• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

The old saying goes that there is no need to worry until you lose at home. Let's see what happens in Cleveland before calling this one, although it doesn't look good now.

Boogs31

Nearly every other Superstar would be called a frontrunner yet its justified here. Mystifying indeed.

What? You started this discussion with the claim that Curry has been inconsistent. Now you're changing it to he's a frontrunner? Did you miss the fact that he scored 15 points in the 1st quarter yesterday?

And I have another comment about your Curry disappears/inconsistent argument. Saying he is absent for stretches of the game would imply you would prefer his usage rate be higher. But that's ignoring the fact that the Warriors have Kevin Durant. They don't need Curry to have the ball in his hands all the time. Having three elite shooters/scorers who don't hog the ball makes Golden State impossible to guard. And again, even when Curry doesn't have the ball, he's making a positive impact.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Eh, that was a very small minority after the first ring.

I was a hater until literally game 6 against the Spurs. The Spurs were winning and the Heat were about to be eliminated. Before that moment the old LeBron would have become passive on offense and passed to some scrub in the corner, instead he started jacking up threes and trying to take over the game himself. Took some missed free throws, some lucky breaks and one of the greatest plays/shots I have ever seen but I feel like that was the moment he became the undisputed best player in the league. He then proved it in game 7.

Man just thinking about that game I still get goosebumps. So much fuckery went on in that fourth quarter.

I still don't know how Lebron's headband exploded off his head.
I still don't know how the Spurs bricked all those free throws
I still don't know how Ray Allen was able to get off that shot like he did
I still don't know why Heat fans left early like a bunch of idiots in an elimination game.

rambis

Banned
What? You started this discussion with the claim that Curry has been inconsistent. Now you're changing it to he's a frontrunner? Did you miss the fact that he scored 15 points in the 1st quarter yesterday?

And I have another comment about your Curry disappears/inconsistent argument. Saying he is absent for stretches of the game would imply you would prefer his usage rate be higher. But that's ignoring the fact that the Warriors have Kevin Durant. They don't need Curry to have the ball in his hands all the time. Having three elite shooters/scorers who don't hog the ball makes Golden State impossible to guard. And again, even when Curry doesn't have the ball, he's making a positive impact.
Um I didnt realize there's a difference? Yes he scored while being terrible from the field, I think I brought that up no?

Disappearing includes those wide open shots he will miss when its close and turnovers which were an issue last night.

Again the same could be said for any past superstar, that there mere prescence is a plus on the game. Doesnt change that they would be called frontrunners after putting up empty stats with building leads. You should probably look into the "check my stats" phrase if you want to understand better.

bionic77

IMO, KAJ is the GOAT and never gets his due respect.

Greatest HS player

Greatest College player

Greatest NBA player
He had some controversial* political stances. That always gets you fucked in America. Also he dominated at a time when the NBA was not really popular. I don't know if Kareem is the greatest, but I do laugh when anyone puts LeBron above him. I hate lists (they are stupid, how the fuck could anyone choose between all time greats like Ced or Kareem?) but if you are going to make lists you can't have him lower than 2. As you said he is the only guy who has a legit claim to be the greatest high school (they had to actually change the rules for him), college and pro player.

* Only controversial for America.

On 66% TS! Curry has been fiyah (really all playoffs).

Like I said after game 1 though, not sure why Cavs fans are going off the deep end already. Can't forget what happened last year until time is actually up on a fourth GS win.

Last year, Curry was injured. It is clear now by comparing his perf. this yr. VS. last yr.
Last year, Harrison Barnes completely froze up. To be replaced by possibly the best two way player in the NBA Kevin Mothafuckin Durant.
Last year, they had better defense (Delly) and didn't have liabilites like Deron Williams.
Last year, JR Smith actually gave a fuck.
Last year, Draymond didn't have the maturity he does this yr; Bogut on injured; Kyrie didn't have Durant, Klay, Draymond, healthy Steph defending him on every possesion.

Also, Lebron deserves better than Ty Lue as a coach.

Boogs31

Um I didnt realize there's a difference? Yes he scored while being terrible from the field, I think I brought that up no?

Yes those are two different things. He was 11 for 22 with 6 threes in game 1. That's 50 percent shooting without factoring in the threes. If you don't understand math, a three is worth more than 2. Six 3's is six more points than if he made Six 2's. Effective field goal percentage is a better barometer for shooting than the regular field goal percentage. If you factor in his 6 threes to his 11 for 22, it actually comes out to 14 of 22 (63.6 percent). Terrible from the field? What are you talking about.

He was 7 of 17 last night with 4 threes. Which, as far as effective field goal percentage goes, makes him 9 of 17. And that is me not even including the fact that he was 14 of 14 from the free throw line. To say Curry has been terrible from the field so far is not only false, it's delusional.

Disappearing includes those wide open shots he will miss when its close and turnovers which were an issue last night.

Again the same could be said for any past superstar, that there mere prescence is a plus on the game. Doesnt change that they would be called frontrunners after putting up empty stats with building leads. You should probably look into the "check my stats" phrase if you want to understand better.

Again, he scored 15 points in the first quarter of game 2. Also, teams have blown 10 point leads in the NBA before. Producing when you're up 10 is NOT worthless.
The Warriors have played more minutes this postseason up 10 than they've played in close situations. So you saying he only plays well when they're up 10, is actually the same thing as saying he plays well most of the time.

Lebron got the heart, but MJ wanted it more. Like I said before, put MJ on the Cavs and Warriors would have already lost the series.

Nope.

People really underestimate how valuable Pippen was to Jordan's success. Jordan ain't winning against that team "already" with JR fucking Smith as your other lockdown defender.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
2011 Finals completely and irredeemably (unless he won like 7 straight following it or something) sailed the "LeBron > MJ" ship for me. Never got to see KAJ obviously, but did get to see some of Jordan.

rambis

Banned
Yes those are two different things. He was 11 for 22 with 6 threes in game 1. That's 50 percent shooting without factoring in the threes. If you don't understand math, a three is worth more than 2. Six 3's is six more points than if he made Six 2's. Effective field goal percentage is a better barometer for shooting than the regular field goal percentage. If you factor in his 6 threes to his 11 for 22, it actually comes out to 14 of 22 (63.6 percent). Terrible from the field? What are you talking about.

He was 7 of 17 last night with 4 threes. Which, as far as effective field goal percentage goes, makes him 9 of 17. And that is me not even including the fact that he was 14 of 14 from the free throw line. To say Curry has been terrible from the field so far is not only false, it's delusional.

Again, he scored 15 points in the first quarter of game 2. Also, teams have blown 10 point leads in the NBA before. Producing when you're up 10 is NOT worthless.
The Warriors have played more minutes this postseason up 10 than they've played in close situations. So you saying he only plays well when they're up 10, is actually the same thing as saying he plays well most of the time.
Um skip the metrics class, I know efg and TS%.

We were talking about the first quarter no? Curry was 2-5 at the end of the first, 2-7 by the half when the game was at its closest plus all those turnovers. In what world is this a good percentage in anyway you slice it? As I said during the game, it was the worse 14pt half I had ever saw.

Game 1?
5-13 at the half when the game was closest.

Nobody cares about empty stats. Curry has only waken up when the team is already up. This would be called front running if it were any other player.

We talking skills? Sure, I'll concede it.
a1z6DJ0e_700wa_0.gif

VeeP

Nope.

People really underestimate how valuable Pippen was to Jordan's success. Jordan ain't winning against that team "already" with JR fucking Smith as your other lockdown defender.

Jordan would lock down Curry and Durant at the same time. Never underestimate a man who wants it more.

Im jk, just like the posts I quotelol

rambis

Banned

Jordan was a better mid range shooter and had a more fluid post game.

Lebron is a better ball handler, passer, range shooter and finisher at the rim.

Overall their differences come in their knack for the game. MJ is just the most lethal scorer to ever play at any particular moment of the game. Lebron generally takes a more logical team oriented approach. The difference is that Lebron's success is way more dependent on his teams while Jordan willed the game by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom