• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

bremon

My brother-in-law wants Live 14 but I think I'll be buying him this. He's a pretty casual gamer so probably won't even realize the solid I'm doing him. This game actually looks so good that I'm sort of interested in it, and I don't know much about basketball.

Sassen

Few more years and there will be no difference.

lebron_james_23_400x295_50.jpg

Are his tattoos on the wrong side? lol

Edit: Just noticed the first pic is flipped <_<

I booted it up and played as the Heat while it installed and my mom goes "Why are we watching the Heat play? Are the Lakers on?"

Game is legit folks. So damn nice!

Are his tattoos on the wrong side? lol
How many cities do you know called Imaim? How about Miami? ;)

DJ88

I wish I could post the shared video clips from the game I played tonight. I haven't played a 2K game in a while so I can't wait to get into the full game. I downloaded the digital version and damn it's taking long to install the rest.

I wish I could post the shared video clips from the game I played tonight. I haven't played a 2K game in a while so I can't wait to get into the full game. I downloaded the digital version and damn it's taking long to install the rest.

yeah, those installs are a bit much, that said, it's nice it let's you play a few quick games in the meantime.

No Love

Banned
I like how this was changed into the OT :lol

Did anyone figure out what the PS4 exclusive content was? I'm expecting nothing of value but I'd still like to know. Kind of wish I was playing this tonight...stupid UPS.

I thought it was funny too when I came back and it became the OT. How random LOL

What you just said sounds weird, but I agree. When you know what you're doing, the animations blend far more realistically with what you would expect of the actual players. However, when you force the issue and play wild with no control, that causes the game to look less impressive because there's nothing convincing about the player's movements.

This is true, I am fucking terrible at this game. The controls are really complex and it's hard to get a grasp on. I've only been playing for an hour but the Spurs spanked me hard.

Hmmm, so no one else is having trouble getting online with the game? It really sucks because it locks you out of pretty much everything. Just keeps saying the 2K servers are down whenever I start the game up and try to make an account. Might be something on my end.

I would kill for an NHL game with this level of detail

Yeah, WTF EA?!?! 2K makes a great basketball game and you decide to release your crap basketball game on the next gen BUT NO HOCKEY GAME?!?!? Why no NHL 14 for next gen?

Jeez, 2K should have jumped back into hockey . . . had they known EA was going to skip this year, they could have cleaned up.

Really not liking this so far, I loved 13 but this...

I hate how they've closed off my career and lack of character customization. I feel like the character movement is sluggish as well. I can't even request a trade in my career.

i tried a quick match earlier and noticed a graphical glitch. it was during the intro cutscene. when the spotlight hits you it causes pixelated black borders . it's very noticeable.you may notice if the camera ever pans close to a player and the spotlight hits you.

Yeah, WTF EA?!?! 2K makes a great basketball game and you decide to release your crap basketball game on the next gen BUT NO HOCKEY GAME?!?!? Why no NHL 14 for next gen?

Jeez, 2K should have jumped back into hockey . . . had they known EA was going to skip this year, they could have cleaned up.

I have more faith in EA Canada to come up with something good looking, since FIFA looks and plays well.

Tiburon is just a shitty developer.

Kiyo

Just downloaded this off PSN and my game is stuck "11% Installing game. Some features will not be present."

I played through a whole Spurs vs Heat game and it still hasn't moved. Anyone else get this game off PSN? Is it trying to download more data or what?

edit: nevermind, hitting the options button on the title and going to information tells me it's only 5.2gb/45gb downloaded. I guess I should pause my other downloads to make this one go faster.

Just downloaded this off PSN and my game is stuck "11% Installing game. Some features will not be present."

I played through a whole Spurs vs Heat game and it still hasn't moved. Anyone else get this game off PSN? Is it trying to download more data or what?

the servers just may be hammered.

Cloudy

Banned
The game looks and plays great. I almost feel 2K sabotaged the current gen versions to make this even more of a leap lol

LevityNYC

Banned
dumb question...how the hell do i play this game online???

Edit:

You need to restart the game after installation to enable half the features.

Cels

nba 2k14 looks really good but i see a lot of hover hand in still shots (like players hands' not actually making contact with surfaces such as the ball, other players, etc). when a player palms the ball, it's held tightly against his hand. i don't want to see air between his hand and the ball. i'm also not impressed with the way jerseys look. very very easy to spot in screens, harder to see in motion.

these issues aren't unique to 2k14 either. all sports games have this problem where the animations are just slightly off and the clothes just don't feel real - like a post player's jersey is obviously getting tugged on in half the plays in the nba, and it doesn't seem like a game ever simulates such things, like a jersey being pulled out of shape due to an opposing player grabbing onto a player. i blasted live 14 for having identical jersey wrinkles on irving/rubio. maybe i just take my clothes too seriously. even that perkins shot above, you can see the edges in his jersey

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
nba 2k14 looks really good but i see a lot of hover hand in still shots (like players hands' not actually making contact with surfaces such as the ball, other players, etc). when a player palms the ball, it's held tightly against his hand. i don't want to see air between his hand and the ball. i'm also not impressed with the way jerseys look. very very easy to spot in screens, harder to see in motion.

these issues aren't unique to 2k14 either. all sports games have this problem where the animations are just slightly off and the clothes just don't feel real - like a post player's jersey is obviously getting tugged on in half the plays in the nba, and it doesn't seem like a game ever simulates such things, like a jersey being pulled out of shape due to an opposing player grabbing onto a player. i blasted live 14 for having identical jersey wrinkles on irving/rubio. maybe i just take my clothes too seriously. even that perkins shot above, you can see the edges in his jersey

Proper cloth simulation is a bitch to get right for even high-end CG, never mind real-time stuff. It'll take a lot of time to get right.

Spinluck

Well, not enough people bought All-Pro Football 2K8. It had flaws but the animation was nice & smooth. It would have been nice to see it develop over the years.

If 2K got the license for the NFL now, it would take a while to get a good game put together.

All Pro didn't have much of a budget.

If they put NBA 2K resources towards a Football game. I can see it working.

Mik317

Game is fun even tho I got bombed out of the building with my shit tier defense. Some slider tweaks and it will be good to go. Any negative I have with the game is the outside stuff like taking out a lot of the customization options, awful menu systems, apparently fucking up the MyGm mode with extra shit, and more basically the EA practice of taking out basic stuff to add back later as "new". That is straight garbage. Modes like MyGM and MyPlayer should be extra and not come at the expense of standard features. BUT the gameplay is fun and that saves it. But seriously they better not pull this shit again.

All Pro didn't have much of a budget.

If they put NBA 2K resources towards a Football game. I can see it working.

I think the big problem for All Pro is they pointlessly spent all that money on licensing out a bunch of old football players and has-beens which probably drove up the price to a $60 game. They can't win head to head wiht Madden w/o the NFL, but if they had positioned it as a $20 XBLA/PSN title with all of the emphasis focusing on customization and online leagues, I think they could carve out a niche. Just throw in a to of social features and make online leagues and franchises super easy to manage.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Game is fun even tho I got bombed out of the building with my shit tier defense. Some slider tweaks and it will be good to go. Any negative I have with the game is the outside stuff like taking out a lot of the customization options, awful menu systems, apparently fucking up the MyGm mode with extra shit, and more basically the EA practice of taking out basic stuff to add back later as "new". That is straight garbage. Modes like MyGM and MyPlayer should be extra and not come at the expense of standard features. BUT the gameplay is fun and that saves it. But seriously they better not pull this shit again.

At this point it can be argued that the My Player and Association/MyGM modes ARE considered standard features now for the NBA2K games going back several years.

Mik317

At this point it can be argued that the My Player and Association/MyGM modes ARE considered standard features now for the NBA2K games going back several years.

Then that's the problem,lol.

I find MyPlayer to be a broken experience most of the time sense it often doesn't make logical sense. And MyGM took out a ton of standard stuff from association modes of old.

But I'll be honest, I am mainly salty that they took out create a player, give me that back and I'm cool with all the other stuff. Especially since 2k is often lazy in adding players in. Like how do the hell did they launch with a roster older than the current gen one?

I think the big problem for All Pro is they pointlessly spent all that money on licensing out a bunch of old football players and has-beens which probably drove up the price to a $60 game. They can't win head to head wiht Madden w/o the NFL, but if they had positioned it as a $20 XBLA/PSN title with all of the emphasis focusing on customization and online leagues, I think they could carve out a niche. Just throw in a to of social features and make online leagues and franchises super easy to manage.

Interesting idea. I don't think the online services were supporting such big games being sold digitally at the time (xbox live arcade had lots of limits). But someone could try that now.

Meh, I don't think you'd get enough return on investment. People won't buy unless it is good and it won't be good w/o a lot of development.

Mik317

So many baffling decisions here.

Can't save a roster without uploading it to 2k servers and you have to download it everytime you want to use it.

No defensive settings (i.e play this guy close, back off this guy)

The entire menu system.

It's like how do you fuck these things up. There was NO need to change it. The hell?

SRTtoZ

Just played my first thrilling game, Knicks against Bulls, I had a 10 point lead for half the game, and in Knicks fashion I blew it, Bulls went up 8, I fought my way back, hit a couple 3's at the end of the game, then Melo with the And1, tied game with 12 seconds left, I call a timeout, make sure I have everyone crashing the boards incase I miss, play starts, I give the ball to Melo, get it down to about 5 seconds before I make my move towards the rim but instead I pull up about a 10 footer and shoot it, it hits the rim, pops straight up in the air, I hear the buzzer, and then it falls through the hoop.

:D

wowlace

If hover hand is gonna cause issues for you maybe bball isn't for you? Do you like basketball? Or are you more into clothes physics? People play NBA2K because they like to ball, maybe you should check out some next top fashion designer simulator or something.

VIPERGTSR01

Neo Member
I'm getting it on launch on the 29th here in Australia and am really looking forward to it.

In fact if weren't for NBA 2K14 I would hold off a PS4 until Gran Turismo, GTA or maybe Watch Dogs came out.

BigDug13

I was watching some twitch streams yesterday and I searched for an NBA 2K14 stream. I jumped in and saw really mediocre graphics and I was floored. I thought there was some sort of bait and switch.

Then I remembered that the PC version was going to get last gen assets/engine and realized that I must have stumbled into a PC twitch stream of the game...

Once I found a PS4 stream, I was relieved to see the great graphics they advertised.

Top Bottom