• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
and people said anyone with a brain the Cavs wouldn't win down 3-1 last year.

and people said anyone with a brain that the Patriots lost the superbowl during the game until the 4th quarter.

and people said anyone with a brain that Seattle won the superbowl against Patriots before that non marshawn lynch play.

the list goes on. Anything can happen. Is it a low possibility for the Cavs to take game 5? yea, but You can't completely dismiss the possibility of the opposite.

Obviously.

Like I said, I'd like this to go 7, but this Warriors team is something different.

Two things I didn't notice about the game until right now: the 116 points scored by the Warriors in the L would beat the score of any team they faced in this post-season, including the Cavs. They'd still be 15-1 if they scored that number every game. They scored less than that amount 6 times in the unbeaten run. Just to show that they didn't have an atrocious game, it was Cleveland going berserk.

The other thing is that the team that won the tip off also won the game. The first coach who realizes the implications of this will win the series.

Tom Penny

How come everyone was sucking Klays balls when he slowed down Kyrie while shooting like ass claiming he makes up for it.. now he dropping 40 burgers on him and its crickets...

VeeP

How come everyone was sucking Klays balls when he slowed down Kyrie while shooting like ass claiming he makes up for it.. now he dropping 40 burgers on him and its crickets...

If Kyrie makes 40 the next 3 games I'll personally shit on Klay, how's that? Until then, he slowed down Kyrie the other games as well as others, and made it difficult on them.

But no, I'm not gonna start shitting on Klay after one bad game.

Rmagnus

Banned

Cos its one game, keep things in perspective. Cavs home, aren't you supposed to win your home games? Warriors already stole one.

Durant has scored a higher volume on significantly higher efficiency than either McGrady or Kobe throughout his career. Like, T-Mac's highest TS% in a single year was .564. Kobe's was .580. Durant's career average is .608. His TS% these playoffs is nearly 68%. Even LeBron has never been that efficient in the postseason.

One thing people forget to mention - even though if analytics existed back then, players would have probably been taking better shots, to some extent having pure scorers was far more valuable back then, because the early 2000s had a ruleset that was probably the most favorable for defenses. The mix of BOTH handchecking and zone defenses meant you had teams like the Spurs, Pacers, and Pistons, which brought games to the 70s and 80s on the regular. To some extent, an ISO heavy player that could just get a bucket, was just more valuable, because defenses could do more.

There was an article talking about the NBA Gunner, that was pretty relevant to this discussion

Brent Barry e-mailed. He was wondering why these days so few NBA players average 20 or more points per game.

There's just nine in the whole league, at the moment, he pointed out. As recently as 2007-2008 there were 27.

As soon as I explained the issue to Thorpe, he declared "I know exactly what's going on."

The defense.

Thorpe explains it best in the video, but the gist is this: In recent years more and more NBA coaches have signed up for the defensive philosophy, popularized by Tom Thibodeau since 2007-08, of "flooding ball-side box."

This is not the same as double-teaming, but it has some similarities. When the ball is on one side of the court, watch for this: Very often an extra defender sneaks over to join the action, bringing a crowd of defenders closer to the ball. It's something that became legal when the NBA began allowing zone defenses in 2001, but it took until 2008 for coaches to really figure out how to take best advantage.

That's when the big-time gunners started to disappear.

Another article on it

By Michael Lee February 16, 2013
When Kevin Durant entered the NBA in the 2007-08 season, the NBA was so overrun with 20-point scorers that the Golden State Warriors had three, the New Jersey Nets had two and Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson each averaged 25 points for the Denver Nuggets. In all, the league tied its record of 27 players averaging at least 20 points, with two others right on the cusp at 19.9.

”You would see a guy on every team that could get 20 points," Durant recalled.

Durant ranked 24th in scoring as a rookie at 20.3 points per game, but this season that same total would put him at 12th.

At the same time though, if you looked at scoring in the late 90s and early 00s, along with field goal percentage and effective field goal percentage and true shooting percentage, and other stats, such as offensive rating, it all hits absolute lows.

I'm sure parts of it were because the philosophy regarding offense was worse, but other parts of it were because games flat out would be more defense heavy, and offenses need a gunner who could specialize against those sorts of defenses. If the score only goes to 80 pts, then a guy scoring 20 ppg is scoring 25% of your team's points! And when defenses can do more, your efficiency WILL go down.

It's a bad look for Cleveland fans. Shitty fans in general would do that though, so generalizing it to Cleveland is unfortunate but understandable.

Emotions were really high last night but there's no reason to harass someone's mom like that.

He was talking about the Draymond sucks chant, and honestly, given the way he was just nodding and drinking from a water bottle, I think he sorta enjoys being a heel. It's fun to be on either side of that sort of chant, tbh.

Sports fans in general, imo, can be really shitty (I side with the players whenever I watch Malice in the Palace), but that sort of chant, even if I didn't really believe it, is something I'd take part in because it's fun to get caught up in it

Puh-lease. Gary Payton would have hand checked Durant so hard he would have had 12 points a game, maybe.

I'm not getting your message, can't tell if this is actually dismissive of the post, is affirming it, etc.

EDIT: Draymond on the chants

”I really didn't pay much attention," Green said. ”I really don't pay much attention to anybody in Cleveland, honestly. They don't seem to be the sharpest people around."

Green also received several taunting chants from the Cavaliers fans stating, ”Draymond sucks ... Draymond sucks." He enjoyed every second of it, describing it as ”pretty cool."

”They make me feel good. They show me how important I am to them. They come to the game thinking about me. If you come to the game chanting my name, you're at home thinking about me. So, shout-out to them. I appreciate the love," Green said.

Honestly, despite how much of a mess game 3 was, it was sorta fun to watch. It was a mix of great basketball being played but also a car accident happening in slow motion, which overall made for a fun product XD

Those Draymond chants are nothing. Fans in college were yelling racial slurs at Jeremy lin....

We all know about us Eagles fans....

Out in the bay, they kill each other over Football games.

The draymond chants? Soft.

Those Draymond chants are nothing. Fans in college were yelling racial slurs at Jeremy lin....

We all know about us Eagles fans....

Out in the bay, they kill each other over Football games.

The draymond chants? Soft.

Yeah, see this is shitty sports fans right here. When I come across this shit, I sorta wish Metta would let Ron Artest out again.

TTG

I'm not getting your message, can't tell if this is actually dismissive of the post, is affirming it, etc.

It's a joke at the expense of old players going on about how it was so much harder to score back in their day without ever mentioning illegal defense. I thought it was kind of obvious.

beat

Two things I didn't notice about the game until right now: the 116 points scored by the Warriors in the L would beat the score of any team they faced in this post-season, including the Cavs. They'd still be 15-1 if they scored that number every game. They scored less than that amount 6 times in the unbeaten run. Just to show that they didn't have an atrocious game, it was Cleveland going berserk.

Their offensive rating in game 4 was 117.4, a tiny bit higher than how they've been doing the rest of the playoffs and a little higher than their regular season. So yeah, as frustrating as it was to watch as a Dubs fan, I guess their offense wasn't really that bad.

Bball Breakdown has a video chat with former ref / former head of officials Ronnie Nunn going over some of the calls and missed calls. (For example, some fascinating minutae of how a trailing ref should position themselves as the ball comes into the front court for a half court set, and why not doing it that way contributed to missing the backcourt violation.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZfZuPt0iVM

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Tbf, a lot of that was also that damn Falcons offense not being able to give the Falcons defense five fucking minutes of rest. Honestly felt bad for that defense, reminded me of Texans games

Plus passing and fumbling when they should have run. Then getting into field goal
Range only to pass again and get out of range

Someone on the pats defense should have won MVP after blanking the number one offense for almost the whole second half. Even a field goal somewhere in the final 1 1/2 quarters would have sealed it

LionPride

Banned
Good Ringer Article about the Jordan Rules

There’s also locker-room talk — the real kind. Once, Jordan, Pippen, and Grant argued about which one of their young sons had a bigger penis. “They eventually agreed it was Pippen’s,” Smith drolly reported. Awesome. Where another writer might have swung for the Halberstamian fences, Smith decided to settle — or was forced to settle — for a more modest approach. The Jordan Rules is a proper book, sure. But it’s also something more fine-grained. It’s beat writing.

It’s easy to chuckle at this stuff. Do the elderly Lakers really beat the Bulls if Jordan doesn’t pass off? How many titles does Jordan win if he keeps hogging the ball — only four or five? But in 1991, the idea that Jordan was an exciting but somehow deficient basketball player was every bit as powerful as the idea that Russell Westbrook is one today. As David Robinson says in the book: “Michael is more of a non-basketball-fan type of player. He always looks great out there hanging, jumping, dribbling around. But if you know a lot about the game, you appreciate what I do more.” Where have we heard that lately?

The smudging of Jordan’s image was inevitable. Smith merely acted first, and did the work with more depth and nuance than a lot of his colleagues would have. Jordan, who was nothing if not keenly perceptive about his image, recognized the irony: The same public that had once toasted him as a golden boy was now feasting on his flaws. As Jordan later told Playboy, “Don’t knock me off the pedestal that you wanted me to get onto.”

The Jordan Rules, 25 years later

RedAssedApe

Banned
This made me chuckle. Probably didn't need to name names.

"You're damn right it is," Jefferson said of the pressure resting squarely on Golden State in his estimation. "It's not on us. Where's the pressure on us? They had a 73-win team and they added a former MVP [Kevin Durant]. We added Kyle Korver and Deron Williams. They added an MVP to a 73-win team after being up 3-1 and then KD was up 3-1 (with Oklahoma City and lost to Golden State in the Western Conference finals).

Hope this shit ends tomorrow so the offseason can start and we can start talking about Lavar Ball again.

screenshot.200.0.jpg

bionic77

Hope this shit ends tomorrow so the offseason can start and we can start talking about Lavar Ball again.
My biggest fear of the Ball era is that it will be so bright and brilliant that the young people will forget about the great players that came before them.

The Cedrics will always be remembered but what about the Van Exels, the AC Greens and the Shaqs? I don't want their contributions to be forgotten.

My biggest fear of the Ball era is that it will be so bright and brilliant that the young people will forget about the great players that came before them.

The Cedrics will always be remembered but what about the Van Exels, the AC Greens and the Shaqs? I don't want their contributions to be forgotten.

Shaq, Kobe, Cedric, Magic, all the great all time Lakers are known by one name. Lonzo will join them.

FZZ

Banned
Shaq, Kobe, Cedric, Magic, all the great all time Lakers are known by one name. Lonzo will join them.

Bron and Steph better hurry up and get the leftover rings before the Ball era begins.

Ball era might last so long that I fear for the flags on my car.

There's a legitimate chance we pass on him because DSJ can jump really high or Fox played a really good game once

it will be the biggest mistake Lakers have made in franchise history brehs

Tall4Life

That shit is reserved for winners and people who don't get arrested with prostitutes.

This shit isn't Boston where any bum (ie Paul Pierce) gets elevated. Only the best of the best makes it in LA.
Jerry West, perhaps the greatest GM ever that assembled your Showtime Lakers, isnt a legendary Laker? And James Worthy was pretty important for that too.

Paul Pierce is the second all time leading scorer in the Celtics franchise and a first ballot hall of famer, soooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom