• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

hyp

unlocked Shaq and i'm not missing dunks and actually blocking shots now for what it's worth.

Level 14 and now wins are barely moving the needle for me. Need to win like 10+ games to unlock a pack. It's literally going to take forever to unlock everyone. Doesn't help that half my cards end up being duplicates either.

MrBlonde

This game is so close to great. I think they can get it there.

Agree, I made a post earlier with my complaints and if they get addressed this game would be just about flawless, I hope they do something because tweaks need to be made and im worried they are just going to leave it since its just a $20 arcade game.

Also some of these player stats and the way they perform are really off. John Wall? What were they thinking with his stats, do they watch basketball?

Also I have LeBron and he sucks except for dunking, he should be an absolute beast and I miss so many easy shots and 3s with him. He should be faster and all his stats should be up 1 or 2 more.

Wishful thinking and I know it wont happen but I would love them to update some of these players

Not sure about Lebron because I don't have him yet, but I feel like literally anyone with an above average 3 point rating can shoot near 100% from behind the line as long as you know the timing for them.

I used Jason Kidd for a good amount of tourney games and couldn't miss behind the line. His 3pt rating is only 7.

Not sure about Lebron because I don't have him yet, but I feel like literally anyone with an above average 3 point rating can shoot near 100% from behind the line as long as you know the timing for them.

I used Jason Kidd for a good amount of tourney games and couldn't miss behind the line. His 3pt rating is only 7.

pretty absurd they gave a guy who made 2,000 3's a 7 rating in 3's and gave allen iverson who shot like 31% and attempted half as many as kidd despite being twice the chucker the same rating

NBA HOOPZ still reigns as the only JAMesque game that let you fully customize and manipulate the roster. i remember i was playing hoopz in 2010 and had the roster really glammed up and fairly current by turning scrubs into modern day studs despite the game being a decade old. easily the most underrated JAMalike ever put out.

Finally got Shaq after 11 hours.

v16bbdd.jpg

MastAndo

Unlocked John Stockton and Willis Reed pretty early on, and after 50 or so players unlocked, I still haven't seen much incentive to switch off of them. Stockton is lethal at 3's and maxed out in speed and steals and Reed can dunk, block and rebound well. I was excited to unlock LeBron, but his stats are pretty underwhelming.

Why is there no matchmaking option? It seems to weird to develop a game with online multiplayer in this day and age and not consider adding an option to create a match with a friend.

Also, why did they make Harden shoot right-handed? This game is puzzling.

shanafan

First time lurking in this thread.. anyone else feel that the scoreboard is a little wacky? I am playing on Switch, and basically the scoreboard shows MY SCORE vs CPU SCORE. But, it's the opposite the direction facing the court. Like, my score should be on the right side of the scoreboard because I am playing on the right side of the court.

Your side of the scoreboard references the side of the court you start on (ie. Player 1 on the left side). The basket you are trying to score on is technically your opponent's basket, hence you are playing offense and them defense.

Getting a better handle on layups, even though I still can't really explain it nor does it feel particularly good. Still miss more than I'd like as well. Wish they made the window a little bit more lenient, especially for higher rated players.

Just won my first online game by 2 points. Was getting crushed early on with a double digit deficit, but the dude was basically only going for absurdly long 3s with Bill Russell and getting many perfect shots, whereas I played the long game and focused on building meter with dunks. Powerups made the difference. Shout outs to 2x 3 pointers.

You also get a lot more experience for online wins than in exhibition so that I'm not sure if that whole first to 10 exhibition is the best method for grinding points.

DrDogg

Your side of the scoreboard references the side of the court you start on (ie. Player 1 on the left side). The basket you are trying to score on is technically your opponent's basket, hence you are playing offense and them defense.

Getting a better handle on layups, even though I still can't really explain it nor does it feel particularly good. Still miss more than I'd like as well. Wish they made the window a little bit more lenient, especially for higher rated players.

Just won my first online game by 2 points. Was getting crushed early on with a double digit deficit, but the dude was basically only going for absurdly long 3s with Bill Russell and getting many perfect shots, whereas I played the long game and focused on building meter with dunks. Powerups made the difference. Shout outs to 2x 3 pointers.

You also get a lot more experience for online wins than in exhibition so that I'm not sure if that whole first to 10 exhibition is the best method for grinding points.

You can't change the timer in online games, so you're stuck with 6-10 minute games with all the clock stops. Exhibition Mode is definitely the fastest way to level up.

BSpot

Maybe I'm missing something but when a player earns new moves, is there any way to tell what the heck they are??

Or am I just supposed to one day notice them "in play" by accident?

[edit]

Yeah, For me, I think part of the problem is I assume I'm going up for a DUNK and that has a slowdown, and I'm supposed to release at the peak... but what happens is I hold it too long and inexplicably go for a Layup and thusly am inevitably "late".

[edit again]
Why when I pick my characters are a bunch of teams just not even available. Not grayed out, just not even on the list. I have some decent players but none of them are on teams it will let me pick. WTF?!

pacman85

This looks like a fun game but with the missing players and features, I'm going to wait for an eventual sale. This seems like a prime candidate to get for 50% off (or more) once this current NBA season is over.

Even on Rookie when I'm grinding it seems like the AI never misses and performs spectacular dunks on the regular.

Come on, man! Madden on easy settings is easy.

This game is so close but so far. Come on, Saber. Don't leave us hanging like this.

You can't change the timer in online games, so you're stuck with 6-10 minute games with all the clock stops. Exhibition Mode is definitely the fastest way to level up.

Early on that may be the case. I'm level 15 now and winning an exhibition game barely gives me any experience now. That plus the excessive loading time just to do a rematch makes for a mind numbing experience. I'd rather just play a real game against someone. The time is set at 5 minutes so it really doesn't take that long and wins give a good amount of experience.

Why does it have 2/4 next to the NY tourney even though I beat all 4 games?

You need to do the trophy challenges, not just win the games. If you complete all the challenges, you will unlock a new ball.

Maybe I'm missing something but when a player earns new moves, is there any way to tell what the heck they are??

Or am I just supposed to one day notice them "in play" by accident?

I am wondering this too. I have moved several players up through gold and haven't noticed any particularly new moves. I assume there are some different dunk/crossover animations you only get access to when maxed out.

Lebneney

Banned
How's the Switch version? I like basketball and think it looks fun, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up there, PS4, or PC.

bumpkin

How's the Switch version? I like basketball and think it looks fun, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up there, PS4, or PC.
I have a PS4, but bought it on Switch for the portability factor. I'm happy with the purchase. The biggest knock against it for most is the fact that online play isn't available yet (on Switch), but is coming via a patch soonish. The image quality is a bit rough with some blurriness in spots, simplified player shadowing, and clothing doesn't flow/ripple. The core gameplay experience is identical to the other versions though, it plays fast and smooth.

In the interest of disclosure, I've only played the game in portable mode. Haven't even tried docked yet, so maybe the IQ improves some that way?

Also stats are so off. So many legends are barely better than regular players

I don't think stats matter as much as people think they do for player vs player matches. I don't really notice a huge difference between someone with 7s vs 9s and 10s in any particular category. Kind of like that since it makes many more combinations viable. CPU is another story though.

DrDogg

Early on that may be the case. I'm level 15 now and winning an exhibition game barely gives me any experience now. That plus the excessive loading time just to do a rematch makes for a mind numbing experience. I'd rather just play a real game against someone. The time is set at 5 minutes so it really doesn't take that long and wins give a good amount of experience.

I'm level 18. Exhibition is still faster.

At this point I can't even finish an online game. Every single game my opponent drops. Granted, I'm usually winning by a good 40 points when this happens, but I have gotten to the end of maybe 3 games total in online matches.

Karish

I think being able to play on go + have two joycons for multiplayer anyway is well worth the graphical tradeoffs.

I don't think stats matter as much as people think they do for player vs player matches. I don't really notice a huge difference between someone with 7s vs 9s and 10s in any particular category. Kind of like that since it makes many more combinations viable. CPU is another story though.

I'm sorry but Steph is a 3 in block and LeBron is a 3

Did they even see the Finals last year?

Lebneney

Banned
I have a PS4, but bought it on Switch for the portability factor. I'm happy with the purchase. The biggest knock against it for most is the fact that online play isn't available yet (on Switch), but is coming via a patch soonish. The image quality is a bit rough with some blurriness in spots, simplified player shadowing, and clothing doesn't flow/ripple. The core gameplay experience is identical to the other versions though, it plays fast and smooth.

In the interest of disclosure, I've only played the game in portable mode. Haven't even tried docked yet, so maybe the IQ improves some that way?

I think being able to play on go + have two joycons for multiplayer anyway is well worth the graphical tradeoffs.

Ah kk thank you guys for your input!

jmizzal

I hope online on the Switch version comes out tomorrow, I beat all the tournys and now going for all the trophy's, once I do that I would much rather grid playing online games then vs the computer.

I'm sorry but Steph is a 3 in block and LeBron is a 3

Did they even see the Finals last year?

Haven't seen Lebron's stats yet, but yea that is kind of wack. Should be at least a 5 or 6 at blocking. He doesn't get a ton of blocks in games, but certainly more than Curry.

I'm level 18. Exhibition is still faster.

At this point I can't even finish an online game. Every single game my opponent drops. Granted, I'm usually winning by a good 40 points when this happens, but I have gotten to the end of maybe 3 games total in online matches.

That kind of sucks then because doing exhibitions is tedious as hell. I'm also averaging 1 new player per my last 3 packs. There needs to be a better way to unlock new players.

ViciousDS

Banned
Speaking of "Legendary," why exactly is Iverson one of them? He never even won an NBA Championship... :)

I think Magic Johnson is the only legendary card I've gotten so far out of the three or four gold packs I've won by playing tournaments.

please tell me this is a joke post

MrBlonde

Seriously fuck this game!! I hate bullshit cheap AI. This Blake Griffin/Chris Paul challenge is ridiculous. I can't even move without getting the ball stolen and they never miss. And to top it off after losing multiple times and restarting multiple times because they jump out to an 15 point lead I finally get within 1 point and miss an easy layup as time expires that would of won me the game because this game is bullshit and makes you miss easy shots. I'm probably done unless they patch this mess

Matticers

Seriously fuck this game!! I hate bullshit cheap AI. This Blake Griffin/Chris Paul challenge is ridiculous. I can't even move without getting the ball stolen and they never miss. And to top it off after losing multiple times and restarting multiple times because they jump out to an 15 point lead I finally get within 1 point and miss an easy layup as time expires that would of won me the game because this game is bullshit and makes you miss easy shots. I'm probably done unless they patch this mess

Get used to the AI never missing as you progress into other tournaments. Everything they do seems to become a perfect shot for that extra bonus point, too. Even running leaners from way beyond the arc. It's kind of silly but at least it's easy to score for you too. If you can avoid them when they're determined to steal it from you.

I really think part of the gameplay tweaks needs to be a big tone down for the jump shooting for both human and AI shooting. It's just too easy to drill a three and the AI goes way overboard with it.

The only good thing about the challenges is that once you complete it, it's saved even if you lose the game. So half the time, I just try to beat it without doing the challenge and get more packs from beating the tournament. Then I'll go back later with a better roster to choose from and try to complete the challenge.

MarveI

So frustrating. Seems impossible for me to win the final. I can't steal to save my life even a perfectly placed steal is a no go unless the AI grants me one, I contest so many shots and usually those would result in missed shots for the opponent but all of them go in, not only that all of them perfect too. From halfcourt, hand in face doesn't matter. Every possession they score. Why did they make it so insanely frustrating ?

Any tips ? I can't go for the alley-oop as the opponent just steals the ball from the passer and I have Stockton but strangely I can't drill 3s with him. Can't get the timing right. I release it shortly after 1 seconds no go, 2 seconds no go, 3 nope.

Bog

Junior Ace
Of course my first Legendary is a guy I can't stand (Olajuwon). At least I'll be good at blocks and boards for a while.

Amneisac

Got a refund on Steam. I wanted to like it, I was really excited for it, but ultimately I just don't like the controls. They feel mushy and unresponsive. I'd rather play the EA NBA Jam than this. Really disappointed.

DrDogg

So frustrating. Seems impossible for me to win the final. I can't steal to save my life even a perfectly placed steal is a no go unless the AI grants me one, I contest so many shots and usually those would result in missed shots for the opponent but all of them go in, not only that all of them perfect too. From halfcourt, hand in face doesn't matter. Every possession they score. Why did they make it so insanely frustrating ?

Any tips ? I can't go for the alley-oop as the opponent just steals the ball from the passer and I have Stockton but strangely I can't drill 3s with him. Can't get the timing right. I release it shortly after 1 seconds no go, 2 seconds no go, 3 nope.

I only lost a couple games through all of the tournaments. Here's what I did:

- Pick one player with high 3-point stats so you can shoot a three every time you're on offense to stay ahead. Don't even worry about dunks or anything else.

- In the higher level tournaments you're not going to get many steals, but you should still go for them on the occasions you do get them.

- Pick one player good at blocks. Always control the 3-point shooter on your team and let the AI handle the blocks and rebounds. They won't do it all the time, but they'll have a lot higher accuracy than you will.

- If the other team gets a good power-up, wait as long as you can before taking a shot so you can run down the power-up clock.

- If the other team keeps stealing the ball, use a crossover anytime they're close.

Everything I've found as far as tips and stuff I put here: https://www.primagames.com/games/nba-playgrounds/coverage/nba-playgrounds-wiki-and-guide-all-unlocks

ViciousDS

Banned
i feel so dirty, I love this game so much I triple dipped already. Got the X1 version, the steam version and now my portable switch version

DrDogg

I can't say I like the game. There's just no skill involved with the mechanics the way they are right now. Games come down to who can steal/push the most, and pop the 3 on the other end, then hope you get a good power-up or the other team doesn't get a good power-up. That's it.

Stealing and shooting 3s are just way too easy, while blocking and rebounding are super difficult. Add in no penalty for leaving online matches when you're down and it's just a really bad mixture.

MastAndo

You're not going to win if you can't hit 3's. You'll get it, takes a bit of practice. The timing is different depending on shooting from a stand-still (ideal), or shooting a runner. He's absolutely money from downtown, once you get the timing down.

I used Stockton and Willis Reed the entire tournament, and I lost once (to Griffin and Paul). You want your other player on your team to be able to block shots and rebound, so choose accordingly. In each game, win the tip off, hit a 3 with Stockton (counts for 4, since it's the first basket). Go for steals, and if not, just try to make the other team just go for short jumpers since they don't miss from anywhere - ideally not a dunk, as that builds meter but easier said than done, I know. Next couple of times down, either dunk it with your big man, or go for an alley oop. Don't get caught in the corner while waiting for an alley oop to trigger, as they'll still the ball from you. Run around close to the 3-point line perimeter and kind of shield the ball with your body then toss it for the oop when the other player is ready. From there, just hope for a good lottery pick power up. Hitting 3's with some of these lottery pick powerups makes all the difference as they can count for big points.

I only lost a couple games through all of the tournaments. Here's what I did:

- Pick one player with high 3-point stats so you can shoot a three every time you're on offense to stay ahead. Don't even worry about dunks or anything else.

- In the higher level tournaments you're not going to get many steals, but you should still go for them on the occasions you do get them.

- Pick one player good at blocks. Always control the 3-point shooter on your team and let the AI handle the blocks and rebounds. They won't do it all the time, but they'll have a lot higher accuracy than you will.

- If the other team gets a good power-up, wait as long as you can before taking a shot so you can run down the power-up clock.

- If the other team keeps stealing the ball, use a crossover anytime they're close.

Everything I've found as far as tips and stuff I put here: https://www.primagames.com/games/nba-playgrounds/coverage/nba-playgrounds-wiki-and-guide-all-unlocks

This. Exactly. Won everything with Steph Curry and Bill Walton. Once I stopped doing anything but shoot 3's I never lost, not even to Shaq/AI. Walton has 9/9 block and rebound and he really held it down

Ascenion

Getting these 3 meters in 3 minutes for the trophy is annoying because I keep getting shit that lasts for a minute and I can't build meter while it's counting down. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea.

Top Bottom