• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

spyder_ur

How many hours till the draft? Like more than 24 hours still right? I'm not good with time zones.

Uhh no, it's in like 3 hours. I'm not sure if the first pick is made at 7:30 or 8 (if anyone knows for sure this would be helpful since I'm headed somewhere). Coverage starts at 7 EST.

Cornbread78

It's spreading LAker's fans:

NBA Stats (@StatisticsNBA)

46 secs ago - View on Twitter

Rumor: The Lakers may trade the #2 pick for Jimmy Butler tonight.

This $hit is too funny... Danny, you better be on your toes tonight buddy, I'm out.

Chat Sports NBA (@chatsportsnba)
25 mins ago - View on Twitter

#Pelicans Rumors Roundup: New Orleans Open To Trading No. 6 Pick And Prefer Jamal Murray? www.chatsports.com/new-or… via @ChatSports

Jeremy Harson (@JeremyHarson)
4 mins ago - View on Twitter
NBA Rumor Central: Pelicans may be alternative trade option for 76ers - via @ESPN App I could see Okafor here espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumo…

Mavs beat writers are already predicting that FA is going to be another disaster. FO is one big.

H6dlZp.gif

mjcry1.png

qcf x2

Honestly I think they'll miss the playoffs this year. Vogel did more with less than any other coach in the league.

Its certainly a much different team than last season but I don't think its any better. Guess we'll see.

Vogel is overrated. He's a good defensive coach, that's about it. He cost them the Raptors series w/ the same 3 play/fuckball + egg timer substitution shit he's been doing his entire career as a head coach. Lol @ suggesting they will miss the playoffs.

Is Thad Young still good? I haven't seen him play in a few seasons. On paper, the Pacers sound better than last season but I don't know for sure. Myles Turner's inevitable leap is going to ensure they're in the playoffs for a long time to come, though.

EDIT -- Zach Lowe thinks Young is going to start at C. I don't see that. Turner is obviously their center of the future.

Young is obviously the PF, Lowe has to be on strong drugs to say otherwise. Young is solid. He's not a star player and he's only ever been on bad teams, but he's a clear upgrade at the PF spot and we got him for... the 20th pick in a draft everybody is trying to get out of. Insane value.

More moves to come from Bird.

Ninja on a scale from 1-10.. How pissed would you be?

I mean, I'd be upset, I'd rather build around a young, cost controlled core than a guy on a big (But still reasonable) contract who might be past his prime by the time the Lakers are good again. Butler is good but it's just a panic move for this organization that shouldn't be making panic moves. We have a 38 year old coach, and a young ass core, let them develop together. You're not going to build a contender overnight. You don't have to win 50 games to have an entertaining team that fans will come out to watch. The TWolves were the darlings of the league as far as having a young, fun team and nobody mentions how they won 26 games last year.

spyder_ur

Man Hawks should've gave the Nets the 21st and a 2nd for Thad if that was all it took.

I'm shocked more teams wouldn't have jumped at that. Raptors for 23 and something else? I would have loved the Celts to trade 16 and let Sully walk. Denver for 15 or 19? Charlotte for 22 and change?

That being said, this shows that teams don't hate the draft as much as most thought - they think there's some value in the middle. Portland and Lakers supposedly trying to get into that range too.

Ah crap, I shouldnt have taken that sleeping pill then. Now I have to keep myself awake. Are there any streams out there?

Should be on WatchESPN, but I think you need a cable subscription.

Young is obviously the PF, Lowe has to be on strong drugs to say otherwise. Young is solid. He's not a star player and he's only ever been on bad teams, but he's a clear upgrade at the PF spot and we got him for... the 20th pick in a draft everybody is trying to get out of. Insane value.

More moves to come from Bird.

Lowe's thing is that while Young has skill he's very weak on D. Can't start him and Turner together or you'll get killed on the inside.

Jarate

Banned
What could the Sixers possibly have that Minny would want?

They were looking to trade away Rubio if someone would take on the Pekovic salary. #8 + Pekovic for Robert Covington, Richaun Holmes, Jerami Grant, pick in the 20's, etc etc...

Maybe they really like TJ McConnel

Jarate

Banned
Not even the Kings are that stupid...probably.

The trade they did last year was one of the stupidest trades of all time

We're owed a first rounder from them in 2019, the year after Boogies contract is up

Carl Landry shot ridiculously last year when he was able to play, he's gonna have value at the trade deadline, and Nik Stauskas is the worst basketball player alive, but that was good, because it allowed us to get Simmons

We also have some pick swaps for them too. That trade was horrid for the Kings

B.O.O.M

Blazers trying hard to get into the 1st round...

Please grab Deandre Bembre Portland.

Wait they are? I didn't see the news/rumor. in Olshey I trust. I think he will try hard to go for that Charlotte trade situation (for the salary dump of Hawes)

oh and Pacers absolutely killed it with the Thad Young trade gad damn

Jarate

Banned
Actually, a Nerlens + KAT defensive pairing would one of the scariest things in the league. It would hide a lot of Wiggins deficiencies

Gigglepoo

I really hope the Pelicans make some noise. Anthony Davis needs to realize his potential! I think he's going to get eclipsed by KAT this year if the Pelicans continue with their crap campaign.

oh and Pacers absolutely killed it with the Thad Young trade gad damn

Damn straight! There's a reason the Pacers are one of the most consistent teams in East. Imagine having their success with only one Top 10 pick (PG13 at #10) in the last twenty years. Pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

spyder_ur

I really hope the Pelicans make some noise. Anthony Davis needs to realize his potential! I think he's going to get eclipsed by KAT this year if the Pelicans continue with their crap campaign.

Damn straight! There's a reason the Pacers are one of the most consistent teams in East. Imagine having their success with only one Top 10 pick (PG13 at #10) in the last twenty years. Pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

Really- is that only one top 10 in 20 years thing true? Off the top of my head wasn't Jonathan Bender 5 or 6?

I love that trade for them though. They got a ton more athletic in 2 days.

B.O.O.M

Yeah truly impressive. I bet a lot of teams are facepalming for not reaching such a deal for Thad Young now..he has his issues but a very good player imho. Pacers are gonna be fun to see next season

Gigglepoo

Really- is that only one top 10 in 20 years thing true? Off the top of my head wasn't Jonathan Bender 5 or 6?

Bender was drafted 5th overall by the Raptors. The Pacers traded Antonio Davis to get him.

Pacers Lottery Picks:

2015 #11 -- Myles Turner
2010 #10 -- Paul George
2009 #13 -- Tyler Hansborough
2008 #11 -- Jerryd Bayless
2002 #14 -- Fred Jones
1997 #12 -- Austin Croshere
1996 #10 -- Erick Dampier

Those are their only picks in the top 14 from the last 20 years. During that stretch, they've been to the playoffs 14 times, the ECF 6 times, and the Finals once. Has anyone in the league done more with less?

I hate the Pacers.

why do they luck out so well.

the only L they ever have taken is losing Kawhi..

EDIT: personally I think Hill for Teague is an L because teague is regressing but their fanbase seems to love it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Dear God.....my bulls are going to fuck this roster up before the end of the night arebt they. Office going to blow everything up and then Gar/Pax quit after they just blow it up.

Well at least the pacers are going to be fun as hell to watch this year. To me that is a great starting 5.

Top Bottom