• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 2005 - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/nbalive2005/review.html

"For better or worse, the dunk contest is the centerpiece of the NBA Live 2005's new features, and certainly it's a much better implementation of a similar mode in ESPN College Hoops 2K4. But it's tough for us to say that the dunk mode really adds a lot of value to the franchise, and it's also likely to prove too difficult for most casual players to fully grasp anyway. Beyond the new implementation of the all-star weekend, longtime players of the Live series will enjoy the revamped franchise mode, as well as the incremental tweaks to the basic gameplay, although both aspects of the game still have noticeable flaws. All things considered, NBA Live 2005 is a very good basketball game but doesn't advance the franchise as much as we would have hoped."

Joe

but doesn't advance the franchise as much as we would have hoped.
am i the only one that thinks that this should have absoultely no bearing on the review score at all? you review the game not what it does to the franchise.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Gamespot sucks ..whoooo.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Joe said:
am i the only one that thinks that this should have absoultely no bearing on the review score at all? you review the game not what it does to the franchise.

IT has lots of bearing for a sports game, in particular, that has yearly updates... if there aren't significant or at least worthwhile improvements year over year, then what's the use of purchasing the new one over last years?? If it's essentially the same game with a few tweaks after a whole year, then it deserves to have points docked because in each generation games sequels or updates should continually improve over their predecessors.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
open_mouth_ said:
IT has lots of bearing for a sports game, in particular, that has yearly updates... if there aren't significant or at least worthwhile improvements year over year, then what's the use of purchasing the new one over last years?? If it's essentially the same game with a few tweaks after a whole year, then it deserves to have points docked because in each generation games sequels or updates should continually improve over their predecessors.

Which is why I don't particularly care for sports games.

DMczaf

I'm DMczaf, and I approve this message

All things considered, NBA Live 2005 is a very good basketball game but doesn't advance the franchise as much as we would have hoped.

If the developers had only included a stiffer defensive AI--and one that didn't rely so much on reach-ins and steals--NBA Inside Drive 2004 might have turned out to be a pretty good game, even with its lackluster presentation. As it stands, the uneven gameplay, ho-hum visuals, and shallow franchise mode leave the game with very little to help it stand out from the competition. The bottom line is that there are better choices than NBA Inside Drive 2004

While there are a small handful of faults with the game, ESPN NBA Basketball has just about everything a hardcore NBA fan could ask for. It includes a tough, but rewarding, simulation-style of gameplay, a feature-packed franchise mode, street-style game modes, and the truly unique 24/7 gameplay mode that might be good enough to be its own game.

mug_bob.jpg

Do you really want Bob Colayco reviewing your NBA games? Im DMczaf, and I will fight for you!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
all "simulation" sports games are shit, but "simulation" basketball games are exceptionally shitty shit. they don't capture any of the physical details that define the sport. plus they just fucking suck. go outside instead.

Future

--------
This is doubly troublesome because defenders seem to recover much too quickly when they're beaten, especially at higher difficulty levels
---------

This happened last year, and actually was a big reason I never bought it. The cpu defense on highest difficulty reacts way too fast. My AI players however react like crap and just jog casually down the floor as the other team fast breaks at every opportunity. Only solution was to put the game on lower difficulty, which was too damn easy, making the better solution not to buy the game at all.

Hopefully this isn't as bad this year or I'll probably go save myself 20 bucks at hit up ESPN

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Ramirez said:
I read the review...his main complaint was the Dynasty mode which I'll never touch anyways :p

I didn't get that impression at all. The main complaint seemed to be that they fixed a couple of things and not others, but that the game didn't change much. He also says the All-Star Weekend is sort of a meh addition. And that they experienced some lag on PS2 and Xbox when no one was using the servers.

Also, PS2 has the best controller, Xbox second, GC one isn't good. Xbox looks noticeably better than either. Xbox got an 8.0, btw.

Last years game was really fun though, I ended up liking it better than ESPN.

Ramirez

Well whatever,I'll have the game myself soon enough,I've yet to find any of these regular sites review a sports game right. :p

pilonv1

Another classic IGN over-rated game. I'd hope for NBA 2k5 to be the saviour, but I played 2k4 and I know it's futile. Back to Inside Drive then I guess.

DMczaf

pilonv1 said:
Another classic IGN over-rated game. I'd hope for NBA 2k5 to be the saviour, but I played 2k4 and I know it's futile. Back to Inside Drive then I guess.

If the developers had only included a stiffer defensive AI--and one that didn't rely so much on reach-ins and steals--NBA Inside Drive 2004 might have turned out to be a pretty good game, even with its lackluster presentation. As it stands, the uneven gameplay, ho-hum visuals, and shallow franchise mode leave the game with very little to help it stand out from the competition. The bottom line is that there are better choices than NBA Inside Drive 2004

Are you going to take the word of someone who said that about ID 2004? Don't reward him!

pilonv1

"Uneven gameplay". This guy should never be let near a basketball game again.

And now with the NBA 2k5 review @ IGN, it looks like I'll be basketball game-less this season. I'll give Live a rent but I'm not expecting anything.

Top Bottom