• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's gonna be a rematch again this year but cavs win instead.

the way i imagine cleveland winning the finals is curry slips on a banana peel in game 3 of this series, is out until game 6 of the WCF, promptly stubs his toe diving for a loose ball and is out for the finals

Eos

That's fine.

the way i imagine cleveland winning the finals is curry slips on a banana peel in game 3 of this series, is out until game 6 of the WCF, promptly stubs his toe diving for a loose ball and is out for the finals

Well if bron puts up those stats like last year + kyrie and love doing work, it's definitely possible, but they'll need a 2-1 lead again imo. but idk if he can go all out with kyrie there... since he's also a ball hog.

kyrie basically needs to play like he did in game 1 last year for the whole series (great offense, average defense), which isn't too tall an order, and love just needs to be able to play without some long-haired canadian ripping his arm off and beating him to death with it

(that, and the bench needs to not play like trash for 4 games. which could be a bridge too far.)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ridiculous atmosphere at the ACC.

I was in box seats tonight and man made the game that much better once we got the win.

Big ups to the Toronto crowd, they were tense but never gave up. Kept pushing the Raps forward every time they'd hit a slump.

Second round feels so good gurl!

Myles Turner needs to work on his shot. He's damn good. But he has a long way to go. I liked what I seen of him.

You Myles Turner is like automatic from 17ft out. I just think that the pressure of game 7 got to him being a rookie. He's gonna be a special one though.

PacersGAF you alright. Paul George is a monster but he needs help and he can't do it alone.Its kinda like a Hockey team with only one Great Forward everyone else is just grinders or 3rd line guys that can sometimes play good.

Indiana with some new pieces gonna be insane. PG is literally that good.

Eos

Imagine if the Pacers had kept Leonard... Kawhi and PG probably would have been the deadliest 2-way wing duo since Jordan and Pip

Gigglepoo

Congrats Raptors fans. The Pacers have no one to blame but themselves. They played bad for a solid quarter so I can't blame the refs for a couple missed calls.

Imagine if the Pacers had kept Leonard... Kawhi and PG probably would have been the deadliest 2-way wing duo since Jordan and Pip

George Hill has been great for the Pacers. It was a win/win trade.

Marz

What is this? The same cavs that swept Detroit in 4 games and has been chilling watching all this fuck ball being played in the east. Yes, those Cavs.

Yup pretty much. People acting like the series went 7 games or something. Lebron and co. all rested up.

Fjordson

Varejao man. Guy sucks. Kerr playing him is so confusing.

I don't see the Cavs beating the Warriors with Curry, Green and Klay having improved so dramatically over last year. Don't think they beat the Spurs either.

But as a Dubs fan, I worry that Steph, even if he's back and mostly healthy for the WCF, will be rusty or tentative with his knee. Which could cause them to lose the series if so. He was able to score a lot on SA's defense this year, but it took a variety of looks and drives past the bigs when SA switched the pick & roll. SA doesn't just let him chill outside and bomb 3's.

I don't see the Cavs beating the Warriors with Curry, Green and Klay having improved so dramatically over last year. Don't think they beat the Spurs either.

But as a Dubs fan, I worry that Steph, even if he's back and mostly healthy for the WCF, will be rusty or tentative with his knee. Which could cause them to lose the series if so. He was able to score a lot on SA's defense this year, but it took a variety of looks and drives past the bigs when SA switched the pick & roll. SA doesn't just let him chill outside and bomb 3's.

fwiw the only way i see cleveland having a shadow of a chance of winning against GS is if curry flat-out doesn't play, and even then it's gonna take 7 and there's literally zero margin for error, on account of the dubs just won 73 for several good goddamn reasons (up to and including livingston not being any slouch at the 1, such that irving still doesn't really win the matchup)

i feel better against SA, but even that assumes that both regular-season games were indicative of anything (namely that both teams were in a regular-season gear). it'd still be a long slog of a series in the event of a cavs win, but that one would at least make some sense.

(plus kyrie would probably win FMVP in that event)

Servbot24

Banned
With Kyrie and Love playing well I think Cavs beat Curry-less GSW in the playoffs (in the regular season GSW still wins). Lebron is gonna have more drive than just about anyone.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I have a feeling a feeling the cavs will not make it to the finals. I think they are one bad loss away from having a meltdown. Can't place my finger on it but I'm not that confident like you guys are.

El Topo

I have a feeling a feeling the cavs will not make it to the finals. I think they are one bad loss away from having a meltdown. Can't place my finger on it but I'm not that confident like you guys are.

I had the same feeling, but then the rest of the East played like shit and I became convinced that the Cavs would walk through the competition.

Marz

I think you guys are really underestimating Lebrons greatness. He literally won 2 finals games almost by himself last year against this same squad.

Servbot24

Banned
Well I think people are not giving Cleveland enough credit... Shit If J.R Smith has one decent 20 point game Cleveland wins the title last year he was MIA. Kyrie is just getting warmed up and if he is not injured he will be a problem. I am leaving out love and Lebron. I mean Cleveland has a really good team. It all falls on them though have all the pieces to win it all... if they don't look at themselves.

They're solidly the third best team imo, and they do have a shot, but GSW and Spurs are both two of the best teams in history.

Is it just me, or is there a strong bias against the NBA on Sports Center? I've always felt this way, but this year it seems particularly bad. I know more about MLB's opening (representing the most declining sport in the states) and the NHL's playoffs (a sport that has declined, but has reversed its trend somewhat in recent years) more than I know about the NBA Playoffs this year (admittedly, also declining).
Pretty frustrating that I can't get any updates or highlights in the morning anymore before work.

Ripenen

Well I think people are not giving Cleveland enough credit... Shit If J.R Smith has one decent 20 point game Cleveland wins the title last year he was MIA. Kyrie is just getting warmed up and if he is not injured he will be a problem. I am leaving out love and Lebron. I mean Cleveland has a really good team. It all falls on them though have all the pieces to win it all... if they don't look at themselves.

Cleveland has a great team. The Spurs and Warriors have great teams AND incredible coaches. That can make a huge difference in a finals series.

phanphare

Banned
so file this under reading too far into someone's tweets but Batum said this on twitter:

There is a lot we will learn from this season to get better.
Buzz City thank you for your support. You are awesome !

https://twitter.com/nicolas88batum/status/726885526029094913

that first sentence makes it seem like he intends to stay in Charlotte. that would be huge.

Courtney Lee also said in a post game interview that he hopes everyone comes back next season and he's also a free agent. if we keep those two guys that would be big.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Honestly, the Cavs' outlook doesn't look very good if/when they go to the finals.

It's either a GS team that has dramatically improved since last year and actually wants to prove they can beat Cleveland with all their troops. This GS team, when locked in, is unstoppable....Or it's a Spurs team that just will out-play Cleveland. I have no idea who is going to guard LMA. And while no one locks down LeBron, Kawhi can do just about as well as anyone in the NBA could, so he could at least quell playoff LeBron so that he isn't literally winning multiple games on his own. And then there's the fact that the Spurs are exceptionally better coached than Cleveland...and well

RIP Cavs

What could realistically happen during the offseason that would propel another East team to contend with Bron's Cavs or surpass them? Like even if Durant went to Wiz and plays with John Wall, would that even do it? Just seems like the rest of the East is still so far away from providing a legitimate contender aside from LeBron.

Ronin Ray

Is it just me, or is there a strong bias against the NBA on Sports Center? I've always felt this way, but this year it seems particularly bad. I know more about MLB's opening (representing the most declining sport in the states) and the NHL's playoffs (a sport that has declined, but has reversed its trend somewhat in recent years) more than I know about the NBA Playoffs this year (admittedly, also declining).
Pretty frustrating that I can't get any updates or highlights in the morning anymore before work.

I don't know about a strong bias but ESPN has tried over and over to compete with TNT when it comes to the NBA and they cant. So I believe they just treat it kinda of like a second fiddle.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
What could realistically happen during the offseason that would propel another East team to contend with Bron's Cavs or surpass them? Like even if Durant went to Wiz and plays with John Wall, would that even do it? Just seems like the rest of the East is still so far away from providing a legitimate contender aside from LeBron.

Old age basically, Lebron is going to break down eventually. The man has played a lot of games, and without him the Cavs are garbage.

Old age basically, Lebron is going to break down eventually. The man has played a lot of games, and without him the Cavs are garbage.

Kinda sad that it seems the only way the East gets more competitive over the offseason is if its best player degrades. I really hope Durant goes East and maybe Pacers get another piece to play alongside PG. Not that I think it'd be enough to change the balance, but hopefully something at least give us some intrigue.

phanphare

Banned
Marvin Williams said this while wearing a Marvin the Martian tshirt

"There's no question. I want to return. I'll let it be known right now... This is the most fun I've had in a season."

JLin on staying with the Hornets and their chemistry

"I definitely want to play with these guys and for this coach. No question in my mind that I'm interested in coming back."

"I've never seen a group of guys at the professional level, 1-15, get along so well the entire season."

love what MJ, Cho, and Cliff have done with this organization. 2 seasons as the Hornets and the bad taste of the Bobcats feels like a distant memory.

Vestal

A healthy Chris Bosh right now would make the Heat a legit title contender with the way they are playing. I still think the Heat will give the cavs all they can handle in the ecf but I just can't get past the fact that I don't think Dwade can counter LBJ for 4 games. Dwade can have his great moments but not on a back to back game basis given his age.

phanphare

Banned
now reading Al Jefferson's comments. says there's no place he'd rather be than with the hornets, that he wants to end his career here, and that money won't be an issue.

man, they had a really great group of guys this season

Hornets are in the good place team culture wise. It's great seeing Jordan take a more hands off approach to ownership and really just mentoring/supporting the staff. Clifford is a great player's coach. Kemba's a shifty scoring lead guard. I feel like the team is missing a piece though...another solid mismatch creator..I dunno. I get the impression that the team is solid in all phases but isn't spectacular at any one thing.

phanphare

Banned
Hornets are in the good place team culture wise. It's great seeing Jordan take a more hands off approach to ownership and really just mentoring/supporting the staff. Clifford is a great player's coach. Kemba's a shifty scoring lead guard. I feel like the team is missing a piece though...another solid mismatch creator..I dunno. I get the impression that the team is solid in all phases but isn't spectacular at any one thing.

my feelings after this series were that we needed mkg badly. his defense and rebounding could have put us over the top. the two biggest things we lacked were consistent defensive intensity, which mkg brings, and taking care of the boards, which mkg is great at. dude's an elite rebounder at his position and takes pressure off of the bigs. people are going to think this is crazy because we're a small market team and the lack of familiarity but if mkg starts hitting that corner 3 with any kind of consistency he's going to be the next kawhi leonard. bookmark this post.

also looking to frank to take a big step forward this off season. if he gets stronger he's going to be a handful in the paint and his defense is fixable and a loooong way from where it was at the start of the season. he's going to be a big piece going forward. it's still too early to use the "d" word but his ceiling is high.

Fjordson

If Hornets could get an athletic center that could protect the rim, rebound and play some pick & roll they could be a problem. Big Al, Kaminsky and Zeller are all pretty bad in that regard.

phanphare

Banned
that's where mkg is key, he's so good at defending the perimeter and getting boards that it allows us to be successful without a rim protector

zeller in particular is great in the pick and roll game though. not sure where to look this up but I'm pretty sure he set the most screens in the NBA at his position. also worth nothing that until this season he played the 4 so this off season could help him get better at the center spot. also he's very athletic for his size. he would frequently annoy his opponents just by consistently running the floor.

Fjordson

Can Zeller hold up physically playing starter minutes at center though? I guess if he does he would probably the best bet.

MKG is definitely really good, though. His injury woes are a damn shame.

phanphare

Banned
that's the question but cody has surpassed all my expectations so far

he's tough as hell though. he broke his nose last season and played 3 days later refusing to wear the protective mask. joakim noah came down on his eye/nose area with an elbow this season and he went back to the locker room, got 8 stitches, and returned to the game. he's always got claw marks on his shoulders and shit after games. he certainly doesn't shy away from physicality.

edit: looking around I actually found a good article on mkg's defense, which are hard to come by

http://www1.vantagesports.com/Articles/article_view/Vh_mUyEAAEsWKji4

random25

The Pacers could have been a big threat to the Cavs last year up to now if only PG didn't suffer that very bad injury. Freak accidents are part of the game so too bad for us Pacers fans for another possible long stretch of being middle of the pack.

Gigglepoo

I still can't believe the Pacers lost Game 5. They probably over achieved this season (this was a quick and dirty rebuild from the Lance/West/Hibbert era) but I'm still disappointed that they didn't advance.

my feelings after this series were that we needed mkg badly. his defense and rebounding could have put us over the top. the two biggest things we lacked were consistent defensive intensity, which mkg brings, and taking care of the boards, which mkg is great at. dude's an elite rebounder at his position and takes pressure off of the bigs. people are going to think this is crazy because we're a small market team and the lack of familiarity but if mkg starts hitting that corner 3 with any kind of consistency he's going to be the next kawhi leonard. bookmark this post.

also looking to frank to take a big step forward this off season. if he gets stronger he's going to be a handful in the paint and his defense is fixable and a loooong way from where it was at the start of the season. he's going to be a big piece going forward. it's still too early to use the "d" word but his ceiling is high.

MKG is definitely going to be a huge upgrade defensively but on the offensive side of the ball...it seemed like the offense just stalled for long periods of time. Is MKG even a good jump shooter? I remember the knock on him has always been his shot. Most notably, his form being absolutely atrocious.

MKG is definitely really good, though. His injury woes are a damn shame.

MKG is one of my favorite underrated players in the league. The intensity which he plays the game is great and if he starts making shots he could be on the level of a Paul George or something at the very least (not sure Kawhi, but that's not a knock on MKG at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom