• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunder played the Warriors decently though , it'll be a 5/6 game series if they advance

I just don't want the Thunder to play the Cavs, LeBron will just shut down Durant, westbrook went for 50 against the heat in the finals and they still lost

Cavs sweep the Thunder in 4 blow out games

if Leonard, Iggy, Draymond Green, or Danny Green cant shut down KD what makes you think Lebron would lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
if Dwight is serious, he can't go for a max deal

This makes no sense. Why would he take less money for the sake of taking less money? Every team in the league is going to have money to spend the next few years with the cap ballooning and there simply aren't that many guys who can make an impact like Dwight. Dude is going to get the max even with all the questions and its completely justifiable.

if Leonard, Iggy, Draymond Green, or Danny Green cant shut down KD what makes you think Lebron would lol

he basically did in 2012, that Thunder team is way better than this thunder team

This makes no sense. Why would he take less money for the sake of taking less money? Every team in the league is going to have money to spend the next few years with the cap ballooning and there simply aren't that many guys who can make an impact like Dwight. Dude is going to get the max even with all the questions and its completely justifiable.

So they can sign more people, Dwight already made money, sign another max guy

phanphare

Banned
low key really want dwight to come to charlotte now. I think we're an all around good fit for him. he could learn a thing or two from al as well.

I'm shook that the Spurs are down. What is going on X.X

West continues to keeps things interesting

Yeah I definitely not see the Spurs losing this series given how good they usually are during the playoffs. OKC is going to be hype as hell for game 6. Not sure the Spurs can overcome that

he basically did in 2012, that Thunder team is way better than this thunder team

So they can sign more people, Dwight already made money, sign another max guy

no he didnt

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2012-nba-finals-heat-vs-thunder.html

do you have kd confused with some player that didnt average 30 points a game on 55/39/83 shooting with 6 rbs

edit: comparing the 2012 Thunder team to this 2016 Thunder
Record: 47-19
PTS/G: 103.1 (3rd of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 96.9 (17th of 30)
SRS: 6.44 (3rd of 30) ▪ Pace: 93.0 (6th of 30)
Off Rtg: 109.8 (2nd of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 103.2 (11th of 30)
Expected W-L: 46-20 (4th of 30)

Record: 55-27
PTS/G: 110.2 (2nd of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 102.9 (15th of 30)
SRS: 7.09 (3rd of 30) ▪ Pace: 96.7 (10th of 30)
Off Rtg: 113.1 (2nd of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 105.6 (13th of 30)
Expected W-L: 59-23 (3rd of 30)

So no, 2016 > 2012 by a pretty comfortable margin

J2 Cool

I like this Thunder team's experience and Adams/Kanter impact. Them vs Bogut/Green would be pretty interesting. They could get killed on depth, but will just have to go with the short liineup. Spurs with droughts are much more likely to get blown out right now.

Eos

Wasn't able to catch the game but just saw the boxscore and fuck I'm disappointed. Thought spurs would have this in 5 or 6... Pop needs to change the lineups or something, because they get killed when he puts in a lineup that doesn't have aldridge or leonard on the floor.

rambis

Banned
People really fly off the handle with these predictions. I think a healthy GSW is the best team but CLE, OKC and even SA have great shots at beating them. And all other combinations are fairly even as well. All this sweeps and blowouts talk is mostly nonsense.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Wow. Dwight should just retire and take over for shaq on that show...much better spoken and intelligent. Total BS how he had to be publicly patronized by Smith and Barkley. smh. (this coming from someone who is definitely not a d12 fan).

Also, cut the old guy crap about how defense used to be tougher. OK? Can you explain why scoring is down compared to your era? Oh, thats right...you can't - you didn't have to face zones at any point...

offtopic

People really fly off the handle with these predictions. I think a healthy GSW is the best team but CLE, OKC and even SA have great shots at beating them. And all other combinations are fairly even as well. All this sweeps and blowouts talk is mostly nonsense.

It is fair to say that if everyone plays their best game that GSW will just win. Their best isn't beatable by any remaining teams. However, if you catch them in a mediocre shooting and playing mode like they were last year in the finals they can potentially be beat.

ampere

Yeah I definitely not see the Spurs losing this series given how good they usually are during the playoffs. OKC is going to be hype as hell for game 6. Not sure the Spurs can overcome that

Game 1 was a "we're gonna sweep you" statement game, but OKC is matching up well and actually playing 4th quarters

Looking over some more stats for the Thunder over the years.

2013 Team would have had a great chance to win the finals

Record: 60-22
PTS/G: 105.7 (3rd of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 96.5 (9th of 30)
SRS: 9.15 (1st of 30) ▪ Pace: 93.3 (10th of 30)
Off Rtg: 112.4 (1st of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 102.6 (4th of 30)
Expected W-L: 64-18 (1st of 30)

Shame Beverly launched himself at WB's knee

2014 Team was also really strong

Record: 59-23,
PTS/G: 106.2 (5th of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 99.8 (12th of 30)
SRS: 6.66 (3rd of 30) ▪ Pace: 95.4 (9th of 30)
Off Rtg: 110.5 (6th of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 103.9 (6th of 30)
Expected W-L: 58-24 (3rd of 30)

smurfx

get some go again
haven't been following the playoffs too closely but i thought the spurs would have an easy time getting the the western conference finals. is somebody hurt on their team?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
haven't been following the playoffs too closely but i thought the spurs would have an easy time getting the the western conference finals. is somebody hurt on their team?

The 2 best players on the court are wearing OKC jerseys. SA was the favorite but this result isn't surprising especially with some of OKC's role players stepping it up. Still a series though.

I just really don't see how GSW loses a series with all the pieces they have being about as healthy as you could hope for just as we're coming to the final two rounds. Your team can play a damn near perfect game and Curry will fuck around and drop 40 regardless just dribbling defenders out of their sneakers and bombing from 30 feet. I wouldn't give any other team greater than a 25% chance of beating them.

I mean, Durant and Westbrook are two of the best players in the world, and Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are finally starting to show their age. Even so, two of the Spurs' losses really came down to a matter of like 1 or 2 shots bouncing an inch one way or the other. We could easily have been talking about what OKC's future will be like after losing to the Spurs in 5 games.

Fjordson

I just really don't see how GSW loses a series with all the pieces they have being about as healthy as you could hope for just as we're coming to the final two rounds. Your team can play a damn near perfect game and Curry will fuck around and drop 40 regardless just dribbling defenders out of their sneakers and bombing from 30 feet. I wouldn't give any other team greater than a 25% chance of beating them.
FWIW, 538 has Golden State as the title favourites at 51%.

The fix was on for that last possession between Westbrook and Kawhi.

Kawhi grabbed him like linebacker and no foul.. meanwhile Adams trips one player into another and gets a foul.

Thunder's offensive rebounding rate was 50% with David West on the floor, holy shit. He and Duncan just aren't athletic enough to keep up with OKC's bigs.

lol well they have to split it up somewhat. Cavs are the closest at 20%.
True. Guess I just don't see anyone beating a heathy warriors team.

offtopic

That low?

Sure. That figure actually means they are significantly better than everyone left.

It probably factors in a ~65% chance of beating the Spurs and a ~80% chance of beating the Cavs (just my guesses). That adds up to 51% (ok, actually 52%). Thats a rough estimate as other teams still factor in.

Sure. That figure actually means they are significantly better than everyone left.

It probably factors in a ~65% chance of beating the Spurs and a ~80% chance of beating the Cavs (just my guesses). That adds up to 51% (ok, actually 52%). Thats a rough estimate as other teams still factor in.
Yeah makes sense I think I just had a mental hiccup lol

FWIW, 538 has Golden State as the title favourites at 51%.

Well, they still basically have two series left against the toughest opponents they can possibly face. If I gave them a 75% chance of winning each of those series, that'd end up at a ~56% chance of winning it all. Not that farfetched.

Fjordson

Well, they still basically have two series left against the toughest opponents they can possibly face. If I gave them a 75% chance of winning each of those series, that'd end up at a ~56% chance of winning it all. Not that farfetched.
Yeah, I can see it.

Cavs actually have a better chance at the finals (99% lol) which makes sense given the state of Miami and Toronto, but Golden State is favored should they meet them there.

I'm very surprised at okc more than anyone. That's not the team from the regular season.

Maybe sa is also just too old. Don't feel they have really put played them these last two games.

San Antonio really needs a guy like Durant on the team. Really missing that. If parker, Duncan and manu were much younger with these other guys in doubt they can be beat.

I still think of okc or cavs are losing they go into panic disruption mode, but that may not have a chance to happen until okc versus gs or cavs in finals.

They both surprised me quite a bit. They are definitely playing different than thier regular seasons showed me.

I think we saw some signs of the spurs issues in thier last games of the regular season with gs which they simply couldn't win even with some rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom