• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming into this series, Cavs fans were claiming Lebron is better than KD, Irving is better than Curry, and Thompson is at least on par with Green/Zaza.

Please show me where cavs fans were claiming these things.

do you want to remind me what site you're on when you go on these bizarre diatribes about how the internet's lowest common denominators think LCD things, bam bam? nobody on here gives a shit what a random twitter egg with "defend the land" thinks about each team's relative talent level, they care about fellow NBA GAF posters' opinions

(and anecdotally, none of my facebook friends from cleveland - numbering several hundred, since i'm from there and am moving back there in a week - came into this series thinking it would be a cavs win. so this random twitter egg has to be really fuckin' dumb)

FZZ

Banned
No.

Your Lonzo stanning is long past played out, my man. Shit's gotta stop.

Can't stop, won't stop

Follow up: Could 2001 Lakers beat this team?

I say yes

Dude, you reeeeeeaaaaaallly need some perspective on Ball, otherwise you are gonna be in for a disappointing season.

Ball is not a sure bet and I say this as

1) a Laker fan
2) a huge fan of Lonzo when he was in Westwood

I'm over exaggerating because of how much it gets people pushed to the edge, all their friends are dead

But in reality I still have a lot of faith in him, trust me I've been researching him a shit ton. I know all the potential ways he can become a legitimate bust. But there's no fun in sports being objective all the time, especially as a Lakers fan.

jfoul

At this point it's an arms race to compete against the Warriors, with the Cavs being the closest. What can they do in the off-season? Try to recruit Paul George? I'm assuming they would need to trade/move assets to make it happen.

At this point it's an arms race to compete against the Warriors, with the Cavs being the closest. What can they do in the off-season? Try to recruit Paul George? I'm assuming they would need to trade/move assets to make it happen.

he's making $19.5m in 2017-18, right? think they'd have to move shumpert ($9.6m) and frye ($7.8m) at minimum

i don't think they have the assets to make the pacers say yes

FZZ

Banned

Still think the Spurs are the closest

Kawhi being injured ruined this playoffs for many I think

Spurs vs. Warriors would have been super fun, at the very least not a sweep

bionic77

They need someone to slow down KD. Problem is there is no player in the league who can do that.

Better option is maybe to go big and see if you can beat the Warriors that way. Again though there are not any players I can think of that can do that. Center is almost a dying position in the league.

jfoul

They need someone to slow down KD. Problem is there is no player in the league who can do that.

Better option is maybe to go big and see if you can beat the Warriors that way. Again though there are not any players I can think of that can do that. Center is almost a dying position in the league.

Do you think Bogut would have made a difference for Cleveland in these Finals? It'll be interesting to see what they do with him this offseason.

EDIT: Nvm, already been waived

Tom Penny

There is nothing the Cavs can do. With KD on GS LeBron can no longer guard nobody and rest on D without KD schooling the player he guards. If LeBron guards him he'll still score twenty and wear him down.

rambis

Banned
Kyrie having a knee injury is making the rounds. Can't say I'm surprised with Klay putting clamps on them throughout the past 2 games.
Eh no excuses. He's been like this for a good portion of the post season. I said earlier I doubt its anything Klay is doing despite the raving.

RootCause

Injuries, or no injuries, the cavs weren't going to beat the Warriors this year. Last years Warriors were ridiculous, but this team is on another level.

4/5 games is all it will take. Only thing left to find out is if Cleveland's locker room will have the smell of champagne or not. lol

xrU4X.gif

(These are the dudes who made that anime fights in real life videos, right? They're awesome)

Spurs are the closest.

Yeah, not sure about this. All the overreaction about 1 half of basketball with a healthy Kawhi is getting outta hand.

Not overreacting, I legitimately think the Spurs are a better team than Cleveland. They're the best defense in the league and the Cavs can't guard shit.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, not sure about this. All the overreaction about 1 half of basketball with a healthy Kawhi is getting outta hand.

true but they're still a better team than the cavs

top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency this season, they're a much more balanced team

Bacon

You're absolutely right. I think they would've beaten the cavs too, even without Parker.

Spurs with a Paul George , and a Chris Paul would be interesting to watch. How's the cap situation with San Antonio?

Paul George and Chris Paul? Cmon son.

You're absolutely right. I think they would've beaten the cavs too, even without Parker.

Spurs with a Paul George , and a Chris Paul would be interesting to watch. How's the cap situation with San Antonio?

Bad. Pau is going to opt in so that's 16M? for a corpse. Mills, Simmons, Dedmon, Lee? are all free agents. (Think i'm forgetting someone)

Manu might or might not play next season. Parker will play, very likely on bench?, still with a "big" contract.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I get that the Spurs are good but I look at their previous 2 series before the WCF and can't confidently say they are better than the Cavs.

beat

Being "the guy" is low on the list for these guys. It's getting a chip and getting paid that matters. KD has nothing to prove. He may want to be on a dynasty or he may want a big payout. That will determine what he does more than anything.
If he wants to be on a dynasty, he'd take $32M. If he wants the absolute max he can get, he'd take $35.7M. From the Warriors. (Who else has both the cap space and the basketball situation to entice him away?)

The amount he's likely to sacrifice this summer really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. It's not even comparable to normal people's lives just by dividing the numbers involved by a thousand. At a certain income level, ten percent more makes a huge difference. At a 1%er level, giving up ten percent for one year is probably not a big deal.

And again, both by percentage and by absolute value, David West gave up more money to come to the Warriors than Durant is likely to sacrifice to this coming off-season.

RootCause

Paul George and Chris Paul? Cmon son.
A Paul/Pau team is what dream about. Lol
But, just saw the post of Pau opting in. Crazy contract they gave him.

Wonder what the Heat are planning. Tank? try to add pieces in hope they can land a star this year, and another one in two years. Right now we can't compete with the 2nd tier teams in the east let alone think about making it out of the east, and competing with the Warriors.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Cavs brought the lead back down to 4 after this. What did Curry do in this time? Hell what did he do the rest of the quarter?

5 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists.

Curry's line for the third quarter: 12 points on 50% shooting, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, +11 (highest +/- of any player in the quarter).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
5 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists.

Curry's line for the third quarter: 12 points on 50% shooting, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, +11 (highest +/- of any player in the quarter).
SO he missed half his shots? Scrub who shrinks in the moment!

finowns

Of all the basketball sport commentators Chris Broussard is just better. He needs a podcast or something.

edit - wait he might have a podcast.

Ric Flair

Banned
LeBron is the only great two way player on the Cavs and the warriors have 3. The warriors have the league's best defender in Draymond and the Cavs have a bunch of offensive minded players the suck at defending. Last year it took a miracle for the Cavs to beat them, I just dont see it happening with KD on the floor now

Jarate

Banned
I've completely flipped on Ball before watching him a lot more.

His shot release is fast enough, infinite range, great shooter. Everyone wants him to be a primary ballhandler, but he's too slow for his size to be reliable. He also sucked in the PNR and in other situations. He'll be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league though. Him with the Sixers is a match made in heaven. The Sixers pass a shit ton so he can still get assists, he doesn't need to be the primary ballhandler with Simmons around, and a lot of his defensive woes (which are overstated IMO) can be hidden with the Sixers have a guy like Covington and McConnell around to cover the best guard.

Honestly, I don't see the Lakers not taking Jackson since he and Ingram together is a nasty defense all of a sudden. I could also see them drafting Fox too, since Russell can play the 2. That backcourt would improve dramatically as well.

I still don't like the Lakers next year unless they make a trade, but

Zubaz
Randle
Ingram
Jackson
Russel

Is not a horrible starting 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom