• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
So I've finished the tournament with all golds, except the 15 steals in a game one. I remember when people first got their hands on the game they said steals is op, but idk they seem kind of hard to come by.

I was playing Tournament and then the AI opponent passed the ball to his teammate and then suddenly they got stars around them. What is that? Is that a special move?

DrDogg

So I've finished the tournament with all golds, except the 15 steals in a game one. I remember when people first got their hands on the game they said steals is op, but idk they seem kind of hard to come by.

Play a human opponent. Against a "good" player it's basically just who can steal the most and shoot a 3 before they get the ball stolen. That's literally all there is to the game if you want to win.

MrBlonde

The easy miss lay ups and dunks is starting to turn me off from this game. Cheap AI is a little much too, I am on the Blake Griffin / Chris Paul challenge and I'm about to throw my controller, they never miss a shot and constantly steal the ball from me!!!

MarveI

How do you peeps do jumpshots ? I can only score with dunks.
I know it's about timing but at what point do you release the shot button ?

jmizzal

Layups and what not are so easy. How are yall missing? I'm better at those than 3s I hold it for like 1.5seconds.

I can dunk and hit 3's but cant hit a layup, i'll try what you just said

I got good at ally ops with CP3 and DeAndre Jordan

edit
haha well that works, now I can hit layups thanks

3s for me work with a 1-2 then release from a standing position..1- then release when moving. I've had the most success on dunks with a 1- then release input. Layups... a 1- ahh I have no fucking clue on this one. I always miss no matter when I release.

Also, I'm playing on switch. Hope this helps some of y'all

nickerous

The easy miss lay ups and dunks is starting to turn me off from this game. Cheap AI is a little much too, I am on the Blake Griffin / Chris Paul challenge and I'm about to throw my controller, they never miss a shot and constantly steal the ball from me!!!

Same here. I've won 20 out of 29 games, but they have beaten me 4 times tonight.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The constant perfect shots and automatic steals from the late tournament AI is starting to wear me out.

newsguy

3s for me work with a 1-2 then release from a standing position..1- then release when moving. I've had the most success on dunks with a 1- then release input. Layups... a 1- ahh I have no fucking clue on this one. I always miss no matter when I release.

Also, I'm playing on switch. Hope this helps some of y'all

Same exact strategy here. Fuck a layup

The star shot powerup seems kind of broken compared to the others. It should only last 1 shot attempt, not multiple possessions. I've seen it result in 20 point swings in games multiple times now (both in my favor and against). Doesn't help that stand up jumpers are the easiest shots to hit in the game.

The star shot powerup seems kind of broken compared to the others. It should only last 1 shot attempt, not multiple possessions. I've seen it result in 20 point swings in games multiple times now (both in my favor and against). Doesn't help that stand up jumpers are the easiest shots to hit in the game.

Stand up three's are easy wins against CPU

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
how's the switch version?

Worth buying on the switch?

There's no online but, supposedly, it's coming pretty soon. Looks fine docked. Resolution in handheld seems surprisingly low, but I've adjusted after a bit of initial annoyance. Load times seem longer than they should be for a game like this, but I'm not sure how they compare to other versions.

I'm not in love with the game, but I certainly don't regret my purchase. It's one I'll probably keep installed on my Switch for a long time, unless a similar game knocks it off.

ViciousDS

Banned
How long you need to hold the button is dependent on the rating I think, like I literally can do a layup with rondo and nearly tap the button for a perfect release.

I can't wait to start my switch version tonight

I agree about the AI being rough after first 3 tournaments. Perfect shot every time it seems. Basically make one or two mistakes and you lose unless you get bailed out by the lottery.

I have Gold Stephen Curry and I am barely winning with 3 spam and Bill Walton's stellar D.

Two things that seriously need to change in my opinion.

1. The way they determine miss and made dunks needs to changed. I have no problem making 3's but timing the dunks and lay-ups makes the game EXTREMELY ANNOYING and frustrating.

2. The whole process of inbounding the ball after your opponent scores needs to be sped up. Having to wait for the ref to give you the ball and then blow his whistle is just silly and annoying.

DirtyLarry

My one and only question as I am on the fence about picking this up for the Switch (which I just got yesterday)...
How is it as a Single Player only experience?
Primarily I would be playing this by myself, and as much as I loved NBA Jam back in the day, it got a little boring playing solo.

I have Mario Kart 8 arriving tomorrow from Amazon, so I am really feeling like I should possibly hold off especially if it is not really a game that is enjoyed playing by oneself. But I am open to being swayed to check it out. I do have $33 in eStore credit and I am only thinking about picking up Shovel Knight Spectre. Although with Tax on both I think I will be $1 or $2 short.

TIA,
DL

JustenP88

2. The whole process of inbounding the ball after your opponent scores needs to be sped up. Having to wait for the ref to give you the ball and then blow his whistle is just silly and annoying.

Have you had them do a dance afyer scoring yet? Holy guacamole, that was annoying. Like a 10 second unskippable dance where Karl Malone does the goddamn worm and all sorts of other nonsense when I'd just like to play please thanks.

Lol just beat Shaq and AI on my first try. Got super lucky. The bullshit started early with Shaq hitting perfect fadeaway 3s from ridiculous angles. I was down 20-5 to start. Debated restarting at that point. Then I got the star shot and figured I'd test my luck. Hit all 3 shots which brought me back into the game. My next powerup was the 12 second shot clock, which the CPU really seems to struggle against so I was able to rack up another 9 answered points from 3s and just coasted from there. You can never give up in this game. The powerups are everything.

ElNino

Have you had them do a dance afyer scoring yet? Holy guacamole, that was annoying. Like a 10 second unskippable dance where Karl Malone does the goddamn worm and all sorts of other nonsense when I'd just like to play please thanks.
Lebron does that for my son, but we still can't figure out what triggers it.

hyp

the Japan level on Switch (undocked) is clunky, noticing a lower frame rate. i'm not alone right?

AcridMeat

Banned
Digging into this game finally now. How do you change your team in tournaments? Or in the main menu for that matter? Only ever did it in exhibition, or is that the only place?

edit: Figured it out, you have to hit back 2-3 times to get to the first player on your team's selection. Yeaaah that's not intuitive at all for that screen.
Eww Matt Barnes included but no Giannis Antetokounmpo

Will pick this up
Yeah that's pretty foul...

newsguy

Bought on switch. Really regretting it. These graphics look like they're from the 90s. They're not even as sharp as OG NBA Jam.

While you're exaggerating a bit, the graphics are really blurry on a 4k screen. They look just like Skate 3 does, and that's damn blurry.

Sh0k

Any tips on getting rebounds? Playing on Switch and so far can't get a damn rebound when I go after the ball.

They need Raptors era Vince Carter in the game. Seeing one of the greatest dunkers of all time with a dunk rating of 5 is sad to see. Rest of his stats are surprisingly good though if he is based on present day VC.

AcridMeat

Banned
Rondo/Kristaps is a pretty dirty combo if you don't have the players you want. Porzingis especially is amazing.

I've gotten real lucky with my few packs so far though.
WAkTH6q.jpg
Not pictured, James Worthy, Gervin, Dell Curry, Shawn Kemp, Ray Allen. Pretty excited.

Oh yeah I got John Wall, and what the hell is up with his stats? Trey Burke's stats are insane in comparison. I got Lowry as well but didn't check his yet.
Any tips on getting rebounds? Playing on Switch and so far can't get a damn rebound when I go after the ball.
It's really finicky. Every time I go up for what I'd expect is the right time, they appear to be going for a block instead. I've got 3's and dunks timing down pretty well, but if there's a fadeaway or a layup it may as well be handing the other team the ball for free, that shit is horrendous. Lay ups shouldn't be that hard.

v1lla21

I got Chamberlain and Lillard
Actually I've been playing with Drexler not Lillard. Chamberlain and Drexler is pretty good combo

JackEtc

Shaq and AI are ridiculously hard.

I'm running Paul George and Shaq, and cannot beat them. They hit every shot perfect so it's 3pts or 4pts every possession, they steal it away instantly so you can't hold out and wait for your man to jump for oop....shit is so frustrating

BSpot

Anyone else feel like they hit the last game of Tournament 2 (Wade and Bosh) and just get cheated on / ramped up every time? I get how to play this game, and I am decent... but I've played this one round like 10 times now... every time they mount a comeback and get like, flawless steals and fuck me over.

greelay

I got Curry and Pippen from a single silver pack. That was pretty neat. Especially after only getting a legend three out of the six tournament gold packs.

Jagsrock

Banned
Got to play some local multiplayer tonight. It's so good, we were dying at the hilarious animations and some of the absolutely brutal shoves and slaps. It's kinda nice that dunks aren't just easy mode and its possible to fuck 'em up. Almost makes it more rewarding when you pull of an insane one. This game is definitely scratching a much needed itch. Great local multiplayer game. Highly recommend for switch users who want a quick arcade experience.

tmac456

got matched up with my buddy online and was drubbing him. then he gets some secret lottery pick where you have to hit a shot from each designated spot on the floor and it multiplies. ended up hitting a 12pter and lets just say i really wanted to shatter my controller

sure seems like the most ridiculous lottery picks happen when a player is getting smashed. such trash.

JackEtc

FINALLY got a good lottery power up in the final game of tournament mode, the shot multiplier that increases every time, and AI or Shall STOLE IT EVERY TIME I CROSSED HALF COURT, the entire powerup timed down and I didn't get ONE shot with it.

SMFH

Tried double paul georges, that was no good. Now trying porzingis and KD

Top Bottom