• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

They didn't give up a single asset. Oladipo is a mediocre player on a bad contract. This is worth every single risk there is because its not even a risk for them. If PG walks then whatever. If they win and he decides to stay then great. Fuck they could trade him -at- the deadline to the Lakers and get way more than what they just gave up.
They gave up Sabonis and there must be more to the trade because I don't think OKC can absorb the difference in George's contract.

George's value will be significantly less for a 20 gm rental at the deadline.

Seriously how did no one beat that offer? Miami couldn't give them some scraps with the assumption that Pat could get him to re-sign.

Stop this

npRNHVH.png

Don Riley got it in the bag.

Jesus, if Hayward doesn't sign with the Celtics and if Lowry moves from Toronto, we have to cancel the East next season. This shit is not right.

Seriously how did no one beat that offer? Miami couldn't give them some scraps with the assumption that Pat could get him to re-sign.

If teams were convinced they had no shot at resigning him, renting PG for a year, having him take up $20 million of your cap space making it harder for you to sign long term players this year, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is Magic not doing anything in FA?

Is his plan to tank for a top 5 pick, the Lakers don't own>

His plan is to keep as much cap space as possible clear for 2018.

Pretty much everyone outside of Ingram and Lonzo are on notice.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I love how people focus on Ainge - what about the rest of the league? How is that the best offer??? Plenty of teams could use PG and fit him under the cap

I love how people focus on Ainge - what about the rest of the league? How is that the best offer??? Plenty of teams could use PG and fit him under the cap

Not many teams are going to jump at the chance to give up assets and cap space to rent a guy from a year, especially not in a year when so many teams are SOOOO far away from contention. The market for PG was crippled from the start. Indy fucked up by not trading him last season.

If teams were convinced they had no shot at resigning him, renting PG for a year, having him take up $20 million of your cap space making it harder for you to sign long term players this year, doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you're Pat isn't that a risk worth taking? The same is true for a lot of playoff teams too. If the cost was oladipo and Sabonis it's worth the risk that he walks.

The poor fucking team in the East that wants to tank but ends up in the playoffs (with a worse record than teams in the West that don't make it)

It's totally gonna be Atlanta too. Schroder-Prince + Budenholzer might just be enough.

mozfan12

Banned
I really hope the NBA starts analyzing taking away the conferences for the playoffs and seeding teams one through sixteen. The Western conference is a completely different league now. We could possibly see a team from the East at or under 30 wins going to the playoffs at this rate.

Ainge: I'll give you 12 #1 draft picks
We'll think about it
Any other GM in the league: How about I give you a 2nd round pick and Roy Hibbert
You got yourself a deal!

Slizeezyc

Because he's got shit to spare and they can take the risk. Lots of other teams aren't in a position to be good even with George, plus don't have the assets/players to take on a rental.

Nialrot

It would be great if Rob Hennigan never got a front office job again.

Screwed the Magic rebuild into oblivion with a crapshoot of a roster going forward.

Can't wait for another losing season...

He is not better than Smart. At all. A better scorer, sure. That's it.

Also

DDnVjFmXgAERSqE

I don't think you understand who Marcus Smart is. You must have him confused with someone else.

Marcus Smart shot 35% from the field (Oladipo shot better than that from 3) and 28% from three. His eFG is well, well below league average. For a 2guard that is borderline unplayable, no matter how great his defense is (where Victor is no slouch himself). Smart's been overrated by the system in Boston.

Victor Oladipo is not a great player. He makes a ton of money which isn't appealing. But he's better than Marcus Smart.

LionPride

Banned
FUCK three teams are gonna actively try and suck and still make the playoffs
I don't think you understand who Marcus Smart is. You must have him confused with someone else.

Marcus Smart shot 35% from the field (Oladipo shot better than that from 3) and 28% from three. His eFG is well, well below league average. For a 2guard that is borderline unplayable, no matter how great his defense is (where Victor is no slouch himself). Smart's been overrated by the system in Boston.

Victor Oladipo is not a great player. He makes a ton of money which isn't appealing. But he's better than Marcus Smart.
On a team with Isaiah Thomas, I value someone who can guard a player 1-3 very very well. Something Smart can do better than Oladipo.

It would be great if Rob Hennigan never got a front office job again.

Screwed the Magic rebuild into oblivion with a crapshoot of a roster going forward.

Can't wait for another losing season...

Might still make the playoffs though!

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/880980401669509121
Royce Young said:
With George on a potential 1-year rental this could mean Westbrook is actually more likely to wait on an extension. He gets his $ either way

Hold on tight Thunder fans, Westbrook might hit free agency.

https://twitter.com/Mark_T_Willard/status/880979745734762497
Mark Willard said:
The West has been installed as a 56.5 point favorite in the All Star Game next year.

FUCK three teams are gonna actively try and suck and still make the playoffs

On a team with Isaiah Thomas, I value someone who can guard a player 1-3 very very well. Something Smart can do better than Oladipo.

The Pacers don't have Isaiah Thomas though...

Top Bottom