• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K15 |OT| Everyone picks Cleveland

Am I doing something wrong, how come when shooting a jumper from the near side it's almost always a bank shot? Since when does Kobe take so many bank shots? Am I shooting wrong or what? Like every jumper from the near side of the court is a bank shot.

I think if you hold down L2 that might do it

So peeps are thinking 2k14 looked better? I didn't own 2k14 for PS4, but I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed in the graphics. I had 2k14 for PS3, and this of course looks better, but it hasn't blown me away.

So peeps are thinking 2k14 looked better? I didn't own 2k14 for PS4, but I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed in the graphics. I had 2k14 for PS3, and this of course looks better, but it hasn't blown me away.

Compare the graphics of just the 2k14 dancers...2k15 is much better. Menus light years better. If anything the gameplay graphics are at worse...equal.

Lrrr

The 2K14 player models and court lighting for the PS4/XB1 were far and away better than 2K15; not the last-gen versions. That said, I think 2K15 plays better...so far.

As for my promised Olajuwon pics (sorry for the compression) - here's what he looks like from a distance.
iDUKXana6Jpkq.jpg

But when you zoom in, you can see it's the way the lighting hits him that gives his mustache and beard its grey appearance.
ibhhjuwW8qEMtX.jpg

Tried getting the Park going with Smokey

He told me he turned his PS4 off at 12:13. Saw his guy still there

His guy took 6 minutes to finally disappear lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Servers are finally stable, sweet I can finally make some MyTeam progress and unlock some packs. Oh the auction house is down for maintenance...oh that includes the pack store what?

Megatron

I'm dissapointed to hear the graphics are worse this year. I held off on 2k14 because the second game on new consoles is traditionally where you see the generational leap. Well only 363 days or so until 2k16.

AcridMeat

Banned
Elfrid Payton IS Danny Brown
Those 89-90 Cav jerseys kill me. Also now I've got a backcourt with two #4s, a #3 center, #5 power forward, #6 and #2 on the bench. I don't know who the hell I'm passing to ever. Oh and two #20s.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Had 14 on PS4 and have this one on PC, there is definitely a downgrade in visuals.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but the stadiums feel tiny, they make the gameplay cams look like toys playing in a shoebox. Also seems to be no real time lighting this year. Makes the stadiums look dead.

And while there are improvements visually where needed (tattoos are higher res this year, sweat looks better), there's some bugs with the hair, the eyes as seen above and nearly every classic player looks so much worse than last year. The whole classic Spurs team looks like they belong in another game, all tall, gangly and the faces are bad.

Even someone like AI has had a downgrade... (I think there's less polys in the game, wonder if the next gen engine coming to PC and possible performance differences with Xbone and PS4 had something to do with it)

2K14
1402953_1441047596115599_574339213_o.jpg

2K15
10633464_1579391325614558_3146091619562471130_o.jpg
That looks like some kind of bug. The PC shots don't look that bad.

Not a bug. That's what most of the classic players look like. (ignore the resolution, that's a compressed pic)

The current teams are fine, but there is definitely a downgrade. Cloth physics toned down, lighting is stale and dull and the court lighting, reflections and hazy stadiums (as unrealistic as it may have been) are all removed from last year.

I'm really pissed off and would never have bought the game if I knew. It's only logical to expect any sort of improvement in an engine and general visuals with a new version. But even more so given 2K14 was the first attempt on the next gen engine.

But to have actually had the visuals scaled back for whatever damn reason is just BS.

Warablo

The graphics are downgraded from last year but it isn't too bad. They must have had to make some changes for things..

Yes, I regret buying it because I haven't even been able to play my friend online since launch. Wish I could get a refund somehow. (digital)

The game feels improved in terms of gameplay in small areas but the graphics took a hit, and missing some things.

v1ncelis

Is there's a way to remove headbands from players? Can't find it. Not a big dead but still not sure why Damian Lillard wears one because I have never saw him wearing it in a actual game.

cacophony

Do not play for the magic in myplayer. seriously

I have like 2 assists in 10 games lmao. wide open layup? brick. wide open three? brick. they also dont seem to understand the 'roll' part in pick and roll.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair

I have like 2 assists in 10 games lmao. wide open layup? brick. wide open three? brick. they also dont seem to understand the 'roll' part in pick and roll.

I can say the same with the Timberwolves. The team can be up by like 15 I get subbed out. When I come back in the game, the team is down or tied. Doesn't matter if I go 35/5/5 if my teammates can't make open shots.

So... visual downgrade, horrible sound-track, non-functional online play (for now), some modes still nonsensically tied to always being online, VC is still there.

On the plus side...improved menus, better on court spacing, improved AI, VC may not be as intrusive, ability to save rosters locally (no-brainer feature should never have been removed).

Did I miss anything on the plus or minus column?

damn, it looks worse than last year? That is bogus.

Taking pics of players up close and with DOF on you won't notice it. The image quality is still superb.

But if you compare gameplay camera from 14 to 15 there's a noticeable difference for sure.

It's also not the first time NBA 2K has downgraded in their cycle. 2K10 looked better than 14. I actually think 10 was possibly the beginnings of this next gen engine. I still have it on Steam and it has far better IQ, lighting, textures than recent versions. The community at NLSC forums have said this for a while too.

Anyone with a good memory of the series will also remember at one stage (forget which year) they actually implemented gradual sweat spots on the jerseys. This hasn't been seen again.

Again, it doesn't look bad. Just not as good as last year. Which, given your studio is called Visual Concepts and you pride yourself on technical, visual achievements, it's just a kick in the guts to your fans who keep you in a job that you would scale back the graphics.

Did I miss anything on the plus or minus column?

+ Controls feel a bit smoother, more responsive
+ Some better off ball collision and animations
+ Some of the awkward close range animations are gone/improved
+ Player movement in general looks more like a real game and less a bunch of AI videogame characters

- Commentary getting progressively worse
- New presentation feels rushed and buggy. Ernie Johnson and Shaq look like puppets (same as Doris Burke), way out of place. But their audio is worse. It cuts off a previous sentence unfinished before piecing in the next one and there only seems to be a handful of lines.
- The hair on some players is weird and annoying. The fuzzy, transparent sections almost glow (Jeremy Lin, Derek Rose etc) and it's visible during gameplay cameras.

cripterion

damn, it looks worse than last year? That is bogus.

It definitely doesn't for me.

And agree that presentation is worse even if they got shaq and earnie. Also did they remove the cut to the real shot of a stadium view?
And yeah that hair bug is freaking annoying, looks awful.

What I dislike is presentation taking a backseat just cause of all the myplayer stuff. Just make another game just with myplayer, mypark separated from the main game and make the real NBA game as good as it can be. You include a fake coach analyzing the game at half time but can't do a proper half time show for the real NBA games? Pshhhht

Ok I am still annoyed as hell that 2k's servers aren't right but I will say I am deeply pleased about this....

After you finish your 2nd ten day contract, you have the ability to choose which games to play and you can sim the rest. it even shows you how much VC you get for playing the game (I think it's the starting point)

WHAT I'VE WANTED FOR YEARS

The current teams are fine, but there is definitely a downgrade. Cloth physics toned down, lighting is stale and dull and the court lighting, reflections and hazy stadiums (as unrealistic as it may have been) are all removed from last year.

Honestly, cloth physics needed to be toned down. The jerseys and shorts would ripple and wrinkle like they were made of silk in 2K14, that's just not how it should be. I haven't played enough of 2K15 yet to notice, but if they've been toned down, then good.

The lighting is definitely dulled down from last year, here's a comparison (using random videos on Youtube):

On-court reflections are really the only thing I think is going on here and I'm fine with it, they're a bit ridiculous in 2K14 as-is.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ok I am still annoyed as hell that 2k's servers aren't right but I will say I am deeply pleased about this....

After you finish your 2nd ten day contract, you have the ability to choose which games to play and you can sim the rest. it even shows you how much VC you get for playing the game (I think it's the starting point)

Yup, got signed for the rest of the season with Toronto.......we are playoff bound for sure in the weak East. Cannot wait to get home to play more, I am actually REALLY liking the skill point system being in packages this year....makes planning out my character more fun and challenging.

Into

Has anyone completed the first year in MyCareer? How is the free agency, what choices do you have?

I am really curious

Another year where I go in determined to try to enjoy the game on Broadcast view, but end up going back to 2K cam. I just can't play this game on Broadcast. Some of the more advanced dribbling moves and shot types are impossible to pull off on Broadcast.

The problem is the game looks much better and more atmospheric on Broadcast.

Not sure is visuals are downgraded, or if they toned things like the lighting down so that it looks more realistic. It still looks great.

However, I think I'm reaching the end of my rope with sports games. I used to be able to enjoy them, but now they just feel like there is really no point in playing them. NBA 2K15 is a joy to play, but I feel like I should be playing other games.

Onemic

tbh 2k14 vs 2k13 didnt even look like that much of a huge visual upgrade compared to the first 2k's for 360/ps3. More like the textures and resolution were upped, but many of the core things that really make a game stand out visually compared to previous gen counterparts(lighting, shaders, etc.) werent improved by that much.

I mean that Hakeem pic straight up looks like the result of a high res texture pack being applied to something that wasnt originally high res in the first place.

RS4-

Yeah, the VC is the the minimum you get on top of whatever you earn in game. Simulating gets you nothing unless your player manages to get some achievements (10-5, double double, etc)

Not being able to skip those video sessions is another annoyance.

Double D

It sucks that all the sneakers aren't proportioned correctly. Everything is higher than it needs to be. Lows look like mids, mids are high, and high tops are like cowboy boots. It's like they used the Kobe 9 high as a reference point.

That's who I ended up with and I've be able to average about 5 assists a game.

Bacon

Can I get some offline association impressions? That is pretty much exclusively what I play so if that is an upgrade the online issues don't bother me much.

Yeah, the VC is the the minimum you get on top of whatever you earn in game. Simulating gets you nothing unless your player manages to get some achievements (10-5, double double, etc)

Not being able to skip those video sessions is another annoyance.
If you make another my player, you can actually skip most of the shitty cut scenes. But I guess they force us to watch all the trash at least once

RS4-

I've got a few more games to the playoffs, where I believe I'll be eliminated in the first round. So I'll post once I get there.

I'm about to get swept by the Cavs because the shit AI screwed me out of first place.

If you make another my player, you can actually skip most of the shitty cut scenes. But I guess they force us to watch all the trash at least once

Ah, thanks. Hopefully that means you can skip all that shit in the second year. Still, should let you skip it the second time you even see these scenes, especially the ones where you don't have any dialog options.

Mik317

Of course the unscanned faxes will look worse.

I also imagine the fact that mote players are scanned this year caused the slight downgrade.

So it looks like you can earn more attribute points or whatever the hell it is, instead of the original 75. After I got my second 10-day contract I got another one (Which let me become a...LEVEL 8 ATHLETE), but I also have no idea how to unlock more.

Seems like 100 is the max.

Wow trying to use that player scan is an adventure in itself. I keep coming out looking like Taj Gibson with 2 mouths and a melting face:/

ViciousDS

Banned
So it looks like you can earn more attribute points or whatever the hell it is, instead of the original 75. After I got my second 10-day contract I got another one (Which let me become a...LEVEL 8 ATHLETE), but I also have no idea how to unlock more.

Seems like 100 is the max.

Badges boost stats beyond the 89 skill limit if I remember correctly. So those in the park at level 89....probably will stay that way unless they actually spend time in MyCareer playing the story and getting badges for doing activities.

I'm about to get swept by the Cavs because the shit AI screwed me out of first place.

Ah, thanks. Hopefully that means you can skip all that shit in the second year. Still, should let you skip it the second time you even see these scenes, especially the ones where you don't have any dialog options.
It's really bad when you play the cavs, the game goes out of its way to whoop you-_-
Cool man, i really hope you get tons of options and get to play the market
I'm hoping too, I keep an eye on the team interest chart and the percentages are going up. Got my eye on the knicks, they started at like 7% and ice got them up to 30%. But I've got some bum teams chasing me at 50-55% :(
Damn dude think positively. West or East?
East, it's the fact that my team(Pistons) doesn't have a real scorer besides me when it comes down to the wire. Also the brain dead ai, which is worse than previous years. I don't know how but 2k did it.

Badges boost stats beyond the 89 skill limit if I remember correctly. So those in the park at level 89....probably will stay that way unless they actually spend time in MyCareer playing the story and getting badges for doing activities.

Actually, I don't think Badges boost your overall attribute, you just get very specific boosts when you're doing something in game. But you might be right I'm not sure. I basically thought those were the new 'signature skills'

If you're allowed 25 more upgrade points, I imagine that will take you to 99.

So once you start getting my player going past the 10-day contracts it seems like this is how it works

I play on HOF so if a game says "350 VC" which is the salary you earn for finishing that game, you'll get 700 for completing it (HOF multiplier is 2X) Anything you do in game is separate and then added on top of that

Top Bottom