• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I think I just noticed on Switch, you can steal continuously without losing stamina. Hopefully that fix comes with online play and that patch.

sethbot

Was breezing through tournament mode until I hit Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in the finals in Paris. (Clippers in the finals? Lol) they have ridiculous steal rates, so I haven't been able to beat them yet.

JackEtc

This game is hard as shit, idk what it is for me lmfao I'm struggling on the second team in the tournament

Maybe I'm used to 2K timing?

EDIT: Just beat them lmao. So what is the dunk mechanic? You release R2 or square at the right time, and keep holding which? Also not sure how the button combos work for switching over to the recipient of the alley oop lol

NFreak

Made it through all of the tournaments. The AI gets stupid after a certain point, but I like the game other than that. I will say though, I wish the defensive game were better here. Maybe that's just due to me playing only AI characters so far but blocking seems a bit too tough and stealing seems random. I also wish there were some sort of timing based mechanic to steal passes. I might be missing something in the controls so feel free to let me know, but that's my HOT TAKE after playing for a few hours.

Man Shaq getting 4 straight perfect release 3 pointers against me on the last tournament final is some bullshit.

This game is hard as shit, idk what it is for me lmfao I'm struggling on the second team in the tournament

Maybe I'm used to 2K timing?

EDIT: Just beat them lmao. So what is the dunk mechanic? You release R2 or square at the right time, and keep holding which? Also not sure how the button combos work for switching over to the recipient of the alley oop lol

To dunk have at list 50% stamina when you reach the rim and then sprint with R2 and then press square at the same. Try not to hold square down for too long or too little.

I made the mistake of going in with too little stamina and ending up doing a layup instead of a dunk.

maruchan

just got this game its fun, got shaq on my frist gold pack.

also, any word if they will get the sonics on this.. i got shawn kemp in a cavs uni.. blah..

i want sonics, Gary payton, kemp, durant,

JackEtc

To dunk have at list 50% stamina when you reach the rim and then sprint with R2 and then press square at the same. Try not to hold square down for too long or too little.

I made the mistake of going in with too little stamina and ending up doing a layup instead of a dunk.

Okay that's a big help, thanks. Yeah I was getting pissed at my guys going in doing layups.

The AI seems to build super SO much fast than I as well

derFeef

Is it me or does the second tournament area look way worse on the switch? It's like the screen is covered in vaseline... ugh.

Also I hope there will be LOTS of content update and yes I want guest characters, a lot of them.

Matticers

just got this game its fun, got shaq on my frist gold pack.

also, any word if they will get the sonics on this.. i got shawn kemp in a cavs uni.. blah..

i want sonics, Gary payton, kemp, durant,

They're supposedly going to add a way to change jerseys/teams for players who were on multiple teams in their career. I guess it'll be in a future patch. There are a quite a few players in the game who are on teams that just make no sense for them to be on. Like Kemp on the Cavs. Or Parish on the Bulls. It will be nice if we get a little roster control and we're able to switch them around, especially since you can pick any combination of players you want so it's all cosmetic anyway.

If I'm losing the finals of a tournament is it better to take the loss or dashboard quit?

Don't want to have to keep playing early rounds if there's a way to avoid it. Haven't lost yet so not sure if you can rematch the finals without replaying earlier rounds

ctfg23

If I'm losing the finals of a tournament is it better to take the loss or dashboard quit?

Don't want to have to keep playing early rounds if there's a way to avoid it. Haven't lost yet so not sure if you can rematch the finals without replaying earlier rounds
If you lose you can just replay that round, you don't start over.

unrealist

If I don't follow bball, is this still a fun game? I liked NBA Jam on the Genesis years ago. How do I know which players are good? I only know MJ lol

maxmars

If I don't follow bball, is this still a fun game? I liked NBA Jam on the Genesis years ago. How do I know which players are good? I only know MJ lol

Yeah you don't need to know the sport inside out, it's just a fun, arcade-y sport game. As for players, you always have players' stats available when you need to choose.

JackEtc

Shot/dunk timing differs per character, right?

Currently running with Westbrook and KAT. Are there multiple versions of players? My Westbrook is a Legend or something. I'm assuming it's a player rank and not a card rank that has variations

This game is sort of fun but it needs some serious tweaking. the scoring is just ridiculous (12pt shot). There needs to be an option to turn off the vibration on the Switch version. The timing for shots seems a little off especially on lay ups, I've yet to hit a single one
Does this game work well in Switch tabletop mode, with 1 joycon each? Has anyone tested?
I assume so seeing as how in the controls option it shows the joycons on their side. Whether or not they work well I'm not sure but I'll find out tomorrow

TDonk

I'm interested

But I really wish you could turn off the feet squeaking sound on basketball games.

It goes through me, to the point I find basketball ball games difficult to play

dreamfall

Bill Russell with the 10 BLK skill, golden and all. That last match of Las Vegas was brutal, but we in there! Still haven't gotten Shaq :/

How do you unlock new packs after you complete all the tournaments? The leveling is much slower.

dimmer

I was replaying NBA JAM Remix for PS3 the last couple of days. Is it worth investing in NBA Playgrounds or is it too much of the same?

Gators300

Banned
Played for about four hours last night on Switch. This is the type of game I would probably only play in handheld mode, (and never would have bought on my X1/PS4/PC) so they got a sale there just for the portability.

I also saw that they are patching in online play and also greatly improving load times, which is my only real criticism of the game so far, (besides the very steep learning curve). I know I could have fun with this online or by myself, but handing a joy-con over to someone who's never played would be incredibly frustrating for them due to all of the precise timing and button presses required to actually make baskets.

Anyway, this is a solid release for Switch at $20 and will hold me over until NBA2K18 comes out on the Switch in September. Graphics seem a little soft in portable mode, but overall the game plays smoothly and looks fine to me. I have a beast PC for awesome graphics, and this game is perfectly fun/fine with how it looks in portable mode. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be patched to 720p, but even if it doesn't I am fine with it since it has a nice, stable framerate. Recommended if you enjoy basketball.

Picked up for PS4 because Im craving a game like this, and in hopes Id like it better than the demo. Lucky for me, the $20 gamble paid off. Enjoying this quite a bit, even if steals are way too easy to perform, and dunks and layups need to be much closer to being a sure thing if undefended. Everyone here having much better luck with packs than I am though! Best two players Ive gotten are Ray Allen and Tim Hardaway, but playing Ray and some dude off the Magic who is my inside guy. Although with 3's being so much easier, probably will just run a small 2 and play Tim as well.

Played 3 online, went 2-1. Lost my second game because dude had a gold Steph Curry and a silver KD. 😐

Could see picking this up for Switch as well, would be fun to play with my buddies.

Starting to feel like PS4/Xbone is the way to go unless you have to play undocked

It looks sharp on my Pro and the locales really shine. You can read all the lettering on the restaurant in Paris

Starting to feel like PS4/Xbone is the way to go unless you have to play undocked

It looks sharp on my Pro and the locales really shine. You can read all the lettering on the restaurant in Paris

Switch is the way to go if you want any kind of portability. Most people will want or need that these days.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
As a Thunder fan, I know this Harden/Durant Shanghai final is going to trigger me more than Mario Kart. The AI is starting to get a little silly.

maxmars

Yeah. Works as well as expected. Played a few matches with a friend yesterday. He got hooked. XD

How do you set that up in game? Didn't see the option. Or perhaps you have to setup the joycons mode in the Switch menu like for Snipperclips?

anybody here playing on switch? I did not see good things about this game on switch, seems to have poor graphics and horrible loading times.

Spades

anybody here playing on switch? I did not see good things about this game on switch, seems to have poor graphics and horrible loading times.

I have the Switch version. It's very ugly and very blurry. Loading times aren't horrendous. I've been playing quite a bit (I'm reviewing for Switch Player Magazine) and have enjoyed the gameplay, but yeah, it's ugly.

f@luS

More than a member.
I have the Switch version. It's very ugly and very blurry. Loading times aren't horrendous. I've been playing quite a bit (I'm reviewing for Switch Player Magazine) and have enjoyed the gameplay, but yeah, it's ugly.
It's not ugly docked. I played the PS4 beta (demo?) and docked switch is allright. I prefer having portability choice over few shadow and clarity

jmizzal

Switch version isn't bad at all, and I'm playing on a 65" 4K OLED. Worth it for portability.

Yup i'm playing on a 43 inch 4K tv and Switch version looks fine to me, and 60fps is great, having a tone of fun, playing with the pro controller so not having the hd rumble issue

I dont mind not having online just yet, gives me a chance to beat all the tournaments and unlock more players, but hopefully its up by Friday.

Chitown B

thanks Captain Obvious. This will always be the case. But considering the benefit of portability vs having a few more lines of resolution, the Switch can win out a lot of times. And this is one of those times.

Was breezing through tournament mode until I hit Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in the finals in Paris. (Clippers in the finals? Lol) they have ridiculous steal rates, so I haven't been able to beat them yet.

I got the CP3 epic card in my first pack and haven't won by less than 15 points against the cpu opponents. His steal rate seems absolutely broken, and he can just send Willis Reed for an alley oop attempt that seems to work 9 out of 10 times.

I think I might hate this game. Three point shooting is devoid of any challenge. Rebounding is incomprehensible to the point where I've resigned myself to not even jumping and just shagging floor boards. The enemy AI difficulty spikes feel extremely cheap (big men hitting several perfect release, shot clock beating three pointers in a row). I'm going to keep wrestling with this game for a bit longer, but I came out of my first session feeling like this is just a shitty version of NBA Jam.

fernoca

How do you set that up in game? Didn't see the option. Or perhaps you have to setup the joycons mode in the Switch menu like for Snipperclips?
Pretty much.
In the Switch menu, you go into the controller settings, change grip order and initiate each sideway joycon. Same as Snipperclips and Skylanders.

how do you do the signature moves where the player glows? Done it a few times, but no idea how. Is it just random?

Also how exactly do you do the spectacular dunks?

Top Bottom