• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Kickz

LeBron right now

tumblr_inline_o2x8ronl481seci84_500.gif

if they don't land Heyward the Celtics are sort of in a tough spot. They have a lot of prospects and assets for the future, but the current team is built around IT, Horcford, Smart, Bradley and Crowder. And by the time the young crew is ready, most of those guys are going to be too old/expensive. They might need to make some tough decisions.

Miracle

Best outcome instead of George going to the Celtics/Cavs.

Now George can recruit Westbrook to join the Lakers next year lol.

Bread

Banned
I don't see how this is on Danny, the Pacers rushed into an awful trade. The C's were never trading for George before signing Hayward. Beyond that, 28 other GMs couldn't beat this pile of trash of a trade?
Having top draft picks is a worst case scenario for people here

I feel like Bradley, Crowder and Smart is a better return than what they got.

I'm thinking Ainge wasn't even willing to give up that for a rental. I get the feeling we are going to find out the Celts weren't as in on George as everyone thought. Or at least that's what Danny will tell us anyway.

Let me project East playoffs:

Cavs, Celtics, Raptors (even if they lose Lowry, they have one star, they'll get in), and Wizards, Bucks are all locks. Hornets are a near-lock. Heat are incredibly likely.

After that, it's the Hawks, Pistons, Sixers, fuck it, maybe even the Nets have a shot.

The Hawks without Millsap could legit make the playoffs. The Knicks could make the playoffs. What the fuck...

Let's not go too far now Prince

No, he's fucking right.

Melo + Porzingis might make the fucking 8th seed.

What the fuck

Brandson

Great trade for OKC. George and Westbrook would be great to see for a year, and they get to erase all those years of Oladipo's big contract off the books. Even if George walks, they have lots of cap space for future signings. Not sure why Indiana went for it though as it handcuffs them somewhat.

You can't blame Danny for this.

They couldn't make PG work with the contract until they had Hayward signed pen to paper, they literally COULD NOT DO THIS until they had Hayward first if that was their play.

For once, this isn't on Danny, this is the ineptitude of the Pacers FO.

LionPride

Banned
Let me project East playoffs:

Cavs, Celtics, Raptors (even if they lose Lowry, they have one star, they'll get in), and Wizards, Bucks are all locks. Hornets are a near-lock. Heat are incredibly likely.

After that, it's the Hawks, Pistons, Sixers, fuck it, maybe even the Nets have a shot.

The Hawks without Millsap could legit make the playoffs. The Knicks could make the playoffs. What the fuck...

No, he's fucking right.

Melo + Porzingis might make the fucking 8th seed.

What the fuck
One of them ain't on that team come February 2018

Fucking Oladipo and Sabonis got traded for Paul George, Smart/Crowder/and a pick wasn't good enough

I mean, the Celtics are gonna end up with Rudy Gay to add to the Rudy Gay they just drafted and Danny will come out saying 2 Rudy Gays is what they wanted all along.

jbug617

Banned
you already know Riley is going to shit on Ainge in the Hayward meeting. Telling Hayward that Ainge can't get a deal done etc.

Adam silver going to get rid of conferences at this point because the East doesn't even exist now

Edit: and I don't even watch basketball outside of the my hometown and playoffs lol

spyder_ur

if they don't land Heyward the Celtics are sort of in a tough spot. They have a lot of prospects and assets for the future, but the current team is built around IT, Horcford, Smart, Bradley and Crowder. And by the time the young crew is ready, most of those guys are going to be too old/expensive. They might need to make some tough decisions.

I preferred George to Butler, but there clearly wasn't a market around George. This was an absolutely butchered situation by the Pacers. The time to trade George was this past deadline.

On the plus side, they're clearly the second best team in the East at this point and 2 of the best 8-10 players in their conference just moved West.

I'm not too worried - top seeds in the East, good young players, smart coaching and management, and a ton of draft assets is not a bad spot to be in. You're projecting problems on them that simply don't exist at this point. If they do in the future, the Celtics are in a more flexible position to deal with them than basically any other team.

I think the Butler and George prices is a reflection on the fact that most NBA teams simply don't think they can compete at the top level in the NBA's current competitive climate, which is increasingly driven not by good management, drafting, or coaching, but by good fortune and where star players decide they want to play. I think the Celtics are smart for taking the long-term, flexible view.

Free agency hasn't started, and:

1) The number 1 and 3 picks were traded
2) Jimmy Butler/Zach LaVine was traded
3) Chris Paul was traded
4) Ricky Rubio was traded
5) Paul George was traded
6) Blake Griffin has his deal basically done

Ainge being a hoarder really fucked him in the end
Every team will want those picks
Stop hoarding

Lol George is gone immediately after this upcoming season

I preferred George to Butler, but there clearly wasn't a market around George.

On the plus side, they're clearly the second best team in the East at this point and 2 of the best 8-10 players in their conference just moved West.

I'm not too worried - top seeds in the East, good young players, smart coaching and management, and a ton of draft assets is not a bad spot to be in. You're projecting problems on them that simply don't exist at this point.

I think the Butler and George prices is a reflection on the fact that most NBA teams simply don't think they can compete at the top level in the NBA's current competitive climate, which is increasingly driven not by good management, drafting, or coaching, but by good fortune and where star players decide they want to play. I think the Celtics are smart for taking the long-term, flexible view.

If the Celtics strike out on Hayward, I'd take a serious look at the Wizards, especially if they put together a semblance of a bench, for that #2 spot. Hell, even the Bucks, if they take another jump, could do it.

Top Bottom