• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

everyone wants better officiating. but you was acting like that shit was rigged. and thats why I responded the way I did
The reason why he acted like that is because the NBA HAS had rigged elimayion games in the past. It's up to the NBA to fix their image on refing just like it's up to MLB to fix the negative perception that was caused from the steroid era.

I don't know what to think of game 5. If the Cavs treat it like last year (Lebron said after the game they had to fly back home anyways, why not just go home giving the fans one more game for the season?) I think they can mentally be in there. But the Warriors? They are one game away from being the champs. And they are home.....

The series really should be 2-2 right now. Game 3's ending was such a heartbreaker

Tall4Life

We didn't have these problems when the Lakers and Spurs were running shit.

We knew how to win with dignity. These upstart franchises just don't know how to act right.

2002 WCF against the Kings? Literally the most talked about game concerning whether the NBA is rigged?

FZZ

Banned
Momentum will completely shift if Cavs force a Game 6

By Game 7 KD will be playing hero ball and the collapse of GSW would be complete

But beating GSW on Monday will be one of the hardest things any team has ever have to overcome

Come on man.... you are all over the place today.

so anyways... I can't guarantee that I've seen the Rockets game you want to test my knowledge on, but that could be because I don't watch a lot of basketball.

if you've been actively paying attention to the nba for i dont know, the past 3 or 4 years...and you know the rockets, you'd know that they get a ton of officiating calls due to James Harden. if you know James Harden, he typically leads the league in FT. I remember one game he had like 27 points...25 points from free throws. My point is....one sided officiating isn't new

By Game 7 KD will be playing hero ball and the collapse of GSW would be complete

But beating GSW on Monday will be one of the hardest things any team has ever have to overcome

Momentum is a myth. Sonics had all the momentum going into the game 6 after being down 3-0 against Jordan and still got smacked.

How many teams have been down 3-0 or 3-1 and forced a game 6 or 7 and still ended up losing, despite momentum?

It's all just bullshit talk for the sports media to justify their paychecks talking about. The things that really matter is stuff like having all your players available and home court.

Mrbob

Only momentum the Cavs can possible take with them is hitting an ungodly high percentage of 3s again. Which they'll have to do consistently.

Momentum has shifted, there's no way the Cavs lose this series now.

Dat Bulls momentum in Boston made a higher power intervene and ruin Rondo.

If momentum is a MYTH....THEN all this REF officiating rigging the game is nullified.

talking about Refs controlling the game by taking away any momentum warriors get.

Can't have it both ways.

Officiating can frustrate players and take them out of their game, what the hell does that have to do with momentum?

FZZ

Banned
Momentum is a myth. Sonics had all the momentum going into the game 6 after being down 3-0 against Jordan and still got smacked.

How many teams have been down 3-0 or 3-1 and forced a game 6 or 7 and still ended up losing, despite momentum?

It's all just bullshit talk for the sports media to justify their paychecks talking about. The things that really matter is stuff like having all your players available and home court.

Momentum isn't a myth

Mindset and pressure are very real things and everyone on GSW bar Javale, Zaza, and a few other guys on the bench have all been in a 3-1 lead situation before

But I still expect Warriors to take it in 5

Only momentum the Cavs can possible take with them is hitting an ungodly high percentage of 3s again. Which they'll have to do consistently.

Dat Bulls momentum in Boston made a higher power intervene and ruin Rondo.

They legit almost won game 3 without doing that

And GSW was shooting well too!

It's more about mental breakdown and collapse. The opposite is true in winning with confidence. That's the difference in running plays, sinking shots

It isn't that a player doesnt have skill, it's also mind. Dwight Howard is a known skilled shooter, yet he obviously never does it in game. He is also a good example cause you can clearly see he had no confidence in everything he is doing.

We saw the same thing with the Spurs and how they missed shot after shot in the 4th and a old man in gino was the only thing going down.

If you are good at something and start failing cause of mind, try getting mad and really believing you can do well, if you believe it strongly you'll start knocking it down.

because if you start to build momentum...frustration stops that. People have been stating that momentum was controlled by refs.

You can't be serious right now

You seem to be comparing events WITHIN games with events BETWEEN games. I've watched enough series in hockey, basketball, and baseball to know that momentum between games is largely a myth.

Officiating can frustrate players and take them out of their game, what the hell does that have to do with momentum?

Getting fouled and not getting the call can frustrate players and take them out of their game even more.

Its a fine, often subjective, line between physical defense and fouling. Your team plays physical d and they get far more non calls than every other team. Maybe, just maybe, they were too aggressive in the first quarter.

You seem to be comparing events WITHIN games with events BETWEEN games. I've watched enough series in hockey, basketball, and baseball to know that momentum between games is largely a myth.

Momentum is momentum. you said Momentum is a myth. Momentum can happen in a game, and between games. People always reference the Giants on their superbowl wins against the patriots having momentum in the post season even tho they sucked in the regular season. That was between games and was very real.

You can't say momentum is real one way, but not in another. thats nonsensical.

jfoul

It isn't a myth, and if you played any team sport at any level you would know this.

Momentum is momentum. you said Momentum is a myth. Momentum can happen in a game, and between games. People always reference the Giants on their superbowl wins against the patriots having momentum in the post season even tho they sucked in the regular season. That was between games and was very real.

You can't say momentum is real one way, but not in another. thats nonsensical.

Sure I can. You get time between games and a fresh slate with which to work with between games. Within a game, you're already down big and the calls aren't going your way so you mentally check out.

Your arguments lack depth and deep thinking. It's all shallow sports media talking points.

Think of it this way, you have to choose one reason why the Warriors blew the lead last year. Would you choose something illusory and intangible like momentum or would you say Green being suspended, Bogut getting injured, and Igoudala's back giving out?

Green and Bogut being out means bums like Festus Ezeli have to play extended minutes. Iggy being weakened by his back means trash like Barnes have to pick up minutes while giving you no production in the game. That seems far more tangible than something like momentum.

linkboy

I view last night game the same way I view the 49ers/Ravens Super Bowl. In both games, the referee crew had no business being on the field/court and lost control of the game.

With that said, both the Warriors and 49ers had their chances and couldn't capitalize.

The refs didn't boost either team the game, but their presence didn't help.

Sure I can. You get time between games and a fresh slate with which to work with between games. Within a game, you're already down big and the calls aren't going your way so you mentally check out.

Your arguments lack depth and deep thinking. It's all shallow sports media talking points.

Think of it this way, you have to choose one reason why the Warriors blew the lead last year. Would you choose something illusory and intangible like momentum or would you say Green being suspended, Bogut getting injured, and Igoudala's back giving out?

Green and Bogut being out means bums like Festus Ezeli have to play extended minutes. Iggy being weakened by his back means trash like Barnes have to pick up minutes while giving you no production in the game. That seems far more tangible than something like momentum.
Momentum

effzee

Lol at the injury excuse and Draymond suspension as the reasons the Warriors choked a 3-1 lead.

Man. A lot of GSW fans need to stop getting ahead of themselves. First, it's all about the sweep and celebrating on Cleveland's court. Thinking up trolls and memes for LeBron losing 0-4.

Now they lose a game and it's, "At least we finally get to celebrate at home" as if game 5 is already won. Slow your roll. Anything can happen to majorly shift a series. I'd rather be exceedingly cautious like Fjordson than counting my chickens before they hatch.

BTW, Fjordson. Don't you have season tickets? Did you go to any home games or did you sell your ticks? My sis paid $600 for some mid-level seats to game 2.

yea and the earth is flat.

everyone wants better officiating. but you was acting like that shit was rigged. and thats why I responded the way I did

No I wasn't. Go reread my quotes. I said "overwhelmingly atrocious" and "shitty officiating" 1) to denote the disparity in foul calls while ignoring the other sides fouls, and 2) to denote that the refs didn't know wtf they were doing with the lack of backcourt calls, stupid technical mistakes allowing Draymond to stay in.

Mrbob

Man. A lot of GSW fans need to stop getting ahead of themselves. First, it's all about the sweep and celebrating on Cleveland's court. Thinking up trolls and memes for LeBron losing 0-4.

Now they lose a game and it's, "At least we finally get to celebrate at home" as if game 5 is already won. Slow your roll. Anything can happen to majorly shift a series. I'd rather be exceedingly cautious like Fjordson than counting my chickens before they hatch.

BTW, Fjordson. Don't you have season tickets? Did you go to any home games or did you sell your ticks? My sis paid $600 for some mid-level seats to game 2.

Cleveland Indians fans said the same thing when they lost game five of the world series...look what happened. :D

Only difference though is the Cubs were always the better team. GS is the better team in this case and I think they close it out big in game five. They are now being reminded what happened at 3-1 last year and it's going to motivate them.

theWB27

Truth. Not much longer to wait.

Lakers fans are gentlemen. We never complained about the refs in that series. In fact I specifically remember complementing them on the fine job they did in game 6.

Had to complement them all day in school the next day. Classmates told me they got help...i just saw a team that played hard my man.

Is this what this thread has become now? Harping on anime avatars and comparing high school playing careers?

Probably best for me to check out of this thread for good before more people get banned over arguments like this.

dude...you're saying something that is real is a myth...

then saying "wait, its not a myth in this sitaution, but it is in this"

when we have history of evidence, and people's own personal experience to show that it is indeed very real.

None of the players are complaining about the refs, Durant even said they came in too aggressive and they drew fouls because of it

Yeah, but if look around pretty much no one is saying the refs cost the Warriors the game. However the refs were atrocious, for both sides, and it's fair to question what the flying fuck happened.

I really think this is why the most incompetent NBA refs still have jobs. Every time someone questions them about shit people go like "stop making excuses!"

Yeah, but if look around pretty much no one is saying the refs cost the Warriors the game. However the refs were atrocious, for both sides, and it's fair to question what the flying fuck happened.

I really think this is why the most incompetent NBA refs still have jobs. Every time someone questions them about shit people go like "stop making excuses!"

naw, i think its just cause its a really difficult job.

In any sport.

It's why when the NFL got replacement refs, we as fans realized, that even tho we complained about the official refs, they were way better at their jobs than we thought.

but I will give that there is no excuse for Joey crawford still having a job.

effzee

No they don't. There are blatant bad calls and superstar treatment. I've seen it in favor of my team during the Iverson years and work for every superstar before and after. Bad refs and calls need to be called out but they rarely of ecer are the reason a team wins or loses. Especially in this series between these 2 teams. Warriors have 2 MVPs and 2 more top 15 players and they get superstar treatment just as much as the Cavs.

Lime

Should've been 2-2 if Cavs hadn't lost their minds the last couple of minutes in game 3.

And Warriors got a whole bunch of calls in their favor. Loves flagrant, goaltending by Durant, backcourt violation by Durant, Greens obvious flagrant on Thompson, the techs against Green going toward Kerr, Zara getting away with punching Shump, and probably a bunch of other things.

The thing is, Cavs didn't have the officiating on their side more than Warriors had, along with their green card to bitch and whine every single call. Seriously I have no idea how Warriors have this license to act like whiny brats every single time the whistle is blown.

effzee

I'd like to mention that less than 2 minutes into the game, without any ref calls, the Cavs were up 14-5

But refs! Stern!

None of the players are complaining about the refs, Durant even said they came in too aggressive and they drew fouls because of it

This should be the game plan all the time for the Cavs. Usually the team and players who drive and go into the paint will get the calls.

Btw as impressive as the effort was last night it took a record performance (most points in 1 qrt, most in a half, most 3s in a game, and LeBron surpassing Magic for most triple doubles to win), the better game was game 3 by the Cavs.

They can't replicate game 4 but they can replicate game 3.

naw, i think its just cause its a really difficult job.

In any sport.

It's why when the NFL got replacement refs, we as fans realized, that even tho we complained about the official refs, they were way better at their jobs than we thought.

but I will give that there is no excuse for Joey crawford still having a job.

Yeah that's a valid point about the replacement refs lol but the referring last night just fucked the game for me. The long pauses, some clean blocks being called fouls (Thompson on KD and the Javale block in the second quarter), lots of contacts being allowed for no reason after idiotic ticky tacky fouls being called early on. It was just atrocious. I know it's a very hard job, but last night was as bad as it gets and this refs deserve some scrutiny.

No they don't. There are blatant bad calls and superstar treatment. I've seen it in favor of my team during the Iverson years and work for every superstar before and after. Bad refs and calls need to be called out but they rarely of ecer are the reason a team wins or loses. Especially in this series between these 2 teams. Warriors have 2 MVPs and 2 more top 15 players and they get superstar treatment just as much as the Cavs.

Absolutely, I don't think the referring has been in favor of any team. At times during the last 2 games there was some home cooking, but nothing too extreme and nothing that didn't happen in favor of the Warriors in the first two games. More than anything I think the refs have been really bad and last night they turned what should have been a great game of a team playing basketball in an insane level into a fucking test of patience.

The refs in no way shape or form cost the Warriors (or the Cavs previously) the game, but they cost us a good game. And that's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom