• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

taparoo

I've been running Curry and David Robinson. Curry for 3's, obviously, and I use Robinson on defense to camp under the basket for blocks and for pushing people over..... :). Beat the final duo pretty easily with this strategy. The little guy lays on the ground for like 3 seconds after getting pushed over by Robinson. Poor guy.

So frustrating. Seems impossible for me to win the final. I can't steal to save my life even a perfectly placed steal is a no go unless the AI grants me one, I contest so many shots and usually those would result in missed shots for the opponent but all of them go in, not only that all of them perfect too. From halfcourt, hand in face doesn't matter. Every possession they score. Why did they make it so insanely frustrating ?

Any tips ? I can't go for the alley-oop as the opponent just steals the ball from the passer and I have Stockton but strangely I can't drill 3s with him. Can't get the timing right. I release it shortly after 1 seconds no go, 2 seconds no go, 3 nope.

I also picked one quick player with high 3 point and steal stats (Curry) and one that's good at dunking and blocks (Olajuwon). Olajuwon is also above average at steals which is a plus.

After the first few tourneys, just forget about the challenges and focus on winning. On some of them, it's really hard to both win and get the challenge complete. You can always come back later for challenges. You don't even have to win the game to get credit for them.

In the later tourneys, don't be discouraged if you fall into a deep hole early on. The AI will start hitting perfect shots consistently from everywhere, but it's okay. Don't restart, especially in the 5 minute finals. There's plenty of time to mount a comeback if you get the right powerups. I've come back from being down 20 points multiple times.

Don't get into a 3 point shoot out if you're down big. Instead, go for dunks and get your powerups going. It only takes 2-3 dunks to get full meter. Make sure you take full advantage of whatever power up you get. The 2x dunks, 2x 3pt and star shots all have really good comeback potential. Even the 12 second shot clock seems to cause the AI lots of problems and usually ends up in shock clock violations if you are aggressive on D.

Do not try to force dunks or be too aggressive in the paint when you don't have the stamina for it. It's going to end in a turnover more often than not. Kick out for a safe 3s in these situations. Only take straight jumpers, no leaners. You can pass out mid shot if you need to.

Obvious, but when the opponent has a powerup activated, try to burn as much time as possible on offense to limit its use.

Go for steals and blocks aggressively. Even if you're unsuccessful most of the time, just taking away 1-2 possessions can make a difference. I find the dunks that go into slo mo are the easiest to block manually since the slowdown gives you an extra second to react. CPU will go for a lot of shot fakes too, so don't get fooled. When your meter is at 0, don't be afraid to shove since there's no penalty.

Once you've built up a lead, you can kind of just coast by burning clock and shooting safe 3s. Just be mindful of the opponents meter and their powerups.

reggie186

Really wish I liked this game more than I do. The mechanics are just too rough. Making a layup off of a rebound shouldn't be so hard.

Brunire

Getting these 3 meters in 3 minutes for the trophy is annoying because I keep getting shit that lasts for a minute and I can't build meter while it's counting down. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea.

Shove them during your power up to end it prematurely.

For others who bought this on switch: does the HD rumble seem excessive to you in this game? Whenever the other team steals the ball or makes certain shots the switch will in a way "buzz" twice super loud. This isn't just my Switch, right? I hope they fix this.

MarveI

You're not going to win if you can't hit 3's. You'll get it, takes a bit of practice. The timing is different depending on shooting from a stand-still (ideal), or shooting a runner. He's absolutely money from downtown, once you get the timing down.

I used Stockton and Willis Reed the entire tournament, and I lost once (to Griffin and Paul). You want your other player on your team to be able to block shots and rebound, so choose accordingly. In each game, win the tip off, hit a 3 with Stockton (counts for 4, since it's the first basket). Go for steals, and if not, just try to make the other team just go for short jumpers since they don't miss from anywhere - ideally not a dunk, as that builds meter but easier said than done, I know. Next couple of times down, either dunk it with your big man, or go for an alley oop. Don't get caught in the corner while waiting for an alley oop to trigger, as they'll still the ball from you. Run around close to the 3-point line perimeter and kind of shield the ball with your body then toss it for the oop when the other player is ready. From there, just hope for a good lottery pick power up. Hitting 3's with some of these lottery pick powerups makes all the difference as they can count for big points.
I also picked one quick player with high 3 point and steal stats (Curry) and one that's good at dunking and blocks (Olajuwon). Olajuwon is also above average at steals which is a plus.

After the first few tourneys, just forget about the challenges and focus on winning. On some of them, it's really hard to both win and get the challenge complete. You can always come back later for challenges. You don't even have to win the game to get credit for them.

In the later tourneys, don't be discouraged if you fall into a deep hole early on. The AI will start hitting perfect shots consistently from everywhere, but it's okay. Don't restart, especially in the 5 minute finals. There's plenty of time to mount a comeback if you get the right powerups. I've come back from being down 20 points multiple times.

Don't get into a 3 point shoot out if you're down big. Instead, go for dunks and get your powerups going. It only takes 2-3 dunks to get full meter. Make sure you take full advantage of whatever power up you get. The 2x dunks, 2x 3pt and star shots all have really good comeback potential. Even the 12 second shot clock seems to cause the AI lots of problems and usually ends up in shock clock violations if you are aggressive on D.

Do not try to force dunks or be too aggressive in the paint when you don't have the stamina for it. It's going to end in a turnover more often than not. Kick out for a safe 3s in these situations. Only take straight jumpers, no leaners. You can pass out mid shot if you need to.

Obvious, but when the opponent has a powerup activated, try to burn as much time as possible on offense to limit its use.

Go for steals and blocks aggressively. Even if you're unsuccessful most of the time, just taking away 1-2 possessions can make a difference. I find the dunks that go into slo mo are the easiest to block manually since the slowdown gives you an extra second to react. CPU will go for a lot of shot fakes too, so don't get fooled. When your meter is at 0, don't be afraid to shove since there's no penalty.

Once you've built up a lead, you can kind of just coast by burning clock and shooting safe 3s. Just be mindful of the opponents meter and their powerups.

Thanks for these tips guys.

I couldn't hit a 3 to save my life. But strangely I tried hitting from different positions on the court and when you hit them from between the top and corner spots they all go in. It's crazy. I've hit like 150 3's and missed maybe 2-3. Doesn't matter how bad my release is as long as I shoot from those 2 spots they go in.

Can I ask for another tip regarding steals ? I need 15 steals in 3 minutes. I have Stockton and LeBron (I can get 12 steals max 6 each) but that's my best where I had a lot of luck getting 4-5 steals in 1 possession. I feel like I'm just spamming the steal button hoping it registers. Is there an angle that gives the best chance at a steal ? Like with the 3's ? I feel like stealing from slightly behind from the dribble hand side is better but it's difficult to do that as that leaves the court open for them to attack the basket. Staying in front of them gives me more time and attempts to press the steal button without losing too much ground. I could get 30 steals in exhibition but tournament and specific ones are incredibly hard (AI is superior).

Do I swap Chris Paul for Kidd?

Kidd and Malone were unreal in the second Tournament, Kidd with constant 3's and steals and Malone for dunks and good D.

The semi challenge in Paris is rough. The opposing team wastes time and steals constantly. You have 3 minutes to get 20 points using only 2 point jumpers. (Dunks and layups dont count)

Edit: Guess I'll try Stockton/CP3 combo later.

newsguy

I strategically mix and match players depending on the need. If it's steals I need for a trophy, I'll get 2 guards with high stat. If it's blocks, I used Mutombo and Walton. This works great as you don't necessarily have to win the match to get a gold trophy. So far one of my better combos is Nowitski and Mutombo though. Both can play as big men defensively, but Nowitski does it all on offense, so they're pretty deadly against most teams.

newsguy

The semi challenge in Paris is rough. The opposing team wastes time and steals constantly. You have 3 minutes to get 20 points using only 2 point jumpers. (Dunks and layups dont count)

Edit: Guess I'll try Stockton/CP3 combo later.

Yeah this one sucks. The best thing to do is inbound and immediately do the forward crossover move (right stick to the right) as soon as you get the ball. This will get you past the steal attemp and inside the 3 point line. Once you're in there, spam the elbow button to get the defender off of you. Then just shoot the open jumper. This is pretty foolproof, the only factor is time. I missed it a couple of times making 9 jumpers and not having time for the 10th.

Don't know if I was dreaming or imagining things but I recall reading that this game would be recieving updates, patches, new playgrounds and players free of charge..or am I trippin?? Can anybody back that up? Or shoot a link or something?

Yeah this one sucks. The best thing to do is inbound and immediately do the forward crossover move (right stick to the right) as soon as you get the ball. This will get you past the steal attemp and inside the 3 point line. Once you're in there, spam the elbow button to get the defender off of you. Then just shoot the open jumper. This is pretty foolproof, the only factor is time. I missed it a couple of times making 9 jumpers and not having time for the 10th.

I'll try that out later, thank you. Saving grace in these is there isnt a "must also win the game" stipulation.

nickerous

Finally beat Griffin/Paul last night. First time playing with Ray Allen/Shaq. Wasn't really that close either. Beat them by 7 and never trailed in the game.

joeposh

Okay, after putting a few more hours with this during a flight yesterday, I have to say the one issue that really stands out to me is the computer's ability to steal the ball from me when they definitely aren't within swipping distance.

I noticed it quite a bit when getting a steal or rebound and then attempting a fast break -- I would have a solid few steps on the CPU, and then they'd swipe for the ball, clearly not close enough to make contact with my character, and yet it would magically pop loose.

It's incredibly frustrating and something I hope they address with the first round of updates.

Winning most of my games by 5-10 points right now, bout to start third tournament so bet that'll change AI is capable of some next level cheese

MastAndo

It's kind of a crappy design choice to be able to hit every 3-pointer taken if your timing is right. Having a defender right up on you, with a hand in your face jumping at the same time as you should lower the percentage a bit, depending on the shooter's rating.

I played two guys last night who basically didn't ever miss a three. I shoot pretty well from 3, but it was ridiculous...I guess the saving grace of that is that it doesn't fill up your meter much, so I just went for quick dunks/alley-oops and was lucky enough to get decent enough lottery picks and was able to win.

May start saving packs until I'm desperate to get a better chance of pulling a new card or at least less dupes.

Daily challenges and rewards would be nice.

I'm not having the problem of getting stolen from constantly that you guys are mentioning. How are you guys inbounding the ball? I have my controlled player run up to around half court before the inbounding player passes it in. Don't go too far or it will result in a turnover, but around half court is safe. From there it's just a crossover move to get passed the opponent and then basically a free shot. Just did the consecutive 2 pointer challenge with ease using this method.

May start saving packs until I'm desperate to get a better chance of pulling a new card or at least less dupes.

This is not a bad idea. My latest packs have been so garbage. Literally 4 duplicates and 1 new card in my last few packs.

lPWytxT.jpg

That gif is actually funnier in reverse lol

MastAndo

So once you finish the tournaments, how do you get gold packs? I read somewhere that you get one for every 50 (!) levels, and that's it. That can't be true.

So once you finish the tournaments, how do you get gold packs? I read somewhere that you get one for every 50 (!) levels, and that's it. That can't be true.

Maybe you can get them from leveling up your online rank? Not sure, haven't played enough to find out. As far as single player goes, there doesn't seem to be anyway to get more gold packs as of now.

Another tip I just learned from doing the consecutive dunk challenge. Don't hold on to the ball for too long with one player. If you need to kill clock or wait to recharge stamina for a dunk, just keep passing the ball. You'll notice the computer is constantly passing between themselves before they take their shot when you are aggressive on D. Just make sure your other player is open and not knocked down on the ground when you pass.

Spy

iUS35XA.png

I can't stand what gaming has become. I had a feeling the reason for some odd omissions of players and the fact that you level up so slow after tournament mode is because they were planning on selling packs in the future.

What happened to the good ol' fashioned way of unlocking things by playing the game? If you say it doesn't affect you, that's simply not true. Games like this and Deformers initially make it easy for you to level up but later put a painful grind that otherwise wouldn't be there if they weren't selling some form of DLC to unlock whatever you're trying to get. It's shocking to me that people actually want to pay for things like this and simply makes me feel out of touch.

iUS35XA.png

I can't stand what gaming has become. I had a feeling the reason for some odd omissions of players and the fact that you level up so slow after tournament mode is because they were planning on selling packs in the future.

What happened to the good ol' fashioned way of unlocking things by playing the game? If you say it doesn't affect you, that's simply not true. Games like this and Deformers initially make it easy for you to level up but later put a painful grind that otherwise wouldn't be there if they weren't selling some form of DLC to unlock whatever you're trying to get. It's so shocking to me that people actually ask for things like this and it makes me feel out of touch.
Hmm they said no micro transactions before.
https://twitter.com/nba_playgrounds/status/863052855032160256
Says free here.

Brunire

iUS35XA.png

What happened to the good ol' fashioned way of unlocking things by playing the game? If you say it doesn't affect you, that's simply not true. Games like this and Deformers initially make it easy for you to level up but later put a painful grind that otherwise wouldn't be there if they weren't selling some form of DLC to unlock whatever you're trying to get. It's so shocking to me that people actually ask for things like this and it makes me feel out of touch.

Micro-transactions felt inevitable but this certainly makes it seem more premeditated than they led on.

Spy

Hmm they said no micro transactions before.
https://twitter.com/nba_playgrounds/status/863052855032160256
Says free here.

This is a quote from a Polygon article.

Polygon said:
There are no microtransactions in NBA Playgrounds, although Karch said that if there's a demand for the ability to buy card packs, Saber can always add that feature later.)

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/3/15522640/nba-playgrounds-release-date-impressions-gameplay-video

They're a company just like all of the others that are trying to make money and I can assure you it was their plan all along to sell packs.

Spy

Read my twitter link says free from the developers
BREAKING NEWS: @KlayThompson and more players will be coming for free as we improve the game as well. Stay locked here for more info. ��
I did read it and it means nothing. All of the players will technically be free (ignoring the grind to level up and constant repeat of cards), doesn't mean you won't be able to buy card packs to unlock them.

Yeah the AI tournaments get pretty ridiculous by the end, in the finals the first basket was a perfect shaq fadeaway 3 for 5 points.

Game is really simple and quite flawed, but I had fun for the 4-4.5 hours i played it. Completed the tournaments and the game isn't very fun online imo so I have no reason to grind packs. Especially since the difference in players isn't that apparent IMO. Keep in mind I have Ray Allen (10 in 3s), and Wilt... so there's no real reason to go after the other players, unless you have a specific favorite. I wish there was more of a variance between the players but they all play the same for the most part. My favorite part of the game was opening packs and going down memory lane with the older the players, but they're still missing a lot of guys in this area too.

Brunire

So what's your point?

Basically in the tweet he posted it would have been reassuring to see them reiterate that the players would continue to be free, since they were responding to a question that specifically mentioned buying packs.

By not doing so it makes it seem very likely purchasable packs will be available sooner rather than later.

Point is it becomes a real grind to unlock packs after a while, especially so once you get tourneys out of the way. Then you open your pack and end up getting 3-4 duplicates out of 5. Klay may be "free," but who knows how many hours you'll have to spend trying to unlock him.

jmizzal

I did read it and it means nothing. All of the players will technically be free (ignoring the grind to level up and constant repeat of cards), doesn't mean you won't be able to buy card packs to unlock them.

The problem is that it was a user who asked about them selling packs, they also said they didnt have microtrasaction but if there is demand for it they will add it.

A lot of gamers as so use to buying there way to unlock everything now, they expect it. So dont blame the devs, gamers want to buy stuff so why would they turn down money?

They dont even have it in the game yet so why are you going off on the dev team.

Spy

The problem is that it was a user who asked about them selling packs, they also said they didnt have microtrasaction but if there is demand for it they will add it.

A lot of gamers as so use to buying there way to unlock everything now, they expect it. So dont blame the devs, gamers want to buy stuff so why would they turn down money?

They dont even have it in the game yet so why are you going off on the dev team.
Where did I blame the devs or go "off" on their team? I simply said I don't like what gaming has become because it's obvious the plan was to sell card packs all along due to odd omissions of players as well as the grind to level up (including constant card repeats).

It was a smart thing to not include purchasable card packs at launch because it created a good press narrative, no microtransactions.

Mugy

I'll ask again: what about some crazy and great secret characters. Is there any in this game? that for me its a big plus

Top Bottom