• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they might've tried to rig the game but Cavs would've won anyways based on the insane shooting?

Yes, and maybe. it certainly would have been a much better game had the early ref assist not been committed. It would have looked a lot like Game 3, only the Cavs probably would have pulled it off in the end this time.

In regards to Steph underperforming, we all know the way to slow down Steph is to hold him off-ball and throw him off rythyme. The Cavs admitted as such after last years Finals. This is a strategy entirely dependent on how the game is officiated. In game 2, the precedent was set that those fouls would be called. Steph had a surprising 10FTs in the first qtr. The result is the Cavs have to give Steph room to shed off screens and get space, which is how he gets in rythyme. This carried over into games 2 and 3. With their backs against the wall, the Cavs went back to their strategy from last year, and they were able to do so due to those fouls not being called. This is not salt, it's an argument based on previous statements from yhe Cavs and observation of the games.

That doesn't excuse Steph from missing open looks, which he did. It's not downplaying the Cavs offensive domination, which was historically amazing. It's merely an observation of how much physicality can change the efficiency of Curry.

exactly.

Even Fox news and other outlets are complaining about the officiating, so I'm not sure how it is salt to point out how bad it was and how that affects the game being played, especially when it affects one team more disproportionately than the other early on.
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...rst-in-game-4-and-thats-a-huge-problem-061017

I know we don't all agree on which calls were which, but you can't just flat out deny that the whole game was affected by constant bullshit from the officiating staff. It was a very bad look, especially for such a high profile and highly rated match-up.

VeeP

So Draymond just said that a bunch of people in Cleveland are idiots when he was asked about the draymond sucks chant last night...

First of all, congrats Raichu, you won't have to get your head shaved :D.

Second of all, the fans chanted "Draymond Sucks" and they haggled his mom. Police had to get involved. Dude's probably upset and annoyed at that, the second part mainly. Wouldn't you be?

First of all, congrats Raichu, you won't have to get your head shaved :D.

Second of all, the fans chanted "Draymond Sucks" and they haggled his mom. Police had to get involved. Dude's probably upset and annoyed at that, the second part mainly. Wouldn't you be?
I mean that's terrible but he doesn't need to generalize all of Cleveland. The ones that haggled his mom are idiots though completely childish.
Also I know right I was worried I would have too lol.

Fury451

Banned
So Draymond just said that a bunch of people in Cleveland are idiots when he was asked about the draymond sucks chant last night...

It's a bad look for Cleveland fans. Shitty fans in general would do that though, so generalizing it to Cleveland is unfortunate but understandable.

Emotions were really high last night but there's no reason to harass someone's mom like that.

VeeP

I mean that's terrible but he doesn't need to generalize all of Cleveland. The ones that haggled his mom are idiots though completely childish.
Also I know right I was worried I would have too lol.

It's a bad look for Cleveland fans. Shitty fans in general would do that though, so generalizing it to Cleveland is unfortunate but understandable.

Emotions were really high last night but there's no reason to harass someone's mom like that.

Yea, 100%. On both. This isn't specific to Cleveland, it's Sports fans in general. Something abo Sports sometimes brings out the worst in people.

It's why I laugh when I hear people attacking band wagoners, that's literally in every sport.

And I haven't read the quote but yea he shouldn't have generalized all of Cleveland if that's what happened. In the end, I guess it's just emotions. People in the stands were angry, emotional. Starting chanting. Draymond took it personal and made an insult against the city. Happens I guess.

Wedzi

Banned
Eagles fans booed and threw snowballs at freaking Santa Claus! Anything sports fans do doesn't surprise me lol

Chanting Draymond sucks isn't that bad and neither is calling Clevelanders not the sharpest people around.

But any time the people of Cleveland do something stupid I must post this video
https://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykI

Fury451

Banned
Eagles fans booed and threw snowballs at freaking Santa Claus! Anything sports fans do doesn't surprise me lol

Chanting Draymond sucks isn't that bad and neither is calling Clevelanders not the sharpest people around.

But any time the people of Cleveland do something stupid I must post this video
https://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykI

It's fair. I remember when Browns fans threw beer bottles and shit onto the field after the refs made a bad call, and now they don't sell them in bottles at the stadium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-teMkx2vgA

Cleveland sports fans emotions can run hot (as a Cleveland sports fan). Always embarrassed by that behavior though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Gotta love game to game fan swings. One game GS are cheaters and they're putting an asterisk on the championship before it was even won. Next game the Warriors aren't mentally tough and CLE is coming back from a never before done 0-3 deficit. Stay reactionary GAF.

Wedzi

Banned
It's fair. I remember when Browns fans threw beer bottles and shit onto the field after the refs made a bad call, and now they don't sell them in bottles at the stadium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-teMkx2vgA

Cleveland sports fans emotions can run hot (as a Cleveland sports fan). Always embarrassed by that behavior though.

Hey at least your NFL team doesn't draft woman beaters. God I remember when I was at a Xavier game after the infamous Steelers Bengals playoff game and Pacman was there. Everyone wanted their picture with him and to shake is hand and I'm just standing their like he cost us the god damn game fuck this guy!

Back on topic. Cavs looked good, don't know if they can keep up this energy for three more games, Warriors fans gonna be crazy on Monday. Still hoping Cavs pull this through though.

Fjordson

Rewatching the second half and Kerr went into some of his kumbaya game 7 shit. Down only 11 early in the fourth, he refuses to bring in Steph and KD early and while Lebron is at C for Cleveland Kerr leaves in Zaza...

Death to "Strength in numbers".

highrider

Banned
I'm not trying to hot take or be reactionary but seriously, Warriors have all the pieces there to sweep Cleveland, they are so strong on both sides of the ball. Most of my friends that follow basketball didn't think Cleveland had a chance myself included. KD completely alters what they present to a team defensively. I'm amazed that they couldn't finish them, and I still think it's a huge long shot for a comeback, but by not finishing them you've given them something to build from, and that's a dangerous thing. You can say it was one game and that's true, but it was the game they had to win imo. Either way makes the series much more entertaining.

PRBoricua

The Cavs played a historically good game last night and I just can't help but feel like Golden State was one LeBron trip to the bench from giving up that lead.

Obviously, I think Golen State will ultimately win the series, but I hope the Cavs can at least give them a scare in Oakland before they succumb to the Slim Reaper.

Let's see. Avoided the sweep. Prevented GS from celebrating on our floor (at least for now, could still happen if we make it to game 6 and lose). Stopped GS from having a perfect playoffs record (shockingly, their first loss since April 10th). Set some records along the way (those will feel meaningless though if we lose the series). It was a good night for Cavs fans even if we don't win the series. I think game 5 will be the toughest one looking at the three potential next games. GS will want revenge and we have played terribly in the first two games in Oakland (granted, we were down only 8 and 3 in the half and fell apart in the third). Game 6 would be back in Cleveland, where we obviously have played better so far. Game 7 would be back in Oakland, but I think us winning 3 straight would probably break GS's will so much that we would have a decent shot.

I see a lot of people saying the series would be 2-2 if the Cavs won game 3. We don't know that. GS may have taken their foot off the gas being up 3-0 and the Cavs may have finally relaxed in their shooting with nothing to lose anymore, down in such a big deficit. All we can say for sure is that game 3 was devastating for their title hopes, and it was very winnable if they could have made shots when it really mattered.

Rewatching the second half and Kerr went into some of his kumbaya game 7 shit. Down only 11 early in the fourth, he refuses to bring in Steph and KD early and while Lebron is at C for Cleveland Kerr leaves in Zaza...

Death to "Strength in numbers".

It feels like Zaza played the entire third quarter, I'm sure he didn't but it felt like he did at the time. I'm not a fan of Kerr's rotations and he almost cost them the third game, he really should have in fact.

One underrated bit about last year is how he gave the Finals away by playing Varejao too much in game 7. He was an egregious -9 in 8 minutes and Kerr used him in the third quarter right when the Warriors should have pulled away. Not a fan of his work in the Finals, he needs to play it tighter out there.

TTG

Giving KD and Steph a tiny amount of rest early in the 4th has been to their advantage, they come in fresh while Lebron is huffing and puffing. Besides, McCaw and Klay knocked in back to back 3s to open the 4th, no coach is gonna change up right then.

VeeP

Honestly, Cavs could already be champions if they had won all the other 3 games.

I think if Cavs get more wins than the Warriors, they can win this thing.

But if Warriors don't get a single win, Cavs will win.

Warriors are in a tough spot, Cavs have them right where they want them. This was Ty Lue's "Secret Sauce Plan" all along.

You got the stats to back up such a bold claim?

hDTL8ud.gif

beat

didnt the warriors go 26-1 or something without him coaching this year?

didnt they start last year undefeated or something for like 36 games without him?

IMO he's been a great coach in:
1) setting up an efficient offensive system (along with Alvin Gentry)
2) presiding over a secure defensive system (but Ron Adams is the defensive guru)
3) building culture
4) ATOs

1 & 2 & 3 are why he doesn't call many plays from the bench -- the players already know what to do.

4 is a mark of a good sideline coach.

Now, his rotations are questionable because he does go too deep into his bench and we fans let it slide in a win - which has happened - and complain about it in a loss. But overall I think he's been a great coach. The motion offense absolutely unlocked Klay and Curry, the defensive system maximizes what each player can do and tries to minimize their weak points, the player development has been superb.

Umbooki

I already got my wish when the Cavs avoided the sweep, but I'ma be greedy and hope for a series win.

The hilarity of the Warriors being on the wrong side of history in back-to-back years would be unmatched.

I think if Cavs get more wins than the Warriors, they can win this thing.

But if Warriors don't get a single win, Cavs will win.

Warriors are in a tough spot, Cavs have them right where they want them. This was Ty Lue's "Secret Sauce Plan" all along.

This is why you're not in the NBA.

Bottom line is it comes down to the LAST TOUCHDOWN THAT'S IT!

effzee

Gotta love game to game fan swings. One game GS are cheaters and they're putting an asterisk on the championship before it was even won. Next game the Warriors aren't mentally tough and CLE is coming back from a never before done 0-3 deficit. Stay reactionary GAF.

Oh I agree and warriors will win this on Monday night but the bold part....its sort of the argument people made last year how no team has ever come back down 3-1. Cavs did.

VeeP

This is why you're not in the NBA.

Bottom line is it comes down to the LAST TOUCHDOWN THAT'S IT!

:( Sir Kevith pls.

How do I become a big baller

Oh I agree and warriors will win this on Monday night but the bold part....its sort of the argument people made last year how no team has ever come back down 3-1. Cavs did.

Yep. Never underestimate Lebron. With that said, I'd like Warriors to end this at 4-1 so all the 3-1 jokes (and future 3-0) jokes can stop. Anyways, hopefully we get a good game.

So is Wade getting tickets from Kyrie or LeBron?
Wade is the X factor

I think Warriors win it unless Curry and Klay both go finals game 7 on Monday.
Behind the back pass hype.

JR > Love, call me an idiot but JR was key in game 3 before they blew it and was consistent in game 4

Giving KD and Steph a tiny amount of rest early in the 4th has been to their advantage, they come in fresh while Lebron is huffing and puffing. Besides, McCaw and Klay knocked in back to back 3s to open the 4th, no coach is gonna change up right then.
Everyone should've had enough rest heading into the 4th with all the stoppages, fan-tossing, and technical retconning fuckery. Game was a fucking mess. I'd rather they not call shit all game than what we had last night. I had my DVR record well past the scheduled end time and it still didn't record until the end of the game. And there wasn't even OT.

Zaza gotta play better. And hopefully he does at home. I don't agree with people saying it would be better if he got suspended. JaVale and West can't cover all the minutes they need at center, and McAshit should never see the damn floor. Ever. I don't know if the reduced minutes have Clark out of rhythm but he's been looking useless this series. PCaw is doing better than him and he's a rookie.

Credit to Cavs though. The entire team just had a shooting night for the ages. Looking at the boxscore I was surprised their percentages were as low as they were. Seemed like they couldn't miss the entire game. Even DWill was hitting from deep. They have so many weapons that when they're on, they can outshoot anyone in the league. I think game 4 was pretty much the ideal type of performance that was envisioned when that roster was put together.

McCaw could be so much better if he didn't always hesitate to shoot, and then miss that window of opportunity and settle for a drive and kick instead.
He should trust his shot more. Kids got some potential... But first something needs to be done about his hair.

So is Wade getting tickets from Kyrie or LeBron?
Wade is the X factor

I think Warriors win it unless Curry and Klay both go finals game 7 on Monday.
Behind the back pass hype.

JR > Love, call me an idiot but JR was key in game 3 before they blew it and was consistent in game 4

Wade is the RIhanna to Lebron and Kyrie like she is to KD.

tumblr_or0bj0LuQz1upxb50o1_500.jpg

LionPride

Banned
McCaw could be so much better if he didn't always hesitate to shoot, and then miss that window of opportunity and settle for a drive and kick instead.
He should trust his shot more. Kids got some potential... But first something needs to be done about his hair.
Man has plats in his hair in fucking 2017

Anyway, interesting stat by Nate Duncan

It was 24-9 Cavs before any weird calls got made. Now I know that the Warriors went on a little run before a rapid fire string of calls were made but it's...interesting

Servbot24

Banned
Cavs were down three one too last year right?
But they one one earlier? They didn't have to win 4 in a row?

Man if they do this it'll be the greatest comeback of all time (horrible odds though)

It would be the greatest achievement in the history of the NBA, by far.

Will be interesting to see if the cavs can get away with mauling curry again in golden state. If they do they probably will win 4 in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom