• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Tom Penny

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Talks ongoing between Horford, Hawks' camps today. Late ATL push. Horford's had 5-year offer all along there; engaging on salary.
5:20 PM - 2 Jul 2016

Using Celtics in a bidding war.

megalowho

Using Celtics in a bidding war.
Quite possibly. Or someone from the Hawks camp is feeding Woj for PR before the breakup. They didn't want to sign Al to a max deal, then they signed Dwight, now they want him? The plan was to replace Millsap with Howard? I don't get it.

Quite possibly. Or someone from the Hawks camp is feeding Woj for PR before the breakup. They didn't want to sign Al to a max deal, then they signed Dwight, now they want him? The plan was to replace Millsap with Howard? I don't get it.

Al wants to be a 4 rather than a 5. Signing Dwight might have been a move to make that happen.

I don't get it, why not just pair Millsap with Howard.

My guess is they will do that if Horford bolts, but if they can keep Horford, they have Dwight and Al locked in for at least the next 3 years, rather than having to revisit free agency again with Milsap when he's 32. Milsap's a free agent after next year.

Considering the options right now, Millsap has every reason to opt out and chase the money. He'll be even more expensive than Horford in the long run.

Honestly I think the Hawks continuing to chase Horford is a message to other players that if you come here, they'll TRY to take care of you. If the price is right.

Considering the options right now, Millsap has every reason to opt out and chase the money. He'll be even more expensive than Horford in the long run.

Honestly I think the Hawks continuing to chase Horford is a message to other players that if you come here, they'll TRY to take care of you. If the price is right.

Exactly. Even if, for the sake of argument, you think Horford and Milsap are the same player in terms of value and ability, you have the chance to lock one of the two up for 5 years while the other can opt out after 1 season and put you right back in a bidding war all over again next season....you keep the guy you can control.

Tom Penny

Exactly. Even if, for the sake of argument, you think Horford and Milsap are the same player in terms of value and ability, you have the chance to lock one of the two up for 5 years while the other can opt out after 1 season and put you right back in a bidding war all over again next season....you keep the guy you can control.

Why wouldn't they trade Milsap first? Now they have no leverage. It appears to me they signed D12 then didn't like the plan.

Why wouldn't they trade Milsap first? Now they have no leverage. It appears to me they signed D12 then didn't like the plan.

Because they don't have to agree to anything yet. They can agree to a Milsap trade on the hush (maybe they already have) contingent on Al resigning with them. The leverage they have is that Milsap is really fucking good and lots of teams would want him.

Two Words

I can't wait to see Carlisle be forced to give significant playing time to Justin Anderson, AJ Hammonds, Dwight Powell and Javale McGee. This will surely be a sight to see.

2010blank+banner.jpg

Soon to say "GOT A MEETING WITH KEVIN DURANT 2016"

Fjordson

Al wants to be a 4 rather than a 5. Signing Dwight might have been a move to make that happen.

My guess is they will do that if Horford bolts, but if they can keep Horford, they have Dwight and Al locked in for at least the next 3 years, rather than having to revisit free agency again with Milsap when he's 32. Milsap's a free agent after next year.
Ah okay, makes sense.

Is their anyway Lakers can get rid of nick young?

They can just cut his ass. Which they should do. And bring back Sasha to replace him.

The Dallas thing is bizarre. I mean, it makes sense why big time free agents would pass on the Lakers and Knicks because of how bad they are, but the Mavs have been a consistent playoff team, have a top 3 head coach, have deep pockets, state of the art facilities, play in a big market in a state with no tax....does everyone in the league just loath Mark Cuban or something?

Tom Penny

Because they don't have to agree to anything yet. They can agree to a Milsap trade on the hush (maybe they already have) contingent on Al resigning with them. The leverage they have is that Milsap is really fucking good and lots of teams would want him.

There still is zero logic to signing D12 to pair with Milsap and letting Horford meet with other teams when the plan was to retain him the whole time. You would have already had a Milsap deal in place. They are backtracking.

Two Words

They can just cut his ass. Which they should do. And bring back Sasha to replace him.

The Dallas thing is bizarre. I mean, it makes sense why big time free agents would pass on the Lakers and Knicks because of how bad they are, but the Mavs have been a consistent playoff team, have a top 3 head coach, have deep pockets, state of the art facilities, play in a big market in a state with no tax....does everyone in the league just loath Mark Cuban or something?
Dallas has consistently been a good enough destination to be a threat for leverage but not the best option. Dwight to Houston and Deron Williams to Brooklyn are the only two free agents that passed on Dallas where I think they fucked up. Dwight's role would have been far better utilized in Dallas since Dallas' offense was never predicated on a driving guard that needs the middle to be free. Deron Williams clearly did not enjoy his time in Brooklyn. Sure, if it was all just about the money then BK was the right choice. But it sounds like he did not like the spotlight or team structure there.

Everybody else? They had better options and those better options were willing to pay whatever Dallas had to offer.

Yeah it's a bit odd, the mavs overachieve every year and I feel like Carlisle gets the most out of what he has.

phanphare

Banned

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Honestly its got to be Cuban. Guys saw what they did to their team -after- they won a title in 11. Letting Chandler walk to save the money to do... nothing with it was the dumbest shit ever.

There still is zero logic to signing D12 to pair with Milsap and letting Horford meet with other teams when the plan was to retain him the whole time. You would have already had a Milsap deal in place. They are backtracking.

I think the plan was to try and keep Horford, and if they couldn't, keeping Milsap. The Dwight signing works with either of these scenarios. They don't really lose any leverage by holding on to Milsap (for now) because teams will jump over each other to get him the moment he's made available.

Two Words

Honestly its got to be Cuban. Guys saw what they did to their -after- they won a title in 11. Letting Chandler walk to save the money to do... nothing with it was the dumbest shit ever.
I doubt that is why. Letting Tyson Chandler walk wasn't stupid at all. He never lived up to the contract he got in NY. Mark Cuban has a record of over 15 years that shows that he is willing to pay to keep a contending team together. Deciding that Tyson Chandler was not worth that contract doesn't change that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I doubt that is why. Letting Tyson Chandler walk wasn't stupid at all. He never lived up to the contract he got in NY. Mark Cuban has a record of over 15 years that shows that he is willing to pay to keep a contending team together. Deciding that Tyson Chandler was not worth that contract doesn't change that.

Knicks were pretty decent when Chandler was there. They even won 54 games in a season. The Knicks. And he was dead wrong about not keeping Chandler. They blew up a team that actually won a title to chase after bigger names.

Two Words

Knicks were pretty decent when Chandler was there. They even won 54 games in a season. The Knicks. And he was dead wrong about not keeping Chandler. They blew up a team that actually won a title to chase after bigger names.
And what followed after? Chandler was hurt and underperformed/didn't play much the rest of those years. They offered him a max 1 year deal that was higher than the Knicks' contract per year. Chandler wanted years. That championship team wasn't going to last. Every single player was trending downward after that season.

Tom Penny

I think the plan was to try and keep Horford, and if they couldn't, keeping Milsap. The Dwight signing works with either of these scenarios. They don't really lose any leverage by holding on to Milsap (for now) because teams will jump over each other to get him the moment he's made available.

Interesting plan B when Milsap would be on the team knowing he was on the block if you can't move him.

Why isn't Horford a Hawk then? He's somehow mulling over more years and more money?

Because he's going to take a meeting and see what all his options are. Same reason KD is taking all these meetings and will probably end up just resigning with OKC for a year. I didn't say it was a sure thing, I said it's very possible their plan was to pair Dwight with either Paul or Al, depending on what Al did in free agency.

RBH

I love Millsap more than Horford, but if we have the opportunity to lock up Horford for five years instead of losing Millsap after next season to free agency, then I'll take Horford in that situation.

Mixed feelings on the Bazemore contract. He still has room to grow, but that's a lot of money for him.

And I'm not a Howard fan due to all of his antics off the court, but I don't deny that he will help us badly with boards and having an actual center that can allow Horford to FINALLY play at the 4 where he belongs.

These contracts for mid-tier guys are absurd.

Yup even as a percentage of cap space, some of these feel disproportionate. Over 20-25% of cap space over 3-5 years to a non starting player? This will jam up the trade market too, as salaries between 2016 and 2017 contracts will be so out of line with anyone signed 2015 and earlier. Worst of all, none of these teams are getting better, winning now. Tier 1 is STILL the Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, and Thunder (assuming KD returns).

Tom Penny

Because he's going to take a meeting and see what all his options are. Same reason KD is taking all these meetings and will probably end up just resigning with OKC for a year. I didn't say it was a sure thing, I said it's very possible their plan was to pair Dwight with either Paul or Al, depending on what Al did in free agency.
Well one thing remains true. Even at max Celtics can't get a free agent.

Come on Masai do some magic. Raptors can't possibly just retain DeRozan and call it an off-season.

I see why he is waiting it out (presumably thats why we havent heard a peep). Theres not much talent difference between the role player guys signing July 1-July 4, and the guys that will still be available next week, though teams are paying double this week.

(Obvious exceptions on stars or improving stars like derozan, Batum, etc).

I mean, check out the very reasonable Marvin Williams deal from today. Hopefully thats a sign of things to come. $8-12 million a year (ie 10-15% of the cap) will get you a very reasonable role player, if you can wait out the bubble market.

So will my Jazz finally make the playoffs? This epic rebuild ending with us topping out as the 4 seed is bad enough. At least let me watch some damn postseason games.

Top Bottom