• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

how do you do the signature moves where the player glows? Done it a few times, but no idea how. Is it just random?

Also how exactly do you do the spectacular dunks?

If you're wondering about that particular challenge where you have to do 4 spectacular dunks, just dunk as you normally would. It worked for me.

MrBlonde

Enjoying the game for the most part but after having some more time with it I definitely have a few complaints that I hope are addressed.

- 3 pointers should not be easier then simple shots, ally oops, dunks and layups. There are way to many misses on easy shots and I should not be more comfortable pulling up for 3 all the time plus I don't want to play that way. Button timing is a mess on dunks and layups.

- Rebounding sucks and blocked shots are pretty hard to pull off, I know some say the stealing is OP but I haven't come across this yet however I haven't hit the harder tournaments yet. Also I hate games like this with cheap AI and having to repeat challenges over and over, again haven't hit the hard ones yet but from what I've read and seen on YouTube there is definitely some bullshit ones.

- The delay and waiting for the whistle to inbound the ball after a score is very annoying, slows things down to much.

- I get some weird loud vibration and it sounds like my controller is about to break, playing on the Xbox I have never had this loud or annoying of a vibration before. I don't see anything in the settings to shut this off and I don't want to shut it off for all games in my Xbox settings.

- Some of the player stats for Epics and Legends should be a little higher in most categories, I got lucky and got Lebron and Wall already and everything should be at least 1 point higher. Lebron should be an absolute beast and playing one game with him and looking at those stats it doesnt seem like it but well see. I'm sure there are others too that I have not come across yet.

I really hope these few things get addressed and if so this game could be almost flawless and I could see myself playing the hell out of this for a long time. My biggest thing if I had to pick one would be to make dunks and layups go in WAY more then they do and make the button timing on those more forgiving.

Just so I am clear ranking up your players just unlocks more crossover variations and dunks and doesn't do anything to the stats correct?

Zoanoid33

The 3 pointers are waaaaaay to easy to make in this game. They seriously need to rework the entire shooting meter mechanic it's so clunky. I have beaten all the tournaments and the game can be great fun but online matches have been a joke.
Played 5 different people who would turbo to the 3 spot with John Stockton and Jack it up everytime. I can block it maybe 1 out of every 5 shots, but it just sails right over my hands most the time. Either I don't understand the mechanics of stopping the 3 or its just blind luck if you can block it.

Umbooki

Stuck trying to do 10 spectacular dunks in a row. Shoutouts to Kyle Lowry having some of the best stats in the game, though. Y'know, because that should be a thing on a roster with Iverson and other HoF guards.

trixx

3 point shooting should probably take into account percentages, have some rng in there. Though it would lead to everyone picking guys like steph, potentially klay, Eric Gordon and such

derFeef

stats based not timing based shots would be the best solution imo. I mean I am mostly used to it, but it's no good for gameplay.

Following through on a layup seems pointless with how often I miss. Just kick it to the outside for an almost guaranteed 3.

Also it's realllly hard to steal and block in the LV tournament. Was getting like 10 steals a game earlier, now I am lucky to get 1-2.

Every other shot the AI takes also happens to be a perfect shot for the +1.

Umbooki

Following through on a layup seems pointless with how often I miss. Just kick it to the outside for an almost guaranteed 3.

Also it's realllly hard to steal and block in the LV tournament. Was getting like 10 steals a game earlier, now I am lucky to get 1-2.

Every other shot the AI takes also happens to be a perfect shot for the +1.
There's nothing quite like watching a Super Deformed Bill Russell splash fadeaway 3s over Wilt Chamberlain. The AI ramps up to a point where they don't miss at all and defense revolves around fishing for steals or hunting blocks.

I knew this game was gonna be Arcadey, but there can be a balance between Sim and Mike D'Antoni's wet dream.

Zoanoid33

Shaq hitting fadeaways from half court...wondering if these devs know basketball at all. Some of these players stats make zero sense too. John Wall at 7 speed? SMH

datamage

Still not sure how I feel about this, however, my biggest gripe right now is how long it takes to inbound the ball after the opponent scores. Really slows down the pace of the game.

Mugy

Okey so this is my question: Secret characters. Is there any? How does the game feels compared to NBA JAM OFE?

Purist

Neo Member
I got the CP3 epic card in my first pack and haven't won by less than 15 points against the cpu opponents. His steal rate seems absolutely broken, and he can just send Willis Reed for an alley oop attempt that seems to work 9 out of 10 times.

Sound about right! LOL.

bumpkin

Okey so this is my question: Secret characters. Is there any? How does the game feels compared to NBA JAM OFE?
No idea about your first question, but to the second, I'll put it this way; if OFE was also available, I'd have bought that instead.

I don't hate Playgrounds, I quite like it. I just think it needs some tweaks.

dreamfall

The thing about three point shooting is that really, it's not the only weapon of offense. Yesterday online I played against a KD Steph combo and the opponent just tried to three point shoot the entire game.

If you mix up your combos with dunks and alley-oops, your Lottery Meter builds up faster and you're able to swing everything in your favor. There's and element of strategy of going for any easy 3/4 versus the payoff of building meter from showstopping dunks. I was Cousins and George and after being down ten, I came back dunking and triggering lottery for a 2x and sweet shot combos.

Everything takes some major practice getting used to, but I have learned effectively how to block against shots and dunks and it's a ton of fun. It's no NBA Street but we needed a game like this.

jmizzal

The thing about three point shooting is that really, it's not the only weapon of offense. Yesterday online I played against a KD Steph combo and the opponent just tried to three point shoot the entire game.

If you mix up your combos with dunks and alley-oops, your Lottery Meter builds up faster and you're able to swing everything in your favor. There's and element of strategy of going for any easy 3/4 versus the payoff of building meter from showstopping dunks. I was Cousins and George and after being down ten, I came back dunking and triggering lottery for a 2x and sweet shot combos.

Everything takes some major practice getting used to, but I have learned effectively how to block against shots and dunks and it's a ton of fun. It's no NBA Street but we needed a game like this.

Yea hitting 3 pointers dont build up your meter fast, getting dunks and steals builds it up much faster

FinKL

https://twitter.com/nba_playgrounds/status/862322511823818755

Gold packs are also earned by leveling up after reaching level 50. Exhibition matches give experience so it is possible to level up that way

Are they serious??? Of course a lot of the players you want are "Legendary/Epic", and the fact that you get a pack per level is going to sour a lot of people and open it up to Microtransactions.

It really needs to be 1 pack per game considering you're not even guaranteed an Epic AND it's not like it gives you players you don't already own. You could never get the full roster if RNG is not on your side.

I hope they are listening

I'm only through New York Tournament stage and have got about probably 10 packs (3 starter) and 1 gold pack, I'm anticipating the packs come slower the higher your level? Maybe I'm fuming steam and packs are easy to come by
Seems the best way to grind is exhibition mode. Set match for 10pts to win and AI on rookie. Can finish games in 30 seconds. Then just hit replay and do it again.
Oh, there's the trick!

jtrov

Was breezing through tournament mode until I hit Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in the finals in Paris. (Clippers in the finals? Lol) they have ridiculous steal rates, so I haven't been able to beat them yet.

Paul and Griffin were my downfall after steam rolling my way through the two other tournaments. It was a hell of wake up call after beating teams by an average of 20+ points only to run into a team that wouldn't let me cross halfcourt without getting ripped lol.

Finally beat them earlier today and the gold pack rewarded me with Hakeem and Wilkins, so I'm pretty stoked about that pull. Can't wait to try them out after work. Would be nice to finally pull AI though lol.

newsguy

I can't seem to get the timing of shots right. It's always early or late. I'm going through the tutorial and literally can't make a single shot. WTF

Don't time to the peak of the shot. In your head count 1, 2 and release the button. That has worked for me after seeing the tip here. The only time it doesn't is on layups, but that's a whole other can of "wtf is this shit" worms.

Glix

stats based not timing based shots would be the best solution imo. I mean I am mostly used to it, but it's no good for gameplay.

It's both. The timing window is much bigger when taking a three with Chris Paul compared to Mutumbo.

newsguy

Any tips for blocks?

I had Dekembe and Walton on the same team just to get the 6 blocks in a game gold trophy and it took me like 10 tries. There definitely isn't a way to block at will. You just need a player with a high block stat and time the jump with the opponent as best you can. After that I think it's just a dice roll.

AGoodODST

I had Dekembe and Walton on the same team just to get the 6 blocks in a game gold trophy and it took me like 10 tries. There definitely isn't a way to block at will. You just need a player with a high block stat and time the jump with the opponent as best you can. After that I think it's just a dice roll.

Tried ten times just to get the 3 block in one game one haha. Yeah I'll just kee trying.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd like to use AI but Kyle Lowry seems better stat-wise. Wtf c'mon.

Matticers

Is anyone else having issues with stealing once you get to the Paris tournament? I'd rack up double digit steals if I tried on the previous courts but once you start this one it's like... good god. I can swipe non-stop the entire game with guys like Kawhi who has a good steal rating and I literally can't get a single steal. It's crazy. Meanwhile, they take it from me with ease even when I'm doing crossover moves. Kind of frustrating. And I'm not some noob to these games. I'm a long time Jam and Street vet so that just adds to the frustration. lol

Is anyone else having issues with stealing once you get to the Paris tournament? I'd rack up double digit steals if I tried on the previous courts but once you start this one it's like... good god. I can swipe non-stop the entire game with guys like Kawhi who has a good steal rating and I literally can't get a single steal. It's crazy. Meanwhile, they take it from me with ease even when I'm doing crossover moves. Kind of frustrating. And I'm not some noob to these games. I'm a long time Jam and Street vet so that just adds to the frustration. lol

Paris court the one that ends with Paul and Blake right? I had issues with Kawhi as well with stealing here.

Was able to play through the first tournament this morning. Only planned on playing a game or two and ended up playing much more. Was pretty fun though the timing can still be difficult to get right.

Also Jason Kidds steal ability is pretty awesome lol

So what's the consensus? Worth it?

I've had a lot of fun with it in the limited time I played it. FWIW I'm playing on Switch and while it is a bit blurry it seems to play fine and for me isn't a big deal.

I'm enjoying the game a lot at the moment. Is there any bonus for getting all the challenges in a tournament? I have had 2 instances where I did not get credit for completing the challenge

bumpkin

Was able to play through the first tournament this morning. Only planned on playing a game or two and ended up playing much more. Was pretty fun though the timing can still be difficult to get right.

Also Jason Kidds steal ability is pretty awesome lol

I've had a lot of fun with it in the limited time I played it. FWIW I'm playing on Switch and while it is a bit blurry it seems to play fine and for me isn't a big deal.
John Stockton's is pretty boss, too.

Glix

John Stockton's is pretty boss, too.

CPU Stockton is a MONSTER.

Not only does he have the fastest hands in the league, but he can jump onto the rim and then jump again and slam it home while the Mailman just stands there and pouts. Its hysterical.

MarveI

Sorry for asking the obvious questions but what are the options in terms of online ? Can you play 2vs2 with a friend ? Or vs a friend ?

iso135

Has anyone else had issues getting the gold trophy for scoring 20 points with only twos to pop?

I have done it twice now and not received the trophy.

Brunire

I'm enjoying the game a lot at the moment. Is there any bonus for getting all the challenges in a tournament? I have had 2 instances where I did not get credit for completing the challenge

I think if you clear all challenges for a tournament you get a new ball variant.

M.W.

Just won all of the tournaments with nowitzki and conley. Guess it is time to grind now...

Exhibition mode on rookie, set the score for 10. Choose chump AI teammates. You can win a game in under 30 seconds. You get 100XP each game. Hit replay and not continue to load the same game and do it again. I believe this is the fastest way to gain XP and get packs. Tourneys/MP take too long.

joeposh

This game is a patch away from being really great, and I am already throughly enjoying it on the Switch.

I have had no problem with shooting, reliably hitting dunks, 3's and close shots with two Epic players. I agree that it's annoying that they aren't clearer about ideal release range for different shot types, but I think it's pretty easy to figure out once you start playing.

The things I have struggled with are rebounds, shot blocking and loose ball retrieval,but some of that is to be expected this early on with the game. All the reports of "steal spamming" breaking the game are oversold, if anything it's crossover heavy CPU's that are impossible to stop.

Game looks fine to me in portable mode, but I am also not a resolution stickler. I honestly forgot about that gripe completely until about an hour in.

Overall, there are some balance issues, optimizing and game modes that need to be addressed/added but this game is super fun already. It's also really refreshing to play a game with packs that isn't dependent on virtual currency and micro transactions.

DrDogg

jmizzal

I didnt know this game had a lot of signature moves so far I have seen
Allen Iverson crossover
Dirk one leg fade away
Hakeem Olajuwon - The Dream Shake
Magic Johnson no look pass

The commentators will say something about it when they do it

Top Bottom