• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

I can't be the only one excited to see what next-gen WWE 2K15 will be like with this studio/engine at the helm can I?

I wasn't even considering getting NBA 2K14 (despite liking the series and also basketball) but man, I may have changed my mind.

SRTtoZ

BZL7RZbIgAAatPo.jpg:orig

Posterized.

Cels

If hover hand is gonna cause issues for you maybe bball isn't for you? Do you like basketball? Or are you more into clothes physics? People play NBA2K because they like to ball, maybe you should check out some next top fashion designer simulator or something.

forgive me for wanting realistic animations in my sports simulations. with your attitude we'll never see any advancements because people who want the game to look better just don't like basketball apparently.

BZL7RZbIgAAatPo.jpg:large

Posterized.

it is...quite crowded under that basket. four bobcats all right there.

SRTtoZ

forgive me for wanting realistic animations in my sports simulations

The animations are as real as they're going to get with our current technology. Its not that simple to have *perfect* animations when you have to simulate 10 players on the court at the same time all reacting in real time.

And yes, 4 players under the basket is pretty damn funny lol, I didnt even notice. I ran baseline and did a reverse dunk, maybe they all followed me :p

DoctorZ

OK, so I bought this with the B2G1 from Amazon. I like Basketball, but havent followed the league for a few years and subsequently NBA games.

For someone jumping in at this point what are some tips to get the most out of the modes?

I play a lot of MLB The Show and custom rosters are essential for me to enjoy most of the modes, as are getting the sliders/settings just right for things like simulated stats and in game stats. I'm sure there are some people on GAF that are deep into NBA 2K that know what's up.

SRTtoZ

OK, so I bought this with the B2G1 from Amazon. I like Basketball, but havent followed the league for a few years and subsequently NBA games.

For someone jumping in at this point what are some tips to get the most out of the modes?

I play a lot of MLB The Show and custom rosters are essential for me to enjoy most of the modes, as are getting the sliders/settings just right for things like simulated stats and in game stats. I'm sure there are some people on GAF that are deep into NBA 2K that know what's up.

Ok, well first things first, make sure when you install the game it FULLY installs. At first it will only let you play a quick game, which is like a demo mode, but after it installs (takes a while), back out of the game, close it and re-start it so you get all the modes.

Then from there go to Training camp and do EVERY tutorial. You dont need to memorize the moves but just do it to get comfortable. Then from there start up a Mycareer or MyGM (depending if you want to play as a made up person, or you want to be the GM and control a real team). You can always run scrimmage games or practice to get the hang of things, and you will probably lose a lot, but dont give up. The moment when you come from behind and win at the last second will hook you.

Other than that, probably start off on rookie difficulty and if you find it too easy move up to Pro and go from there. Have fun, enjoy it, and remember to watch replays because they are oozing goodness visually.

Edit: Oh if you want the most realistic sliders, keep an eye on Operationsports 2k forum, they put a lot of work into those but the standard set sliders in this version are PRETTY damn good. I had to adjust ones in games prior but these settings so far have a good balance.

Edit2: I fixed all my images that are posted in this thread to the original size! So go back and check them out if you haven't. Had no idea you could enable them full size with a quick URL change.

Zinthar

Well, not enough people bought All-Pro Football 2K8. It had flaws but the animation was nice & smooth. It would have been nice to see it develop over the years.

If 2K got the license for the NFL now, it would take a while to get a good game put together.

Certainly it would take some time, but we've waited a long time and could wait some more to actually get a great NFL game again.

My bigger concern is who were the key people responsible for the NFL 2K series being so far ahead of its time (particularly 2K4 & 2K5 -- although 2K8 played well too)? Do those people still work for Visual Concepts after all this time? I suppose I could believe that considering that the quality of NBA 2K improved heavily after they were forced out of making the NFL game.

It's not guaranteed that they could pick up with where they left off after all of this time. But after playing current gen Madden 14 and reading about the PS4 version, it'd be hard for VC to do any worse.

Cels

The animations are as real as they're going to get with our current technology. Its not that simple to have *perfect* animations when you have to simulate 10 players on the court at the same time all reacting in real time.

And yes, 4 players under the basket is pretty damn funny lol, I didnt even notice. I ran baseline and did a reverse dunk, maybe they all followed me :p

I'm not asking for perfection. I'm asking for improvement. We had the same hoverhand situation back in NBA 2K1 on the Dreamcast. Here we are 13 years later and we still have it. Your Amare screenshot shows it, the Chandler dunk shots from the first page show it, I'm sure a multitude of other screenshots show it. It's not unique to 2K or even NBA games. Madden has forever had this problem where there the football often appears to be magnetized to a player's hands.

anddo0

This game has been a terrible experience for me so far. The base game is pretty good, up to 2K standards. But when you start looking at the menus and other features. It feels like a rush job.

Now, the patch.. Prior to downloading the patch. I had no issues, other than the missing online options.. Post patch, my game is pretty much broken. I get sound issues, the game pauses in the menus, and the online feature is still no where to be found.

I've tried deleting the game data, and pretty much everything 2K related from the hard drive. Before I went to sleep, I let the game install from the PS home screen. I went to bed in hopes that PS+ would auto update the patch. I'll be checking on this in a bit.

Can someone take a screenshot of where the online mode is supposed to be?
I can't believe I have to ask such a thing. Again, rush job.

XxCGSxX

Ok couple of quick questions since psn is not letting me load the area were the online manual is located.
What button is the manual time out?
What button is the manual late game fouling?
Where is the option to set the default camera angle? can't find it on the options from the main menu. Thanks!

So many baffling decisions here.

Can't save a roster without uploading it to 2k servers and you have to download it everytime you want to use it.

No defensive settings (i.e play this guy close, back off this guy)

The entire menu system.

It's like how do you fuck these things up. There was NO need to change it. The hell?

WTF are these things all true? you can't fucking set individual defensive settings? also i heard you can't create players for custom rosters (can only create your myplayer player, no one else). that can't be legit, can it? i guess it's a perfect way to ensure people buy the game every single year if it is but my favorite part of 2k is downloading custom old teams like barkley's suns and making amazing franchises based off them..

Can anyone confirm this:
dukVypu.png

If yes, this probably deserves it's own thread.

I can 100% confirm that. I said this earlier but I was watching a stream and I saw multiple times it say at the top right of people's games "voice command not recognized." So I guess it has it but no one really used it yet, or at least any gameplay I saw.

I did see one stream where someone was playing the game and he cursed. The game then gave him an "inappropriate language" foul.

I can 100% confirm that. I said this earlier but I was watching a stream and I saw multiple times it say at the top right of people's games "voice command not recognized." So I guess it has it but no one really used it yet, or at least any gameplay I saw.

I did see one stream where someone was playing the game and he cursed. The game then gave him an "inappropriate language" foul.

that is amazing

absolutely terrible

but still hilarious

BadAss2961

Ha, that's clever.

But yeah, the PS4 in general supports voice command.

newsguy

Guys can anyone confirm that it's impossible to play this game online right now? I got it at midnight launch and every time it makes me accept the policies it says the 2k servers are down.

Guys, guys. Does this not have a create a player mode? I'm not talking my player, but CAP that let's you create multiple players? Just started playing last night and the game is beautiful, but no CAP is an absolute deal breaker for me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think the big problem for All Pro is they pointlessly spent all that money on licensing out a bunch of old football players and has-beens which probably drove up the price to a $60 game. They can't win head to head wiht Madden w/o the NFL, but if they had positioned it as a $20 XBLA/PSN title with all of the emphasis focusing on customization and online leagues, I think they could carve out a niche. Just throw in a to of social features and make online leagues and franchises super easy to manage.

Yep, completely agree. But then we might not see the same quality as NBA2k being poured into a $20 downloadable game.

I'd love for 2k to give it another try with football but instead of licensing old players make current players and just omit their names, numbers only. Then allow for custom rosters. The guys over at Operation Sports would take care of the rest for us.

Posted a page back...someone on reddit who owns the camera said that he got called from a technical foul for cursing after a play:

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qqkzv/nba2k14_ps4/

Mind BLOWN if true.

Hahaha that's nice. lol

Guys, guys. Does this not have a create a player mode? I'm not talking my player, but CAP that let's you create multiple players? Just started playing last night and the game is beautiful, but no CAP is an absolute deal breaker for me.

how can they ensure that you buy 2k15 without taking out the feature to add new/old players? classic grab you by the balls move. they know the feature missing wouldn't be big news pre launch. and all the loyal fans that grab 2k will definitely be back next year for that new addition. pretty low thing to leave out, of all things. textbook screwjob right there.

Lexxism

How to do I put sleeves etc on my player? I remember doing that yesterday but I can't find now. Also, how do I change my number? :lol

how can they ensure that you buy 2k15 without taking out the feature to add new/old players? classic grab you by the balls move. they know the feature missing wouldn't be big news pre launch. and all the loyal fans that grab 2k will definitely be back next year for that new addition. pretty low thing to leave out, of all things. textbook screwjob right there.

Yeah, I'm feeling a lot like Bret Hart this morning. I think I'm going to trade the game in for NFS: Rivals on principle alone.

Derrick01

Banned

Note to self: When you play the game turn that setting off before you get everyone ejected by the 3rd quarter.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
All I see are tattoos, change name etc. I can't see the sleeves etc

Ok, I'm talking about "My Career" when you are on the plane or whatever press "O" to get in the 2k menus and go to My player. That's where it was for me. I could choose undershirt, sleeves, what kind of shoes I wanted ect..

Yeah. My cousin has been trying to figure out all the voice commands. You can call for clear outs, Isos, screens, pick-and-rolls, ect. You can tell the computer to intentionally fouls someone, ect. And yes, if you object too strongly with an expletive, you can get a Tech.

I am loving this game. Now since I have found a better camera, I am really loving it.

I normally play with Broadcast Camera. But it feels like I am a little too far away from the action this year. So I went to Broadcast Generic, which allows you to edit the broadcast camera.

I zoomed in 2 clicks, and wow. You can see the faces better, you are right in on the action but can still see the half court. It made a big difference for me.

Smokey

This game has been a terrible experience for me so far. The base game is pretty good, up to 2K standards. But when you start looking at the menus and other features. It feels like a rush job.

Now, the patch.. Prior to downloading the patch. I had no issues, other than the missing online options.. Post patch, my game is pretty much broken. I get sound issues, the game pauses in the menus, and the online feature is still no where to be found.

I've tried deleting the game data, and pretty much everything 2K related from the hard drive. Before I went to sleep, I let the game install from the PS home screen. I went to bed in hopes that PS+ would auto update the patch. I'll be checking on this in a bit.

Nba today, press circle and it will open up online menu.

Servers are down though. A regular 2k occurance

For new players -- Go to NBA Today, press circle, and it opens up an overlay with online modes, practice, Training camp etc. I would suggest going to the training camp and doing all of the drills. This will help you get familiar with the controls. They can be pretty complex.

They hid Online, lol, or at least it appears so until I stumbled upon it. You click on that NBA Today or whatever, its the very top menu when you are on the main menu. It will not appear until the game has completely installed.

When you click it, it will open up all the stats, scores, news and updates around the NBA, it is a pretty slick page. Simply hit CIRCLE to back out of that screen, it takes you to a menu.

Here you will find ONLINE and Blacktop. Just pick what you want. It is weird where they put it.

Game looks great. Pretty disappointing that the load times look like they are just as horrible as they have been on the past gen though. What is it with all of these visually amazing sports games (MLB The Show, 2k basketball) having such ungodly long load times for every single action that you want to take?

Lexxism

Ok, I'm talking about "My Career" when you are on the plane or whatever press "O" to get in the 2k menus and go to My player. That's where it was for me. I could choose undershirt, sleeves, what kind of shoes I wanted ect..

Wow. I can't find that menu. All I see are: player upgrades > purchase > social media > mycareer > nba.com > stats/standings > settings > the park > exit.

Ugh, I can't really find it. Anyway, thank you for your help.

Quick question, I've been getting my ass handed to me pretty often by the computer as I slowly learn the controls. Is there anything you can do on defense to set up double teams, or change defensive schemes to a zone or anything like that? I ran through the turtorial and didn't see anything. Also, I am confused as to how to run an offensive set. It says hold down L1 and follow the prompts, but I don't see any prompts, what am I looking for.

I ran the tutorial and same thing.

Quick question, I've been getting my ass handed to me pretty often by the computer as I slowly learn the controls. Is there anything you can do on defense to set up double teams, or change defensive schemes to a zone or anything like that? I ran through the turtorial and didn't see anything. Also, I am confused as to how to run an offensive set. It says hold down L1 and follow the prompts, but I don't see any prompts, what am I looking for.

if it's like any other 2k basketball game ever, you should figure out how to change to the 1-3-1 zone and control the PF, play the passing lanes. turns you into a godmode team defensively no matter who you are. the man defense is never really that good, i have no idea how it is in next gen though, i'm interested in people saying if it's changed for the better?

Smokey

Hold L1 to double team

Press left on the Dpad to change your defensive schemes. Press left on offense sets up your offensive strategy.

To Call a play press L1. You should see icons above the players heads. Press the button for whomever. It will then open up a sub menu where you can call a play for that player.

Top Bottom