• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K16 |OT| This Time With Less Cheese

hbkdx12

So yvettes last name actually isn't mingching. It's mendenhall.

Had a reporter ask me when i was gonna propose in the post game conference.

Started a second player an outside PG I intend on skipping every cutscene and asking out of every game except College.

They have made the first whole season completely pointless when it comes to actually playing basketball.

Tubobutts

Started a second player an outside PG I intend on skipping every cutscene and asking out of every game except College.

They have made the first whole season completely pointless when it comes to actually playing basketball.

I really wish they would let you skip straight to the second season after you did it once.

Ryne

There is supposed to be a day one patch I read on OPSPORTS. Hopefully it addresses some of these issues.

Wow I just noticed why my gmg vc code wasn't working; it's a vc code for 2k15....did I just not read the fine print and got screwed? That's really stupid!

Ryne

Pre-Purchase Offer
Pre-Order Now to receive: 35,000 VC for NBA 2K15 (instant download)*; Digital download on Friday, September 25 (4 days before standard release on September 29); 10,000 Virtual Currency; MyTEAM VIP with 3 Emerald packs each with a guaranteed Emerald player.

*Receipt of NBA 2K15 VC bonus requires copy of NBA 2K15 PC and user account to redeem. Virtual Currency Locker code delivered upon launch of 2K15 after pre-purchase of 2K16.

It does say 2K15 on the steam page.

Wow what the heck that can't be right!

The only thing for 2K15 was the 35K VC

For 2K16 you were supposed to get...

Standard - 10K VC and 3 MyTeam packs with an Emerald player each

Jordan - 30K VC and 3 MyTeam packs with an Emerald player each plus a special Jordan "Moments" card....Jordan t-shirt, shoes, and jersey for MyPlayer

ViciousDS

Banned
it's official GAF, I hit the sports game fatigue.....I can't keep playing this. I love basketball and all the changes brought to 2k. But after grinding my way to HOF for both 2k14 and 2k15.....it seems I must take a break finally.

For the standard issuers that don't get the early pack, I haven't even used mine and will gladly give it away. I will probably end up trading my game in or selling it. But yes, it saddens me to hit this road block. I knew it was coming after RttS did nothing earlier for me this earlier this year sports wise. But after 6-7 years of basketball games, I need to let it sit and stew before I pick up another.

BroBot

I'm voting Vic for most-annoying character in a video game... This story needs choices. Seriously. I can't stand him.

hbkdx12

Some many lil unskippable cutscenes are starting to add up and become frustrating.

Why can't immediately skip watching my guys in the hundle after a timeout and get straight back to the action?

Why do i have to wait till pretty much the whole team walks into the locker room at half time before i can skip?

There are times where it'll highlight the player i'm matched up against but will glitch out and not display their strengths/weaknesses and i have no choice to but just idly wait for about 15 seconds before it go back to the action because i can't skip through it.

IMACOMPUTA

Story was the dumbest cringiest waste of time non important piece of shit ever. Why did they need spike lee for that garbage?

Getting frustrated with my teammates never giving me the ball when I have an open path to the basket.

The grind is so real. Shit.

Ensoul

It would be a miracle if I could get though an all star team up game without:

Someone calling a timeout within 1 minute if the first quarter.

Players leaving.

People taking every bad shot possible just to score.

GRaider81

Im going by my player impressions that I might go back to my preferred Franchise mode this year. Have concentrated on myplayer last few years as its been a decent breadth of fresh air for modes like these in sports games.

Sounds as though it has taken some crazy sidestep this year though. Seems a terrible decision on many levels not least the fact ypu cant really play as "you"

BroBot

Don Pagnotti saved the worthless story to some extent. Also in the after credits, Spike says "I've never done this before." ... Well please never do this again. But now that rookie season is over, MyCareer is much better with more options opened. I'm excited.

WTF How? They said it was going to be sort of impossible to hit 99 so how the hell did they get that high?

Wow.... Operation Sports is going to have to definitely explain this..

You can still get to 99 but those people apparently have done nothing but 2k.

You can buy your way to an 88 but after that you have to spend 5 off-season days to get an extra one---so they probably just fouled out on purpose in those games and have been on a grind to get to 99.

ViciousDS

Banned

You can buy your way to an 88 but after that you have to spend 5 off-season days to get an extra one---so they probably just fouled out on purpose in those games and have been on a grind to get to 99.

foul and real life money grind. No way to get 99 even close to that fast without spending money. People wonder why so much shit is tied to real life currency and its because of these 800k-1mil pack openings and shit. I mean holy fuck 1mil VC.....thats $250 worth of VC! That's just one person! Not to mention the money the dropped on MyCareer as well for stats and clothing.

Z3M0G

So any impressions from people who played 2K14 but skipped 2K15? That will be my story if I jump in...

How are the menu's this time around? Still terrible? Or did they smooth that out since '14?

Story was the dumbest cringiest waste of time non important piece of shit ever. Why did they need spike lee for that garbage?

Getting frustrated with my teammates never giving me the ball when I have an open path to the basket.

The grind is so real. Shit.

I actually want to play this game FOR the story... more than anything. I'm not into Sports Games, but I am thinking of approaching this more like a Story Driven RPG. Does that make any sense to anyone here? Would someone like me appreciate the story scenes, since I won't want to just skip over them and get to more BBall?

When you get to your second season you can change it in the options menu. Some people will still call you Freq, but during the games they'll call you by the new one.

I saw some of the cutscenes on youtube and thought everyone was calling you "Freak"... lol

I know about the Frequency Vibrations name... but find it odd that they went with that when people call you "Freak" for short.

Edit: Also, I'm TOTALLY playing this on the easiest difficulty this time around... I know you get less VC, but if it allows me to win more and shine as a player, it'll totally be worth it. I have no interest in getting into all the sliders and shit that I know are there... I want to keep things simple as possible.

I just got into a game and my Heat were wearing retro unis, this is cool. In years past it never changed although I wish we could choose the unis.

jmizzal

When you get to your second season you can change it in the options menu. Some people will still call you Freq, but during the games they'll call you by the new one.

Didnt know that nice

also if you start your career over do you lose your rating?

I have to Jordan addition and I dont want to start over and lose all the VC I put into my character

Also
I hope they patch in where you can sim a game in mycareer without skipping off days

the fact that 2K has still yet to say one official thing about the missing pre-order/Jordan Edition items on PC after god knows how many people have sent in support tickets and talked about the problem makes me think they aren't going to do anything to fix it and we're all just screwed on this

my Twitter account is starting to get full of "Please send a ticket etc" tweets from 2K support and then getting completely ignored when I tell them I've already given them my ticket days ago

I was an idiot and negotiated on all three of my free agency offers three times and they all got pulled. I'm screwed aren't I? The Suns offered me good money and minutes but I figured the worst that could happen would be them giving me the same offer and not improving it again, but I rage closed the game when I saw all three offers get pulled. Im gonna have to accept some shit offer when I reboot my game tonight aren't I?

Coppanuva

So any impressions from people who played 2K14 but skipped 2K15? That will be my story if I jump in...

How are the menu's this time around? Still terrible? Or did they smooth that out since '14?

I actually want to play this game FOR the story... more than anything. I'm not into Sports Games, but I am thinking of approaching this more like a Story Driven RPG. Does that make any sense to anyone here? Would someone like me appreciate the story scenes, since I won't want to just skip over them and get to more BBall?

I went from 2k14 to this, huge upgrade. Defense feels so much better, making a shot (in the start of MyCareer) is tough for me and I feel good when I get one. Catching a rebound gives nice feedback, overall it's a huge improvement.

In terms of Menus it's... eh. They haven't done a ton to cut down the absurd number, but a lot of the options like social media stuff feels better and is easier to see how it actually works.

In terms of a story-driven RPG... uhhh... maybe? The characters aren't really fleshed out well nor are they given good traits, they're all kinda a mess really.

I was an idiot and negotiated on all three of my free agency offers three times and they all got pulled. I'm screwed aren't I? The Suns offered me good money and minutes but I figured the worst that could happen would be them giving me the same offer and not improving it again, but I rage closed the game when I saw all three offers get pulled. Im gonna have to accept some shit offer when I reboot my game tonight aren't I?
If you rebooted while still negotiating you're ok

I accidentally took an offer from the Knicks and GTFO right away

There is supposed to be a day one patch I read on OPSPORTS. Hopefully it addresses some of these issues.

The patch was available for those who pre-order the game. There is supposed to be a Roster update that covers a lot of issues. They can address gameplay through this method now, without going through patch certification.

I think the performances of the voice actors in the story is actually pretty great. They deserve praise for doing so well with such a bad script. But man, the story is cheesy as hell and gets in the way of the game. It worked in Fight Night because the story complimented the game and never felt like it tried to get too complex for itself. Here it just feels like Spike Lee wanted to have a TV show but he had to work on a basketball game instead.

They probably bought a bunch of VC

But that's the thing.. You can buy a bunch of VC but you stop at 72 upgrades.. How are people getting past that threshold? I'm not understanding this lol?

Miracle

But that's the thing.. You can buy a bunch of VC but you stop at 72 upgrades.. How are people getting past that threshold? I'm not understanding this lol?

In your 2nd season, there is a thing called "live practice" where you can increase the amount of upgrades. You do these live practices on your off days.

You start out at a max of 75, and once you pick a team after the shitty movie is done, you have "off-days" where you can train your guy on days where you don't play. The more off-days you spend, the more progress you build to your next attribute. Your other options are shit like "Hang out with teammates/fans" or "Build connections" neither of which I gave a shit.

Also, you only have to play the game right before an off-day. You can skip the first of a B2B if you want, but you HAVE to play the game---2k can tell if you did "Sim to end" and then they'll force you to skip the next off day, so just be aware of that.

To get attribute point #76, you have to spend 2 off days, and after that, it takes 5 off days. So sometimes to get your next point, you'll have to play 3, usually 4, sometimes 5 NBA games. Just like a real NBA player, when you see multiple off days consecutively (I've had 3 and 4), it is a beautiful thing lol.

So far I've earned 7 extra attribute points doing the mode (Which means I've spent 32 off days training), so I have a max of 82 attribute points. I am going to try and grind so I get the remaining 18 by the weekend, but the coach has made me a starter so even though I'm doing 6 minute quarters to get this done ASAP, it'll take a while.

The one I hate most is Game-OD-Game-OD-Game-OD-Game-OD-Game-OD, meaning there's no multiple off-days and you have to play 5 in a row.

So for instance, my point guard build will eventually have maxed out everything except in rebounding, and based on last year's version, that will get you to a 99, but who knows now. What positions were the 99 guys? I believe this is only possible for point guards and shooting guards. I think the other three peak at 97 or 98 but I'm not sure.

Is anyone else on Xbox One not having their screenshots and videos show up? I took several of both and they're not showing up.

Also, was the game supposed to only be available early for pre-orders? Because I've been seeing copies everywhere for the past few days. I got mine by just walking into GameStop on Saturday. I also saw copies all over Best Buy and the Microsoft Store.

Anyway, my younger brother and I have been playing it for a while. So far, it seems a lot better than 2K14 and 2K15. The AI seems a lot harder, too.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Is anyone else on Xbox One not having their screenshots and videos show up? I took several of both and they're not showing up.

Also, was the game supposed to only be available early for pre-orders? Because I've been seeing copies everywhere for the past few days. I got mine by just walking into GameStop on Saturday. I also saw copies all over Best Buy and the Microsoft Store.

Anyway, my younger brother and I have been playing it for a while. So far, it seems a lot better than 2K14 and 2K15. The AI seems a lot harder, too.

I have issues with my game not being able to stream on twitch.... Maybe its because the game isn't officially released til tomorrow...

I have issues with my game not being able to stream on twitch.... Maybe its because the game isn't officially released til tomorrow...

Well, it has happened before with other games before. Heh. Hopefully it works fine tomorrow.

At least I can still upload my videos through the YouTube app.

PrinceKee

I think the performances of the voice actors in the story is actually pretty great. They deserve praise for doing so well with such a bad script. But man, the story is cheesy as hell and gets in the way of the game. It worked in Fight Night because the story complimented the game and never felt like it tried to get too complex for itself. Here it just feels like Spike Lee wanted to have a TV show but he had to work on a basketball game instead.

I think Spike Lee wrote the original plot and then 2K wrote all the dialogue. I just don't believe this is all Spike...

for users on PC...

I just launched the game on Steam and it had a pop-up that contains the locker code needed to access the pre-order bonuses...seems like the finally got things sorted out

just input that code in Features/Options in-game where the Locker Codes option is and you'll get the bonuses

it's also on the side under CD Key in Steam now if you somehow lose the code

So mycareer, 55 overall drafted to the NBA where all other rookies like 77 overall. Did I screw up somewhere and missed some vc points? I checked after the high school and college games, but there were no vc points to spend.

So mycareer, 55 overall drafted to the NBA where all other rookies like 77 overall. Did I screw up somewhere and missed some vc points? I checked after the high school and college games, but there were no vc points to spend.

I think every myplayer starts at 55 overall. Don't start earning VC until you are in the NBA. Which leads me to...

The god awful pre-season 2 myplayer. I mean, at least I was able to skip cutscenes and sim games, but give me an option to bypass all that stuff completely. The fact that in that first NBA season, you can't even look at league stats is terrible. I thought I was missing something, but no, have to wait til season 2 to actually get to the meat of the game and see basic things like stats. Fire Spike Lee retroactively and never do anything like that again, ever.

Top Bottom