• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Jonm1010

Banned
It'll be done in 4 games, unless they lose one on purpose, so they can hoist the trophy up back in GS.
Yeah not even if the league lets Scott Foster ref the entire series and ignores all contact on Curry will the Cavs go past 5 if Durant jumps ship and the Dubs are healthy IMO.

Heck if they were healthy this year, hate to say it because I don't want to take credit away from Lebron, but I think warriors probably win the series.

Ape

Banned
By trying to land Durant GS is telling us they only wants to lose like 3 games next year including playoffs

Ape

Banned
Looking at the kd situation seems like the spurs is the best option. Young unselfish developing player in Lennard that can give you twenty and lock down the opponents best player. LaMarcus post guy that can demand a double team. He would have the green light to an extent and be the needed closer and scorer. Class organization that has a championship caliber Coach. They could win it all next season. Am I wrong?

No you're not wrong. San Antonio with Durant would be tough. I selfishly want him to go back to okc, mostly because Westbrook is my fav player in the league and I want them to win it next year

Looking at the kd situation seems like the spurs is the best option. Young unselfish developing player in Lennard that can give you twenty and lock down the opponents best player. LaMarcus post guy that can demand a double team. He would have the green light to an extent and be the needed closer and scorer. Class organization that has a championship caliber Coach. They could win it all next season. Am I wrong?

KD's best situation is taking the vet minimum with the Warriors so they can keep their bench. I'd give him some respect if he actually did this just to piss everyone off.

J2 Cool

Of course they care about the team's success.
They tried to get McGrady, Lebron, Carmelo, etc...
Hard to win big when no one big wants to come to your team.

They blew it every season regardless. They didnt want to give the pieces for Carmello. They didnt build any type of depth. Golden state and San Antonio havent been a destination for big names, and they know how to put pieces in place. GarPax never did.

They never even found a way to lighten MVP Rose's offensive burden, and carry some of the blame for what happened to him. Theyre the definition of stagnant, on top of being shitty people to work with.

I'd say they got what they deserved, but theyre still holding onto their positions somehow. They really don't deserve the support of the city, and its a shame Taj and Jimmy are stuck with them. Theyre an ugly middleman in the relationship between Chicago and its players.

Jimrpg

Of course KD to Spurs makes them favourites... they just won 67 games.

But KD to the bay... holy shit...

Curt Schilling wrote a blog post about why KD should come to Boston. The KD to the Celtics dream was fun while it lasted... We didn't do it :(

Cmfr437UIAAVgM5.jpg:small

I dunno, seems compelling to me.

jdstorm

Banned
As a thunder fan here is my take.

Sam Presti is playing hardball because he doesn't want to have to deal with the possibility of Durant and Westbrook both leaving next year for nothing. So OKC isn't offering KD a 1+1 deal that he seems to be looking for.

So Kevin Durant has to chose between a 1+1 deal with the Warriors, a huge deal next summer and an almost guaranteed championship, at the cost of trashing his reputation. Vs Staying in OKC and committing for 3 years and Sacrificing 16 Milion dollars over the next 3 seasons* to try and win a title on a team that missed the playoffs without him.

That's a tough choice to make. As a thunder fan I think he is slightly underating his supporting cast. But OKC are likely 2 players away right now from being a complete contender and who OKC manage to get to fill out the roster via trade is going to be hugely important this season and beyond.

*in a 3+1 deal, Durant would likely make more money in the long term. However I'm sure his agents are actively steering Durant to sign a 1+1 deal so they get their 10% of his 200M contract in 12 months as opposed to in 36 Months

I read last hear about hoiberg and his "system". Up tempo, keep pushing for transition offense, volume shooting...and their backourt is Butler and Rondo, two dudes who don't really like to shoot jumpers. What the fuck are they doing?

random25

As a thunder fan here is my take.

Sam Presti is playing hardball because he doesn't want to have to deal with the possibility of Durant and Westbrook both leaving next year for nothing. So OKC isn't offering KD a 1+1 deal that he seems to be looking for.

So Kevin Durant has to chose between a 1+1 deal with the Warriors, a huge deal next summer and an almost guaranteed championship, at the cost of trashing his reputation. Vs Staying in OKC and committing for 3 years and Sacrificing 16 Milion dollars over the next 3 seasons* to try and win a title on a team that missed the playoffs without him.

That's a tough choice to make. As a thunder fan I think he is slightly underating his supporting cast. But OKC are likely 2 players away right now from being a complete contender and who OKC manage to get to fill out the roster via trade is going to be hugely important this season and beyond.

*in a 3+1 deal, Durant would likely make more money in the long term. However I'm sure his agents are actively steering Durant to sign a 1+1 deal so they get their 10% of his 200M contract in 12 months as opposed to in 36 Months

Sam Presti can't play hardball because he doesn't have the power right now over Durant. Durant has the freedom to choose where he wants to go, and money isn't even a problem for him as a lot of teams can provide great offers for him. Presti will simply do what Durant wants with regards to his contract terms.

I'm no OKC fan, but I want Durant to stay not because of reputation and things like that, but because OKC is already a title contender. 1 win away from an NBA finals return proves that they are already good enough to compete for the title. They lost not because OKC isn't strong, but because Durant was just subpar for his standards during those crucial games against GSW. 1 ring, even if it comes from going to GSW, if it happens, will always be a better reputation down the line than another "Charles Barkley story".

Fjordson

Golden State has three all-NBA players 28 and under and will have a wide open hole at the 3 if they let Barnes walk. It's easily the best basketball fit for him.

But there's a lot more to this than that. I'm still betting he stays in OKC.

havent payed attention to any deals

what have been te biggest ups and the lowest downs?

I did see howard going to atlanta, what were you thinking atl? seems like an atl move though.

What happened to spurs and durant? He just doesn't like them? I'd like to see durant on the celtics, possible champsionship team imo

jdstorm

Banned
havent payed attention to any deals

what have been te biggest ups and the lowest downs?

I did see howard going to atlanta, what were you thinking atl? seems like an atl move though.

What happened to spurs and durant? He just doesn't like them? I'd like to see durant on the celtics, possible champsionship team imo

Re Spurs and Durant. It's hard to convince a guy to join your team to win a title when his team destroyed yours in the playoffs

Re Spurs and Durant. It's hard to convince a guy to join your team to win a title when his team destroyed yours in the playoffs

I dunno about all that, they are the best franchise in the last 20 yeas. If durant isn't smart enough to see that then who knows.

I don't see why he would want to go to GS though, I don't see them winning another championship anyways. He should go to the celtics if he wants a ring. Easy ride to the finals imo, rested an ready for the western team that stumbles in

Chase17

I dunno about all that, they are the best franchise in the last 20 yeas. If durant isn't smart enough to see that then who knows.

I don't see why he would want to go to GS though, I don't see them winning another championship anyways. He should go to the celtics if he wants a ring. Easy ride to the finals imo, rested an ready for the western team that stumbles in
While I would love for Durant to go to the C's, I think he would have a more difficult path to the finals in the east than if he were to join GS. I think having to play the cavs in the ECF would be more difficult than either Spurs/Clips in the WCF with a loaded GS team.

mjp2417

Banned

You don't? With Kevin Durant? That might be the most loaded team of all time. And all of their key players would be in their prime for the next 5 years. Golden St., from a pure basketball standpoint, would be the obvious destination. It would just be terrible for his reputation if he isn't comfortable being the villain.

You don't? With Kevin Durant? That might be the most loaded team of all time. And all of their key players would be in their prime for the next 5 years. Golden St., from a pure basketball standpoint, would be the obvious destination. It would just be terrible for his reputation if he isn't comfortable being the villain.

Durant and GS have both proved they can lose when they should have won though. I'd wait and see how they mesh together before calling it though. the big three, steph, durant, klay have shown they can crumble when it matters most and that can stick with people.

Not saying they can't win but I do hope durant goes to the C's.I'm not even a fan of them but I liked what thomas was doing this year

mjp2417

Banned
Durant and GS have both proved they can lose when they should have won though. I'd wait and see how they mesh together before calling it though. the big three, steph, durant, klay have shown they can crumble when it matters most and that can stick with people.

Not saying they can't win but I do hope durant goes to the C's.I'm not even a fan of them but I liked what thomas was doing this year

So have Tim Duncan and the Spurs. But yeah, if Durant leaves OKC (which i don't want him to) I'd like him to go to the Celtics. LeBron vs. Durant conference finals for the next 4-5 years would be fantastic, and it would be nice to have relative parity again between East and West

If Durant signs a 1+1 with GSW, do the Warriors have enough next year to pay the entire roster? I know Curry becomes a free agent next year, but who else is there, and what contracts can they get rid of?

Idk, I think I'd prefer seeing Durant to OKC for at least one more year, or Durant to Celtics for an exciting East (although it has been getting better each year).

Brandson

If GS gets Durant, what is their tax situation going to look like when they have to re-sign Curry, Thompson, and Green, and maybe Iguodala, to max contracts too? That will ultimately be another record broken whether KD signs or not. Is there some limit for going into the tax to re-sign your own players? Otherwise it looks like they will eventually face a huge salary+tax bill, starting at least in 2017 when they have to re-sign Curry, and ramping up by 2020 to the hundreds of millions of dollars, when the rest all will have to be re-signed too.

If GS gets Durant, what is their tax situation going to look like when they have to re-sign Curry, Thompson, and Green, and maybe Iguodala, to max contracts too? That will ultimately be another record broken whether KD signs or not. Is there some limit for going into the tax to re-sign your own players? Otherwise it looks like they will eventually face a huge salary+tax bill, starting at least in 2017 when they have to re-sign Curry, and ramping up by 2020 to the hundreds of millions of dollars, when the rest all will have to be re-signed too.

There's no limit. You could use the Nets for example when they had all those bad contracts. But they had a billionaire owner so he didn't care about the money.

If the owner is willing to pay it, then you could go as high as you want.

KD on the Spurs > KD on the Warriors

Honestly, I don't think KD on the Spurs meshes that well. Maybe it's just the part of me that isn't a big Durant fan, but I feel like he would fit better with the Warriors than the Spurs. (Doubt adding Durant makes the Warriors invincible, as others have already said.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Soo...when can we expect to know KD's decision? I know today he should speak about it, any estimates about the time?

The Cleveland lebrons still have lebron and lebron always beats KD so he's got to finally beat him

Fucking warriors could make lebron the greatest player in history if they meet in the finals and lose again

Awful timeline if they lose again lol

Lebron haters x critics would have nothing for the rest of time , don't fuck up warriors

Silkworm

As a Celtics fan, I'm cautiously optimistic. But honestly, I can see Durant just as easily staying put in OKC or going to some other team. What I want to know is if Durant doesn't end up in Boston what other moves will/can Boston make in addition to having acquired Horford. I know getting Cousins would be helpful but I'm not sure that will happen so I'm just wondering if they'll just stand pat and be patient and try again next season to acquire some more pieces to get them closer to a NBA championship contender status or make some sort of desperation move on some other FA and spend way too much on an unsure thing. I know Ainge has said time and again, he's not going to make any sort of impulsive move and that Boston fans need to be patient as they build for the future, but FA market this year seems a bit crazy with the money being thrown around and I hope Ainge and company don't get catch that fever.

Top Bottom