• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

got matched up with my buddy online and was drubbing him. then he gets some secret lottery pick where you have to hit a shot from each designated spot on the floor and it multiplies. ended up hitting a 12pter and lets just say i really wanted to shatter my controller

sure seems like the most ridiculous lottery picks happen when a player is getting smashed. such trash.

It's not a secret, you unlock it from doing the tournaments. But yea that power up can be brutal, especially considering it lasts a whole minute.

modsbox

So it seems by deleting the save game you can then restart the opening set of packs, and those packs give you at least a few top players. First time I booted up the game I got Kyrie.

For those of you that desperately want a certain player on your team, this seems to be a solid way to get started with it. Just keep deleting the save and starting it up, grabbing your initial players and then quit if they suck.

The question for the audience then is, did any of you get Steph Curry from that first startup? If so I will nuke my save and grind for him later tonight, my son is a massive fan and would love to have him.

Are there some players besides the Legends that you can't get at startup? If you get lucky you can get LeBron or Steph right?

I don't have a huge problem getting my ball stolen in tournaments and I think it's because I aim to inbound at around just before half court. Never gets picked off and from there its pretty easy to get to at least the 3 point line with a crossup. Don't pass it too much farther than half court though because it will get picked off beyond that.

Going for dunks is another story though. Seems like I get blocked half the time in the higher tourneys.

modsbox

Anyone else feel like they hit the last game of Tournament 2 (Wade and Bosh) and just get cheated on / ramped up every time? I get how to play this game, and I am decent... but I've played this one round like 10 times now... every time they mount a comeback and get like, flawless steals and fuck me over.

I beat them first try with Lowry / Robinson. Go for blocks every time on D with Robinson to get lottery picks, then literally every time on offense take a 3 with lowry from the bottom half of the screen, 45 degrees around. You can do it without getting blocked and get 4 if you can hit perfect shot a lot. At least from my experience so far with the game that 45 degree angle (like if you extended the elbow out) on the bottom half is great for 3s and without question shots taken from the bottom half of the screen are less able to be blocked. They must have messed up the physics such that jumping to block a shot near the top half is easier; for me it's like night and day.

sneas78

Banned
Man ... I can't hit any shots .. got lucky a few times.. but no idea what I was doing right. It would be a lot more fun if I figure out how to make shots .. especially dunks.

Schnozberry

Giantbomb mentioned that it lacks a certain charme. Do you guys agree?

It lacks polish, but local multiplayer is a lot of fun. I played at a friend's house and had a good time, but the shooting mechanics feel a bit kludgey and the AI in the later tournaments is really punishing. I had two back to back steals lead to turnaround half court 3 pointers just in the handful of games I played today. It's especially frustrating when you build a nice lead and the AI gets the power ups, steals, and perfect shots necessary to hit repeated 8 point shots and erase your lead in a few possessions.

derFeef

Compared to JAM, definitely. It lacks the polish, colors, sweet dunks and oh boy the commentator.
I disabled the commentators and now it's better somehow, it feels purer and not as "try to be funny but not actually funny"

JackEtc

HOW IS EVERY SHOT A PERFECT SHOT, ALLEN IVERSON?? HAND IN THE FACE FADAWAY HALFCOURTOUSIGAHLGLK

I disabled the commentators and now it's better somehow, it feels purer and not as "try to be funny but not actually funny"

Yeah this is a good spotify/podcast game, GBEncore has been keeping me company during my AI/Shaq grind

Spy

After putting in a good amount of time with the game; I would probably give it a strong 7 because I'm a huge fan of basketball. It's nowhere near as good as NBA Jam or NBA Street but it's solid nonetheless. I'm not a huge fan of the art direction or user interface as it screams cheap mobile game but obviously that can't really be changed at this point. Below are the gameplay quirks that tend to bother me...

-Rebounding is the worst aspect of the game. There's no point to jump for a rebound as you need such pinpoint accuracy to grab the ball out the air it's not worth the risk. Whether I'm playing against expert AI or people online, I almost always get the rebound if I'm the one NOT to jump.
-3-pointers are the second worst thing. Even with an average 3-point rating you can consistently make them if you have the timing down. I destroy people online with Curry as it feels impossible to miss. Needs to be toned down a lot.
-Stealing does need a slight nerf but it's not as overpowered as people claim, just learn to crossover at the right moment.
-Jump Ball should not go up and drop in slow motion, it should be in real time.

Lastly, I'm a believer in giving the user options. There should be a way to turn off the silly lottery pick bar and extra point scoring for perfect releases if the person playing wants a slightly purer basketball experience.

maxmars

There isn't much outside of the actual gameplay. Even the UI effects when you open up the booster packs are rather crude. Probably more evident on a PS4 where it sits along a lot of high production value games from the past years.

It's a game where you spend 99% of the time playing anyway.

TI82

Banned
played one game... disappointed I bought this (on switch at least) and hope the gameplay is fixed in patches.

ekim

Is your joycon vibration also going crazy in this game when you hit the punch button in defense? (Switch)

maxmars

Is your joycon vibration also going crazy in this game when you hit the punch button in defense? (Switch)

Only if your stamina is depleted (acts as a warning and currently can't be turned off, but you can turn off rumble in the Switch menu of course)

MarveI

Has anyone pulled anything better than an epic card in the first 3 starter packs ? Seems like Epic is the best card you can get.

Xliskin

Just watched EZA playing it and it looks fun as hell

-Rebounding is the worst aspect of the game. There's no point to jump for a rebound as you need such pinpoint accuracy to grab the ball out the air it's not worth the risk. Whether I'm playing against expert AI or people online, I almost always get the rebound if I'm the one NOT to jump.
-3-pointers are the second worst thing. Even with an average 3-point rating you can consistently make them if you have the timing down. I destroy people online with Curry as it feels impossible to miss. Needs to be toned down a lot.
-Stealing does need a slight nerf but it's not as overpowered as people claim, just learn to crossover at the right moment.
-Jump Ball should not go up and drop in slow motion, it should be in real time.

I think this is good why should you miss if you had the timing down ?!!

Moondrop

Banned
Because players with longer, heavier limbs should have worse motor control than players who are shorter and lighter. Why do you think guards shoot a better free throw percentage than forwards and centers?

I really want this game because I want to mix-and-match eras, but the gameplay reviews leave me on the fence for now.

derFeef

Just watched EZA playing it and it looks fun as hell

Then why even create a roster and have playerstats? They should rework this imo... JAM felt good and was fun for a reason. Choose Coleman for amazing three point stats but lack the stealing skills - and so on.

Xliskin

Because players with longer, heavier limbs should have worse motor control than players who are shorter and lighter. Why do you think guards shoot a better free throw percentage than forwards and centers?

I really want this game because I want to mix-and-match eras, but the gameplay reviews leave me on the fence for now.

I agree that players with heavier limbs should be difficult to pull off 3 pointer but not like they have to be impossible to do it

Bought on Switch, last BBall game was NBA JAM TE on SNES.
I suck hard, can't get many shots in because I don't have the timing down, but I like the game so far.

Moondrop

Banned
I agree that players with heavier limbs should be difficult to pull off 3 pointer but not like they have to be impossible to do it
Agreed, and I haven't played the game. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this thread but it reads as if 3-pointers are viable on every possession for every character, and that would be too arcade-y for my tastes. Or maybe people are just referring to the AI.

Did anyone else play the crap out of NBA showtime on the dreamcast?
That was awesome, the character models were pretty rough but the animation was great, and the commentator was jam inspired for sure.

Ponchito

Played it for a few hours on Switch. Its fun. A few tweaks away from being great. Commentary is lackluster and the package feels low budget overall (production values)

Grassy

Has anyone pulled anything better than an epic card in the first 3 starter packs ? Seems like Epic is the best card you can get.

I think I got two epic cards in my first 3 packs. I got a Legendary in my gold pack for beating the first tourney though(James Harden).

j-wood

Do the powerups activate automatically? Or is there a button I need to press? I like the game so far, but wish it had more of a tutorial mode.

Ponchito

Do the powerups activate automatically? Or is there a button I need to press? I like the game so far, but wish it had more of a tutorial mode.

I think you can just pull any move off when you have the full meter. You don't need to press anything else. You just shoot or dunk and it will go in no matter if you release early or late.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
There must be some sweet spots where threes go in easier. Just played my first game online and my opponent rarely shot from anywhere other than two specific spots on the floor.
And it seemed that they were able to knock the ball loose from quite far away from me, meanwhile I would D-up and pressure the ball and had way less steals than they did. They actually didn't even move much. Would let me dribble by them and then when it appeared I was at least two arms length away from the defender I would hear the steal sound and see the ball get knocked loose.

MarveI

I think I got two epic cards in my first 3 packs. I got a Legendary in my gold pack for beating the first tourney though(James Harden).

Same here. Except I got Pip. Hows Harden ?

Btw so legendary players have signature moves right ? Any specific way to trigger those ?

jmizzal

Shaq and AI are ridiculously hard.

I'm running Paul George and Shaq, and cannot beat them. They hit every shot perfect so it's 3pts or 4pts every possession, they steal it away instantly so you can't hold out and wait for your man to jump for oop....shit is so frustrating

yea Shaq was stopping and popping from 3 lol, but I finally beat them

Same here. Except I got Pip. Hows Harden ?

Btw so legendary players have signature moves right ? Any specific way to trigger those ?

Depends on the player, AI signature crossover is just the crossover button, some players have signature shots, I just used the turbo button and crossover button and he does it sometimes

Brunire

I think it is just because getting a legendary in a normal pack has very low odds. I have opened about 15 normal packs and only pulled 1 legendary from them.

Won the first tournament and pulled Karl Malone, will swap him with Mourning and see how he does EPIC Spud Webb has been good so far.

Got Jason Kidd too in NYC pack.

I got Legendary Steph from a normal pack. I honestly feel like most my gold packs have been shitty, and I'm getting lots of duplicates now. My last few packs have been averaging 1-2 new cards and the grind for new packs is getting real.

bumpkin

Speaking of "Legendary," why exactly is Iverson one of them? He never even won an NBA Championship... :)

I think Magic Johnson is the only legendary card I've gotten so far out of the three or four gold packs I've won by playing tournaments.

Amneisac

Speaking of "Legendary," why exactly is Iverson one of them? He never even won an NBA Championship... :)

I think Magic Johnson is the only legendary card I've gotten so far out of the three or four gold packs I've won by playing tournaments.

Seriously? AI is definitely in the "legendary" class of player. He's in the Hall of Fame and he was MVP the year he went to the finals. Also made the all star team 11 times.

Top Bottom