• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Makes one yearn for an NFL 2K14

Well, not enough people bought All-Pro Football 2K8. It had flaws but the animation was nice & smooth. It would have been nice to see it develop over the years.

If 2K got the license for the NFL now, it would take a while to get a good game put together.

SRTtoZ

NBA Live != 2K14

sxOsZBk.jpg

Yep. People need to stop confusing NBA Live with 2K14. 2K14 is the real deal, Live is most likely dogshit. I say most likely because I have not played it yet.

Hover hand? :p

No! He's holding it with his palms so that when he dunks it he has his fingers free to grab the rim...

So simulation! :D

The new My GM mode is horrible though. Should have just made an association mode. I don't want to spend stupid VC just to change my rotation. And I don't give a crap about talking with the owner.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Why is people calling this game crap? Is it because it's just a last gen 2K14 with better graphics or because gameplay is actually worse than last gen 2K14?

Talking about a different game. Someone streamed NBA Live last night and it in fact did look like garbage. Especially compared to how amazing 2K14 looks.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I was only planning on picking up BF4, but if my schedule frees up, I'll get this, as well.

Pissed at myself for not going with B1G1Free deal at amazon.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Its amazing seeing ppl ....who havent played it......diss it when ppl that have played it....said in so many words... they are pleasantly surprised.

The hate is strong ....carry on.

Its amazing seeing ppl ....who havent played it......diss it when ppl that have played it....said in so many words... they are pleasantly surprised.

Well, we'll see. But the fact that they embargo the reviews . . . well, that is usually quite telling.

They took my spin button away! Lol, it was for the better, people abused that shit way too much. My good friend and I played our first game tonight and it ran buttery smooth online. I'm 1-0 and he is salty as hell! Mmmmhmmm bitter tears.

rrs

Review embargo + been quite a while since EA done it (last year's was canned due to suck) = something not NBA 2K14 good

Linconan

Question: Can you Create your own player and likeness?

I don't really follow Basketball, but wouldn't mind a Sport game like this at Launch.
I used to love the old NBA on the Megadrive."He's on Fire!!!!" LOL

These sorta games i'd get into, if you can create your own likeness.
Fuck i wish more games did the Rainbow Six/Vegas face scanning. *sigh
Changed the whole playing field of immersion.

Live 14' looks like shit and plays like shit. Whoever pays $60 for that game is just giving EA money for no reason, when there's a clear superior NBA game around. If they really wanted to be competitive, they should've released this game at $30 a piece, and maybe, just maybe, people would buy it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is there a standard season mode in this game? I am finding options for online, single games and creating my own character. I just want to play the Lakers through a standard season, nothing fancy.

The Janky animations happen when you don't play the game probably, like trying to dribble too much and shit. I keep doing that right now, I have to get used to it.

What you just said sounds weird, but I agree. When you know what you're doing, the animations blend far more realistically with what you would expect of the actual players. However, when you force the issue and play wild with no control, that causes the game to look less impressive because there's nothing convincing about the player's movements.

SRTtoZ

I don't really follow Basketball, but wouldn't mind a Sport game like this at Launch.

You get to create a "My Player" which is essentially you. It has a ton of options like 20 different heads, 30 hairstyles, body types etc. Then with that player you get to either start from the ground up and work your way into the NBA or you can be a GM and manage a team, simulating or playing out each game.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Been playing "My Career" mode for about 3 hours now.

PUT ME IN COACH I'm ready to play. But I'm not mad because even watching from the bench I said WOW.

slabrock

Banned
This thread is getting me hyped. Now I want to get it from Target tomorrow. I gotta think of two more games to grab.

BadAss2961

I'm not into it myself, but creating your player has actually been a focal point of 2K for years now.

So yeah.

I haven't played an NBA game since NBA 2K on Dreamcast. Would I enjoy this?

Dude, the gameplay has come a LONG way since the 2K days. You wouldn't just enjoy it. You would lose your mind at how good it is. I say this as someone not playing the PS4 version of the game right now, but I play 2K religiously. I know the games inside and out, and trust me when I say the gameplay and simulation of basketball has never been done better. There are so many little touches that will amaze you, especially the post up game, or the way you can carefully manage your dribble and pull up into a jumper. It's all the little things.

It looks amazing from the streams I've been seeing of it. It's even making me considering picking it up just to see it on my screen.

I haven't played an NBA game since 2k7 so this would be a nice game to come back to.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the language thing had me laughing when I saw it on stream. The guy playing cursed and got a foul lol. I would definitely turn that off but it was still funny to see.

SRTtoZ

I'm not into it myself, but creating your player has actually been a focal point of 2K for years now.

So yeah.

Its also the best visually, meaning they use the same assets as they do for the NBA players, so your player doesn't stick out like a sore thumb next to everyone else on court. I was actually blown away when I started customizing my guy, they even have the harden beard you can use.

bigace33

This is definitely the game you use to show off the power of your PS4. It's so much better than the janky PC version that it's not even funny. Not only does it look amazing but it plays amazing as well.

Preaching to the choir, fucking amazing. Here are some screens I took of a bad ass Tyson Chandler dunk. Too bad I suck at the game though. Lastly, remember when the people said "Thats not ingame LOL".

Yep, thats in game.

BZJ_bKoIcAAvqC6.jpg:large

BZJ_Ur3IcAASNGb.jpg:large

BZKjBQUIAAAYUvn.jpg:large

I wish 2K would work more on realism. Tyson looks way too healthy in those pics.

Linconan

You get to create a "My Player" which is essentially you. It has a ton of options like 20 different heads, 30 hairstyles, body types etc. Then with that player you get to either start from the ground up and work your way into the NBA or you can be a GM and manage a team, simulating or playing out each game.
Cheers :)

Not exactly what i was hoping for but she'll have to do.
Need me a fun sporty game to pick up n play in between times.

Preaching to the choir, fucking amazing. Here are some screens I took of a bad ass Tyson Chandler dunk. Too bad I suck at the game though. Lastly, remember when the people said "Thats not ingame LOL".

Yep, thats in game.

We tried to tell them.

Bububu it's pre-rendered! bububu it's in-engine not live!

2K doesn't do that bullshot nonsense. What you see is what you get with them.

Purexed

Banned
It's funny, the hallmark of next gen for me are smooth frame rates and pristine image quality. Played Resogun, Madden, 2k14 and Warframe and I have a much better appreciation for the graphics in person vs web streams, even with Madden 25.

But yeah, floored by this game. Really looking forward to digging in this weekend. Amazing accomplishment considering they pumped out a current gen product too.

Derrick01

Banned
I like how this was changed into the OT :lol

Did anyone figure out what the PS4 exclusive content was? I'm expecting nothing of value but I'd still like to know. Kind of wish I was playing this tonight...stupid UPS.

I watched someone stream Live last night and it was horrible.

Not only did it look crap graphically...At one point, three guys just WARPED across the screen.

But reading the streamer's posts on OpSports was even more enlightening. The craziest thing he had to say was the spin move was AUTOMATIC in the game.

WTF, EA?

2K is going to smash Live this year, and it might be one of those things where EA never recovers in basketball the rest of the gen. It really is that stark a difference.

Storm360

I'm amazed, is there a demo? I don't care about Basketball enough to buy a game about it, but I'll be damned I want to see this on my TV

Purexed

Banned
Another great touch is that you feel subtle pulse feedback on every dribble as a ball carrier. Really helps on the immersion tilt.

Also, with the PS camera, you can call timeouts with your voice. Still figuring out other voice commands though.

snack

Another great touch is that you feel subtle pulse feedback on every dribble as a ball carrier. Really helps on the immersion tilt.

Also, with the PS camera, you can call timeouts with your voice. Still figuring out other voice commands though.
I wonder if "HACK A DWIGHT" works when you play the Rockets.

The_Afroman

I watched someone stream Live last night and it was horrible.

Not only did it look crap graphically...At one point, three guys just WARPED across the screen.

But reading the streamer's posts on OpSports was even more enlightening. The craziest thing he had to say was the spin move was AUTOMATIC in the game.

WTF, EA?

2K is going to smash Live this year, and it might be one of those things where EA never recovers in basketball the rest of the gen. It really is that stark a difference.

I was in that channel last night. Ugh. it looked awful. Something about it was off. The D was just STUCK to the players. No fluid D. Looked like maybe a 2007 Xbox 360 game.. with more reflections.

SlickVic

indeed, fuck EA

I may be missing some details from that deal, but I feel more annoyed by the NFL agreeing to an exclusive deal than I do with EA personally. Thank god that never happened with the NBA.

Anyways, the graphics for this look fantastic. Probably the only game out right now that makes me feel bad that I won't own a PS4 or Xbox One for a while.

bigace33

Ahh that's what that subtle vibration was for.

Top Bottom