• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

TTG

Those outlet passes were great. From the summer league highlights, he looks a bit like Harden in transition where he'll almost stop to throw the go ahead pass.

Anyway, saw this on reddit. Was there ever a better dunker at point guard?

Unless he takes the league minimum or something, I don't see how they can keep Brook Lopez. They are cutting it awfully close with the cap. If they renounce Randle, possibly trade Nance for nothing, and use the stretch on Deng, they will barely, barely have enough space for PG and one other max level player, and even then they might have to agree to take a hair under the max. I don't think BroPez was ever a long term addition. He was an expiring contract first and foremost, and secondly a guy that can help the young guys on this team for a year.

In this "so not happening scenario" were able to somehow dump Deng with future pick or something for an expiring. Heh

Those outlet passes were great. From the summer league highlights, he looks a bit like Harden in transition where he'll almost stop to throw the go ahead pass.

God his athleticism was unreal. That habit of landing on one leg killed his health :/

Westbrook has the better motor but Rose had the better speed and finesse.

In this "so not happening scenario" were able to somehow dump Deng with future pick or something for an expiring. Heh

That's the long shot scenario. Deng's contract is pretty damn bad and team's (aside from Brooklyn, who already took on Moz and DeAndre Carroll, so they may be tapped out) are pulling back on spending. I'm just counting my blessings that we at least were able to ditch Mozgov.

Derrick Rose before getting injured was just as athletic as Westbrook was and a much better passer. Who knows how he would have developed if he hadn't gotten serious injuries

mjp2417

Banned

Whoever made that really shouldn't have cut Stacey King off on the Dragic dunk

That's the long shot scenario. Deng's contract is pretty damn bad and team's (aside from Brooklyn, who already took on Moz and DeAndre Carroll, so they may be tapped out) are pulling back on spending. I'm just counting my blessings that we at least were able to ditch Mozgov.

Rob Lowes long lost twin will do it. Believe

Dragun619

Never watched how he landed before with his foot, but damn. I'm not sure how no one on the Bulls didn't fixed that back then.

Where are we on Derrick Rose? Played some 2K GM with the latest roster and this dude signs with Thibs Twolves for a cheap 1 year deal. lol

Slizeezyc

Never watched how he landed before with his foot, but damn. I'm not sure how no one on the Bulls didn't fixed that back then.

Where are we on Derrick Rose? Played some 2K GM with the latest roster and this dude signs with Thibs Twolves for a cheap 1 year deal. lol

Yeah it's not a great way to handle impact landing for sure. I think DRose has led to more people being interested in impact landings though from sports science perspective so at least there's that -- plus just caring more about sports science overall.

PS, the Bulls training staff has been like all-time incompetent for ages, so this shouldn't surprise you.

Tommy DJ

Derrick Rose actually had a pretty good year IIRC. He just has problems that I imagine a lot of people don't want to deal with. Ignoring the fact he doen't shoot 3s and isn't getting any younger, his off court antics and that literal disappearing act he pulled this year wouldn't be seen as positives by most front offices.

pt88z6weja9z.jpg

Look at that face he made after seeing those Zo outlets to Kuz

He coming boys
Future Cav legend Lonzo

What players had a terrific summer league but then sucked badly and faded during regular season? Too many to list? I keep seeing " remember it's just summer league. " whether LonZo has a good game or not so it got me wondering...

Tom Penny

Summer league don't mean shit but this draft class appears to be pretty good for now or the other summer league players are just flat out trash. Probably somewhere in the middle.

bionic77

What players had a terrific summer league but then sucked badly and faded during regular season? Too many to list? I keep seeing " remember it's just summer league. " whether LonZo has a good game or not so it got me wondering...
I never paid attention to summer league before.

Did the top draft picks even play in the summer league back in the day? I want to say it is a more recent phenomenon.

Cheebo

Banned
Because we have access to it. And honestly there is not anything else to watch.

My question was were the lottery guys playing in summer league 10-20 years ago?

Yes. I used to go to the Detroit summer league games when they used to have them in Detroit in the early 90s with my dad every summer, the lotto picks played. It wasn't on tv back then though I believe.

The first time I recall a players summer league games getting actual coverage on TV was Kobe in 1996.

bionic77

Yes. I used to go to the Detroit summer league games when they used to have them in Detroit in the early 90s with my dad every summer, the lotto picks played. It wasn't on tv back then though I believe.

The first time I recall a players summer league games getting actual coverage on TV was Kobe in 1996.
I guess they always played we just never paid attention to it before.

Cheebo

Banned
I guess they always played we just never paid attention to it before.
It wasn't on tv so it was hard to pay attention to unless you could go in person which I was luckily able to do for a number of years 20+ years ago.

The league has made a lot of strides lately to try and turn the NBA into a year round sport to follow for fans.

It wasn't on tv so it was hard to pay attention to unless you could go in person which I was luckily able to do for a number of years 20+ years ago.

The league has made a lot of strides lately to try and turn the NBA into a year round sport to follow for fans.

If they were really interested in becoming a year round sport, they'd increase the timeouts to 20.

Cheebo

Banned
If they were really interested in becoming a year round sport, they'd increase the timeouts to 20.

They are getting pretty dang close to getting year round.

We have pre-season the first half of October, mid-October through mid-June is the full season/playoffs. Second half of June is all about the draft. Then July we have free agency/summer league.

Only 2 months do not have much going on August & September. And even then every 4 years (2019 for World Cup, 2020 for Olympics) we have the FIBA World Cup and Summer Olympics which are full of NBA players competing which stretches over late summer. So half the time we have 12 month round professional basketball.

jmizzal

Yes they did, I remember watching summer league on tv back in like 2002 back when NBA tv first really was getting started.

I usually only watched when it was good drafts tho.

Yeah. I remember Kobe destroying Ben Wallace with a dunk in Summer League. IIRC the Lakers used to have Summer League at the Pyramid in Long Beach.

spyder_ur

Interesting. I didn't really have any recollection of summer league before the Vegas iterations. Honestly I didn't have any idea it existed back then.

I watch way more summer league ball than I care to admit.

And yeah, it's amazing the way the NBA just dominates coverage even in the offseason. A lot of smart decisions led to this point. It'll fade back a bit once NFL training camps start.

Interesting. I didn't really have any recollection of summer league before the Vegas iterations. Honestly I didn't have any idea it existed back then.

I watch way more summer league ball than I care to admit.

And yeah, it's amazing the way the NBA just dominates coverage even in the offseason. A lot of smart decisions led to this point. It'll fade back a bit once NFL training camps start.

It seems like it used to be way less organized and less publicized (I believe the early summer league stuff in Long Beach wasn't even NBA affiliated) But as you started getting more and more well known players coming out the thirst from people to see them grew and it made sense to monetize like with anything. For a random weekday in July, i bet espn is pulling in great ratings with these Lonzo/Laker games.

Tom Penny

damn

what were the good old days like? i started in 2010 so i guess i never saw KG's "prime", was he even better back then?
I'm not sure but I saw KG around Brady's prime when I started watching the Patriots. I remember they had preseason games NFL.

ShamsCharania
Sources: The San Antonio Spurs have renounced guard Jonathon Simmons, making him an unrestricted free agent.

so weird.

They got Rudy Gay. And they probably didn't want to lock in years in another player. I think SA is in a weird spot. They are still really good but they are probably planning for life after Manu/TP/LMA. The way they shopped LMA and Danny Green makes me think they want to keep cap flexibility open to rebuild around Kawhi sooner than later.

Top Bottom