• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

I disagree with the idea that the Sixer's didn't have a "professional" mind set in place for their players. As much shit as people give them, the only 2 player issues were Joel Embiid liking Shirley Temples a lot, and Okafor 2 spats early in the season (which I have no problem with beating up a Celtics fan tbh) and this is also ignoring that they had Carl Landry on their roster the entire season. You can read Elton Brands thoughts on the organization and how it was run. The Practice Facility is going to be the best in the USA and maybe the world once it's done, probably will be used by Team USA, the sports science programs were amazing, and you can see that with Carl Landry and Elton Brand having viable NBA seasons. Carl Landry is going to be a huge piece for the Sixer's to trade this trade deadline, especially if he continues his shooting.

This idea that you need veterans is absolutely asinine to me tbh. Every team on earth has had veterans on their team and have had way worse cultural issues then the Sixer's ever had.

The idea that you need veterans isn't asinine to me. You have a lot of your roster composed of a bunch of teenagers that are new millionaires and all the pitfalls that those factors entail are in play. Sure, they are adults, but there's value in having an educational and professional environment along with a support system to help these individuals develop adequately in a holistic sense, you see there's more to development beyond basketball regardless if fans care about that aspect of the players. The question with a team like the sixers is how many NBA players have you actually developed during the process? Sure, you have hoarded assets, but which players has this professional system and infrastructure has actually developed?

Jarate

Banned
The idea that you need veterans isn't asinine to me. You have a lot of your roster composed of a bunch of teenagers that are new millionaires and all the pitfalls that those factors entail are in play. Sure, they are adults, but there's value in having an educational and professional environment along with a support system to help these individuals develop adequately in a holistic sense, you see there's more to development beyond basketball regardless if fans care about that aspect of the players. The question with a team like the sixers is how many NBA players have you actually developed during the process? Sure, you have hoarded assets, but which players has this professional system and infrastructure has actually developed?

in 3 years they have developed Roco, Jerami Grant, & Nerlens Noel. Saric, Embiid hasvent been able to play, but will play next year, MCW got traded, Okafor played 1 year

Do you honestly think that adding a random vet wouldve helped at all with development? They also had Carl Landry on the roster too.

Jarate

Banned
The way the Cavs players talk about James Jones definitely shows that you need vets to manage personalities.

Don't get me wrong, they are helpful towards teams that are actively trying to win games for that season. That was never the goal of the first 3 years of the process. The goal was to lose games and get the players that you can make a run with

Like I said, ive been reading a lot about tanking recently, and basically, tanking was deemed to be worth it in the NBA if you got the #1 pick, and lost less then 20 games that you were supposed to win. Is there any universe in which the Sixers last year couldve won an extra 20 games?

The only issues we heard about coming from an active player was Jahlil Okafor beating up a Celtics fan who basically stalked him to a bar. Im not going to sit here and yell at a 7 foot huge guy for beating up an annoying asshole Celtics fan. I posit this to you Lakers fans, would you be horribly upset if Julius Randle beat the shit out of LyleLanley? I dont think so.

The only other thing we heard about was the Embiid Shirley Temple situation.

in 3 years they have developed Roco, Jerami Grant, & Nerlens Noel. Saric, Embiid hasvent been able to play, but will play next year, MCW got traded, Okafor played 1 year

Do you honestly think that adding a random vet wouldve helped at all with development? They also had Carl Landry on the roster too.

Not played, developed as in they are better now that when they entered the org as rookies. The only players above replacement level are Grant, Covington & Noel.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2016.html#advanced::26

A middling team like the bucks has 2 times as many players while having way less assets.

The only issues we heard about coming from an active player was Jahlil Okafor beating up a Celtics fan who basically stalked him to a bar. Im not going to sit here and yell at a 7 foot huge guy for beating up an annoying asshole Celtics fan. I posit this to you Lakers fans, would you be horribly upset if Julius Randle beat the shit out of LyleLanley? I dont think so.

I thought Jah was caught doing stupid shit in Philly too. As for Randle beating me up, I might actually respect him for that.

Jarate

Banned
Not played, developed as in they are better now that when they entered the org as rookies. The only players above replacement level are Grant, Covington & Noel.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2016.html#advanced::26

A middling team like the bucks has 2 times as many players while having way less assets.

The Bucks were in a way better situation then the Sixers were 3 years ago. I dont think people comprehend how bad the Sixers were. Ive gone over it many times before. The Nets Right now are basically what the Sixers were

Let's also ignore Saric who has become way better and developed his game dramatically.

Also, let's ignore TJ McConnel, a 14.8 PER undrafted rookie, Richaun Holmes, a second round pick who can legit play in the NBA, Jakarr Sampson got a lot better, MCW was at his most productive in Philly, Ish Smith gained value from playing in Philly, Carl Landry played really well for them. The goal was too never develop these middling asset players into superstars either. They were to develop into role players which they can then trade for better value due to their great contracts. I also almost forgot about Hollis Thompson as well

The Sixers developed player well in the very limited time they were here, and the players they did trade all have gotten worse overall. (MCW can't start, and KJ McDaniels can't even play) 2 of their premiere assets will be playing for the first time this year, everything indicates that Embiid is a lot better then he was after college (his body developed tremendously, he grew 2 inches, has added an outside shot to his game) and Saric has played phenomenally for Efes in Turkey putting up tremendous stats in his limited playtime.

There were no franchises in a worse place then the Sixers post Andrew Bynum trade. They legitimately had 1 valuble asset that was Jrue Holliday who had exploding knees. Now they have easily one of the best draft pick situations in the entire league. The idea that a veteran would have made the players better is baffling. Read what Elton brand had to say about how well the organization was run under Hinkie. Premiere practice facilities, premiere sports science program, players all liked each other, never complained about the city, or the state of the team while they were here. What will adding a random vet do? Elton Brand did what for Okafor last year? Same with Landry? And what would this insurgence of Veteran Prescences wouldve done to make the team better. There is nothing out there saying that the players arent training 100% and aren't playing 100%, in fact, Brett Brown is respected across the league for getting his players to play every night. All Vets wouldve done is make us win 14-20 games instead of 10 which means we have worse odds for Simmons.

Jarate

Banned
I thought Jah was caught doing stupid shit in Philly too. As for Randle beating me up, I might actually respect him for that.

There were 3 things I heard about

- Beating up a Celtics fan
- Speed citations
- Being in the same car of a guy who had a gun pointed at him

Yes, these are all dangerous situations that he obviously shouldnt be in. The last one is obviously the scariest one, but people made it out like it was his fault or some shit when everything ive read about it said that Okafor had nothing to do with it. I also think a lot of this has to do with a lot of casual racism from Philly media tbh as well. Pat Burrel, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter etc etc have all done supposedly way worse things then Okafor ever did. Just this time, people had cell phones.

Im not implying either that "vets" couldnt have helped Okafor at all to avoid any of these situations, but sometimes, a 19 year old is gonna do stupid things. But where was Carl Landry during all this? Why didnt he help him out there? Oh yeah, it's because these guys are pro athletes and not pro babysitters. 19 year olds are 19 year olds sometimes. I like what okafor did a lot more then what Russel did in every situation

Bread

Banned
not that I remember, Only thing I remember he did that caused controversy was him saying that MCW wasnt a real PG after he was traded to the Bucks.
real good kids on that team!
According to TMZ, the list of grievances against Noel includes extreme water damage, a broken elevator, torn window screens, a broken dishwasher and clogged toilets "filled with cotton balls and feces."

Furthermore, "the owners say they also found weed and roaches from joints in the home—including pieces of marijuana in the master bathroom drawers," according to TMZ.

The homeowners reportedly sought $42,000 to repair the alleged damages initially, but they've since upped the price to "more than $75,000" after a tombstone inscribed with the letters "RIP" appeared on their doorstep.

According to TMZ, the homeowners "believe it was Noel's doing and are considering it a death threat."

Off-court troubles are nothing new for a young Sixers team that has had to deal with Jahlil Okafor's transgressions all season. Back in November, video emerged of Okafor punching a man outside of a Boston bar, per TMZ, and he was subsequently suspended two games for his actions.

Jarate

Banned
Who gives a shit about a 20 year old trashing an apartment, and we haven't heard anything else about the tombstone thing, so I doubt it really happened tbh

The Bucks were in a way better situation then the Sixers were 3 years ago. I dont think people comprehend how bad the Sixers were. Ive gone over it many times before. The Nets Right now are basically what the Sixers were

Let's also ignore Saric who has become way better and developed his game dramatically.

Also, let's ignore TJ McConnel, a 14.8 PER undrafted rookie, Richaun Holmes, a second round pick who can legit play in the NBA, Jakarr Sampson got a lot better, MCW was at his most productive in Philly, Ish Smith gained value from playing in Philly, Carl Landry played really well for them. The goal was too never develop these middling asset players into superstars either. They were to develop into role players which they can then trade for better value due to their great contracts. I also almost forgot about Hollis Thompson as well

The Sixers developed player well in the very limited time they were here, and the players they did trade all have gotten worse overall. (MCW can't start, and KJ McDaniels can't even play) 2 of their premiere assets will be playing for the first time this year, everything indicates that Embiid is a lot better then he was after college (his body developed tremendously, he grew 2 inches, has added an outside shot to his game) and Saric has played phenomenally for Efes in Turkey putting up tremendous stats in his limited playtime.

There were no franchises in a worse place then the Sixers post Andrew Bynum trade. They legitimately had 1 valuble asset that was Jrue Holliday who had exploding knees. Now they have easily one of the best draft pick situations in the entire league. The idea that a veteran would have made the players better is baffling. Read what Elton brand had to say about how well the organization was run under Hinkie. Premiere practice facilities, premiere sports science program, players all liked each other, never complained about the city, or the state of the team while they were here. What will adding a random vet do? Elton Brand did what for Okafor last year? Same with Landry? And what would this insurgence of Veteran Prescences wouldve done to make the team better. There is nothing out there saying that the players arent training 100% and aren't playing 100%, in fact, Brett Brown is respected across the league for getting his players to play every night. All Vets wouldve done is make us win 14-20 games instead of 10 which means we have worse odds for Simmons.

I agree Hinkie did good on the basketball side of things, the actions taken have improve the future prospect for that team in orders of magnitudes. I just think that some mentors on the players side would have been good. Neither Landry or Brand are those players. Did you forgot the cocaine clippers? He isn't a leader. Which player is leading those young guys on the team on how to be a professional NBA player on and off the court? that's my only question for Hinkie.

Fjordson

Damn, Warriors starting to throw guys off the ship lmao.

Warriors' frustration with Bogut could lead to trade

Warriors to let James Michael McAdoo walk

Exactly what I was thinking lol. GS is also a small market team but the exposure to being the best made people realize they have another California team. Big market teams IMO are just LA and NYC.
Golden State / Bay Area is definitely not a small market. Nothing matches LA and NY, but it's far from what's usually considered "small market" in sports.

Small market is SA, OKC, Milwaukee, Utah, etc.

Golden State / Bay Area is definitely not a small market. Nothing matches LA and NY, but it's far from what's usually considered "small market" in sports.

Small market is SA, OKC, Milwaukee, Utah, etc.

Nobody was a Warriors fan until 2015. While I will say that the market potential for GS is definitely there, they weren't even relevant until now. I guess I should say instead that GS wasn't considered in the same tier as, I guess, Chicago or Boston until their recent dominance.

Why does Tim Duncan need money? Wasn't he paid the max X endorsements throughout his career?

I thought he'd be smart to sign the vet min along with Ginobili to save money X sign the future

He's 40 years old and his earning potential for the rest of his life is pretty much over after this season. MIght as well take as much as you can.

Top Bottom