• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

lol, hairsanity continues

I personally liked the rey best where he had two pony tails, one on top of the other

his goal this season should be to grow it long enough to do 3 and have them be buns. only then can his training be complete.

Charlotte made it out of FA ok right? You guys were fun to watch last year.

phanphare

Banned
Charlotte made it out of FA ok right? You guys were fun to watch last year.

yeah I feel like we did the best we could and we should have a good squad this season. as far as moves go it seems like we will take a small step back from last year but have set ourselves up nicely for the next off season in doing so.

one thing to consider is that mkg should be good to go and he has a huge impact on our team. I think there was an article done when we were still the bobcats about how our defense played with and without him and it was crazy. with mkg we were the top defense in the NBA edging out the grizzlies (this was 2012/13 I think), without mkg we were one of the worst defenses in the nba around where the lakers were. dude is legit. I believe his advanced defense stats are slightly better than kawhi leonard. so while it seems like we took a small step back on paper as far as who we lost if mkg is healthy the whole season we could actually be better. mkg being back would also help batum out a lot. on defense he was pretty much always matched up against the best perimeter player on the other team and with mkg back that doesn't have to happen anymore. the only worry with mkg is him ending up like gerald wallace. really great player who just finds himself frequently injured due to the way he plays and hustles on every possession.

I really like what out front office did though. made the best moves that we could while not screwing the team over in the future. getting belinelli for the 22nd pick to replace courtney lee was a solid move. I'm not a hibbert fan but we seem to do really well with players coming off of disappointing seasons trying to reestablish themselves (save for lance) and we needed a rim protector. signing batum was a must. jordan finally did what he said he would do and that's paying the cash for top tier talent. marvin signing a deal under market value was huge. love and respect to big al but it was time for us to let him go. no way in hell I'd be ok with the hornets paying him what the pacers are, even though that's a pretty solid get for them. I figured lin would be gone from the start.

I'm excited. I want to see how mkg and batum play together. mkg is so crafty at coming off of screens and getting to the basket and batum delivers the ball so well. they should be really fun to watch, especially if mkg's 3-ball stays where it was for the 7 games he played this season. I'm also really excited to see how frank develops. I shit on that pick and ate my words about halfway through the season.

I'm expecting the offense to take a small hit compared to last year but I'm expecting the defense to be much improved

Fjordson

This makes me happy

Cnxfe37VUAAcrtE.jpg

Other than DeAndre at center, would Dubs fans take anyone on Team USA to replace any of their current starters?

Is Lin actually gonna start?

That's why he took the less to go to Brooklyn. Rumor has it that the Pelicans were offering him $10 mil per year to backup Jrue Holiday. I'm sure the market for him as a backup was high as hell. I kinda wish the Spurs had money for him. Pop would've really fine tuned his game and the Spurs are in need of someone to potentially replace Parker... Even if it's a stop gap replacement

yeah I feel like we did the best we could and we should have a good squad this season. as far as moves go it seems like we will take a small step back from last year but have set ourselves up nicely for the next off season in doing so.

one thing to consider is that mkg should be good to go and he has a huge impact on our team. I think there was an article done when we were still the bobcats about how our defense played with and without him and it was crazy. with mkg we were the top defense in the NBA edging out the grizzlies (this was 2012/13 I think), without mkg we were one of the worst defenses in the nba around where the lakers were. dude is legit. I believe his advanced defense stats are slightly better than kawhi leonard. so while it seems like we took a small step back on paper as far as who we lost if mkg is healthy the whole season we could actually be better. mkg being back would also help batum out a lot. on defense he was pretty much always matched up against the best perimeter player on the other team and with mkg back that doesn't have to happen anymore. the only worry with mkg is him ending up like gerald wallace. really great player who just finds himself frequently injured due to the way he plays and hustles on every possession.

I really like what out front office did though. made the best moves that we could while not screwing the team over in the future. getting belinelli for the 22nd pick to replace courtney lee was a solid move. I'm not a hibbert fan but we seem to do really well with players coming off of disappointing seasons trying to reestablish themselves (save for lance) and we needed a rim protector. signing batum was a must. jordan finally did what he said he would do and that's paying the cash for top tier talent. marvin signing a deal under market value was huge. love and respect to big al but it was time for us to let him go. no way in hell I'd be ok with the hornets paying him what the pacers are, even though that's a pretty solid get for them. I figured lin would be gone from the start.

I'm excited. I want to see how mkg and batum play together. mkg is so crafty at coming off of screens and getting to the basket and batum delivers the ball so well. they should be really fun to watch, especially if mkg's 3-ball stays where it was for the 7 games he played this season. I'm also really excited to see how frank develops. I shit on that pick and ate my words about halfway through the season.

I'm expecting the offense to take a small hit compared to last year but I'm expecting the defense to be much improved

Totally forgot about MKG....If he comes back to form and adds a solid jumper, everything should be fine. I like Steve Clifford. He's a solid coach who seems to be really good at instilling confidence in his players. Probably what Roy needs.

“Charles Barkley was probably the strongest man from the bellybutton down. Never would lift the weights, but let me tell you something man. You knew he wasn’t going to win the championship.

“He was the worst person to play with as a rookie because when you went in you got all the bad habits from him. You stayed out all night and then you couldn’t figure out why you didn’t have it in the game. It’s because when Charles came to practice he didn’t practice.

“I’ll never forget this story. My second day of practice we’re out there running up and down. Charles Barkley comes in about 5-minutes late. He comes in and he has a big McDonald’s bag. And he goes and he sits down on the bike. And like a chemist. You know, a guy over there cutting up lines or something. You know? He’s just making – he’s got his back towards us and he’s doing stuff — I’m like, ‘What the hell is he doing?’ So, he takes the eggs, and he takes the pancakes, the sausage, maple syrup and butter, puts it all in one, wraps it up with the pancake and gets some extra syrup. And the butter’s oozing out. And I’m going, ‘Wow, you going to eat that then and come run with us?’ Hell no. He’s going to eat that while he’s on the stationary bike. Peddling one mile an hour going … ‘Run the floor!’ … ‘That’s why we ain’t never going to win the game!’ And pancake is spitting out his mouth.”

Yup, that sounds like Chuck...

Jarate

Banned
and yet Chuck was one of the most dominant players around for his time, especially rebounding the ball which is a hustle stat, along with being a pretty good defender and a pretty good FT shooter

AI never practiced and still carried a shit ass team to the finals. Sometimes, you just dont have the teammates to win, which is way more important then trying hard during practice.

He also made it to 3 conference finals and had a finals appearance in the Jordan Era.

and yet Chuck was one of the most dominant players around for his time, especially rebounding the ball which is a hustle stat, along with being a pretty good defender and a pretty good FT shooter

AI never practiced and still carried a shit ass team to the finals. Sometimes, you just dont have the teammates to win, which is way more important then trying hard during practice.

He also made it to 3 conference finals and had a finals appearance in the Jordan Era.

The most recent BS Podcast had a great clip from Charles, where he claimed he was only out of shape his last season on the Rockets.

According to him, the Rockets asked him to take a paycut so the team could sign Pippen, and they would make it up to him next year with a $12 million dollar deal. So next year comes around, they offer 8 instead. He asked where the other 4 went, they said they changed their mind, and he decided that maintaining weight wasn't part of the deal either. :jnc

phanphare

Banned
Totally forgot about MKG....If he comes back to form and adds a solid jumper, everything should be fine. I like Steve Clifford. He's a solid coach who seems to be really good at instilling confidence in his players. Probably what Roy needs.

there was an interview from a few days ago that I just listened to today where coach cliff talks about all the offseason moves. he seems pretty positive about everything and he is notoriously candid about what he thinks so that's a good sign. he said he's been watching a lot of film (surprise surprise) on roy hibbert and says that he doesn't think he's lost anything from back when he was a dominant defensive big man for the pacers. he feels like the struggles roy has had have been totally mental and that roy tried to expand his game too much after having some good seasons with the pacers. makes me feel a lot better about that move.

http://wfnz.com/2016/07/15/steve-clifford-talks-nba-free-agency-hornets-future/

I wasn't refuting that he wasn't an all time great, Sam. But player development matters team wise. There aren't enough freak of nature athletes to go around in the NBA.

Jarate

Banned
I wasn't refuting that he wasn't an all time great, Sam. But player development matters team wise. There aren't enough freak of nature athletes to go around in the NBA.

dude took his Phoenix team to the finals as the best scorer on that team and lost to a Jordan Pippen team in 6. It's the same thing with AI, dude just ran into a god tier team, and never had the other players to win a chip. Give chuck a guy like Pippen, maybe things are a little different

And I have a hard time believing this. Maybe he was a bit fat, but you arent going to play 82 games a regular season at 6'6" and rebound and score as effectively as he did. He was 6'6"! That's not a physical specimen at all, that's not a freak athlete, that's an undersized PF.

Mortemis

Banned
Lol, watching team USA vs USA selects scrimmage and it's basically the team USA vs the Lakers. Safe to say they got it handed to them.

Randle chucking up more threes. It's nice that he's thinking about his jumper but man it's still rough as fuck.

phanphare

Banned
As much as north carolina is being ass backwards... i really want the all star game to stay in charlotte next year.

yeah same. steph curry doing the 3-point contest in his hometown needs to happen. it's all setup nicely too. he won two years ago, klay won last year, now he can get it again in front of his home crowd.

but if it helps change all this bullshit though they should move it as far away as possible.

I would be in favor of keeping it in Charlotte but taking the opportunity to show support for gay rights.

this too. the actual city of charlotte was trying to do something good and then the state fucked it all up.

spyder_ur

God damn that's a terrible tattoo, and I freaking love Tupac. Out of curiosity do you always have to keep tattoos covered like that? Or just because he's playing a contact sport?

Draymond being a dick, Durant making Duncan retire, this terrible tattoo. Bad karma for the Warriors.

I'm glad the NBA made this announcement. I feel it's a measured, appropriate course of action.

Bread

Banned
God damn that's a terrible tattoo, and I freaking love Tupac. Out of curiosity do you always have to keep tattoos covered like that? Or just because he's playing a contact sport?
yes sadly every player with a tattoo must cover it in plastic wrap during games due to nba rules

blame davis stern

Top Bottom