• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Cornbread78

How come I have a feeling the Celts are just going to sign a few random dudes for just enough to hit the NBA minimum, so they have enough cap space for 3, almost 4 max max contracts next year.... Those random dudes are going to get grossly over paid for 1 year terms.... Pick me Danny. I'll do it and not play.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Folks are going to get paid this offseason. Like Jeremy Lin is probably the 2nd best PG available in FA. Its a thin market with every team in the league having cash to spend.

How come I have a feeling the Celts are just going to sign a few random dudes for just enough to hit the NBA minimum, so they have enough cap space for 3, almost 4 max max contracts next year.... Those random dudes are going to get grossly over paid for 1 year terms.... Pick me Danny. I'll do it and not play.

Why not? Weak FA class. Boston ain't winning a chip this year either so expect some short term moves right now lol.

Kwhit10

If they don't get Durant or Horford I want them to just get to the salary floor and play all the rookies and young guys find who will be good bench players while th ey are on rookie deals. Maybe even increase their trade value.

If they don't get Durant or Horford I want them to just get to the salary floor and play all the rookies and young guys find who will be good bench players while th ey are on rookie deals. Maybe even increase their trade value.

At some point Ainge has to do something though, the treadmill of mediocrity is the worst place to be in the NBA. I don't want to just keep on trotting out a bunch of mid tier rookies, especially when sooner than later the C's are going to have to pay some of these guys actual contracts.

Cornbread78

At some point Ainge has to do something though, the treadmill of mediocrity is the worst place to be in the NBA. I don't want to just keep on trotting out a bunch of mid tier rookies, especially when sooner than later the C's are going to have to pay some of these guys actual contracts.

This is and continues to be my worst fear..... It's like the past couple seasons and most of the early 2000's all over again...

Why not? Weak FA class. Boston ain't winning a chip this year either so expect some short term moves right now lol.

I really think his hands are really tied at this point because these top FA's are NOT coming to Boston and we should expect it at this point. There is also very little in regards to that top tier talent available. I also think Durant is just going through the motions with Boston for his buddy Isiah and nothing else; we know those dudes are tight, but..... It's good for a meet and great, but there is not another top tier player available in FA to pair him with and attract him to come to Boston. I don't think Horford, Barnes, or Howard is enough to pull him away from Westbrook. I mean, even out of those guys, only Howard will probably leave his current team.

Oh well, Next year will be interesting:
http://hoopshype.com/2016/05/14/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/

Unrestricted:
Curry
Westbrook
Rose
Teague
Ibaka
Iguodala
Holiday
Hill
Gibson
Redick
Randolf

Player Options:
Paul
Griffen
Millsap
Hayward
Monroe
Lowry
Gay

Who I think the Celts will overpay to hit the salary floor:
(These types of guys)
Luol Deng
Marvin Williams
Bismack Biyombo
J.R. Smith
Jared Dudley
Eric Gordon
Big Al

OK, we'll know almost everything by Tuesday since the contracts have already "unofficially" been drawn up anyhow...

Cheebo

Banned
Horford is not going to Celtics. Pistons cleared cap space to give him max as well and meeting with him this weekend. And Pistons makes WAAAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAAY more sense than Celtics for big Al if he doesn't go to OKC or doesn't stay in Atlanta.

Both Celtics and Pistons become the #2 team in east easily with big Al. But Pistons is big Al's hometown team, he was raised in Michigan and his family is all there. His long-time agent Arn Tellem now officially works in the Pistons front office. Al's long time agent who quit to work for Pistons this year is expected to be leading the charge on selling him on Pistons when they meet this weekend after all.

Absolutely no chance Big Al would pick Boston over Pistons. Would make no sense. Two teams that would have similar standing in East with him, but only 1 is his hometown team and has his agent working for them.

Only 3 teams have a chance at Horford. Atlanta, OKC, and Detroit. I say Atlanta is still the most likely option, they can pay him the most.

Would that clear up space for a 2nd max? God help us all if it does.

I think it would depend on how much of a pay cut Wade would be willing to take.

Horford is not going to Celtics. Pistons cleared cap space to give him max as well and meeting with him this weekend. And Pistons makes WAAAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAAY more sense than Celtics for big Al if he doesn't go to OKC or stays in Atlanta.

Both Celtics and Pistons become the #2 team in east easily with big Al. But Pistons is big Al's hometown team, he was raised in Michigan and his family is all here. His long-time agent Arn Tellem now officially works in the Pistons front office. Big Al's long time agent who quit to work for Pistons this year is expected to be leading the charge on selling Al on Pistons when they meet this weekend after all.

Absolutely no chance Big Al would pick Boston over Pistons. Would make no sense.

Only 3 teams have a chance at Horford. Atlanta, OKC, and Detroit. I say Atlanta is still the most likely option, they can pay him the most.

Boston still has a chance since they can sign a second max player quite easily. For what it's worth Atlanta apparently doesn't want to give him a 5th year.

Kwhit10

Also if you listen to Lowe's podcast with Marc Stein, when they talk about Durant they don't mention Boston once during the whole conversation. He's not coming to Boston even though it'd be nice.

$18M for Noah isn't that bad as long as it isn't a long contract.

I don't think a guy is committing to a deal at 12:01 unless it's a long term one, or one that meets all his demands. $18 million for multiple years for a guy with the kind of mileage and wear and tear that Noah has is just asking for trouble. I would never commit big money to anyone that has played for Thibs.

Doesn't Boston have to make a decision on renouncing Amir and JJ before their meeting with KD? That could make things dicey.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it would depend on how much of a pay cut Wade would be willing to take.

Boston still has a chance since they can sign a second max player quite easily. For what it's worth Atlanta apparently doesn't want to give him a 5th year.

Pistons also resigning their max player Drummond this summer. Celtics with Horford and Pistons with Horford would be pretty much equal teams in terms of being the second best in the East. And Detroit offers working with his boy Tellem and being in his home state. Pistons were his team growing up. When the on the court advantages are basically 50/50 those intangibles, especially his long time agent working for Pistons come into play (Telllem was pretty much hired purely for wooing free agents he represented).

Has there even been any word about Boston even meeting with him this weekend? Only teams I seen mentioned getting a meeting so far is Atlanta and Detroit with OKC trying to get in there now too.

If Atlanta doesn't give him year 5 its going to be OKC or Detroit. I think Atlanta will give in the end and give him the cash he wants and will stay though.

I don't think a guy is committing to a deal at 12:01 unless it's a long term one, or one that meets all his demands. $18 million for multiple years for a guy with the kind of mileage and wear and tear that Noah has is just asking for trouble. I would never commit big money to anyone that has played for Thibs.

Doesn't Boston have to make a decision on renouncing Amir and JJ before their meeting with KD? That could make things dicey.

The most likely scenario is that the C's are going to pick up their options and then move them in trades if it comes to that. Amir is set to make $12M and Jonas is going to make $5M, those will be easy to move.

Pistons also resigning their max player Drummond this summer. Celtics with Horford and Pistons with Horford would be pretty much equal teams in terms of being the second best in the East. And Detroit offers working with his boy Tellem and being in his home state. Pistons were his team growing up.

Has there even been any word about Boston even meeting with him this weekend? Only teams I seen mentioned getting a meeting so far is Atlanta and Detroit with OKC trying to get in there now too.

I'm not saying Horford is definitely coming to Boston but being able to offer him a max and the opportunity to pair him with potentially any other free agent could be quite the enticing offer. As for the meeting, I haven't seen any confirmed meetings for Horford yet just that a bunch of teams are trying to get meetings.

Bread

Banned
If they want to sell him on the space for two max contracts then yeah they would have to get rid of those 2.

I hope they do, they are decent bench players but aren't putting us over the top. Swing for the fences and hope for Durant wanting to play with Horford, Howard, or Whiteside.

Bread

Banned
https://amp.twimg.com/v/be98a7a0-2fb7-4796-a295-d7f8c37d924e

And so begins the Durant sweepstakes. May God have mercy on us all.
sam presti's haircut
YMtlbsV.png

Top Bottom