difference and I got LeBron to foul out. Moral victories!

Some of the custom shoes I've made using the Shoe Creator.

i9ow6.jpg

ljYwB.jpg

pqacn.jpg

XLHIp.jpg

Misterhbk

Just had 21 points and 8 assists in my fifth game in MyCareer. Pick & roll with LaMarcus Aldridge is beastly.

I saw people mentioning this on another forum. I think that it's a bug right now where it doesn't show up if you aren't playing point guard. My guy plays the point so I haven't had a problem, but it sounds like an issue for every other position =[

I put up a 50 point and 13 assist game today. I got drafted by the rockets though. In the same game Kevin Martin put up 39. We're godly together lol

Im having the same problem..

Ferny

Wow

I just had a shot that was REALLY close to not counting at the basket because the clock had run down and instead of just either giving you the point or not, they did the whole ref review and showed multiple viewpoints of the shot. Not a crazy big thing but it's little things that make it better.

Wow

I just had a shot that was REALLY close to not counting at the basket because the clock had run down and instead of just either giving you the point or not, they did the whole ref review and showed multiple viewpoints of the shot. Not a crazy big thing but it's little things that make it better.
They've had that for at least two years now, but yea its a great touch!

YagizY

Can anyone give me tips as a newcomer to the series? I haven't really played a basketball game since 1998 (I know, I know). Any place for good tutorials? What camera angle do you guys use? Should I use the shot stick or the buttons to shoot? Thanks guys.

Can anyone give me tips as a newcomer to the series? I haven't really played a basketball game since 1998 (I know, I know). Any place for good tutorials? What camera angle do you guys use? Should I use the shot stick or the buttons to shoot? Thanks guys.

Use the 2K camera view. Also, I normally use the shot stick but sometimes down low I press X because it's just quicker IMO.

Smokey

there's a training camp under game modes. start there. and change camera to 2k.

Shady859

Having a lot of fun in mycareer, pass first pg with 20 games points dumped all into passing, handling and D skills. Offense sucks lol....

Talked myself out of a few teams with good pg and landed in Memphis. Now I'm in a dream situation for my guy after requesting the GM to go get help and suggesting they get my UK boy MKG. Traded starting pg Conley for Gilchrist. MKG and Gay running the break is nasty plus Randolph and Gasol down low. Hello assist crown! ;)

Misterhbk

Just crushed a guy online who picked the Lakers. I went with Philly and absolutely dominated him. Felt so good. Can't stand guys who just pick the stacked teams.

Smokey

I'd like to play in the GAF league if there's room

Smokey*
Dark Faze*
L1quidSwords
Clint Beastwood
Ferny*
Ecnal*
Nightz*
Amory
Anachronous_one*
triggaz
rinse82
Red Blaster lol

if we get this going definitely going to mess with the sliders for league. offensive rebounding for example is way too high.

Smokey

You can use both. 2k made life harder this year by requiring that you hold down LT plus shot stick to use. This is counter intuitive to those of us who have played 2k for years. Previous iterations if you wanted to shoot with the stick you just used RS and that was it.

I am still working on getting used to the stick as I think it's easier to do more advanced moves. But for quick jumpshots, x is just fine.

zeeaykay

You can use both. 2k made life harder this year by requiring that you hold down LT plus shot stick to use. This is counter intuitive to those of us who have played 2k for years. Previous iterations if you wanted to shoot with the stick you just used RS and that was it.

I am still working on getting used to the stick as I think it's easier to do more advanced moves. But for quick jumpshots, x is just fine.

You can switch it so that you have to hold down the trigger to do moves and default is shot stick.

charsace

I only played a few games, but the control system was easy for me to pick up in the time I did play. They had a similar control system in one of the previous 2k games. This is just a better version of it.

The controls are simple almost to a fault. The crossovers are so easy but way too effective.

Also, CP3 is unguardable. Please don't sleep on the clips in this game, against any team. So much fire power.

Misterhbk

The controls are simple almost to a fault. The crossovers are so easy but way too effective.

Also, CP3 is unguardable. Please don't sleep on the clips in this game, against any team. So much fire power.

CP3 is guardable. You have to make him put the ball on the floor and use dribble moves. He'll get fatigued pretty quickly and then defending him is cake. Then again, for the most part Ive been using Philly and Jrue Holiday is a god.

CP3 is guardable. You have to make him put the ball on the floor and use dribble moves. He'll get fatigued pretty quickly and then defending him is cake. Then again, for the most part Ive been using Philly and Jrue Holiday is a god.

I guess you haven't played me yet. Putting the ball on the floor is the last thing you want me to do. He is so quick and while I was great at creating space at 2k12, here its childs play. He's way too good of a shooter, and can keep it up the whole game.

YagizY

Any tips on playing defense? I just switch to whoever is guarding on the ball and play close D. End up getting burned a lot.

Also I have no idea what I'm doing on offense. Should I be running plays? All I do is run down the court pass it a couple times and jack up a random shot or try to drive to the basket. Is icon passing considered the best way to pass?

Sorry for all the questions. I did the tutorial but once I actually played in game I felt like everything I learned went out the window.

Fjordson

Any tips on playing defense? I just switch to whoever is guarding on the ball and play close D. End up getting burned a lot.

Also I have no idea what I'm doing on offense. Should I be running plays? All I do is run down the court pass it a couple times and jack up a random shot or try to drive to the basket. Is icon passing considered the best way to pass?

Sorry for all the questions. I did the tutorial but once I actually played in game I felt like everything I learned went out the window.
Definitely use the icon passing. I mean sometimes when it's a totally obvious and wide open pass you don't need to, but it's usually safer to use the icons.

For plays, you don't have to, but it's good to. I'm forgetting at the moment which it is, but press either right or left on the D-Pad to bring up a set of plays and try them out. Also, you can hold down LB (or L1 on PS3) to initiate a pick & roll with one of your forwards. Hold it down until it shows "roll" over their head and then use their pick. It's been improved a lot for 2K13 so many times you'll get an open jumper for the ball handler or be able to hit the roll guy cutting to the basket.

YagizY

Awesome! Thank you. I've been messing with the screens a bit but ill try the plays as well. I need to get my post game a lot better too.

Smokey

Alright so I've gone back and have a preliminary list of those who would like to be in GAF 360 league:

Smokey*
Dark Faze*
L1quidSwords
Clint Beastwood
Ferny*
Ecnal*
Nightz*
Amory
Anachronous_one*
triggaz
chizmiz
rinse
Red Blaster
lol

*vets that have played in GAF leagues in years past. They will get first dibs on teams.

[

I would gladly play the 360 league.

Would like to reiterate that if we do go through with this we'll probably leave it on flex scheduling where you have the next 5 games available on your schedule. From there you can choose who to play based on who's online etc. Once everyone finishes there 5 we will advance on whatever advancement schedule we come up with.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

Use the right stick functions and Intense D. You can lunge into drive lanes to quickly apply pressure. There's also a shadowing function with Intense D. It helps you stay in a good position to put a body on people driving in the open direction and it can influence people to go in directions you specify. You can also put your hands up which helps a ton in at least getting a minimum contest rating if you are anywhere near a dude.

as for offense, running plays (with play art enabled) is probably the most accessible way to get started right. It might be a little boring. If you are feeling more free form start with the basics of calling for picks and getting into the post game.

Messi

I wish I knew how to play this game, it looks awesome. But I am only a casual basketball watcher. I barely understand the rules. I have no idea about plays or what any of the terms mean (Posting up???). I know the big names in basketball and thats about it. I wish there was a mode that thought the basics of basketball.

I watched all of the finals last year and found it to be pretty awesome. As was Celtics vs Heat.

I know this is dumb to most of you guys.

YagizY

I wish I knew how to play this game, it looks awesome. But I am only a casual basketball watcher. I barely understand the rules. I have no idea about plays or what any of the terms mean (Posting up???). I know the big names in basketball and thats about it. I wish there was a mode that thought the basics of basketball.

I watched all of the finals last year and found it to be pretty awesome. As was Celtics vs Heat.

I watch a good amount of basketball but I'm starting from scratch when it comes to the 2k series. I think the training camp function gives you a good base from which to build on. It's definitely difficult but it's been fun. I would recommend it. If you are worried about dropping 60 bucks just get 2k11 or 2k12.

Blablurn

i was the same two years ago. but then i started to watch more and more NBA. i started to play more and more 2K. and even though i'm surely not as good as most of the others here, i really fell in love with this game. it was probably my most played game last year too :-o

i mean, u can try it. if u dont like it, just sell the game again.

Messi

i was the same two years ago. but then i started to watch more and more NBA. i started to play more and more 2K. and even though i'm surely not as good as most of the others here, i really fell in love with this game. it was probably my most played game last year too :-o

i mean, u can try it. if u dont like it, just sell the game again.

I think I will try it. I do like watching basketball. As random as it seems at times.

if we get this going definitely going to mess with the sliders for league. offensive rebounding for example is way too high.

Yeah it's pretty insane.

And does anyone else feel like the release times are lying to them? When it tells me my shot release was early sometimes I literally have my jaw on the ground. Never had a problem with releases in any other 2k before but this one has just got me stumped.

ecnal

Yeah it's pretty insane.

And does anyone else feel like the release times are lying to them? When it tells me my shot release was early sometimes I literally have my jaw on the ground. Never had a problem with releases in any other 2k before but this one has just got me stumped.

i think some of the animations are off.

the initial jumpshot animation i had for myplayer was similar to what you're describing -- i had to hold the shot till way after the peak of the jump.

ended up switching to a diff animation though, and everything is fine now.

Smokey

Smokey*
Dark Faze*
L1quidSwords
Clint Beastwood
Ferny*
Ecnal*
Nightz*
Amory
Anachronous_one*
triggaz
chizmiz
rinse
DiddyBop*

Smokey! Put me on the list please, been waiting for this league to start up

dat boy Diddy

i got ya added

I'll leave this open until Tuesday morning and then I'll create the league

I think I will try it. I do like watching basketball. As random as it seems at times.

What do you need help with understanding? I feel the same way about soccer.

mbmonk

Had a weird bug happen today. I was playing an online quick match game. Lakers vs Lakers ( I know... ) anyways my opponent took a time out and while he was changing his defensive setting it was changing them on my screen as well. He was trying to double Howard in the post using the time out defensive matchup screen. I assume it was because we were both using the Lakers.

I got a laugh out of it. :p

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I want the Rockets.... oh wait lol

what do you guys think of the idea of giving teams temporary boosts when you call time outs? like when you call a time out, instead of just doing subs, you can also decide from a list of options what you want your coach to talk about to the team. things like pushing offense, defense, aggressiveness and such and depending on what you choose your team gets a slight bonus for limited time or certain number of plays.

rvy

Banned
RELEASE THE BIEBER

Never fear, I enjoyed 2k12 and don't know much about basketball either. Just play with classic Bulls for a big while till you get the game.

Top Bottom