• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTG

I'm dead someone either made this for me, or I spoke it into existence

Lonzo Ball "XO Tour Llif3" ᴴᴰ

I don't watch any college ball, so this is the first Ball related thing I've seen outside that mix tape of his dad. My prediction if the Lakers take him? Pain.

Jacked shooting motion.
Hops? eh, not really. He's 6'6 right?
Always in a t shirt cause he's not exactly Kawhi Leonard ripped.

How's that for a scouting report?

FZZ

Banned
I don't watch any college ball, so this is the first Ball related thing I've seen outside that mix tape of his dad. My prediction if the Lakers take him? Pain.

Jacked shooting motion.
Hops? eh, not really. He's 6'6 right?
Always in a t shirt cause he's not exactly Kawhi Leonard ripped.

How's that for a scouting report?

This is one of the worst compilations of him

I literally only linked it cause of XO Tour Llif3 and it dealing with Lonzo

As for your criticisms? his jacked shooting motion shoots at a 41% clip from 3. His FG% is higher than almost all other prospects as well. His IQ and passing ability are transcendent. Have no idea what you're saying about him being ripped, dude is skinny yeah and not as athletic as prospects such as Fox or JJ, but those lobs and the speed at which UCLA ran their offense, yeah not really easy to do that if you're not athletic.

As for shooting 3's at NBA range?

QbF3IM9_d.jpg

Only other person with as many attempts and similar shooting percentages as him? Steph "Sky fucker" Curry

So far we've had a lot of no-calls from the refs so I expect some whistles being blown more often than not by Game 4. and the Cavs don't look tired at all rather playing their "style" of ball. The difference between the Cavs and Spurs is Star power and depth both are crucial if you want to beat the Warriors.

That ones good, I saw this commercial when watching Space Jam the other day
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0Z0hRUgOQ
Oh wow haven't seen that one in years!

By this time you are already down 25 because with no Love you are forced to play Frye and Thompson heavy minutes.

Or they could have Lebron playing the Draymond role. Kyrie and JR Fuckball on the backcourt, Wiggins and HGH Machine manning the forwards and Lebron at the center. That team would be down 30 by the time Lue is even able to call time.

In all seriousness though, Lebron at the Draymond role is something that would be theoretically fun to watch.

TTG

His IQ and passing ability are transcendent.

I thought they already had a young point guard with that description?

As for the rest, I guess I'll repeat myself. His shooting motion is obviously borked and his release looks slow. I guess he starts from scratch or struggles, what's his free throw percentage? It can't be good dragging the ball across his upper body like that and all kinds of floppy wrist action. To the athleticism, are his impressive dunks and blow bys in the other highlights? And he's in a t shirt because he looks like a kid.

Don't take it personally, I know nothing about college and have no rooting interest. I'm in socal too, so it's not like I would mind an improved Laker team. He just looks bad, lol.

No. Love is far more valuable the way the Cavs play to trade him for Boogie.

Replacing TT with someone better should be a priority though.

Scratch that whole thought. I'm remembering things wrong and assuming the Cavs could have just signed Love as a free agent and kept Wiggins.

They are not keeping Wiggins either way. They would just trade him for someone else then.

Lonzo's floor game is eerily similar to Jason Kidd's back when he was at Cal but Lonzo has a 3 point shot with inefficient mechanics. As for DeAngelo, I think it's weird that the Lakers want another PG but from the various articles I've read, management allegedly views him as immature (players don't like him generally) and incapable of actually leading the team.

Nafai1123

Banned
I wonder if the defensive prowess of Draymond will change the way scouts look for talent moving forward. It seems like having a defensive QB has proved invaluable to GS. I'm not sure how you would actually scout for that other than looking for high BBIQ players with a highly competitive nature and propensity for telling people what to do lol.

FZZ

Banned
I thought they already had a young point guard with that description?

As for the rest, I guess I'll repeat myself. His shooting motion is obviously borked and his release looks slow. I guess he starts from scratch or struggles, what's his free throw percentage? It can't be good dragging the ball across his upper body like that and all kinds of floppy wrist action. To the athleticism, are his impressive dunks and blow bys in the other highlights? And he's in a t shirt because he looks like a kid.

Don't take it personally, I know nothing about college and have no rooting interest. I'm in socal too, so it's not like I would mind an improved Laker team. He just looks bad, lol.

Not taking personally just a lot of bad info floating around and I think that might have affected how you (and a lot of other people) end up seeing him

And I vehemently disagree on him looking bad

Dlo has already been/is going to be relegated to the 2

His release is 0.47 sec, faster than the 0.54 NBA average. And only 0.02 seconds slower than Klay Thompson

Free throws are currently an issue for him shooting at 67%, but as Coach Nick points out it should be easily correctable and something he can work on

Yeah his dunks and blow bys are in other highlights, but that's not what makes him a great player it's his vision and passing ability. People aren't comparing him to Kidd for no reason, dude is on that trajectory.

And the dragging motion isn't an issue because he creates space or just abuses his length to make shots over guards smaller than him, which there will be a lot of because a 6'7 PG is nothing to scoff at. That in addition to his IQ means he only takes smart shots, his eFG% is the highest in this draft class and I think he was like number 2 for all PG's in the past 7 years with only Kyrie having a higher eFG% with only like 10 games?

Dude definitely has issues in breaking to his right and his midrange game is questionable, but everything else is pretty safe.

Lonzo's floor game is eerily similar to Jason Kidd's back when he was at Cal but Lonzo has a 3 point shot with inefficient mechanics. As for DeAngelo, I think it's weird that the Lakers want another PG but from the various articles I've read, management allegedly views him as immature (players don't like him generally) and incapable of actually leading the team.

DLo is not really a PG (not that positions matter all that much anymore). He's a combo guard that can easily slide over to the 2 (shoots well on catches and off the ball and with his size, length, is probably more suited to guarding bigger guards rather than speedy points). Lonzo also played well without the ball ar UCLA. He's smart when it comes to cutting towards the basket without the ball. He and Lonzo would have zero problems co-existing on offense. Defensively it's another story as neither is going to be able to guard speedy, smaller guards.

Bread

Banned
Ball

Pros: Can shoot, can pass, is tall
Cons: Mediocre handles, low release, not good in pick and roll, average athleticism, questionable defender.

His two best skills are really good but literally everything else about him is a question mark.

Tall4Life

Ball

Cons: Mediocre handles, low release, not good in pick and roll, average athleticism, questionable defender.

His two best skills are really good but literally everything else about him is a question mark.
What? While I'm flattered that you think him being me is a pro, I am not Lonzo Ball, sorry bud

Ball

That's the case with all of the guys in that draft tier though. Fox can't shoot for shit. Jackson is a questionable shooter in terms of mechanics despite getting hot towards the end of the year and also a bit of a shithead. I think of those three guys Ball has the one elite skill (his vision/passing) that will be the surest bet to translate over to the pros, making him probably the safest pick.

FZZ

Banned
Ball

He's above average athletically and it isn't a con

He is not that much of a questionable defender and that isn't a con

Like I know you're excited for Fultz, but we have the data

Also you did not list his leadership and IQ which are two fucking huge pros

I'll give you his handles, low release, and PnR being issues alongside his midrange game and pulling to the right

but everything else is pretty safe

In terms of highest ceiling in the draft JJ is still the one with the most potential, if he develops a shot he's deadly.

rambis

Banned
Reminds me a video i saw the other day about the last 2 playoffs
]
All this really tells me is that the Cavs had alot more clutch minutes in the playoffs despite the ongoing narrative of cakewalk. But I didn't need a video because I watched the games ;)

Honest question, what are you using to base the nonsensical notion that Steph Curry isn't a good clutch player? Your imagination? Steph is #2 in PPG in clutch situations in this playoffs and last year as well.
I base it off the fact that when you click your link and filter to Finals, our unamimous MVP goes from the top to literally the second worse. But alas, the amazing NBA tool won't let you really alter the parameters to get the good data.

So, I've spent about 45mins going thru the play by plays of the last 2 finals + this year and compiled some data. The parameters are, Curry FGs when the score is within 10, regardless of time left in the game. This a great deal more lenient than the typical clutch rules of 5mins left with 5pt margins. To get this is pretty simple, go to the ESPN play by play pages, expand all the quarters and Ctrl-F "Curry makes" for the makes and "Curry miss" for the misses. Then you just look to the right to see if the margin is correct. I threw this into excel then got the averages. I can upload the data points in a google docs so you all can pick thru if you want.

Curry in the Finals, score within 10:

2015 Curry made 47/103 FGs for 46% from the field
2016 Curry made 37/92 FGs for 40% from the field.
2017 so far? 9/24 FGs for 38% from the field.

These are not good clutch numbers outside of 2015. IMO Finals Curry is a real thing but alas they will likely win anyway so this will all be swept under the rug.

bionic77

Ball

All of his weaknesses can be fixed if he goes to the right situation and is willing to work.

Jarate

Banned
Not taking personally just a lot of bad info floating around and I think that might have affected how you (and a lot of other people) end up seeing him

And I vehemently disagree on him looking bad

Dlo has already been/is going to be relegated to the 2

His release is 0.47 sec, faster than the 0.54 NBA average. And only 0.02 seconds slower than Klay Thompson

Free throws are currently an issue for him shooting at 67%, but as Coach Nick points out it should be easily correctable and something he can work on

Yeah his dunks and blow bys are in other highlights, but that's not what makes him a great player it's his vision and passing ability. People aren't comparing him to Kidd for no reason, dude is on that trajectory.

And the dragging motion isn't an issue because he creates space or just abuses his length to make shots over guards smaller than him, which there will be a lot of because a 6'7 PG is nothing to scoff at. That in addition to his IQ means he only takes smart shots, his eFG% is the highest in this draft class and I think he was like number 2 for all PG's in the past 7 years with only Kyrie having a higher eFG% with only like 10 games?

Dude definitely has issues in breaking to his right and his midrange game is questionable, but everything else is pretty safe.

Lonzo will be a great off ball pg that can start a fast break and shoot lights out.

People say he needs the ball in his hands all the time to be effective, but I just don't see it working at the NBA level. His PnR is horrendous, and he's not a very good iso shooter.

I don't like his fit with the Lakers, but love his fit with philly. Honestly, if I was the Lakers, Jackson's my guy. a lieup of

Russel
Jackson
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Is young, has great length, good shooters, and good passing for the size. On the other hand

Ball
Russel
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

That is a horrid defensive lineup. You're going to get annihilated by every tema with a competent back court, and your front court isnt that much better.

I honestly do think the Lakers are going to pick Jackson, just like they "shocked" everyone by picking Russel over Okafor (Which in hindsight was a brilliant move lol)
Ball

Which is why he's going to be a 2 or an offball 1. My only though process is if the Lakers are banking on getting George next year. Ball would be good fit next to Paul George

Tall4Life

Maybe the Lakers will trade away all their young guys so they can get CP3, Paul George, LeBron when he's a free agent next year

TTG

I'm cringing at that video, why would anyone take him at number 2? Never mind what the sports science clown is saying, LOOK at that shot. It actually looks like he's right handed but is shooting from his left side, that's not gonna work. Pick up the dribble with his right, bring it way over to his left, then use his wrist to compensate... nah. Next you're gonna tell Marcus Camby has the same release time as Klay Thompson, who by the way gets way higher on his jump and doesn't need to set.

He better be Derrick Rose on his first step and hop and that first video didn't look like it at all. I don't know how you project Kidd skill and vision at pro level looking at one year of college, which was my point with the other Laker prospect, but fine. I appreciate the effort you put into that post, but a complete difference of opinion. I go with some kid who looks like Kawhi and call it a day I guess.

EDIT: I've been watching a 6'7 point guard with what has to be about the highest release point possible for 3 years(I saw him on the nets against Lebron too I suppose). That size at point without crazy athleticism is a real situational advantage. Not saying this Lonzo kid is gonna be the next Shaun Livingston, but there are some great athletes in the nba who do just fine against 6'6 players trying to body them.

Lonzo will be a great off ball pg that can start a fast break and shoot lights out.

People say he needs the ball in his hands all the time to be effective, but I just don't see it working at the NBA level. His PnR is horrendous, and he's not a very good iso shooter.

I don't like his fit with the Lakers, but love his fit with philly. Honestly, if I was the Lakers, Jackson's my guy. a lieup of

Russel
Jackson
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Is young, has great length, good shooters, and good passing for the size. On the other hand

Ball
Russel
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

That is a horrid defensive lineup. You're going to get annihilated by every tema with a competent back court, and your front court isnt that much better.

I honestly do think the Lakers are going to pick Jackson, just like they "shocked" everyone by picking Russel over Okafor (Which in hindsight was a brilliant move lol)

Which is why he's going to be a 2 or an offball 1. My only though process is if the Lakers are banking on getting George next year. Ball would be good fit next to Paul George

I don't see what is so great about a lineup that has three guys in it that can't shoot. That's a death knell in the modern NBA.

Wouldna DLo/Ball backcourt be awful defensively? Sure. But they are a young team. I don't like the idea of a terrible team drafting based on projections like that. Who knows what the lineup will look like a year or two or 3 from now.

Jarate

Banned
I'm cringing at that video, why would anyone take him at number 2? Never mind what the sports science clown is saying, LOOK at that shot. It actually looks like he's right handed but is shooting from his left side, that's not gonna work. Pick up the dribble with his right, bring it way over to his left, then use his wrist to compensate... nah. Next you're gonna tell Marcus Camby has the same release time as Klay Thompson, who by the way gets way higher on his jump and doesn't need to set.

He better be Derrick Rose on his first step and hop and that first video didn't look like it at all. I don't know how you project Kidd skill and vision at pro level looking at one year of college, which was my point with the other Laker prospect, but fine. I appreciate the effort you put into that post, but a complete difference of opinion. I go with some kid who looks like Kawhi and call it a day I guess.

The shot looks funny but it's one of the smoothest shots ive seen going into the basket.

His court vision is phenomenal, especially in transition. He's one of those players who;'s able to think 2 steps ahead.

I've completely flipped on Ball. I uised to be just like you. But just watch those shots man. Looks at his ludicrous stats and efficiency.

I don't see what is so great about a lineup that has three guys in it that can't shoot. That's a death knell in the modern NBA.

Wouldna DLo/Ball backcourt be awful defensively? Sure. But they are a young team. I don't like the idea of a terrible team drafting based on projections like that. Who knows what the lineup will look like a year or two or 3 from now.

Jackson shot 37% from 3 and 54% total. His FT% is terrible, but he's able to score the ball really well. Randle is a good scorer, Ingram should improve his shot, and Russel is a good shooter as well. That lineup would be nasty defensively as well.

Bread

Banned
That's the case with all of the guys in that draft tier though. Fox can't shoot for shit. Jackson is a questionable shooter in terms of mechanics despite getting hot towards the end of the year and also a bit of a shithead. I think of those three guys Ball has the one elite skill (his vision/passing) that will be the surest bet to translate over to the pros, making him probably the safest pick.
His shooting and passing being developed definitely makes his floor the highest of the guys left at 2, I agree with that. I don't think he has a high ceiling because
1. His shot release is broken and could give him major issues if he's being defended by long armed SGs instead of smaller PGs.
2. I doubt his handles will improve much, I can't think of many players who made big strides there.

So, I've spent about 45mins going thru the play by plays of the last 2 finals + this year and compiled some data. The parameters are, Curry FGs when the score is within 10, regardless of time left in the game. This a great deal more lenient than the typical clutch rules of 5mins left with 5pt margins. To get this is pretty simple, go to the ESPN play by play pages, expand all the quarters and Ctrl-F "Curry makes" for the makes and "Curry miss" for the misses. Then you just look to the right to see if the margin is correct. I threw this into excel then got the averages. I can upload the data points in a google docs so you all can pick thru if you want.

Curry in the Finals, score within 10:

2015 Curry made 47/103 FGs for 46% from the field
2016 Curry made 37/92 FGs for 40% from the field.
2017 so far? 9/24 FGs for 38% from the field.

These are not good clutch numbers outside of 2015. IMO Finals Curry is a real thing but alas they will likely win anyway so this will all be swept under the rug.

15956180.jpg

Jarate

Banned
His shooting and passing being developed definitely makes his floor the highest of the guys left at 2, I agree with that. I don't think he has a high ceiling because
1. His shot release is broken and could give him major issues if he's being defended by long armed SGs instead of smaller PGs.
2. I doubt his handles will improve much, I can't think of many players who made big strides there.

Ball has some of the best range in the draft. Dude basically is able to take a shot 5+ ft off of the college 3. That range opens up so much for players to drive the ball

1. His shot release his broken and could give him major issues if he's being defended by long armed SGs instead of smaller PGs.

I agree I just think those three guys are pretty similar in terms of ceiling, whereas Lonzo has a higher floor. His handle probably is what is is, but i disagree on his shot. He has a quick enough release that his wonky mechanics don't bother me. Shot selection is where he needs to improve, but maybe this is where playing off the ball and getting him open, clean catch and shoot looks might help. Compare that to Josh Jackson, whose mechanics are a mess. Lonzo's warts might prevent him from being a superstar, Jackson's and Fox's warts might make it hard for them to stay on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom